Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Danny Batth

Some of the posters seem very disappointed without him even kicking  ball. To get amore informed opinion, I went to the Sunderland fans forum. Almost universally well-regarded, a real defender and great leader seems to be the feeling. Some suggest that his absence was why they did not get promoted from the play offs.

It won't please the moaners reunited crew who have been strangely quiet all season (until yesterday) but seems like he is exactly the type of player we have been targeting this system to bring steel and nous to the team and to help our young talent develop. Wages are probably quite high but seems like very shrewd business imo.

A massive player for us. Thanks Danny, and good luck at Norwich.

Baath is a big loss...Great player..Great leader...Great captain...

He was our most experienced, most robust, most competent centre half. He could head, read it, organise and do the basics. A leader on the park as well. He was in no way detrimental to the football we were trying to play contrary to what revisionists would have you believe now that he’s gone either.

Great for us, hard as nails and a great leader.

Very good player for us. An old fashioned centre half...

A proper warrior, think we’d be in the premier league now if he’d been fit vs Luton.

This was a mistake, imo. We'll regret this one; not all that arsed about the other outgoings.

One of them when you saw him on the team sheet you knew he was more than likely going to give a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance. Not scared to put his body on the line. 

Big gamble allowing such an experienced player to leave the club. We don’t have many leaders in the club and I think that’s a little naive. Experienced pros like Batth are Hugely important to help our young players develop and that in-game leadership and mentoring is missing at the moment.

He’s in his prime and we have pushed him out on a free. Shocking business for safc other than them clearing his wage.

A solid, consistent centre back who was a big part of the last season and a half. It always feels wrong when a player of the year goes tge bext season.

The club have reduced the wage bill by £24k per wk .
That was the reason.
I think we should have kept him

Should never have been allowed to Leave. Astonishing decision

Loved him, brought experience, a level head and leadership on the pitch

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/danny-batth-appreciation.1614786/page-3

Edited by Badger
Added brackets
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Most of the people who seem upset about his signing is nothing to do with him being a bad player but is mostly down to him tuning 33 soon. At best we get two seasons with him, and given our "youth model" this has annoyed some.

However it's clear he is a model pro, a senior experienced and proven player and a proper ****houser which let's be real is something it's clear we have needed in the past as we now have with duffy and barnes also.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

More than good enough to push Duffy, Gibson and Hanley (subject to fitness) as a starter.

We now need to get the younger CBs up to speed to the same level as what Omo was.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Most of the people who seem upset about his signing is nothing to do with him being a bad player but is mostly down to him tuning 33 soon. At best we get two seasons with him, and given our "youth model" this has annoyed some.

He’s younger than Kyle Walker. He’s a centre-back. His age & experience should be considered positives in that position. 

And, he was free. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

However it's clear he is a model pro, a senior experienced and proven player and a proper ****houser which let's be real is something it's clear we have needed in the past as we now have with duffy and barnes also.

He's on a one year contract with an option.

Young players need experienced pros to act as mentors and to learn from if they are to develop their potential. Given how highly we are supposed to rate some of our youthful centre backs this is exactly what they need to get them ready for first team football - although a loan might be better?

It's another sensible signing. Another signing that helps with the goal of promotion. 

The wider plan of actually staying in the EPL upon promotion is extremely hard though. This season the 3 x promoted clubs have lost all 8 combined fixtures. 

More cover for Hanley than Omo. Omo has already been covered by Adeogbaye (sp). Probably means we have seen the last competitive match from Hanley.

Edited by shefcanary

As a stop gap for the season it's about the best we could hope for. Seems like a good professional.

19 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

More cover for Hanley than Omo. Omo has already been covered by Adeogbaye (sp). Probably means we have seen the last competitive match from Hanley.

The way I see it, Duffy is Omobamidele's replacement. Batth is covering the lack of Hanley.

Tomkinson and Warner are scrapping for the final slot and I imagine the formers loan will be confirmed in due course.

I hope he is a good professional. As Roy Keane would say "Its your job". I hope all the squad recognise that.

I was just hoping we would recognise the start we had made and bring in to add to the squad for a promotion push. The striker problem was made worse last week of course. But if it was always the intention to cash in on AO, I don't see Danny as any more than a stop gap. and seeing how Sarge was put out of action so easily last week, he could be in the side before you know it.

1 hour ago, Bovril said:

It's another sensible signing. Another signing that helps with the goal of promotion. 

The wider plan of actually staying in the EPL upon promotion is extremely hard though. This season the 3 x promoted clubs have lost all 8 combined fixtures. 

Yet last season all three promoted sides stayed up.

To the moaners about Batth’s age would they still be having a pop if we had signed Virgil van **** from Liverpool as he’s also 33? (Yes I know it would never happen).

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Some of the posters seem very disappointed without him even kicking  ball. To get amore informed opinion, I went to the Sunderland fans forum. Almost universally well-regarded, a real defender and great leader seems to be the feeling. Some suggest that his absence was why they did not get promoted from the play offs.

It won't please the moaners reunited crew who have been strangely quiet all season (until yesterday) but seems like he is exactly the type of player we have been targeting this system to bring steel and nous to the team and to help our young talent develop. Wages are probably quite high but seems like very shrewd business imo.

A massive player for us. Thanks Danny, and good luck at Norwich.

Baath is a big loss...Great player..Great leader...Great captain...

He was our most experienced, most robust, most competent centre half. He could head, read it, organise and do the basics. A leader on the park as well. He was in no way detrimental to the football we were trying to play contrary to what revisionists would have you believe now that he’s gone either.

Great for us, hard as nails and a great leader.

Very good player for us. An old fashioned centre half...

A proper warrior, think we’d be in the premier league now if he’d been fit vs Luton.

This was a mistake, imo. We'll regret this one; not all that arsed about the other outgoings.

One of them when you saw him on the team sheet you knew he was more than likely going to give a 7 or 8 out of 10 performance. Not scared to put his body on the line. 

Big gamble allowing such an experienced player to leave the club. We don’t have many leaders in the club and I think that’s a little naive. Experienced pros like Batth are Hugely important to help our young players develop and that in-game leadership and mentoring is missing at the moment.

He’s in his prime and we have pushed him out on a free. Shocking business for safc other than them clearing his wage.

A solid, consistent centre back who was a big part of the last season and a half. It always feels wrong when a player of the year goes tge bext season.

The club have reduced the wage bill by £24k per wk .
That was the reason.
I think we should have kept him

Should never have been allowed to Leave. Astonishing decision

Loved him, brought experience, a level head and leadership on the pitch

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/danny-batth-appreciation.1614786/page-3

Yep it’s some good comments but I’m sure if you looked hard enough there would be comments feeling the opposite, much as we get with threads on here. 

It’s good to get a balanced view rather than a one sided one surely? Unless of course there are no posts saying he’s not gonna be missed etc?

Edited by TheBaldOne66

2 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

To the moaners about Batth’s age would they still be having a pop if we had signed Virgil van **** from Liverpool as he’s also 33? (Yes I know it would never happen).

If my grandmother had wheels she would be a bike 😉

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

If my grandmother had wheels she would be a bike 😉

She’s made of metal then not skin and bones like the rest of the human race? 

Just now, TheBaldOne66 said:

She’s made of metal then not skin and bones like the rest of the human race? 

That's where you've gone wrong, your assuming the CC family are humans. 

6 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Yep it’s some good comments but I’m sure if you looked hard enough there would be comments feeling the opposite, much as we get with threads on here. 

I saw one on Twitter that suggested he wasn't much of a ball player. Bit of a no-nonsense old school CB.

Though that view is actually argued against in the quotes that Badger has collected:

2 hours ago, Badger said:

He was in no way detrimental to the football we were trying to play contrary to what revisionists would have you believe now that he’s gone either.

Batth is a really solid player . I obviously wish Omo well but frankly he was far from impressive last year or this and would prefer the money to his presence .

Edited by Branston

Just looked myself, and there are a few and it seems he missed most of pre season due to injury! Has only played once so far this season but was the POTS for them last season.

Hopefully he will be a good signing 

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

I don't know so much have you seen him play recently!

45 minutes ago, Branston said:

Batth is a really solid player . I obviously wish Omo well but frankly he was far from impressive last year or this and would prefer the money to his presence .

No omo was poor last season , but most of our players were.

• Like 1

Spoke to my golf pro who is a big Sunderland fan. Batth was player of the season apparently. He said if you’re 1-0 up with 5 mins left you definitely want him on the pitch

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

How is his name pronounced?  Bat? Bath? Batt-Hu?

Da-knee 

• Haha 1