Canary Jedi

Realistic expectation for remainder of the season?

Realistic target for remainder of season?  

118 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What do you believe we should now be aiming for?

• Automatic promotion
    • Play-off winners
    • Play-off final
    • Play-off semis
    • Top 10
    • Avoid relegation

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/23 at 20:48

For me we shouldn’t give up on the play offs, but currently it looks difficult.  The most important thing is to reset the side, be clear what formation, and what a blend of squad we would need.

• Like 2

I think top 10 is realistic. Wagner has a big job on his hands and will have to spend a few more games trying to figure out who is good enough, where they play best and who is never playing for us again. Write off us going up this year, we ain't good enough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Where’s the ’No longer give a sh1t’ option? 

I think Webber already has dibs on that one!

• Haha 1

Anything less that promotion is a failure for this season.

Automatic has now disappeared.

We have to be in them playoffs come May.

Either way, the club needs a reset.

I think stop worrying about it. This season was always most likely to be a write off as soon as it was clear we were going to change direction mid-season.

Expect a mid-table finish, and if we do better then great. Take stock in the Summer to do better next year and see how things progress game-by-game for the rest of this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The expectation at the start of the season from the club was top 2. The minimum expectation right now has to be reach and win the playoffs.

Of course we should be aiming to win the playoffs.

Whether either expectation ever was or is realistic is debatable, but you don’t aim to fail, it just happens.

• Like 1

To write off this season will possibly mean a much harder realisation that we’re probably going to experience championship footy for a few seasons as already pointed out we’ve borrowed on the Parachute money and even with the 50% wage reduction being touted on relegation, we’ll need to reduce the wage bill.

Pukki is hedging his bets regarding his contract, Idah & Sargent look to be our main options next year and we’ll be reliant our youth system for a few seasons.

Hopefully we’ll release those who’s contracts are expiring, we’ll get some money back for players just not good enough or don’t want to play here, Rashica, Tzolis Nunez & Sara come to mind, I don’t think we can seriously build on these players.

Lastly I really hope our scouting team can get hold of the next Wes/Pritchard/Maddison/Buendia type and the Tettey/Skipp type we’ve missed for the past two seasons!

As everyone I’m no expert but a long time supporter who has an opinion, sometimes players, manager, scouting teams and Directors need to be changed to continually improve, you can’t always just rely on the same thing which once worked as time can breed comfort, comfort breeds complacency and this effects results. 

There is no “reset button” as one of our players says post match. No magic button or divine help to suddenly transform this team into a winning proposition. This is the level that this squad can produce. We are mid table mediocrities. That is the fact. We have no commitment. We take too many touches on the ball which slows the game and not enough energy or drive to press the opposition. We need to acknowledge that despite changing the coach this squad is non competitive and that mid table is our level.

Next season championship will be a really high standard too. Southampton, Bournemouth and another.. will all spend and be very strong.

There’s no ‘small’ club coming down this season. 

The ‘reset’ is in the summer, and next season is transition into Wagners defined style and play. We’re back to a ‘5 year plan’ 

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think stop worrying about it. This season was always most likely to be a write off as soon as it was clear we were going to change direction mid-season.

Expect a mid-table finish, and if we do better then great. Take stock in the Summer to do better next year and see how things progress game-by-game for the rest of this season.

Jesus wept.... I agree with LYB......

I still think we are capable of sneaking into the play offs and IF we do that i can see us winning the whole thing and being promoted.

wrongly the prospect of that terrifies me, this squad would get alienated week in week out in the premier league. We’d effectively need  to buy a completely new starting 11. That would be impossible unless we had HUGE investment and even then I wouldn’t trust Webber to spend it.

Goes totally against the grain but I’d actually prefer us to reset the 5 year plan and give Wagner the time to gradually build a squad that are committed to the club and play in his style (in hope that may be more competitive in the premier league when (if) we get there….unlike Farkeball sadly)

My only expectation is that the players give their best to the cause. Belief and confidence can be fragile and not always there, but giving 100% goes a long way and will help turn results round.

Sometimes players lose the edge off their performance because things are going badly and they appear not to be giving their all, but that is the fight they all have - to overcome their own poor performances and be up for the challenge. No room for shrinking violets, they need to stand up and be counted.....

.......incidentally, that's why I'd put Hernandez in every week, the one player who always looks up for it, whatever the state of a match. 

• Like 1

This poll isn’t pessimistic enough-where’s the option for being relegated?

(BTW I voted for ‘Playoff winners’)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rock bus said:

I still think we are capable of sneaking into the play offs and IF we do that i can see us winning the whole thing and being promoted.

wrongly the prospect of that terrifies me, this squad would get alienated week in week out in the premier league. We’d effectively need  to buy a completely new starting 11. That would be impossible unless we had HUGE investment and even then I wouldn’t trust Webber to spend it.

Goes totally against the grain but I’d actually prefer us to reset the 5 year plan and give Wagner the time to gradually build a squad that are committed to the club and play in his style (in hope that may be more competitive in the premier league when (if) we get there….unlike Farkeball sadly)

I still believe we could sneak in to the playoffs but I can't see us winning it. Even under Farke we were flat track bullies. We were poor against the top teams but always beat the poorer teams. The problem this season is we are poor against the top teams but average against the poorer teams. 

12 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Just trying to gauge people’s expectations. Knowing what we know now etc. Mid table finish = avoid relegation option

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

My only expectation is that the players give their best to the cause. Belief and confidence can be fragile and not always there, but giving 100% goes a long way and will help turn results round.

Sometimes players lose the edge off their performance because things are going badly and they appear not to be giving their all, but that is the fight they all have - to overcome their own poor performances and be up for the challenge. No room for shrinking violets, they need to stand up and be counted.....

.......incidentally, that's why I'd put Hernandez in every week, the one player who always looks up for it, whatever the state of a match. 

So if the players do their best LDC, what do you think can be achieved this season realistically?

1 hour ago, Canary Jedi said:

So if the players do their best LDC, what do you think can be achieved this season realistically?

Top two is obviously too much to hope for, but if they pull their socks up, top six has to be the aim and then who knows. But they need to start winning right now to keep in touch with 6th place. Losing in the next two or three matches will see us drop down too far imo. 

Lets say we get promoted........... what then?   

How do we form a team that can be, at the very least, competitive in matches?   

How do we add to Aarons, Gunn and Omobamidele, the only 3 players we have ready to step up.... Teemu will be off regardless... no way he's going to risk a thankless shift up front with this squad.   Yes, that's just 3 players.... get real folks!   

Where is that kind of money coming from for all the replacements? 

Who is confident in this scouting set up, that they can find the players we need with our budget?

Does anyone really believe Wagner can turn any other players into Premier League quality.... 

How long before it gets so toxic, Wagner is hounded out?

Face facts, promotion at the moment is a fantasy without £300m or a miracle!    

Promotion can be achieved but we have to start again, just like when Farke arrived, but this time scouting and producing athletes with pace, power and some quality.   Will take a couple of years but likely longer if we keep chasing promotion at the expense of developing a team.

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 2

There's something to be said for getting into the play offs on the back of a late run of form.

2002 Wolves finished third after a long time in the top two. We finished sixth on the back of a late run of form.

What happened next...

💛💚🙃

• Like 2

Top ten is realistic. Maybe even optimistic, judging by the players' response to the last two games.

I'm just hoping to still retain my eyesight after looking into those new bloody floodlights all season.