1 minute ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I worry that we think that we are above a player such as Tom Ince. Or Ashley Barnes. Both were quality last season.

Apparently some who never saw them play all season don't think so.

Its the fact some on here believe we are selling Omo, Aarons, Sara and Nunez and replacing them ONLY with Barnes, Duffy, Ince and Tracey.

Blink and you'd forget the transfer market hasnt opened officially yet 🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Is he free? Then it’s on! 

He signed a 1 year can contract with Besiktas when he left Southampton when his contract ended so he maybe free 😂

2 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Its the fact some on here believe we are selling Omo, Aarons, Sara and Nunez and replacing them ONLY with Barnes, Duffy, Ince and Tracey.

Blink and you'd forget the transfer market hasnt opened officially yet 🤣

I find it very hard to believe the club will sell Omobamidele or Sara. With Hanley out until the next year, Gibson in his final year and Tomkinson not yet ready I think we will struggle without Omobamidele and if we want to strengthen the squad we should keep Sara and look elsewhere to raise funds (Giannoulis, Aarons, Rashica)

As a Reading fan I'd say the signing of Tom Ince, if it happens, could have several outcomes, the most likely that it will be a good signing, but carrying some risk.

He was Reading's best player last season without a doubt, although a slightly lower bar than other clubs given the circumstances, and rightfully won the fans' player of the season award.

He's got a great left foot, usually puts in a good cross, takes corners and is a very dangerous free kick taker on the right side just outside the penalty area.

Early in the season he was on fire, great passion, going the extra mile, running players down in the last ten minutes lifting the crowd etc.

Of course there was speculation that if you can't try your hardest in front of your father (Paul Ince the manager at that time) then you are never going to do so. Maybe that did spur him on a bit but even if it did it showed what he was capable of, which is very good.

He had to be rested a couple of times as the analytics were showing that he was due an injury. This duly happened around ten games before the end of the season, the crucial time obviously, and there were complaints from our fans that he (Tince) had been flogged to death and there was some truth in it. He was never seen again from that moment apart from isolated reports that he had been seen in the vicinity of the stadium wearing a huge plastic boot thing on one leg. Most fans believe that without Tince's injury Reading would have stayed up comfortably, notwithstanding the six-point deduction.

So all good apart from the injury. Now the risks. 

Most criticism I've seen of Tince speculates or claims outright that he has a bad attitude, arrogant, etc, etc, you get the drift.

You'd probably have to speak to Stoke fans about that to get the full picture.

But for the avoidance of doubt on that score, this is what happened at Reading.

In the half a dozen or so games before his injury he lost a bit of form, nothing drastic but enough to take the edge of what made him special earlier in the season, maybe not so motivated, a few niggles with team mates, etc.

This culminated quite noticeably at a home game where a lazyish ball was chipped out to him on the touchline. Instead of letting it go and maybe encouraging the player who mispassed with a clap or whatever, he petulantly and quite violently volleyed the ball back in the direction of the player as it passed over the touchline then had what appeared to be an on pitch row with colleagues.

Some of our fans at the time were saying this was good in a way in that it showed his passion and that he was frustrated with the shortcomings of players around him. There may be some truth in that but in reality it was a petulant and unhelpful act.

His form dipped again after that and there were rumours of tetchiness with other players, no more than that, might not be correct, but something was wrong for sure. There were hopes that he would be back from his injury before the end of the season but after Pince was sacked, that seemed every more unlikely.

So in short, rightly motivated and played in the right position, which is essentially a free role, he could play very well for you and I hope he does. But he will need to be carefully monitored by Wagner and is unlikely to take kindly to criticism or being benched, for instance.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 10

2 minutes ago, norfolk royal said:

As a Reading fan I'd say the signing of Tom Ince, if it happens, could have several outcomes, the most likely that it will be a good signing, but carrying some risk.

He was Reading's best player last season without a doubt, although a slightly lower bar than other clubs given the circumstances, and rightfully won the fans' player of the season award.

He's got a great left foot, usually puts in a good cross, takes corners and is a very dangerous free kick taker on the right side just outside the penalty area.

Early in the season he was on fire, great passion, going the extra mile, running players down in the last ten minutes lifting the crowd etc.

Of course there was speculation that if you can't try your hardest in front of your father (Paul Ince the manager at that time) then you are never going to do so. Maybe that did spur him on a bit but even if it did it showed what he was capable of, which is very good.

He had to be rested a couple of times as the analytics were showing that he was due an injury. This duly happened around ten games before the end of the season, the crucial time obviously, and there were complaints from our fans that he (Tince) had been flogged to death and there was some truth in it. He was never seen again from that moment apart from isolated reports that he had been seen in the vicinity of the stadium wearing a huge plastic boot thing on one leg. Most fans believe that without Tince's injury Reading would have stayed up comfortably, notwithstanding the six-point deduction.

Most criticism I've seen of Tince speculates or claims outright that he has a bad attitude, arrogant, etc, etc, you get the drift.

In the half a dozen or so games before his injury he lost a bit of form, nothing drastic but enough to take the edge of what made him special earlier in the season, maybe not so motivated, a few niggles with team mates, etc.

This culminated quite noticeably at a home game where a lazyish ball was chipped out to him on the touchline. Instead of letting it go and maybe encouraging the player who mispassed with a clap or whatever, he petulantly and quite violently volleyed the ball back in the direction of the player as it passed over the touchline then had what appeared to be an on pitch row with colleagues.

Some of our fans at the time were saying this was good in a way in that it showed his passion and that he was frustrated with the shortcomings of players around him. There may be some truth in that but in reality it was a petulant and unhelpful act.

His form dipped again after that and there were rumours of tetchiness with other players, no more than that, might not be correct, but something was wrong for sure. There were hopes that he would be back from his injury before the end of the season but after Pince was sacked, that seemed every more unlikely.

So in short, rightly motivated and played in the right position, which is essentially a free role, he could play very well for you and I hope he does. But he will need to be carefully monitored by Wagner and is unlikely to take kindly to criticism or being benched, for instance.  

Us signing players that might be risky? You don't say

I still think a winger like Ogbene coming in for some cash and Ince for a nominal fee to add numbers and better quality the flanks. I still reckon we'll see another 3-4 more new players come in, but doubt anymore striker additions, albeit I'll happily be proved wrong.

Edited by jaberry2

18 minutes ago, norfolk royal said:

Cheers that's a really good summary.

It will be interesting to see if and what flavour of Tince we get. If Wagner does his job right then I would expect all players to hit the ground running.

We have pretty woeful quality on the flanks so Ince could be an important signing for us.

• Like 1

Usually when I read of a player that we are interested in that  am not keen about I end up warming to him after reading a few positive bits about him on this forum.

Not sure if I can say the same about Ince after reading the Reading report as there seemed to be good (effort and crossing) and bad (injuries, loss of form, petulance) in equal portions.

If signed he will take up a place in the squad and would probably be on a decent wedge. Perhaps we could find better for that place and that money. .

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Perhaps we could find better for that place and that money. .

We definitely can! 

He's a player I would have been really disappointed to sign last summer. One of those who on his day is top Championship level but that day is 10-15 games out of 46 because he's inconsistent and drifts in and out of games and I felt we had too many players like that at the time and should've been looking at players with more potential. This year though he'd be a fine addition on a small fee because we've lost so many options out wide. The key point is on a small fee though, he's good enough for the Championship overall and can be decent but he's never going to make the step up if we ever get promoted again so we should look at him as a short term option if we are planning on building anything. For less than a million, on modest wages and on a two year deal I'd be happy with this, if we commit too much I'd be disappointed. He'd be a fine low-key signing or as one of say 2 or 3 wide signings but I'd hope he isn't our only marquee addition. 

As we're clearly in transition and are looking to build something instead of going all out with another promotion push I'd rather a younger player who maybe isn't as productive right now but has the potential to much much better. This is all irrelevant if we happen to sign 2 or 3 attacking players but I can't see how we'd have the budget for it. 

On 07/06/2023 at 21:48, Capt. Pants said:

By all means have experience through the spine of the team but not so much in the attacking and creative positions.

Ince showed a lot of promise whilst younger but not now, not here.

At last someone talking about footballing ability not age. My view is that on this age of dynamic transition tom Ince holds on to the ball too long and slows down attacks. So I hope not

On 07/06/2023 at 21:48, Capt. Pants said:

By all means have experience through the spine of the team but not so much in the attacking and creative positions.

Ince showed a lot of promise whilst younger but not now, not here.

Good point and furthermore:-

12 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

If signed he will take up a place in the squad and would probably be on a decent wedge. Perhaps we could find better for that place and that money. .

Perhaps I should just speak for myself, but it does seem that us true supporters always tend to warm to prospective/new signings by looking to  accentuate the positives beyond the credible.

RVW was eventually built up as being the next Rikki Van Nistelrooy and with a host of big names after his signature we were considered lucky to land him. We became blind to his shortcomings. 

Likewise, young Tzolis who was built up as the Greek Georgie Best with that same host of top clubs after him. Like Nelson we turned a blind eye to the fact that he was a (very) young kid still finding his feet in the game whilst shining in the Greek League and representing the Greek National team (no less) a few times. On that basis we expected him, along with Daniel Farke admittedly, to romp the Premier League whereas we now find ourselves running out of excuses to justify his lack of impact at Carrow Road.

I have found myself doing that with Tom Ince from being completely aghast at the prospect to being gradually swayed by comments about his recent influence at Reading (no less) and particularly by his "pin-point" crossing ability.

Coming back down to earth perhaps we could find better to fill that hole.

But, if we are to go down that route then I would rather have Nathan Redmond back.

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

RVW was eventually built up as being the next Rikki Van Nistelrooy and with a host of big names after his signature we were considered lucky to land him. We became blind to his shortcomings. 

We weren't blind to his shortcomings, but he simply had a manager who intentionally played to those shortcomings instead of the actual strengths he had.

Would he have been a world beater even then - probably not, but there was a MUCH better player in there than we saw, and that's something I'll never change my mind about.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

We weren't blind to his shortcomings, but he simply had a manager who intentionally played to those shortcomings instead of the actual strengths he had.

Would he have been a world beater even then - probably not, but there was a MUCH better player in there than we saw, and that's something I'll never change my mind about.

Do you have your phone alerts set to “Ricky Van Wolfswinkel chat”?!  :  D

Good to see you back though buddy! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Do you have your phone alerts set to “Ricky Van Wolfswinkel chat”?!  :  D

Good to see you back though buddy! 

Lol, I think I'll still be responding to RVW related content when I retire!

I still peruse the boards daily, but rarely respond these days as most threads seem to devolve VERY quickly, and I decided to ditch as much stress as possible when I improved my health and fitness (which includes my mental health), and can't be bothered with getting into ridiculous arguments and petty name calling so stay quiet most of the time to avoid it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Lol, I think I'll still be responding to RVW related content when I retire!

I still peruse the boards daily, but rarely respond these days as most threads seem to devolve VERY quickly, and I decided to ditch as much stress as possible when I improved my health and fitness (which includes my mental health), and can't be bothered with getting into ridiculous arguments and petty name calling so stay quiet most of the time to avoid it.

Fair play mate, I just tend to ignore most of the BS, glad you’re still around in the shadows though! 

5 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

I still peruse the boards daily, but rarely respond these days as most threads seem to devolve VERY quickly

Binner

• Haha 2

On 08/06/2023 at 18:36, The Bristol Nest said:

I worry that we think that we are above a player such as Tom Ince. Or Ashley Barnes. Both were quality last season.

I think that says a lot about the type of football fan who is most vocal on forums/social media.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2023 at 18:36, The Bristol Nest said:

I Think the way some of our players performed we had Better ask Tom Ince if his Dad still has any boots 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2023 at 14:24, cambridgeshire canary said:

Us signing players that might be risky? You don't say

A fan of another club spends a lot of time on giving us an excellent summary of a possible incoming player and you come back with that

embarrassing 

28 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

A fan of another club spends a lot of time on giving us an excellent summary of a possible incoming player and you come back with that

embarrassing 

Your obsession with my posts is embarrassing

are you Greavsly in disguise?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary