Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

BOTH main political parties are a disgrace

If ever an issue demanded a cross-party approach, it is Climate Change.

But no, clearly Labour and Tory will use it as a political shuttlecock as we stagger towards real world crisis. 

It proves that nothing is above party politics and that those in the political arena are shameful, self-seeking inadequates. it is appalling beyond explanation.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

This is a football chat forum. But Webber has definitely been contributing to hot air for a while now 

Please … don’t start me … it should be a self fulfilling prophesy - anyone who wants to be a politician is not allowed to be a politician. I’m so fed up with all the sleaze, lying and corruption. Send the lot of them into space towards the sun!

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can this "Climate change" (Odd name.. Is he Austrian?) play as a dfensive midfielder?

I’d swap him for Adam. 

13 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Please … don’t start me … it should be a self fulfilling prophesy - anyone who wants to be a politician is not allowed to be a politician. I’m so fed up with all the sleaze, lying and corruption. Send the lot of them into space towards the sun!

Sorry, but that is such a lazy attitude. I’ve been involved in local politics for a few months (I got asked to stand as a council candidate otherwise there wouldn’t have been a candidate for one of the parties on the ballot paper - I didn’t win) and there are are a lot of hard working, well-meaning people who do a lot for their community. And while I obviously have a biased viewpoint, that goes for all the main parties. Yes, there are idiots and self-centred fools (mainly in the other parties, obvs), but that just represents wider society. Don’t look at those who hog the headlines and assume they are indicative of everyone involved.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pugin said:

But no, clearly Labour and Tory will use it as a political shuttlecock as we stagger towards real world crisis. 

It proves that nothing is above party politics and that those in the political arena are shameful, self-seeking inadequates. it is appalling beyond explanation.

Let's not get caught up in false equivalence. The tories have been an unmitigated disaster in everything they've done in 13 years of power, not least trebling the national debt while giving us absolutely nothing to show for it. Yes, Labour are pretty rubbish but, at this point, I'd take 'pretty rubbish' over 'utterly reprehensible'.

Labour do have some plans for a green economy although these have apparently been paused until they are 'affordable'. But Clive Lewis is actually one of the most progressive MPs so, at least in Norwich South, we're well represented. I am, however, deeply skeptical about the central (right wing) core of the party.

Unfortunately sometimes the best choice is to vote for the least bad lizards. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Unfortunately, the UK hardly has a monopoly in this area. I am old enough to remember when people moved into politics to try and improve the lives of the general populace. This was usually AFTER a having successful career, not instead of having one. The path now seems to be study politics at uni, then jump onto the gravy train at the earliest opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Let's not get caught up in false equivalence. The tories have been an unmitigated disaster in everything they've done in 13 years of power, not least trebling the national debt while giving us absolutely nothing to show for it. Yes, Labour are pretty rubbish but, at this point, I'd take 'pretty rubbish' over 'utterly reprehensible'.

Labour do have some plans for a green economy although these have apparently been paused until they are 'affordable'. But Clive Lewis is actually one of the most progressive MPs so, at least in Norwich South, we're well represented. I am, however, deeply skeptical about the central (right wing) core of the party.

Unfortunately sometimes the best choice is to vote for the least bad lizards. 

As Labour under Jeremy Corbyn demonstrated, you can have the most progressive, right-on policies ever, but unless you win power, it means sod all. Kier Starmer is rightly nervous about getting a majority, so is playing it cautiously.

Sadly, what happened in Uxbridge and the economic effects of Truss and Kwarteng’s brief dalliance with power means that his strategy on the environment has been dialled back a little. It’s disappointing and I can completely see why people want more, but nevertheless the strategy of keeping eyes on the prize above all has to be right.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Question time is on Thursday fella! 

Unfortunately this is an international problem requiring an international solution and while we can hope to do our bit I’m afraid the election across the water next year is going to have much more impact. It seriously worries me that the orange crook could actually win which would be disastrous, whoever we vote for over here.

• Like 2

Politics is outdated and a parody of itself. It’s almost marketed as a form of entertainment now with 24/7 tv channels and clipped up sound bites.

A system that requires you to vote for the least sh1t party is not fit for purpose.

F|_|ck the tories.

Edited by Captain Holt
  • Like 3

A cautious word here, we need to have a long transition from oil & gas, financial and for the good of products from medicine to clothes, they are all far too dependent on oil production for the time being!

Be aware that any new platforms and process has to be carbon capture neutral and the big oil companies are investing heavily on renewable technologies so without transition we would be going back to Victorian times for standard of living!

Im not against these licenses if they are controlled as they should be, bear in mind USA made a trillion dollars selling their oil reserves last year to us and the world from the Ukraine war sanctions on Russian oil & gas exports! We don’t want to keep buying from outside if we have our own!

But we all need to do our own bits on going green too! Walk not drive, only use what we need to and put a jumper on if it gets chilly not jump on the thermostat!

Edited by Indy

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

WTF is this topic doing on a FOOTBALL forum!!

Well  by 2050 Carrow Road might be a water polo venue!

Edited by Indy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pugin said:

I would suggest most if not all the main issues that face this country transcend party politics. I am an advocate of scrapping the current, antiquated political system, party politics has no place in the 21st century, at the very least there should be a "None of the Above" option on the ballot paper..................

• Like 3

The UK has halved its carbon emissions since 1990, just how much faster do you think we can reduce pollution without destroying living standards?

I despise Thatcher because of her callousness in throwing thousands of workers on the scrapheap in the name of her market knows best neoliberal ideology, I’m now seeing the same attitudes in those most wedded to the green alarmism.

I’m all for adopting new technology to reduce pollution as it becomes viable, but there needs to be some realism in the conversation, especially as the UKs emissions are little more than a rounding error in terms of the worlds output. We’re going to need fossil fuels for decades yet while we transition, and we’re going to need the money those fossil fuels bring in from the North Sea (and coal if we had any mines still operating) exports to do so.

55 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

The UK has halved its carbon emissions since 1990, just how much faster do you think we can reduce pollution without destroying living standards?

I despise Thatcher because of her callousness in throwing thousands of workers on the scrapheap in the name of her market knows best neoliberal ideology, I’m now seeing the same attitudes in those most wedded to the green alarmism.

I’m all for adopting new technology to reduce pollution as it becomes viable, but there needs to be some realism in the conversation, especially as the UKs emissions are little more than a rounding error in terms of the worlds output. We’re going to need fossil fuels for decades yet while we transition, and we’re going to need the money those fossil fuels bring in from the North Sea (and coal if we had any mines still operating) exports to do so.

Since renewables cost only half as much as gas we can reduce our use of climate destroying fossil fuels AND IMPROVE OUR LIVING STANDARDS - AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Since renewables cost only half as much as gas we can reduce our use of climate destroying fossil fuels AND IMPROVE OUR LIVING STANDARDS - AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Not much use when the wind isn’t blowing or the sun isn’t shining though, so you’re always going to need a base load. The only carbon free method if that currently is nuclear, however it will take over 20 years to build enough plants to replace our fossil fuel ones therefore we’re stuck with gas for the foreseeable future so it makes sense to have our own rather than importing it 

48 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Renewable energy needs shed-loads of taxpayer cash to survive, and when the subsidies are taken away it goes to the wall…

Electricity is 20% of our energy supply. The rest comes from fossil fuels, and will for the foreseeable future.

Renewables provide 40% of that 20% which is 8% of our energy needs - A decent proportion of that 8% comes from burning wood pellets, which emit more carbon dioxide than coal...

Go figure...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Renewable energy needs shed-loads of taxpayer cash to survive, and when the subsidies are taken away it goes to the wall…

Electricity is 20% of our energy supply. The rest comes from fossil fuels, and will for the foreseeable future.

Renewables provide 40% of that 20% which is 8% of our energy needs - A decent proportion of that 8% comes from burning wood pellets, which emit more carbon dioxide than coal...

Go figure...

Wrong on every single count (and I strongly suspect you know it). 

• Like 4