2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The club decision to sell the silverware this summer and replace with free players at the end of their careers smacks of a lack of ambition. They are extremely lucky that those older heads have played well and results have gone well - otherwise the scenes would have been ugly. 

it’s been a lucky start not ambition that has saved the clubs blushes. It really is time the owners sold up - the cupboard is clearly bare 

You don't really help yourself sometimes.

The squad is certainly much older than it was before, Wagner has got the men he wanted so it's up to him now to deliver results on the pitch. My big concern when it became clear Webber was leaving was that we'd resort to letting the manager control recruitment, for the most part that has happened although the youth recruitment team haven't been blocked from doing business either. Wagner may be a good coach but that doesn't mean he's a good scout. If and when a new SD comes in I hope they'll be given the control to make those transfer decisions.

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I was referring to the coffers. This summer we sold Max, Rashica, Krul, Todd, Dowell and Omo- seemingly to balance the books. What do we have to show for it? Not a lot .  Sheesh

That is pretty feeble even for you - Todd left in January and was more of a disrupting influence than anything, Rashica was a bad buy and we have recouped the fee paid.  Dowell chose to let his contract run down.  Krul wasn’t playing. Omo was an and unplayed third choice cb - 4th when Hanley comes back - and we got £15m odd for him.

The point isn’t that players have left, more that every single one has been replaced, and so far those replacements have done well.  We don’t lack cover as we seem to have done over recent seasons.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 3

I can’t quite believe this thread.  
We have sold our third choose CB who has a patchy fitness record for millions.  To replace him we have signed an experienced CB and sent the next two players on the development conveyor belt out on loan to league 2 teams.  

We have used that money to recruit an international attacker,  to support our Irish international striker - who is playing because our American international striker is injured.

There is a clear ambition and a plan, not quite sure what more Webber or Wagner can do.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, AJ said:

The reality is our parachute payments end this season so we need to balance the books in case we don't achieve promotion. It's not lack of ambition, it's actually very sensible 

Not just in case we don’t achieve promotion, but also to help prepare for next summer in case we do achieve it - we all know what happened last time we won promotion already in debt......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because I ask critical questions I must be an Ipswich fan. Wow. Did they teach you logic at school? 

Critical questions or stirring the pot ?

you decide ; - ) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Got money for a few players like Aaron’s, Rashica, Mumba, Omo and paid out for ONE player only. The club obviously is in bad shape financially as it had parachute payments too but people still think that things are rosy off the pitch! 

And improved the team whilst doing so, much to your and the OP's annoyance. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr.Carrow said:

And improved the team whilst doing so, much to your and the OP's annoyance. 

Why would it be to my annoyance? As for improved the team it’s easy to judge after 4 or 5 games, wait and see at the end of the season, rather than judge so quickly surely?

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

We'll see you at Portaloo Rd when we visit in December.

TBF, it is not definite that DCB is an Ipswich fan: he could just be incredibly stupid?  Of course, it possible that he is both!

35 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

There is a clear ambition and a plan, not quite sure what more Webber or Wagner can do.

Derrrr! All they've got to do is find an owner that gifts the club tens of millions of pounds every year - how hard can it be?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I don't get how anyone still doesn't understand how our club is run, or needs to be run, with regards to our financial restraints.

Purely because of our current ownership being paupers in comparison to most of the owners in the top 2 divisions as we are constantly told! 

I think Webber has done well this summer,

the free transfers at the start are good signings and replaced the out going players well ,

what I thought would happen though with the incoming sales money we would buy a couple of good players to bolt onto the good free signings ,

I thought with big Andy leaving we had all summer to find a young defender with good potential so we could turn him into the next 20 mil sales 

again with the striker we have a perfect chance knowing Andy would be potentially leaving arrons  rashica money ,

To buy someone with potential a goal scorer to push the players already here ,

I am excited about the boy from Man City who might be young but got such good stats in under 23 football I would have him on the bench as sarge is injured 

so in short excellent free transfers but would have liked the money from sales reinvested for the next silverware 

• Like 2

Have we actually paid a transfer fee for anyone aside from Fassnacht?

It would help if the list stated clearly which players in the "IN" are loans with no option to buy..

Screenshot_20230902-101946_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The club decision to sell the silverware this summer and replace with free players at the end of their careers smacks of a lack of ambition. They are extremely lucky that those older heads have played well and results have gone well - otherwise the scenes would have been ugly. 

it’s been a lucky start not ambition that has saved the clubs blushes. It really is time the owners sold up - the cupboard is clearly bare 

Good grief. 

We’re unbeaten in 6 competitive games. If you can’t see the positive effect the ‘older heads’ have already had on the team/squad, then I can’t help you. 

‘Ambition’ isn’t defined by bankrupting yourself in the transfer market, it’s about setting up a coherent plan, sticking to it, ensuring you have the right players in place to execute that plan. So far so good on that front. We’ve offloaded the overpriced paste from that disastrous summer (which you no doubt lauded as being ‘ambitious’) at last, moved on players who’d long since peaked here, brought in new faces who have given us a far more balanced squad than we’ve had for 2 years. 

There’s nothing ‘lucky’ about it. We’re exciting to watch, generally more solid at the back, Rowe (who i think has potential to generate a larger fee than Buendia one day) and Sara are already standing out as that ‘silverware’ in the squad/cupboard; previously peripheral players like Placheta have displayed considerable improvement. We’ve got character in the team again after an anonymous drift last season, we’re second in the league, averaging three goals per league game. 

Just try and enjoy it. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Just try and enjoy it. 

How can he when we are near the top of the table?

If things continue to go well we won't hear much from DCB but any hint of difficulty he will be all over  this board like a rash!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can tell the OP @Dean Coneys boots is absolutely GUTTED about how well we've started the season and he's decided to put it all down to luck. 

l can guarantee if our performances drop off it won't be because we're unlucky. 

I think its probably safe to say he's an Ipswich troll at this point whos played a long game and we can just write him off.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Purely because of our current ownership being paupers in comparison to most of the owners in the top 2 divisions as we are constantly told! 

Well that's because they are, and we have to live within our means.

3 hours ago, AJ said:

The reality is our parachute payments end this season so we need to balance the books in case we don't achieve promotion. It's not lack of ambition, it's actually very sensible 

Exactly. Otherwise see the Glenn Roeder/Bryan Gunn era for details.

• Like 1

Op, not only are you getting not a very good response on here, your posts are getting hounrable mentions on the Sunderland sites, where it is said you are slating a player they hold in high regard. Funny old world.

7 minutes ago, andy cousins said:

image.png.789270b566fced467c25d75ada974a94.png

As I like to put it "were you born that stupid or did it come with practice?"

4 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I think it’s a really difficult balance to get right for a football club. The change in finances from championship to premier league and back again is so enormous it must be really hard work to try and bridge in your planning. This is where I do agree with you that the lack of financial clout of our owners does hold us back, others have been able to smooth this period because they have more of a guarantee sitting behind them due to their owners wealth.

the last premier league season was a disaster but on one hand we have to say the club went for it in terms of transfer fees and wages (history has clearly told us the entirely wrong players but different debate). Given that level of outlay we had to get up last year or have a massive change in expense base to prepare for the likelihood of not having parachute payments next year of c£40m and champ tV money of best case c£10m - a huge drop.

we have to therefore get our wage bill down to a level we can meet through our income plus any transfer fee upside. We can clearly expect Sara and Rowe to go next year if we don’t go up. I don’t think this smacks of ambition more just dealing with the financial reality we are in. It’s why we need at least 1 or 2 good youngsters to come through and ideally turn a profit on the odd South American! 

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Binner 

You’re a mupp3t of the highest order 

52 minutes ago, mrD66M said:

Have we actually paid a transfer fee for anyone aside from Fassnacht?

It would help if the list stated clearly which players in the "IN" are loans with no option to buy..

Screenshot_20230902-101946_Samsung Internet.jpg

We paid a transfer fee for Fisher who surprisingly isn’t on the list as although he’s still a teenager, it’s seems like he’s backup for Stacey.

• Like 1

I was hoping Webber would of signed a couple of gems for the future maybe loan back to the club with the extra money that came in 

like we will sign who we did but if we sell andy o we will buy 2 for future and keep rest of cash 

like a youngster from the Scottish league or lower league for example like we did with Maddison from Coventry 

the only advantage of having cash is if club needs money or a great start for new DOF

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because I ask critical questions I must be an Ipswich fan. Wow. Did they teach you logic at school? 

If you post such deliberately antagonistic and thoughtless posts, expect to be shot at. The transfer window of 2 years ago was abysmal. This summer anything but.