Surprisingly Tim didn’t have that much to do today apart from giving me the ………….. when dealing with the back passes

Both v good keepers but Gunn edges it for me. Krull seems to dally too long in passing out from the back by which time the opposition have closed down on our defenders, forcing them to make dangerous passes.

Krul more commanding keeper and better shop stopper but his distribution is horrendous. It’s a close call but the authority of Krul is needed with our defence which can be very dopey.

Gunn for me. Krul has passed it to opposition strikers 3 times in 2 games. We've got away with it so far but we will be punished sooner or later.

I prefer Gunn, I think he is the better shot stopper, and the more competent with his feet.  The area Tim does have the edge is leadership, Tim has a great mindset, and to be honest I get why David chose Tim, and I would worry about the effect that has on Angus.  Opportunities for keepers to make the number one shirt their own are limited and Angus lost it without messing up after waiting a long time for the opportunity.  I suspect Angus will get on with it as he is a professional guy, but would not be surprised if he / his agent start looking for somewhere he can play regularly and be treated as Tim was treated at the start of the season.

Edited by Newtopia

Krul was dropped by Smith because he gifted Preston two goals, only one of which came from a dangerous pass out. It was the right decision and unless Gunn has been committing howlers in games I haven't seen (which is possible, but I haven't seen mention of any) then he should be back in goal.

Gunn was, statistically, the best goalkeeper in the Championship and one of the few (only?) bright aspects of the season under Smith. Dropping him was a strange decision and whilst we've won both matches, he still looks like he has a howler or two in him a game. He nearly cost us a goal early in the game and whilst both goals were tough to save owing to one being a scuff and the other it being difficult to tell which player was shooting, Krul completely failed to anticipate either correctly; I think Gunn does better with both of those goals, maybe even keeps one of them out.

Krul for me.

Better at organising those in front of him.

Gunn has everything he needs technically but needs more fire in his belly, to be more vocal. He's still stuck in long-term prospect mentality, but he's 26 now, this is his time and he needs to realise it. When he's got the mentality of a Number 1 rather than a Number 13 he'll surpass Krul and become a top top keeper.

Krul's got a winning mentality. more than makes up for his occasionally eratic decision making and odd dodgy kick. 

I want to see Gunn screaming at the players in front of him, needs a bit of that Pickford fire.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Thanks 1

Gunn is the better shot stopper and better with his feet, quite comfortably for both I’d say. Gunn also has age way on his side as well as his contract situation at the club.

We do however seem to play better as a team defensively with Krul in goal. But I’d like to see Gunn brought back in to see how he fairs with the new set up.

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Krul was dropped by Smith because he gifted Preston two goals, only one of which came from a dangerous pass out. It was the right decision and unless Gunn has been committing howlers in games I haven't seen (which is possible, but I haven't seen mention of any) then he should be back in goal.

When a new manager comes in they tend to say that every player has a clean slate, and if the manager then uses a performance prior to his tenure to make a judgement on that player or justifying a selection - like you are advocating - then he's immediately undermining that claim and it looks like empty words.

My interpretation of what happened was that he played the number 2 in the cup game to give him fitness/match time, a completely normal thing to do. Wagner then liked what he saw on the pitch in that game, as well as in training, and so stuck with him.

You can argue that Gunn didn't do anything to deserve being dropped, but you could argue the same for Krul after the Blackburn game couldn't you? As I said, completely normal to play your number 2 in the cup.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But I’d like to see Gunn brought back in to see how he fairs with the new set up.

Changing  a winning team?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Changing  a winning team?

I wouldn’t feel too bad about it. But apart from a few dodgy kicks there’s no real reason for Wagner to choose Gunn over Krul now so can’t see it, I think it will happen before the end of the season though

Wagner has gone for the more senior players so far. Gibbs could also consider himself unlucky as he was one of the few standout players under Smith, but that's the way it is.

• Like 2

For whatever reason 3 wins in 14 losing 8 with Gunn in goal, so Krul for me as again for whatever reason 9 wins in 17 for Krul only losing 4.

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

For whatever reason 3 wins in 14 losing 8 with Gunn in goal, so Krul for me as again for whatever reason 9 wins in 17 for Krul only losing 4.

And yet some feel those stats are completely irrelevant.

The reason is, Krul has a much greater presence, which impacts the team more positively than Gunn.

• Like 1

Krul's character is a big part of what has made us successful over the last few Championship seasons.

Gunn's time will doubtless come but I have no problem with Krul being number one.

Krul continues to drop clangers with his passing and was very lucky to get away with it today. I think Wagner will have no hesitation putting Gunn back in if these blunders continue especially if goals and points are a result thereof.

At least twice today he passed it to their players in or at the edge of the box. Fortunate that nothing came of it.

will be interesting to see if he keeps his place, I suppose Wagner has a week to work in it with him.

A solid, international goalkeeper with outstanding leadership or a keeper we signed just cos of who his dad is? 

Krul. The results pre-Gunn and post-Gunn speak for themselves.

26 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

A solid, international goalkeeper with outstanding leadership or a keeper we signed just cos of who his dad is? 

Krul. The results pre-Gunn and post-Gunn speak for themselves.

A bit unfair. Southampton didn't pay Manchester City £13.5m for him just because of his dad.

OK he failed to make an impact there, but he had previously had an excellent season at City (Farke's first?) on loan and prior to the Saint's signing.

There's nothing in it between him and Krul, imo, but it's the latter for me due to his experience and influence.

Gunn's time will come, and maybe soon, if Krul leaves.

Keepers have a longer career than the majority of outfield players. Gunn might then be a fixture as long as his father was.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

A bit unfair. Southampton didn't pay Manchester City £13.5m for him just because of his dad.

OK he failed to make an impact there, but he had previously had an excellent season at City (Farke's first?) on loan and prior to the Saint's signing.

There's nothing in it between him and Krul, imo, but it's the latter for me due to his experience and influence.

Gunn's time will come, and maybe soon, if Krul leaves.

Keepers have a longer career than the majority of outfield players. Gunn might then be a fixture as long as his father was.

Southampton soon sussed him out though, didn't they? 

I also thought he was bang average when he played for us in Farke's first season, and never felt confident with him in goal.

I'd hope Wagner is looking for another keeper if Krul leaves. We ship far too many goals and thus defeats when Gunn has played for us.