1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Bet there are a few MP’s wishing now they had never started this fight. 

Ha!! With my bleary eyes i read that as MFs wishing they handnt started this fight😀😀.... same difference i suppose. 

Sport on the BBC is pretty much a non event anyway. They just about hold onto Wimbledon but what else is there? England games, cricket, snooker, motor racing, cycling, rugby etc etc all gone.

MOTD is pretty pointless anyway. Watching highlights (well the goals) of a game you already know the result of and couldn't less about is just a waste of Saturday viewing.

No post match interviews today so that's another bonus. Lovely Jubbly.

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 2

I think it’s unfortunate that this has turned into another culture war when it’s actually a simple matter of what is in his contract. 

Whether you agree with his statements or not is immaterial. Gary Lineker has a contract with BBC, Gary Neville has one with Sky. Neville is a vocal supporter of the Labour party and this doesn’t breach his contract terms. Lineker has strong opinions about the small boat’s situation and government policy, expressing them openly is deemed a breach of his contract. 

This is not a matter of freedom of speech, Lineker is not Rosa Parkes. If Lineker worked for Sky he can say what he likes but he signed a contract with the BBC instead.

It is very difficult not to have an opinion, even more so now with social media. It might mean that the BBC as we know it can’t go on and the licence fee model will have to finish as impartiality becomes impossible, but that day hasn’t come yet.

I can’t leave my job and join a direct rival or current supplier without facing legal consequences. I signed my contract. I’m not oppressed, it’s the terms of my employment.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Exactly ....the first thing you must do is ignore the looonies at either extreme...not use them to try to prove a point ( badly).  

Why take the fun out of this forum😉

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The “you are literally a Nazi” meme is very 2016, pretty old.

Like all the old people on Facebook who thought the “Karen” meme was hilarious and started over-using that about a decade after it’s been created and been blown out.

it frustrates me that these Facebook “screaming into the void about politics and their knee surgery” people are such a huge voice in the world.

social media is so gross

How do you know so much about what goes on on social media if you dont take part? Seems a bit odd... especially as you seem so up to date , radical and well informed ?  Just asking. 

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ha!! With my bleary eyes i read that as MFs wishing they handnt started this fight😀😀.... same difference i suppose. 

Lol

This is beginning to spin over into the clubs now, Marcus Rashford will seem like a minor incident if it carries on, and he brought them to their knees.

16 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

And there we have it. It’s clear that some on the left genuinely believe that the present government are indistinguishable from the Third Reich. 

I am actually a liberal with family that lived in Germany through those times. Although not an expert, being born in the 70s, I do have a reasonable knowledge of what happened then and a very good knowledge of what is happening now. Just paying attention, that is all.

Just now, ricardo said:

Why take the fun out of this forum😉

On this forum its fine, we all ' know ' each other...and can filter the total eeejits who talk in memes etc.  Out in the real world , loonies of either extremes need ignoring ( apart from when they are planning actual evil) i do not believe @essex canary is evil , just a greedy , self centred boor.

18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Thats the kind of leap which doesnt help at all. Its not what  @Herman is saying at all.

You are are protagonist of polarisation. 

But what i really want to know is how this will affect @essex canary share value. ...and does anyone think that the job should pass to Linekers children?

Thanking you.👍👍

Gary will now have some free and spare time to sort out his HMRC stuff and maybe spend some quality time with his celebrideee brother Wayne....

• Haha 1

Just now, Herman said:

Thanking you.👍👍

Dont like to see the most basic of  misunderstandings get air Hermano.... that  is most fundamental. .

I think there has been a lot of support for Lineker (still think of him as Mick Channon's "the boy Lionacre") from the public and those in the football and presenting arena.

So I thought I would see what the right wing programmes might say such as GB News and TalkTV. And true to form they accuse the BBC of being left wing bias anyway, Lineker of being left wing bias, those who support him of left wing bias. So no longer is the argument whether the Government's policy towards asylum seekers and whether the language surrounding the debate and tone of the legislation did resemble in any way 30's Germany but who supports the Government and who deosn't.

Stupid remarks from smug presenters who adamantly say they "respect free speech and Lineker's right to it" where what they mean is "I am employed by Murdoch and I was chosen because I have right wing views and wish to pretend I am a journalist but relieved that I can broadcast my views to those who will ring in such as Knuckledragger from Millwall who will not be criticised when his remarks are obviously racist etc."

Once again our opinions obliterate the facts. Lineker used twitter and in his own time and used words that evoked an era in Germany which many people know to be a time when not only was free speech threatened but the way people from other countries, beliefs and religions were being treated. Whether the analogy was fair is for us to decide.

Another fact is that the new DG of the BBC is under scrutiny because of the manner he was appointed and who were involved. And does that infer a move away from independency for the corporation (something some say is left wing biased anyway). Yet none of the right wing supposed news agencies refer to that. And now they make a supposition that if Lineker had agreed with the Government's bill, the left would have called him out. Which many did over his Qatar hypocrisy.

That Lineker appears to have been suspended now throws the BBC into a problem that they should never have had. MOTD is a dreadful programme that is a misnomer to start with. It is highlights of EPL matches. Its format is dull and boring. And Lineker is massively over paid for a programme where all he really does is invite others to comment. They obviously show these highlights because of a contract with those who show EPL games live. It won't take much for the dull and boring presenters to negotiate a contract with SKY and a highlights programme that will be far more entertaining to emerge. Then what will the BBC do?

To be honest I think they handle sport, surely one of the main reasons anyone watches TV, very poorly and blandly. You only have to see their Olympic coverage with the same old elitist athletes rolled out to tell us how hard it is.

For me, the BBC is like M&S. Its been around for years and does a good job with drama, current affairs and documentaries, much like M&S food counter. But everything else, like M&S clothing, is bland, boring, over hyped stuck in the past.

• Like 4

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

For me, the BBC is like M&S. Its been around for years and does a good job with drama, current affairs and documentaries, much like M&S food counter. But everything else, like M&S clothing, is bland, boring, over hyped stuck in the past.

Mrs R is now about to drag me up there.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I'm poppin' out to Aldi when football focus is on.....that way I don't miss anything decent on the telly....I'll be back for the Cherries v Red Scousers match on BT though....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

You are I'm afraid. He compared the words to what was coming out of Germany in the 30s. And they are very similar in their nasty, divisive rhetorical style. He's talking about the starting point not the end point.

This is the point that many are missing. Starting points.  As we all know, Brexit is a sign of right wing politics becoming more prevalent and any veering to the right should be seen as potentially dangerous and faced down, which to his credit, Lineker is doing.

The BBC is in a no win situation, it relies on the government to support it's existence and it is constantly walking a tightrope to try and get the right balance.  In this situation, they probably felt they had no alternative but to react how they did.  Mentioning the Na zi regime of Germany is always a red light and perhaps this will be the start of a wider debate about freedom of speech, which is gradually being eroded.......just like in Germany in the 30's......

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Reasonably priced quality underpants for Ricardo then.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Nope. I’m not . 

You are, 100% incorrect. As in, you have taken this beyond all context to make it more extreme than it was.

Again, his tweet compared language, as in rhetoric, very specifically, nothing else. 

As a result, you are the one being disrespectful.

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

Alex Scott has pulled out of football focus. We’ve moved up to virtue signalling warp speed one..

Solidarity is not virtue signalling. Look up the term and it's meaning, this is the wring use for it.

• Like 1

Just now, Virtual reality said:

Alex Scott has pulled out of football focus. We’ve moved up to virtue signalling warp speed one..

All the major stalwarts are now showing gazzer their solidarity....Reeeespekt!....innit!

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

All the major stalwarts are now showing gazzer their solidarity....Reeeespekt!....innit!

I’m going to rip off the public finances and use as many tax loopholes as possible in solidarity with Gary 

Edited by Virtual reality

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I’m going to rip off the public finances and use as many tax loopholes as possible is solidarity with Gary 

Gazzers a national buries his treasure....

Edited by Mello Yello

Just now, chicken said:

You are, 100% incorrect. As in, you have taken this beyond all context to make it more extreme than it was.

Again, his tweet compared language, as in rhetoric, very specifically, nothing else. 

As a result, you are the one being disrespectful.

The issue is that Cruella, the Fail and their chums have taken it all a step further by saying Lineker called them Nazis, and belittled the holocaust.  Nothing is further from the truth.

Likening the language to the 30s is spot on. Indeed, even on this country the Fail railed against Jewish people calling them ‘aliens’ - there’s plenty of evidence if you look. All you need is to substitute ‘asylum seeker’ in there and you have it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I’m going to rip off the public finances and use as many tax loopholes as possible is solidarity with Gary 

Imagine if Gary had paid more tax, the Tories would have been able to spend even more on PPE provided by companies owned by their mates. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I’m going to rip off the public finances and use as many tax loopholes as possible in solidarity with Gary 

Using tax loopholes is something accountants plenty of people to do - perfectly legally - and most would do it.  But equally if you want that changed - as any right minded person would - you should do something about it rather than whinge about people using the law to their favour.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, chicken said:

Solidarity is not virtue signalling. Look up the term and it's meaning, this is the wring use for it.

Odd isn’t it, it is a ridiculous term, misused as a catch all for ‘someone is doing something I don’t like’.

• Like 2

This is all very strange. To me Lineker is a once great footballer who turned into a smug tw*t presenting a dated show, nothing more or less. To others he seems to be the new Jesus (other religions are available) or at the very least another stick to beat each other with as part of the never-ending Twitter culture wars.

I like a packet of Walkers Ready Salted as much as the next man but I don't tend to listen to political commentary from anyone, let alone ex-footballers, especially on the festering sh*thole that is Twitter. Right-wing, left-wing, chicken-wing blah blah blah. It's all so tiresome and dull. 

I'll be watching MotD tonight simply because it will be in a format that I will enjoy more than the previous ex-footballer jerk circle.

OTBC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

This is all very strange. To me Lineker is a once great footballer who turned into a smug tw*t presenting a dated show, nothing more or less. To others he seems to be the new Jesus (other religions are available) or at the very least another stick to beat each other with as part of the never-ending Twitter culture wars.

I like a packet of Walkers Ready Salted as much as the next man but I don't tend to listen to political commentary from anyone, let alone ex-footballers, especially on the festering sh*thole that is Twitter. Right-wing, left-wing, chicken-wing blah blah blah. It's all so tiresome and dull. 

I'll be watching MotD tonight simply because it will be in a format that I will enjoy more than the previous ex-footballer jerk circle.

OTBC

Not at all.  Most people couldn’t care less about Lineker per se, it just happens to be him as opposed to someone else.  You are just missing the point.

12 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

They didn't get rid of Clarkson for his political views did they? They got rid of him because he punched a colleague. 

And that was a long time after the fact. Not only that, I'm not sure he was 'sacked'...

No, his contract wasn't renewed. Also worth noting that the list of issues is huge and the BBC even tried to cover up some of the things, though they still aired stuff that was contravercial.