Winning 25

Andros Townsend?

Ooh, it would be great if only to see the comments about signing another 32 year-old and with a nasty recent injury record!  Seriously though, reading the article you feel for him, there’s a decent player keen to get a game, but you (and he) can understand why no one has taken the punt on him.  Hopefully for him he gets sorted soon.

• Like 2

He seems like one of those players who had a real purple patch and then has had a couple of injuries, played for big sides and been a bit in and out of things.

Certainly a quality player in his prime, it'd be very dependent upon what he has to give now, rather than his previous form. I think I am right in saying that he can play both flanks and has also played in behind a striker too?

The only issue I would have at this point is that we don't really need more wingers, does he offer us something different - as in, would he be good enough to play behind Idah for example? Or would we be having a similar issue of trying to fit him in out wide when surely we are wanting Rowe in every week and then it's a choice of three  to four other players we already have in the other wide position.

• Like 1

I'm not sure he's the right fit for City but you'd think someone would take a punt if he was willing to accept a much lower salary than he's been used to, hopefully he has managed to keep hold of some of the money he's earned in his career but I do know that he had a gambling problem like so many players. 

3 hours ago, splendidrush said:

.....can we afford his wages?....

He is earning £0.00 per week currently and is desperate to find a club 2 months into the season.  He has very little leverage, so if we are interested, I am sure we could put together a package.  For someone in his position, a lower base salary with heavy performance/appearance bonuses would be the way to go.

• Like 2

He is one of those players who might be having a quiet game but is always likely to explode with a match winning shot. We seem short of that sort. Worth a punt for me.

In our current situation it has to be worth a punt. Mind you, with our record he will probably finish his ACL off in training before he even starts a game.

If he was a centre forward, maybe.  But, personally, being a wide player I think we're much better putting minutes into Rowe, Sainz, Fasi, PP etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

No.

It's a shame for him but we can't keep investing on players who will have zero asset value at the end of their contract.

True for the long term. I'm more interested in the here and now at the moment and the importance of staying with the pack until we are back to full strength. We can be a formidable unit with both Sargent and Barnes in full flow, whilst Nunez and Saintz will hopefully have a lot to offer.

We have actually continues with our policy of seeking out and signing quite a few youth players this Summer. I get the impression that there have been a few who seem more 'oven ready' than usual, I could be wrong.

Shows that the life of a footballer isn't all roses.  And to those who wonder where the cash goes agents remain a blight in the game

Sadly I think we have enough options for the wide attackers and I would want to get in the way of the springetts, roles and sainzs atm.  so don't think he is the right player for us this season

Fingers crossed he finds a club who will risk him on a play as you pay basis.

Only on a pay as you play contract....and that he has to tend to as his secondary duties to the Colney vegetable patch...Oh and he's to regularly monitor and log the electrical usage (through its smart meter) of the supreme and stupendous Soccerbot....

Times iz tight....

Only one thing to take from this and it is good for Burnley, sticking to their principles and investing in youth.

Why didn't we do that? 😉 

• Like 1

Well he is earning Zero at money at moment so wages should not be sky high 

playing as a No10 or he could move into a CM 3 i am sure at this level 

has a great shot on him and has that match winner  skill ,

We need that quality and he needs a club to prove he still has it 

Also would be Great person for Rowe to learn his game from 

NO. 

No ambition, how do we get players for the future playing journeymen?      We aren't going up so lets develop something longer term so we can eventually get something with promise, a future and sustainability.   

Springett deserves a go.... Why spend fortunes in wages just to end up 8th or 9th at best!   

14 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Ooh, it would be great if only to see the comments about signing another 32 year-old and with a nasty recent injury record!  Seriously though, reading the article you feel for him, there’s a decent player keen to get a game, but you (and he) can understand why no one has taken the punt on him.  Hopefully for him he gets sorted soon.

I know you’re aiming that comment at me, if the quality is still there great, but very few players stay fit and that focused that their game is as good as it was in their 30’s as it was in their prime! All I have to say is how many 30 year olds come back from nasty injuries and are motivated…. But we have ten players in that age bracket mostly because we’re short of money and they come free!

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

I know you’re aiming that comment at me, if the quality is still there great, but very few players stay fit and that focused that their game is as good as it was in their 30’s as it was in their prime! All I have to say is how many 30 year olds come back from nasty injuries and are motivated…. But we have ten players in that age bracket mostly because we’re short of money and they come free!

No, I wasn’t aiming it at anyone in particular.  Imo age is a relative thing and depends on the player - you get guys who are shot by their mid-late 20s and others who continue to play well long into their 30s, so for me we can’t say that someone’s too old at 32 any more than that they are too young at 18.

My feeling here is that we do probably now have enough in the older bracket and Kompany’s thoughts on the matter (wouldn’t want to stop decelopment of younger players) holds true for us as well. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, I wasn’t aiming it at anyone in particular.  Imo age is a relative thing and depends on the player - you get guys who are shot by their mid-late 20s and others who continue to play well long into their 30s, so for me we can’t say that someone’s too old at 32 any more than that they are too young at 18.

My feeling here is that we do probably now have enough in the older bracket and Kompany’s thoughts on the matter (wouldn’t want to stop decelopment of younger players) holds true for us as well. 

Nah I won’t take offence Branston, I have made my thoughts known about 30+ year old players, so I fully accept the point, but as I said if they can bring something to our squad great but as shown and now being said officially that you can’t expect these older player to keep up levels of performance with such a schedule, so what you gain in some ways you lose in other, balanced team is needed and for me you need a spins of energy and talent with experience around it, youth products need to be given time to experience and develop, it’s a difficult juggling act with our squad.

Edited by Indy

Nope, not for me, we have enough ageing crocks and enough wingers on our books already, which is great if you had forwards to cross to. With Sargent and now Barnes out, crosses into the box are pretty much a waste of time.

he won't sign for buttons whether he is currently unemployed or not.

The fact he was sat in Turkey on deadline day frantically trying to strike a deal with any Turkish liga club and also contacting some Saudi clubs shows you the level of bunce we are talking about here

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Raggatip said:

he won't sign for buttons whether he is currently unemployed or not.

The fact he was sat in Turkey on deadline day frantically trying to strike a deal with any Turkish liga club and also contacting some Saudi clubs shows you the level of bunce we are talking about here

Quite. Probably earns more than most of us just on the interest on his savings.

Good player in his prime as most would agree. He's had his problems, who of us haven't? So feel for him as he looks to play out a last hurrah and would likely reward whoever takes him on as he clearly really wants to play rather than let the clock run down on his career. Not here though for the many reasons listed above. MLS might fit the bill.