Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Nunez

Quite  simply I have not been impressed with him. Am I alone in thinking this? 

There are so many better championship players who cost much less. I for one wouldn't worry if he went.... but who would want him?

He was excellent for the first couple of months, and we were saying how he was too good for the Championship and we'd be selling him for big money in a year or two. 

It's hard to explain what has happened since. Has he just not settled in the country, is it a lack of confidence, is it the style of play and the tactics?

He's got the quality. We've seen it. But we need to see it far more regularly next season. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He was excellent for the first couple of months, and we were saying how he was too good for the Championship and we'd be selling him for big money in a year or two. 

It's hard to explain what has happened since. Has he just not settled in the country, is it a lack of confidence, is it the style of play and the tactics?

He's got the quality. We've seen it. But we need to see it far more regularly next season. 

He does seem to have the potential, but for some reason he's regressed. 

We’ll always have that worldie. Other than that another complete waste of space.

Edited by Tetteys Jig

10 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Quite  simply I have not been impressed with him. Am I alone in thinking this? 

No. While Sara shows signs of being a quality player at this level, Nunez hasn't got enough going offensively to offset the sh*t show he is defensively. With him in the side, we will always be more open.

OTBC

I think Nunez misplaced every single pass after he came on. Embarrassing

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think we’ll see more of his quality after a break and preseason.  

• Like 1

But unfair to judge him too harshly today. He only had a few minutes and in that time he offered far more than any of the other subs. He seemed to be the only player actually trying to create an attack after he came on.

Trying to use him as a traditional centre midfielder has significantly set him back. Think he's another of many in the squad that will look great when things are good but can't set that standard themselves.

He very obviously is weighed down by defensive responsibility. I've thought for a very long time that he would be best in the right-sided attacking mid slot a la Buendia.

Still young, not the finished article. Far from our biggest priority this summer.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He's going to come good. I'm convinced that he is a top player and this is his settling in season. 

Agreed; he has the natural ability, it's just about using it regularly in the right format

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

No. While Sara shows signs of being a quality player at this level, Nunez hasn't got enough going offensively to offset the sh*t show he is defensively. With him in the side, we will always be more open.

OTBC

So then where does he sit? What does he offer? He’s had utter glimpses of PL quality, surely he can’t be a complete right off?!

Crazy really. At the start of the season for 4/5 games people were waxing lyrical over his performances, and rightly so.

I saw him at Hull and thought he controlled the game for us second half, and scored a worldie. I don’t understand it.. 

It's not just Nunez. This squad is full of players who have talent which they are not delivering on a regular basis. We see occasional flashes, but as a composite this side just does not work. And when it does work, for some reason we revert to a style that three managers - all very different in character and core approach - have each used over the last two seasons: pointless playing around with the ball at the back which has led to countless disastrous mistakes and farcical goals, choosing not to compete in midfield and leaving it empty for the opposition to glide through when we lose the ball, and pumping long balls forward to the diagonals or a central area where we have one player (often the rather diminutive Pukki) surrounded by three tall defenders.

I know this is just speculation, but I think it's Webber dictating the style and formation, probably after reading somewhere that it's statistically proven to work more than the alternatives. Yes, I realise I'm sounding tin foil hat, but how else to explain that three such different managers have all ended up playing the same clueless rubbish that does not suit our specific players at all?

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He was excellent for the first couple of months

I don't think he was really. Did show a degree of promise perhaps.

He needs to be further forward and I think his malaise is essentially due to our midfield being unbalanced. Give him a freer role as number 10, a hard as heck pre-season, and a more compact /combative midfield behind him, and I think he could fly.

If Hayden had been the solution we all hoped, I think you'd have seen more consistent performances from Nunez.

• Like 3

I think sometimes he hits a pass a admires it, rather than bursting into space for a return. Beundia was fantastic for passing and moving with pace from standstill. 

14 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

So then where does he sit? What does he offer? He’s had utter glimpses of PL quality, surely he can’t be a complete right off?!

You have to *try* and find a position that negates his weaknesses as much as possible. Maybe a number 10 , behind the main striker? He's got an eye for goal and can thread through passes to the front 3. His defensive duties would be less than *most* in that role.

If he's still here next season, it will be interesting to see how he's used.

OTBC

• Like 1

He started well but it seems Smith and Shakespeare thumped any exuberance and confidence out of him, which wagner hasn't able to restore.  

There is a decent player in there, perhaps a good close season, fitness regained & nutured by a decent coach will see the best of him again.   Yest all starting midfielders were hooked, 5!, has that ever happened before? 

The damage done by Shakespeare &smith having no consistent style of play, restricting movement ( eg max), minimising fitness and lowering confidence hit hard.  Follow that up with wagners attempt to catch up fitness and play a style tactics that leaves massive gaps behind the full backs acres between the cbs and conceding cm to the other team that all opponents now exploit game after game shows what a disaster this season has been for the squad.   

• Like 1

I quite like the look of him and think he could be really useful next season.

Hes had a really poor second half to the season but coming from abroad, a couple of injuries and in / out of the team are all caveats.

Those calling him absolute gash I wonder what their initial thoughts on Vrancic were. Not that they're tremendously similar players but they both have very good technical ability but I remember defending Vrancic against those who thought he was League One at best.

• Like 7

He's had a bit of free pass as he's South American and not Greek.

I think he's done as well as we could have had expected but who knows if there is anything more there.

Needs some solid players around him as he is so lightweight.

• Like 1

We need to remember that he had played half a season (I think) before coming here, so he's had no rest for a long time. This may be why he's started to pick up injuries. If he's still here, let's judge him at the start of next season when he's fresh.

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

We need to remember that he had played half a season (I think) before coming here, so he's had no rest for a long time. This may be why he's started to pick up injuries. If he's still here, let's judge him at the start of next season when he's fresh.

Fair point. I would like him and Sara to pick the pace up next season, fitness and sharpness with the ball. If they do I would hope we are going to be in the play offs at least. They are the two who have shown some kind of ability to hurt teams. With Gibbs and Sorenson showing really good potential, we have the core of an exciting midfield. 

3 hours ago, ZLF said:

The damage done by Shakespeare &smith having no consistent style of play, restricting movement ( eg max), minimising fitness and lowering confidence hit hard.  Follow that up with wagners attempt to catch up fitness and play a style tactics that leaves massive gaps behind the full backs acres between the cbs and conceding cm to the other team that all opponents now exploit game after game shows what a disaster this season has been for the squad.   

Yes, agree largely with this. He has quality - that volleyed goal he scored was sensational - and the second goal he scored was quality too - and he will surely be better after a rest and a good pre-season.

I remember people writing off Vrancic off in his first season, even though he too showed quality on occasions that season. Nunez is still young too, only just 23 in March. Best years to come from him. 

Sara too, if we manage to keep him. Despite a stalling team, has done well on quite a few occasions.

What is lacking imo is a strong spine to the team. Farke had Krul, Zimmermann, Skipp, Buendia and Pukki.  Next season it could be Gunn, Hayden, Sara and Sargent........help!  What Nunez's role will be we'll have to wait and see, can he be the next Buendia or the next Vrancic?  Lets hope so, we need him to be!

Apparently amongst Tzolis, Nunez, Sara, dowell and whoever else you want to throw into the hat, we have a world beating team but we just don't know it, moreover, they don't seem to know it. 

We can't keep trying to ignite damp wood. Swapping managers isn't the answer - Tzolis has served under 3. 

A shakeup is needed. (The team not the manager)

Edited by Chelm Canary

3 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Apparently amongst Tzolis, Nunez, Sara, dowell and whoever else you want to throw into the hat, we have a world beating team but we just don't know it, moreover, they don't seem to know it. 

We can't keep trying to ignite damp wood. Swapping managers isn't the answer - Tzolis has served under 3. 

A shakeup is needed. (The team not the manager)

A shake up is needed, but ever so slowly we're starting to see improvements in Tzolis. Also it can take some time for foreign players to adapt. Nunez and Sara could improve considerably next season. 

Sargent has donexwell considering he's pkayed 2nd fiddle to pukki and most of ghe season on wing. Gibbs has also looked a bright spark.

We need better defenders, a cdm and additional firepower but maybe its not all doom and gloom.

18 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

A shake up is needed, but ever so slowly we're starting to see improvements in Tzolis

I'm not so certain that ever so slowly is going change much next season or even the season after