The club decision to sell the silverware this summer and replace with free players at the end of their careers smacks of a lack of ambition. They are extremely lucky that those older heads have played well and results have gone well - otherwise the scenes would have been ugly. 

it’s been a lucky start not ambition that has saved the clubs blushes. It really is time the owners sold up - the cupboard is clearly bare 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The club decision to sell the silverware this summer and replace with free players at the end of their careers smacks of a lack of ambition. They are extremely lucky that those older heads have played well and results have gone well - otherwise the scenes would have been ugly. 

it’s been a lucky start not ambition that has saved the clubs blushes. It really is time the owners sold up - the cupboard is clearly bare 

The cupboard is bare? Are you including Sargent, Rowe and Sara? 

I was referring to the coffers. This summer we sold Max, Rashica, Krul, Todd, Dowell and Omo- seemingly to balance the books. What do we have to show for it? Not a lot .  Sheesh

Edited by Dean Coneys boots
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I was referring to the coffers. This summer we sold Max, Rashica, Krul and Omo- seemingly to balance the books. What do we have to show for it? Batth??! Sheesh

Omo was not as good as some think. We now have cover( as andy wasn't starting anyway) and experience.  Also we have a few quid in the bank for January.  Rainy day money if you like. 

The concept of not pissing your income up the wall on a Friday night is alien to some on here. 

• Like 2

We have bodies in the building and can cover the immediate injury problems, i.e Hanley and Sargent with no issues.

Potentially £20m coming in for Omo, which can be used in January if needs be. Absolutely no reason why we cannot sustain a promotion challenge now.

Having said all that really looking forward to the new Sporting Director and seeing his long term strategy for the club and of course getting this bloody takeover over the line.

Over to you Wagner.

29 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Personally I remain more frustrated with the fact that Webber p155ed our squad so spectacularly up the wall than I do with the owners’ budget restrictions. And the fact they let him in recent years behave deplorably toward the fan base. 

But given he made the mess, I do give credit to Webber in how he’s tried to rectify it / pivot approach.

Sure, it’s a change of approach - but it’s unfair to suggest it’s luck that we’ve landed some good experienced heads at this level. Batth and Hwang also won’t be luck if capable of performing at this level this season - which I’m hopeful they both will be. 

What I’m sure we all hope from yesterday / this summer is that at least some funds have been preserved to January - in case we are still in the promotion mix in what is arguably a more competitive league than ever before. Even if it’s a loan or two - it can make a real difference for that second half push. 

If parachute payments are going to run out, why wouldn't you cut your cloth accordingly? If we were lacking experience and battle-hardened pros - which was abundantly clear at the back end of last season, why wouldn't we go and get a few to give our team a tougher, more durable squad?

We've got a striker in on loan whilst Sargent recovers from his injury. And we've got some more interesting youngsters for the U21s who are getting looked at, including that Brazilian lad, Pedro Lima, who seems to be a deep-lying playmaker, with the aim of keeping the youth pipeline well stocked with potential talent.

Seriously, we could get Messi on a free and peeps would find a pea under the mattress.

34 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We'll see you at Portaloo Rd when we visit in December.

Working within the confines of our model with our (selfish) owners I actually think we’ve had a reasonable window. But it’s also a window that shows up the confines of our ownership all too clearly. We were selling Omobamidele and Aarons in this window, whatever happened. We have to in order to subsidise another season or two of the dictatorship. 

• Like 3

There's a massive difference between asking critical questions and constantly whinging like a little kid.

• Like 11

I don’t think we’re showing a lack of ambition. I think we’ve been shrewd and sensible. Aaron’s was clearly finished with us, Omo is a great prospect but that’s all, I think unfortunately for him he’s going to be an injury prone player who’ll end up in the championship again within 2-3 years and the signings we’ve made a largely proven players that can operate for us in the here and now. Yesterdays deals are, granted a little uneciting but they’re are sensible and decent for what what we need right now.

All is fine I think. We’re 2nd in the league and scoring goals, not much to complain about right now in my book.

• Like 1

The reality is our parachute payments end this season so we need to balance the books in case we don't achieve promotion. It's not lack of ambition, it's actually very sensible 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because I ask critical questions I must be an Ipswich fan. Wow. Did they teach you logic at school? 

They're not questions they're statements of your opinions.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Why is it luck that the older players have played well?  

Edited by Yellowfuture
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

They're not questions they're statements of your opinions.

Ok explain why sharing my opinions about the club makes me an Ipswich fan? This will be interesting 

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Ok explain why sharing my opinions about the club makes me an Ipswich fan? This will be interesting 

It doesn’t. There’s a really poor practice on here amongst some of just dismissing unhappy fans as being ‘binners’. It’s childish.  

36 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Because I ask critical questions I must be an Ipswich fan. Wow. Did they teach you logic at school? 

It’s the way of the world these days. Question a narrative and you’re labelled 

57 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I was referring to the coffers. This summer we sold Max, Rashica, Krul, Todd, Dowell and Omo- seemingly to balance the books. What do we have to show for it? Not a lot .  Sheesh

Dowell was free and Cantwell had to be sold or he’d have gone on a free too!

I get your beef as I’m also a little underwhelmed with yesterday and anyone saying otherwise is not being fully truthful. But the summer has certainly addressed issues we had and we do have some very strong characters now who motivate this squad! Something we lacked!

I do however agree it’s a challenge to our club financially as we borrowed on the last parachute payments, we generated £10 million share issue from MA, we’ve sold over £40 million pounds worth of young talent, all who either needed to go or deserved their move we cannot complain that we sold all that have gone, but the lack of spending into the first team is the only question which could be thrown at the club……but then if they can gain promotion on a budget like we’ve done previously then that’s how we jive!

11 minutes ago, S_81 said:

It doesn’t. There’s a really poor practice on here amongst some of just dismissing unhappy fans as being ‘binners’. It’s childish.  

We get unhappy fans.It's very understandable sometimes (last season for instance). Constant, and I mean really constant,negativity about the club you support tends to grate. A lot. And this fellow has been doing it for years.

• Like 4

I think that Webber’s biggest achievement, as his long tenure comes to its end, is turning NCFC into one of the most prominent Retirement Homes in the County.

The Club now sits comfortably within the demographic of Norfolk, and offers a slither of hope to any footballer past their peak.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

We get unhappy fans.It's very understandable sometimes (last season for instance). Constant, and I mean really constant,negativity about the club you support tends to grate. A lot. And this fellow has been doing it for years.

Points can definitely be more balanced and better argued and evidenced, for sure. But personally I think the retort of ‘binner’ etc is just childish. Better off ignored than replying with that, IMO.

I really can't see the problem with our transfers. 

Omo, meh, he was OK, but never kicked on from his breakthrough season. 

Max, was surprised we kept so long. 

Rashica, show pony that openly stated he wanted to go. (Wasn't that good anyway)

As for the ins, great bit of work if the early season is anything to go by. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

They're not 'critical questions' though, they're bitchy and whiny statements of your opinion

You could drop a quid and find a million and still pīss and moan about the quid. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Got money for a few players like Aaron’s, Rashica, Mumba, Omo and paid out for ONE player only. The club obviously is in bad shape financially as it had parachute payments too but people still think that things are rosy off the pitch! 

18 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Points can definitely be more balanced and better argued and evidenced, for sure. But personally I think the retort of ‘binner’ etc is just childish. Better off ignored than replying with that, IMO.

Binner 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Despite all the acclaim re: Duffy, Barnes and Stacey I have a quiet felling that Fassnacht will be our star incomer. There's something canny about that player.