55 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Can we now call Tories "snowflakes?".

Just don't call them the N word. Turns out they get really upset about it. 

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It turns out that there is something worse than Nazis. Whiny Nazis.😉

...come on Norwich. Bristol Rovers have started, us next surely?! Maybe Rovers are going first to shake the scent away from their nickname and any link to the current Tory Reich, I mean regime.  #wakeupattheback

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

And I note after foaming at the bbc the govt is now stepping back and absolving itself of anything. Utterly contemptible.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Bet there are a few MP’s wishing now they had never started this fight. 

But that was their tactic all along. Tie the beeb up in knots to distract from other crap they'll slip through in the meantime. Anyone clock there's a budget statement next week? It must contain some really grim news.

The govt needs the Beeb to assist with their overseas development strategy. So they aren't ever going to bring it down completely, it'd be like Putin allowing free speech. 

But a right wing govt always struggles with the fact a majority of the employees of the Beeb are left wing leaning social & liberal democrats (SW1 so cleverly portrayed this). As others have said you only have to look at the News front page on the web-site to appreciate this.

The Fail, the Scum and the Torygraph just can't break out of their silos to spread the message the current govt wants. Similar with the Grauniad and Stirrer. Nowadays I think everyone in this country sees this and sticks with what they are comfortable with. The country is in a mess and unfortunately no-one seems to be prepared to try and bring it together.

Mind you today, most people are more bothered about what the weather is going to throw at us next.

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You do know people are entitled to query their tax status - owing tax and then paying it is what most people do. He claims to be freelance, they say otherwise.  There’s a big difference to avoiding tax by breaking the law.

Its only the poor feckers who are on paye that stump it up weekly / monthly , then have to apply for rebates etc. Us self employed ( in Ireland anyway) have untill mid november the following year to assess and reduce our  tax liability ...if we file online.  My accountant  saves me far more than he costs me.  

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Ha ha , my first thought was the 'other ' N word.... does that make me a racist ? 

• Haha 1

Surely Lineker's opinion was correct. This Government just blames something or someone else for all of its failings to the people it purports to represent from the heart of their bottoms. Aren't we told it was Covid, the EU, Unions, Corbyn, Abbott, Russia, that had stopped the Tories sharing their greed amongst us hoi polloi?

Wasn't Germany told that it was the Kaiser, Hindenburg, Jews, Gypsies, Union officials and the League of Nations fault for all their ills? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The £4.9m bill is a result of HMRC determining that he isn't "within the law", clearly. 

People lap it up when he virtue signals about having a refugee in his house for less than 3 weeks, but conveniently ignore that he's opting not to pay his fair share of the hotel bill for Channel migrants. 

He's odious.

You're entitled to think he's odious. What he tweeted was accurate.  The fact everyone is talking about this means we aren't talking about the government's failures,  the cost of living, the NHS, etc and also that the government is hoping this brings down the BBC, one of our great institutions and one of the few remaining things which make me feel proud to be British.  

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oops

You've switched rapidly between being ardently anti-tax avoidance on here just a few weeks ago, to vehemently defending the character of a huge tax avoider. Funny how people pick and choose their moral stance to suit their own agenda really isn't it.

What's your opinion on the £4.9m that Gary Lineker owes to HMRC? Had a lot to say about tax avoidance recently, but have gone very quiet about that.

2 minutes ago, Taiwan Canary said:

You're entitled to think he's odious. What he tweeted was accurate.  The fact everyone is talking about this means we aren't talking about the government's failures,  the cost of living, the NHS, etc and also that the government is hoping this brings down the BBC, one of our great institutions and one of the few remaining things which make me feel proud to be British.  

I think we should forgive the tweet, admit the BBC got that a bit wrong.

Then tell him he can have his job back when he settles his £4.9m tax bill with HMRC to help pay for the tens of thousands of channel migrants that are currently being kept in hotels. Sound fair? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Then tell him he can have his job back when he settles his £4.9m tax bill with HMRC to help pay for the tens of thousands of channel migrants that are currently being kept in hotels. Sound fair? 

He has paid the bill but is appealing.

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Being a hypocrite that he is, and you are possibly right about his tax affairs, doesn't preclude him from having an opinion about the Government's policy on immigration. Even if he tweets it from Wormwood Scrubs.

Edited by keelansgrandad

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If he's proven to owe that tax  I'm sure he'll pay it. Rather than spend the money on hotel rooms,  I'd rather see a government that was able to deal with the applications (which are far fewer than most comparable countries) in a timely and effective manner instead of wasting tax payers money and stirring up hate.

• Like 1

Breaking news - it's just been announced on the club's Twitter account that the City Stand is standing down tomorrow in solidarity with Gary Lineker; there will be no singing of any kind from that section of the ground.

OTBC

• Haha 3

Just now, Taiwan Canary said:

If he's proven to owe that tax  I'm sure he'll pay it. Rather than spend the money on hotel rooms,  I'd rather see a government that was able to deal with the applications (which are far fewer than most comparable countries) in a timely and effective manner instead of wasting tax payers money and stirring up hate.

He has paid HMRC's assessment in full already, he's not short of a bob or two but doesn't want to risk paying interest and penalties. He's appealing on the basis that HMRC have treated some of his income incorrectly - he is questioning their interpretation of the tax law, not trying to avoid tax. Of course, if he wins his case he may well recover a repayment. 

In this case, and in the case of his supposed breach of his "employment / freelance contract" with the BBC, he is testing the detail to provide certainty for all tax payers. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can we just confirm then CanaryDan23 that the left are claiming Gary Lineker, who owes £4.9m to HMRC as a result of tax avoidance, as being one of their own?

Is he one of yours?

And none of this argument is at all convenient to Gary Lineker as it means the headlines are all about this free speech / impartiality dispute, rather than about the appeal he launched a few days earlier to try and get out of paying this £4.9m?

Would pay the salary of 147 nurses for a year that money. 

That's hopelessly inaccurate.

Firstly, the tax has been paid pending an appeal.

Secondly, this is a legal dispute over the precise legal nature of a business partnership with his then wife. He paid the tax when challenged by HMRC then elected to challenge the HMRC interpretation of the legal arrangements. 

Thirdly, it is the BBC's legal responsibility to operate PAYE if they consider someone to be an employee. They didn't. 

This is an extremely complex taxation issue which has been a problem since the 1980's. 

• Like 2

Come on TVB. Let's have your come back on that.

If you want to know what is going on with Lineker's tax, (the £4.9m covers several years as well, it isn't just a single year's tax) although he doesn't live with his wife he still insists they have a married relationship. HMRC say they don't, therefore some of the reliefs afforded married couples should not apply. I'm sure this is destined to get very nasty. Can you be married but still live separate lives? 🤔

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That's hopelessly inaccurate.

Firstly, the tax has been paid pending an appeal.

Secondly, this is a legal dispute over the precise legal nature of a business partnership with his then wife. He paid the tax when challenged by HMRC then elected to challenge the HMRC interpretation of the legal arrangements. 

Thirdly, it is the BBC's legal responsibility to operate PAYE if they consider someone to be an employee. They didn't. 

This is an extremely complex taxation issue which has been a problem since the 1980's. 

Oh dear. Are you letting facts get in the way of things?  Does shed a rather different light on things - not a tax dodger at all.  

Just spent an hour on the indoor trainer and out of curiosity decided to listen to 5 Live.

Virtually everything cancelled and replaced by podcasts and pre-recorded shoite.

Doesn't sound as though they are broadcasting any live football. Even the news seemed heavily restricted.

BBC imploding.

MOTD might possibly be commentator free by the sounds of it.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

MOTD might possibly be commentator free by the sounds of it.

Proof that nothing is all bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

He has paid the bill

Nope, he hasn't.

He owes £3.6m in income tax, and £1.3m in national insurance. 

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Come on TVB. Let's have your come back on that.

If you want to know what is going on with Lineker's tax, (the £4.9m covers several years as well, it isn't just a single year's tax) although he doesn't live with his wife he still insists they have a married relationship. HMRC say they don't, therefore some of the reliefs afforded married couples should not apply. I'm sure this is destined to get very nasty. Can you be married but still live separate lives? 🤔

That is a tiny element.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Nope, he hasn't.

He owes £3.6m in income tax, and £1.3m in national insurance. 

If he loses the case.  Do you not understand how it works?  Clearly not, but you’ll tell us all otherwise.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

If he loses the case.  Do you not understand how it works?  Clearly not, but you’ll tell us all otherwise.

Will he get Zahawi to speak up for him?