chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Millwall (A/L) ****

10 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Hanley may have made a huge mistake earlier on, but he savedĀ us the points today with his block on the line.

He did indeed.

Great win. Ā I do wonder how many more points weā€™d have without conceding so many poor goals; obviously all sides/players make mistakes and itā€™s one of those things, but 23 conceded via mistakes is dreadful (if true).

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Is 2nd still in reach??

Boro clear favourites for me, but could we?!Ā 

No, no we couldn't šŸ¤£Ā 

Play offs very much a real possibility again though.Ā 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Great win. Ā I do wonder how many more points weā€™d have without conceding so many poor goals; obviously all sides/players make mistakes and itā€™s one of those things, but 23 conceded via mistakes is dreadful (if true).

I think that's chances conceded we are top of. I assume that's also the same for goals but hopefully the number is a bit lower!

This may have been mentioned already but Fifa President Gianni Infantino was at the New Den today for that five-goal thriller.

11 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Is 2nd still in reach??

Boro clear favourites for me, but could we?!Ā 

We're 1 point better than Middlesbrough on last 5 games but it would take a miracle. Sheff Utd are choking a bit and have the distraction of the FA Cup. I'd love them to miss out.

Us, Middlesbrough and Coventry are the in-form teams. I can see this going right to the last game.

Just when I write Grant off he does something like that. I mean really, come on.

However on balance I think he is a net liability - he certainly would be where we're headed next seasonĀ šŸ˜‰šŸ˜šŸ™‚

That Sara goal is something else. Great run by Onel and Sara then showed technique that should be beyond players at this level. One or even two quality goals like that could be a fluke, but it keeps happening now. I'd imagine every time he gets the ball in the final third now the crowd is going to scream shoooootĀ 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

That Sara goal is something else. Great run by Onel and Sara then showed technique that should be beyond players at this level. One or even two quality goals like that could be a fluke, but it keeps happening now. I'd imagine every time he gets the ball in the final third now the crowd is going to scream shoooootĀ 

Absolute class. Lit up an otherwise attritional gameĀ 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

In its way, just as impressive as Nunez's volley. Wagner really has transformed Sara (and he hasn't done badly with Nunez and Onel, either).

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

And it started right at the back; Goal of the season for me. And, no, I haven't forgotten last Saturday...šŸ˜

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

He's getting better and better now that his nervy/acclimatising periodĀ is over.

We despair at the real prospect of losing TeemuĀ at the end of the season.

If he keeps this up, and it will be noted by the bigger boys, then we could well lose Sara as well.

It would be for a massive price (profit) though. What's the sell-on clause?

Ā 

I think any comments about 2nd place will have to be on hold until Tuesdays results when Shef Utd are away at Reading. Win, and they go 12 points ahead of us and 7 ahead of Middlesbrough.

After that it'll be last 11 games which means 33pts to play for. For us to catch Shef Utd, let alone overhaul them, it would take something quite, well, miraculous.

The pant wetters can rest now though. 23pts off 22nd...Ā 

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Sums it up. Who is the captain? **** meĀ Chicken, three people expertly analyse the situation and you can't accept it.

Fair enough. You've been way off the pace in recent weeks, think you need a break.

In your opinion - again. "Expertly" - not in my opinion. Strange then that people who's job it is to watch and analyse sport appear to mainly be agreeing with me.

Equally, I'm not looking at it with a bias - which clearly at least you have.

Communication isn't a one directional thing either. It takes elements, talking, listening, language. Unless you were there and could hear that communication, you are in absolutely no position to lay blame. Hence I am not singling out either but that between them it clearly didn't result in what should have happened.

There really isn't a better analysis than that, because again, it would require some sort of psychic ability no one on this forum has.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

In your opinion - again. "Expertly" - not in my opinion. Strange then that people who's job it is to watch and analyse sport appear to mainly be agreeing with me.

Equally, I'm not looking at it with a bias - which clearly at least you have.

Communication isn't a one directional thing either. It takes elements, talking, listening, language. Unless you were there and could hear that communication, you are in absolutely no position to lay blame. Hence I am not singling out either but that between them it clearly didn't result in what should have happened.

There really isn't a better analysis than that, because again, it would require some sort of psychic ability no one on this forum has.

And their second goal. Communication again? Yep. Who was in charge of that conversation? Yep, the captain supposedly, at least that's what happens in most teams.Ā 

Hanley's main saving grace is he at least is still a good blocker, but if he played like a captain then Millwall wouldn't have had two goals today ahead of that game saving block.

Do two wrongs make a right?Ā 

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

He's getting better and better now that his nervy/acclimatising periodĀ is over.

We despair at the real prospect of losing TeemuĀ at the end of the season.

If he keeps this up, and it will be noted by the bigger boys, then we could well lose Sara as well.

It would be for a massive price (profit) though. What's the sell-on clause?

Ā 

Probably quite high as is usual for transfers involving young-ish players now days, plus we paid 10m for him and he's not even a year into a long contract so the fee would have to be huge. Goal scoring CM's are worth an absolute fortune though but I don't think it'll happen this summer, he's only just settled in and has some flaws he needs to iron out. I think PL clubs will be watching how he develops but won't be willing to bet 20m on him just yet which is probably what it would take for us to part with him right now.Ā 

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Like this.

Ā 

Who is it doing it half-arsed?šŸ˜‚

I would have beenĀ happy with a point as we were playing a team on a very good run, and so I was actually expecting defeat. I think theĀ impact an og can have on a side usually depends on what the score line is (had Millwall been 3-0 up at the time I doubt it would have had any effect), and as it put them behind I think that may made the differenceĀ 

I have to say Iā€™m very impressed weā€™veĀ beaten a side who have done really well recently, and were unbeaten in 11 home games

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

And their second goal. Communication again? Yep. Who was in charge of that conversation? Yep, the captain supposedly, at least that's what happens in most teams.Ā 

Hanley's main saving grace is he at least is still a good blocker, but if he played like a captain then Millwall wouldn't have had two goals today ahead of that game saving block.

Do two wrongs make a right?Ā 

Thanks for proving my point. Your opinion isn't "expert" it's biased. Therefore it's pretty much useless.Ā 

It's really sad, because I generally respect your posts. This, though, just proves that whilst posters can be respected some of the time, you should never rely upon them all of the time.

Captains are now in charge of "conversations" on the pitch and ALL communication?Ā Good grief this is just poor positioning in a discussion.Ā 

Edited by chicken

Fantastic result, well doneĀ toĀ all involved and to the manager forĀ picking a winning team and formation.

E I E I E I O

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

Lots of heart on display today

Wagner is building something here. Itā€™s the momentum Iā€™ve been looking for.

Ā 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Since Wagner came in the building , he could actually see ,( for want of a better word) , Gabi was kind of shy šŸ¤­ and not taking to many shots. I remember Wagner talking about this and telling him to go for the goals. This is the way he played at Sao Paulo and its nice to see him in his comfort no nonsense but sometimes extraordinary.Ā  I'm really happy for him . He will certainly be on the radar of a few clubs. Wagner is doing his homework on the player's.Ā 

Mengo in Brazil šŸ‡§šŸ‡·Ā 

Edited by Mengo

Hanley and Gibson have to be mentioned in any criticism of today.Ā 

The first goal has been well mentioned. But what about the second? Neither of them anywhere near the scorer, he was left to Pukki. Gibson then waved and pointed at others in blame. Take responsibility.

Neither are reliable I'm afraid. For two players who probably touch the ball most they should be better at delivery as well. And the playing out from the back is now making us targets for the press. Consequently, our CBs starting position on the pitch is in or around their own area. Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to take a punt upfield. Its certainly noticeable that Kenny (excellent again) is is hitting long crossfield balls to change things now and again.

The major compensation is that they have obviously been coached to take a higher line at free kicks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1