Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

So just under an hour to go then we  can put this topic to bed thank goodness. No more additions , but perhaps was to be expected. Good news is Omo is still here, as is Sara, even Josh (ya hes out for a good while but will be back)

If, as looking likely, we go with what we have, am still confident for the season, long as we  remain playing  entertaining stuff, scoring goals etc etc.  Guys like Dimi  and PP are  like new players, weve still got Sainz to play his first game and Rowe has been a revelation. The Summer transfer window overall has felt like a success and the first few games of this season has been gobsmackingly different to the final games of last season.

OTBC.

1 minute ago, Essjayess said:

So just under an hour to go then we  can put this topic to bed thank goodness. No more additions , but perhaps was to be expected. Good news is Omo is still here, as is Sara, even Josh (ya hes out for a good while but will be back)

If, as looking likely, we go with what we have, am still confident for the season, long as we  remain playing  entertaining stuff, scoring goals etc etc.  Guys like Dimi  and PP are  like new players, weve still got Sainz to play his first game and Rowe has been a revelation. The Summer transfer window overall has felt like a success and the first few games of this season has been gobsmackingly different to the final games of last season.

OTBC.

An hour + 1 day....

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

No who's he

He comes from Colney 

He's running down the wing

When he runs at you, you can't do anything 

He's ****ing magic, and all you ****ing need to know

He's Jonny, Jonny, Jonny Rowe!

You did ask!

2 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

OTBC.

Another day to go isn’t there.

6 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You've heard of Jonathan Rowe yes?

You've heard we're the top scorers in the Championship yes?

You've heard that our main striker is out injured for a few months yes?

59 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

You've heard that our main striker is out injured for a few months yes?

Of course I have - my point - and it was very obvious - is that we've got plenty of others in the team who are in good goalscoring form at the moment. (You may have noticed that we scored 3 more after Sargent went off on Saturday).

And just for the avoidance of doubt - that's not me saying that we shouldn't sign another striker - it's just that the person I was replying to was making the startling revelation that we need to score goals. 

Seems my brain was already  in Friday night when it was Thursday night..my bad...one of those weeks.  We still have a  bit of time then...but if  nothing changes then my thoughts remain the same...plenty to look forward to.

14 hours ago, Dame to Blame said:

If True thats the end of the Cannon interest we will not be able to compete with those two clubs. 

Strange how when other clubs come down from the prem we can’t compete with them financially for transfers and yet when we come down other clubs are able to compete with us….

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Strange how when other clubs come down from the prem we can’t compete with them financially for transfers and yet when we come down other clubs are able to compete with us….

Examples ?

feels a bit unfair when you think how much we splashed on Gabby Sara last summer without making loads of sales like this years relegated clubs have . Anyway who is coming in today? Did that Finnish striker from Italy go anywhere ?

1 minute ago, Soldier on said:

Examples ?

feels a bit unfair when you think how much we splashed on Gabby Sara last summer without making loads of sales like this years relegated clubs have . Anyway who is coming in today? Did that Finnish striker from Italy go anywhere ?

It's not usually the case we get involved in big bidding battles. Probably because we can't compete. We're normally pretty smart about keeping our interest under wraps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It's not usually the case we get involved in big bidding battles. Probably because we can't compete. We're normally pretty smart about keeping our interest under wraps. 

Indeed expecting any one that comes in to not have been linked previously tbh

My prediction today is Lowe and the Man City kid in. We will need a Cb if we sell Andy. The prospect of the latter worries me as it’s inevitable that if we did not sign cover then Gibson or Duffy will immediately get injured. 

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

My prediction today is Lowe and the Man City kid in. We will need a Cb if we sell Andy. The prospect of the latter worries me as it’s inevitable that if we did not sign cover then Gibson or Duffy will immediately get injured. 

Thanks Mystic Jim.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I will be absolutely ecstatic if i am proved wrong , time will tell .  

Edited by Dame to Blame

I doubt Omobamidele will leave. According to The Guardian's Italian football expert Milan sold their highly-rated midfielder to Newcastle very early on for a lot of money so they had the cash available to get in the players they fancied as quickly as possible. If they had really wanted Omo they probably would have got him by now.

Otherwise, it is clear that despite the initial "no need" spin Webber and Wagner have decided they do need a Sargent-replacing striker for the first-team squad. Which is the right decisiosn.

But it seems we have only asked about Cannon as a loan deal, and ditto for Lowe, for obvious reasons, and that makes it harder to convince a real talent to join. Us for a season or Leicester permanently? Not a tough choice. If we switch strategy and decide we need to offer someone a permanent deal that would improve our chances.

Despite all the excitement the truth looks pretty much that there were no plans to get someone in before Sargent's injury but now we are looking at a loan for cover rather than to go into the team. Makes sense, Wagner doesn't like working with big squads, we don't have the cash, and it would take 3 to 4 weeks for an incomer to get up to speed on the Wagner way of working anyway.

That said they might blow us away with a Huckerby/Crouchesque double acquisition and I'll look a happy idiot. I just don't think so.

3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Despite all the excitement the truth looks pretty much that there were no plans to get someone in before Sargent's injury but now we are looking at a loan for cover rather than to go into the team. Makes sense, Wagner doesn't like working with big squads, we don't have the cash, and it would take 3 to 4 weeks for an incomer to get up to speed on the Wagner way of working anyway.

That said they might blow us away with a Huckerby/Crouchesque double acquisition and I'll look a happy idiot. I just don't think so.

Would make sense. Idah really needs a prolonged run up top as he's never really had it. Some of that was the Pukki factor so when he did get a run of games it was on the wing more often than not. And some of it was just down to injuries.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Things have changed though, more subs, longer games, long season means bigger squads are necessary for anyone to compete over a season 

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I doubt Omobamidele will leave. According to The Guardian's Italian football expert Milan sold their highly-rated midfielder to Newcastle very early on for a lot of money so they had the cash available to get in the players they fancied as quickly as possible. If they had really wanted Omo they probably would have got him by now.

Otherwise, it is clear that despite the initial "no need" spin Webber and Wagner have decided they do need a Sargent-replacing striker for the first-team squad. Which is the right decisiosn.

But it seems we have only asked about Cannon as a loan deal, and ditto for Lowe, for obvious reasons, and that makes it harder to convince a real talent to join. Us for a season or Leicester permanently? Not a tough choice. If we switch strategy and decide we need to offer someone a permanent deal that would improve our chances.

Would look closer to home for destinations for Andy O. Fulham, Sheff U and Forest have all been previously credited with an interest and Fulham are about to lose a defender.

26 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Would look closer to home for destinations for Andy O. Fulham, Sheff U and Forest have all been previously credited with an interest and Fulham are about to lose a defender.

That is possible, especially if we switch strategy on the strikers and need quick money to offer permanent deals.

40 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Would make sense. Idah really needs a prolonged run up top as he's never really had it. Some of that was the Pukki factor so when he did get a run of games it was on the wing more often than not. And some of it was just down to injuries.

He does, but him and Barnes are going to have to stay very fit for several months. That would be a first for AI, plus he has to turn into a 20 goal a season striker, like now really.

It's a huge call for Wagner and I know what I would do. I think it's pretty clear we are trying to do business but the clock is ticking for last orders.

If we do go with makeshift strikers, false no.9s, an untried kid, I don't want to hear people whining on here about Sarge's injury.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He does, but him and Barnes are going to have to stay very fit for several months. That would be a first for AI, plus he has to turn into a 20 goal a season striker, like now really.

It's a huge call for Wagner and I know what I would do. I think it's pretty clear we are trying to do business but the clock is ticking for last orders.

If we do go with makeshift strikers, false no.9s, an untried kid, I don't want to hear people whining on here about Sarge's injury.

Agree, just saying I think a back-up player is going to make more sense bearing in mind the aim really should be to get quality minutes into Idah.

• Like 1

For me we needed another striker anyway sarge and Idah both have poor injury records and you cant flog barnes 90 mins week in week out .. as we now play 2 up top we needed 4 strikers in building. Was excited about thought of cannon. Lowe signing if happens totally underwhelming but better than nothing at all. Hoping it’s Someone else out of nowhere though. No signing at all would be total disaster… 

Waiting to see if Tosin Aderebayo leaves Fulham then… big Andy straight to them, A.N. Other to Norwich 

Edited by Tetteys Jig

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

It's not strange, is it? It's as straight forward as it can be. They have more money than us.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

i think a talent like Cannon for around the 7 mil mark you have to buy really 

scored in champs before 

young can improve so we can profit 

we need 4 strikers if we play 2 up front to rotate and one of them is injured and really do not know when he will be back ,

Sarge and i really do not hope this but we have seen it before with injuries might be out for a long time in may need second op etc might break down when recovery etc 

Cannon ticks all the boxes to cover and stay in team and then sell on