Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Wagner "I’m very pleased with the performance"

I guess it was a well earned point from a game we would have likely lost under the previous manager.

We're still very much in the running for play-offs but obviously it's a shame performances in our last 3 games haven't been better.

Todays result wasn’t the issue it’s losing to Sunderland drawing against Huddersfield.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say it. 

When confidence is a bit iffy, as it is right now, a public criticism from the coach is only going to make it worse.

Exactly, especially in an away clash against a team in form and a few experiments didn't work out too well. I can see what he's thinking with Lungi at right-back and Aarons in front as Aarons can focus more on attack whilst also having played more than enough as a defender to be aware of what is required off the ball, but it didn't work well as both lads looked ill-at-ease.

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

When confidence is a bit iffy, as it is right now, a public criticism from the coach is only going to make it worse.

Seems to have worked for Warnock.

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You don't need to criticise, but something along the lines of, "It wasn't a bad point against a team in form, but we rode our luck a bit and have things we will take away and work on". Saying THAT was a good performance is a bit embarrassing if truth be told.

Edited by canarydan23

I think if we'd got four or six points from the games against Sunlan and Uddersfield, we might be more likely to have seen today's game as a hard-fought point at a tough place to go.

Not for a moment saying we played well, but for a team that's often really fragile, I thought they stuck at it pretty well today.

Worrying. Smith used to say our performances were good when even Stevie Wonder could see how bad they were.

I hope by good performance that Wagner really means the result against an in-form Stoke team.

Said it on another thread - getting a bit concerned at the first signs of fans turning on Wagner. The man's not a miracle worker - he can only work with the tools he's given!

Judge him after a transfer window, assuming he's given the chance to clear out dead wood and a modest budget to bring in his own players.

Sensible thing for him to say. I dont think we were vaguely good but we made sure second half we didn't lose the game. Worked hard and dug in despite us showing no quality for 90 minutes. 

Of course Smith got vilified for saying the same thing so arguably Wagner should get the same treatment but I understood why Smith tried to keep the confidence of the players somewhere in line.

• Like 1

If I was dating Norwich and had to report how it went with the lads, I’d say Norwich was damaged goods and probably not see her again.  Norwich needs a little hug, some therapy for 6 months and then, and only then, can get back on the apps. Bless her

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

If I was dating Norwich and had to report how it went with the lads, I’d say Norwich was damaged goods and probably not see her again.  Norwich needs a little hug, some therapy for 6 months and then, and only then, can get back on the apps. Bless her

I'd say Norwich is a 6 pinter....

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Seems to have worked for Warnock.

It’s also working fantastically for Conte ( or perhaps not!)

12 hours ago, Richard Richard said:

Said it on another thread - getting a bit concerned at the first signs of fans turning on Wagner. The man's not a miracle worker - he can only work with the tools he's given!

Judge him after a transfer window, assuming he's given the chance to clear out dead wood and a modest budget to bring in his own players.

tools being the operative word

14 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

One thing I will give him is that if you aren’t playing well enough to win a game you make sure you don’t lose. That was 100% a game we lose under smith earlier in the season. 

To be fair I'm pleased we managed to play like that and get a point. If I was a Stoke fan I'd be pissed we didn't get 3 points. We were awful

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

One thing I will give him is that if you aren’t playing well enough to win a game you make sure you don’t lose. That was 100% a game we lose under smith earlier in the season. 

That's a hard statement to prove or disprove, but FWIW our win % under Wagner in the Championship isn't that much better than Smith (50% vs 42% respectively). 

Maybe you should amend your statement to "That was 8% a game we would lose under Smith..."

14 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Todays result wasn’t the issue it’s losing to Sunderland drawing against Huddersfield.

Huddersfield who beat Millwall at the Den yesterday

44 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Hmm, he says “this time you could see Norwich not getting the ball out from a goal-kick. I've not seen them do that before.” Clearly he hasn’t watched us much this season! 😐

17 minutes ago, Branston said:

Huddersfield who beat Millwall at the Den yesterday

Sorry, but that’s too nuanced a view for this board. Please don’t do it again. Everything is either great or rubbish.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry, but that’s too nuanced a view for this board. Please don’t do it again. Everything is either great or rubbish.

Definitely so - but, equally, saying ‘a’ beat ‘b’, ‘b’ beat ‘c’ so therefore ‘a’ will beat ‘c’ is pretty stupid.  It doesn’t work like that, as yesterday proved. 

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

It’s also working fantastically for Conte ( or perhaps not!)

Of course not. A coach must not tell the sensitive individuals that they let the club, coach, themselves but particularly the supporters down by not trying or giving up in public. 

How the hell do supporters know the coaches true feelings? Tell the public they played well when they didn't? That is a great message for the fans.