Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

3 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

It’s more a disaster because we currently only have two fit strikers, one of which has an extremely poor goal return! 

But then I suppose you are happy with that aren’t you, just having two strikers?

Which one has a poor goal return Baldy?

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Yes

You know you don't have to have to make your text bigger than everyones elses and make it green we can read your posts just fine. Or is it an attention thing? I can't blame you I love getting attention too

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Badger said:

According to my spreadsheet, that would equate to 19 goals in a full championship season or 21 if he played the 10 minutes of injury time! 😉

So essentially what you're saying is that idah is already a 20 goal a season striker, he's just not had a season to actually prove it in... We're fine then

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Anyone who has watched any of our games (or at least read Ben Lee's tactical analysis) know this is utter tosh. Both Barnes & Sargent have been playing as false nines rather than as in a "2-striker system". As Wagner says there are a number already in the club who can play that role. That is not to diminish Josh's contribution or say we won't miss his energy and aerial presence.

From what I've seen of Fassnacht so far, he seems to be offering more when coming inside centrally, think he could operate here too..

...then opening a space for Sainz

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Wagner can say whatever he wants, you cant just drop Nunez, Gibbs etc into that position, it will not work. Hence why we're looking for a striker.

Remember a player called Chris Sutton? He was moved from defence to striker. How did that go?

Just now, LaUnionCanary said:

Remember a player called Chris Sutton? He was moved from defence to striker. How did that go?

Didnt Gareth Bale also start out his career as a leftback? Not doing myself any favours by saying this mind

• Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Didnt Gareth Bale also start out his career as a leftback? Not doing myself any favours by saying this mind

Correct 

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It's a beautiful system but it works because we have Idah/Barnes/Josh up front. Those players are all very similar. Yout cannot drop Nunez into that gap (for example) and expect the same results.

Yeah, this. 

Nuñez, Gibbs and Sara, who can all play as 'false nines' in our system, are all completely different in terms of playing style to Sargent, Barnes and Idah. By suddenly going from using two of the latter three to only one, you're changing the way we play an awful lot. It's not as simple as putting a different player in the same position on the pitch and expecting similar outcomes if their playing style is totally different.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You know you don't have to have to make your text bigger than everyones elses and make it green we can read your posts just fine. Or is it an attention thing? I can't blame you I love getting attention too

WAIT, WE CAN CHANGE FONT SIZES AND COLOURS ON THIS? MARVELLOUS! 😄 

YOU'LL BE TELLING ME THE EMOTICONS WORK PROPERLY NEXT! 😄😄😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Unrelated to us but with Brighton signing Ansu Fati and now this.. I have given up hope of this transfer window making sense

I've just seen the BBC live feed ask the question/make the statement; "Hugo Lloris to Sheffield Utd? Stranger things have happened". 

That would be ****ing bonkers if that happened.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

WAIT, WE CAN CHANGE FONT SIZES AND COLOURS ON THIS? MARVELLOUS! 😄 

YOU'LL BE TELLING ME THE EMOTICONS WORK PROPERLY NEXT! 😄😄😄

They don't seem to be working on mine so I'm a tad jealous..My dial up is making all these odd noises too

winblows.jpg

• Haha 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

They don't seem to be working on mine so I'm a tad jealous..My dial up is making all these odd noises too

winblows.jpg

Is this why? 😉

35 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Anyone who has watched any of our games (or at least read Ben Lee's tactical analysis) know this is utter tosh. Both Barnes & Sargent have been playing as false nines rather than as in a "2-striker system". As Wagner says there are a number already in the club who can play that role. That is not to diminish Josh's contribution or say we won't miss his energy and aerial presence.

BF, as you know I am happy to reveal my tactical ignorance. But even if Barnes and Sargent have both played as false nines, presumably that is not at the same time in a match. I assume one of them still sort of plays as a striker when the other is dropping deep.

I get that there are players - I think Fassnacht particularly - who could nominally be a striker and drop back as a false nine. But that is not the same as actually playing as a striker. In other words you could not have the switching of roles you can have with two genuine strikers, or you could but it wouldn't be as effective.

The other point is very simple - what happens if we don't sign a striker and one out of Idah and Barnes gets injured? Or in the latter case suspended. Or Idah still doesn't quite make the top-three grade. And it does seem clear Webber and Wagner have decided we have to get someone in.

PS. I have just seen Wacky's post which I think is making the same point.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Let's all be honest this is transfer deadline day we are all going to say silly things or start to panic today a bit more so with Sargents injury.. We tend to go through this sort of thing every season

No. Some, not "all". And many of those 'some' have track reccord for it.

People need to calm down and chill. Read twice before clicking 'submit reply'.

19 minutes ago, BigFish said:

That goes to show how little you know and how little you understand. Wagner has got us a top two start early doors with a sophisticated system and you really don't appreciate what is going on.

Whilst you, of course, understand thoroughly all the various nuances and tactical strategies of the NCFC first team? Why do you seek to publicly 'slag off' someone who (from what I can see) has merely politely disagreed with you? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It's a beautiful system but it works because we have Idah/Barnes/Josh up front. Those players are all very similar. Yout cannot drop Nunez into that gap (for example) and expect the same results.

Indeed not! But then I'm assuming Wagner has enough football nous to realise that, and would play a system that accommodates their abilities.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

BF, as you know I am happy to reveal my tactical ignorance. But even if Barnes and Sargent have both played as false nines, presumably that is not at the same time in a match. I assume one of them still sort of plays as a striker when the other is dropping deep.

I get that there are players - I think Fassnacht particularly - who could nominally be a striker and drop back as a false nine. But that is not the same as actually playing as a striker. In other words you could not have the switching of roles you can have with two genuine strikers, or you could but it wouldn't be as effective.

The other point is very simple - what happens if we don't sign a striker and one out of Idah and Barnes gets injured? Or in the latter case suspended. Or Idah still doesn't quite make the top-three grade. And it does seem clear Webber and Wagner have decided we have to get someone in.

To be fair, people have linked to tactical analysis that supports this.

Though what I would say is look at the goal spread and the highlights.

The goal Rowe scored that Idah assisted is on point. Rowe is in the striking position, not at the back post, but attacking the front post.

I think there is a degree of fluidity between our attacking four, should we consider them to be that.

I think Barnes is the one less likely to run the channels though and is more often than not central.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

A private jet landed in Norwich just aft 14.30 just saying

Are we buying Bono's hat?

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Really? Idah has or do you think his record is great? 

His goals per minutes played is pretty decent actually, and a bit harsh to judge him based on minutes he hasn't played!

• Like 2

Have we bought that young striker from Man City? Or was that all speculation too?

I remember one transfer deadline day switching on the laptop at midnight to find we had bought some promising youngster from Coventry for a couple of million. Not a word of speculation about him before the announcement. Whatever happened to him?

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I remember one transfer deadline day switching on the laptop at midnight to find we had bought some promising youngster from Coventry for a couple of million. Not a word of speculation about him before the announcement. Whatever happened to him?

I long for those days of David McNally tweeting "Don't go to bed yet Norwich fans!" on deadline day..

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Hey @PurpleCanary, I am going on the basis of better tactical minds than mine but yes, they both do go deep at the same time. This creates a midfield box which overloads the oppositions CDM and works in the half spaces. Also asks questions of the other teams CBs - do they sit or do they follow. This leaves Rowe and Faasnacht as a front two and gives Sara/McLean space to advance into. The rotation makes it a nightmare play against at EFL level but also difficult to slot someone fresh in. Result is that yes, all the names Wagner mentioned could play in a front 4, but it is unlikely we can buy someone who will be ready to without 3/4 weeks acclimatization. Any suggestion otherwise are for the birds.

• Thanks 1