Wonder what will happen with BBC's live coverage of football on the radio? It will be a bit crap with no overarching programme to link it all together or no co comms.

Will the radio presenters and pundits be seen as 'scabs'?

Perhaps no coverage of our game on Sunday on Radio Norfolk 😀

The Times are reporting that commentators are talking to one another and their union, the NUJ, about boycotting MotD commentary duties tomorrow.

I sometimes watch games on bet 365 where the only sound is from the 'unpaid extras' in the stadium. It's better. Of course you have to guess about VAR but that makes it even more real. 

• Like 1

Such a revealing thread. Thanks, it’s mostly reaffirmed what I already suspected (knew).

Gary Lineker, by the way, was an absolute hero to people of my era. World Cup Golden Boot winner, 48 goals for England in only 80 caps, successful at Barcelona when Brits were failing all over. Never booked. A gentleman and a crisp connoisseur. All that and he’s gone up in my estimation. What a man. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Agree. This isn’t remotely close to Germany in the 1930’s . Lineker’s comments aren’t being criticised because of being anti government other wise Have I Got News For You would never be aired. Comparing to a regime responsible for the murder of millions of Jews is reprehensible. 

Nope, you're wrong.

His tweet specifically talks about language being used. He's not said they are acting like or carrying out attrocities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Year of the tiger said:

This impartially, does anyone reckon if Lineker had tweeted in favour of the immigration policy, he would have been disciplined?  It would still have been breaching impartiality

To be fair saying that the language used sounded similar to 1930's Germany may well seen to be an act of support by some!! 

The big issue here is consistency. The Government had no problem with Andrew Neil writing for the right wing Spectator magazine when he was Chief Political Editor and no problem with John Humphrys writing for the Telegraph when he was host of their flagship radio news programme. 

The Government has interfered with an organisation that has a long history of impartiality because it has dared to report on the Government's

shortcomings. It's sinister behaviour, summed up best by Emily Maitland recently. She was at the planning stage of a programme on the economic effects of Brexit and was told by Boris's stooge that the programme must be balanced. So she arranged for 8 researchers to find economists prepared to speak on the benefits of leaving the EU. After 3 days they gave up and because they couldn't find anyone the programme was scrapped. 

It seems extraordinary that we have a Government that lives in fear of Marcus Rashford and Gary Lineker making them look stupid. 

I feel a bit ashamed of my country today and looking at social media it seems I'm in the majority. I have at least been heartened by the response of the other football pundits and the fact that players are refusing to be interviewed by the BBC. 

• Like 1

This is the result of the BBC not having disciplined Lineker effectively for his many previous transgressions.  Like a rebellious child, he has continued to push the boundaries and now thinks he’s bigger than the organisation that pays his exorbitant salary.  Of course, the BBC have undermined their own position by their continued support for the soft-political virtue-signalling that British football seems to have embraced in recent years.

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Nope. I’m not . 

You are I'm afraid. He compared the words to what was coming out of Germany in the 30s. And they are very similar in their nasty, divisive rhetorical style. He's talking about the starting point not the end point.

• Like 5

Unless Lineker agrees to tow the line I don't think there's a way back for him and if that happens the BBC will lose a presenter that has helped keep the MOTD ratings high for nigh on 25 years, it's a bonkers situation given that the gist of what he said is spot on and is supported by millions in the country and the BBC's decision just highlights how controlling the Tory government has become.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DraytonBoy said:

Unless Lineker agrees to tow the line I don't think there's a way back for him and if that happens the BBC will lose a presenter that has helped keep the MOTD ratings high for nigh on 25 years, it's a bonkers situation given that the gist of what he said is spot on and is supported by millions in the country and the BBC's decision just highlights how controlling the Tory government has become.

I imagine he has already got another job set up and he will bravely be fronting Qatari football soon.

14 hours ago, Herman said:

My long term boycott will be for a political reason now.😀

Yes, I too will be not watching Match of the Day for a completely different reason tonight.

It’s not about what he said it’s about whether he was allowed under the BBC rules to say it. For such an important contractual point it needs to be absolutely clear where the boundaries are or this is going to keep happening as more and more people like to make their opinions heard in social media. 

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

This is the result of the BBC not having disciplined Lineker effectively for his many previous transgressions.  Like a rebellious child, he has continued to push the boundaries and now thinks he’s bigger than the organisation that pays his exorbitant salary.  Of course, the BBC have undermined their own position by their continued support for the soft-political virtue-signalling that British football seems to have embraced in recent years.

I know his salary will sound a lot to some but he is the best there is at what he does. If he moved to Sky he could triple his money. Gary Neville, for example, earns way more than Lineker. So his salary is large in comparison with the general population but it's not exorbitant for what he does. 

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It’s not about what he said it’s about whether he was allowed under the BBC rules to say it. For such an important contractual point it needs to be absolutely clear where the boundaries are or this is going to keep happening as more and more people like to make their opinions heard in social media. 

It's also about being even handed. Andrew Neil got clean away with it even though he was chief political editor. And Alan Sugar spouts his political views on Twitter without censure from the BBC. In fact Sugar uses the Apprentice programme to his financial benefit on Twitter. What would be the reaction if Lineker used MOTD as part of selling his 'brand' on Twitter?

One rule for friends of the Government and another for everyone else.....

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's also about being even handed. Andrew Neil got clean away with it even though he was chief political editor. And Alan Sugar spouts his political views on Twitter without censure from the BBC. In fact Sugar uses the Apprentice programme to his financial benefit on Twitter. What would be the reaction if Lineker used MOTD as part of selling his 'brand' on Twitter?

One rule for friends of the Government and another for everyone else.....

Although Sugar’s rubbish programme is made by an independent company and the BBC choose to buy it.

5 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Nope. I’m not . 

Tell us you've not understood what is happening here.

Lineker's words are on twitter, you can go and read them, they do not reflect your version.

Your version reflects what the MSM & the Tories have said, you've become a useful idiot.

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I know his salary will sound a lot to some but he is the best there is at what he does. If he moved to Sky he could triple his money. Gary Neville, for example, earns way more than Lineker. So his salary is large in comparison with the general population but it's not exorbitant for what he does. 

What is it that he does? As far as I can tell he talks a bit about football whilst making some utterly pathetic cheesy jokes. The bar obviously isn’t set very high

Edited by Virtual reality

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For reading an autocue on the BBC and making the occasional smug little jokey comment, all for 10x what the PM earns (approx)?  I’d say that’s overpaid.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Although Sugar’s rubbish programme is made by an independent company and the BBC choose to buy it.

Sugar uses Twitter to promote his political views and has a prominent BBC programme. But if you want to split hairs, Lineker is a self employed freelancer. Try a little bit more carefully to explain the difference and perhaps explain Andrew Heil (and John Humphrys for that matter). 

At the same time, explain why the BBC has scrapped a David Attenborough documentary that was critical of the Government. And to think we criticise the Russians for their state TV. 

Imagine having the luxury to just not go into work because you don’t like what your company has done 😂

literally any normal person would just get the sack

13 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

What is it that he does? As far as I can tell he talks a bit about football whilst making some utterly pathetic cheesy jokes. The bar obviously isn’t set very high

Beyond belief. You'll be telling me next that anyone could broadcast live to 10m people for an hour during a football match in which one of the players died. I'm sure it was easy, as I'm sure it is to have no programme at 5.00pm but host that programme at 10.00. Easy peasy. Anyone could do it. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog