graz

Which Manager do you have fondest memories of?

As the title suggests. In my lifetime Ken Brown obvs, Mick Walker, Dave Stringer but honestly the one I I'm most fond of is Farke. Loved the fans and the club.

Loved Farke, but for me, it’s hard to look past the Brown/Stringer era. Genuinely competitive at the top level, winning a major trophy, FA Cup semi finals and top 6 finishes. Walker carried that on but I still believe the ‘89 side was probably our best; a Chris Sutton away from the double maybe.

And then theirs he who forever tarnished his reputation.

It WAS a special period under Lambert but perhaps he caught a perfect wave? Having Holt, Hoolahan, Martin etc in L1 was an embarrassment of riches at that level but of course he built on it. A squad that run through walls for him, pick themselves up and go again…and of course, he was a Champions League winner. A man that had played for huge clubs in huge games at the highest level. He even wrote a diary…

Anyway, some combination of Brown/Stringer/Farke would be my top3. Honourable mentions for Walker and Worthington and a dishonourable one for the brilliant but traitorous Lambert.

I expect Bond/Saunders might be more prominent for some but I’m only a (relative) young’un. 😉

• Like 4

Farke and Walker for me.  Ian Crook.  What a player he was.  Lambert was fun whilst it lasted but Farke and Walker just for the sheer quality of the football.

• Like 2

Special place for Lambert as mentioned above. Did wonders from league 1 and such a shame he ballsed up his reputation. I'm sure he regrets his choices just as much as we do.

5 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Loved Farke, but for me, it’s hard to look past the Brown/Stringer era. Genuinely competitive at the top level, winning a major trophy, FA Cup semi finals and top 6 finishes. Walker carried that on but I still believe the ‘89 side was probably our best; a Chris Sutton away from the double maybe.

And then theirs he who forever tarnished his reputation.

It WAS a special period under Lambert but perhaps he caught a perfect wave? Having Holt, Hoolahan, Martin etc in L1 was an embarrassment of riches at that level but of course he built on it. A squad that run through walls for him, pick themselves up and go again…and of course, he was a Champions League winner. A man that had played for huge clubs in huge games at the highest level. He even wrote a diary…

Anyway, some combination of Brown/Stringer/Farke would be my top3. Honourable mentions for Walker and Worthington and a dishonourable one for the brilliant but traitorous Lambert.

I expect Bond/Saunders might be more prominent for some but I’m only a (relative) young’un. 😉

Ron Saunders changed this club forever but Stringer is still my favourite. As you say he was one player away from winning the double but sadly Chase couldn't find the money for Mike Newell. 

In my time (started supporting/going in 97 at 4yo) so.... 

Worthington, Lambert, Neil, Farke.. and not just because they all brought promotions. 

It's because they all brought something extra to the club at the exact right time and without these appointments at those precise times, who knows where we would have been right now. 

• Like 1

Difficult question but John Bond takes a lot of beating. He seemed to drag the club out years of being in the the doldrums after Lol Morgan, then Saunders' attrition football - and turn it into a sparkling and attractive footballing club. Such a positive force - and his then sidekick Brown follows as a close second and brought us cup success.

Stringer who has always had my utmost respect as a player and manager too.

People might expect me to put Farke up there as favourite and yes, he was superb, but something about the Bond era stays with me - probably because he set a tone at the club that changed it forever.  Charismatic, larger than life, attacking football, was able to attract some brilliant players to the club - McDougall/Boyer/Peters to name three - success on the pitch - he was simply a one man tour de force.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Lambert gave us all hope.. Just a shame I cant quite say I'm fond of him now given how much of a **** he ended up being. I think most would proabably answer Farke

If we can forgive Andy marshall, we can forgive PL....... Eventually 

Lambert for me, although obviously not as a person.

Took us from our lowest low in my lifetime to a midtable Premier League team, all with a squad of scrappy, relatable players.

Worthington second as I was 13 when he took over and that playoff run, the title season and even the Premier League season were full of memorable moments. 

Farke third- clearly great but I'd given up my season ticket by that point so don't have quite the connection.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Took us from our lowest low in my lifetime to a midtable Premier League team, all with a squad of scrappy, relatable players.

Worthington second as I was 13 when he took over and that playoff run, the title season and even the Premier League season were full of memorable moments. 

Farke third- clearly great but I'd given up my season ticket by that point so don't have quite the connection.

Was far more went on behind the scenes than what has come out. Lambert and McNally had a rather big falling out shall we say. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Other than moving Farke up one place, I'd fully agree with this. I wasn't paying that much attention during the heyday of Stringer/Walker so these eras are mine too.

Lambert, it was when I went to the most games and remember how good it felt turning the club around after the opening day disaster in League One, totally storming the League, going to away games when we were winning by 3 or 4 goals all the time, stuffing the Scum TWICE in the same season, winning the Championship and then staying up! Great times.

Obviously the guy is a complete tool now but in terms of my memories of him, all positive.

• Like 2

TBH that run of Saunders, Bond, Brown then Stringer was probably, for any club, such a strong run of managers. 20 years of seeing the club go from strength to strength. Even when we had the three one season relegations we came back stronger. By the time Walker arrived perhaps I was becoming blasé but he never excited me in the same way despite the trip to Europe (we would have been there three seasons in the 80's if it wasn't for Heyschel remember), then we went on such a poor run of managers.

By the time of Lambert, I just wanted to see the club restored to its late 80's / early 90's position. We have never quite achieved that, so while Lambert and Farke were good, the short period of time of their tenure and the failure to consolidate our position, means they don't quite compare to that earlier run. 

Norwich manager-Mike Walker. Simply because I attended more matches under him than under any other manager, and we had a fantastic side.

All-time manager-Graham Taylor. Standing on the terraces of my home town club aged 13, in a rundown stadium with a still operational greyhound track surrounding the pitch, watching the team rise from Division 4 to Division 1 in 5 seasons under the joint stewardship of Taylor and chairman Elton John, upsetting a few of the bigger clubs on the way up with a few cup runs too, and having a laugh with schoolmates in our teenage years-what a great time to be alive.

He was an intelligent and lovely man, and I'm not ashamed to say that I was fighting back the tears when I stood in the crowd outside the church to show my respect for him at his funeral, 6 years ago next month.

• Like 1

Roeder and Hughton for me.

They made it much easier to rationalise my life's disappointments. 

• Haha 2

Too tough - Stringer, Walker, and Farke got me going.  Not sure why but felt quite detached when Lambert was in charge.  

Brown for the great days when I first went with Duncan.

Worthy for the great days when I first went with Helen.

Neil and Farke for the great days with the grandkids.

💛💚

• Like 2

I loved Bond and have a special place in my heart for Ron but  hard to argue with Duncan Edwards . Under Brown , Stringer and Walker we genuinely competed. We assembled a team of players many of whom went on to bigger and better things who (with the exception of Townsend) acknowledged the part we played in their development . 

I collect programmes and when I look through those times we played the top sides , with top players and the gulf was nowhere near  what it is now. I know times change but these managers were brilliant for us . 

As for pure style of play , Farke is right up there  . With hindsight we destroyed the championship twice which is no mean feat . 

Lambert was a dïckhead and blew away any fond memories . It was an extraordinary decision to even go to the Binners but the way he conducted himself (and of course his pathetic record on the pitch) means he should hang his head in shame . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

Ken Brown, we were on a coach travelling back to Thetford from a cold wet midweek game at Grimsby and we'd stopped for a quick pint in Lincolnshire somewhere and in walked Ken Brown. He'd arranged to collect a couple of crates of beer for the players on the route home, he had a quick chat to us, thank us for our support and then left. The landlord then announced that he'd left a tab and we could have what we liked until the pub closed. Top bloke.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Ken Brown, we were on a coach travelling back to Thetford from a cold wet midweek game at Grimsby and we'd stopped for a quick pint in Lincolnshire somewhere and in walked Ken Brown. He'd arranged to collect a couple of crates of beer for the players on the route home, he had a quick chat to us, thank us for our support and then left. The landlord then announced that he'd left a tab and we could have what we liked until the pub closed. Top bloke.

I wonder how many of us can be bribed with a pint or two? 🤔😉🍻

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

A man that had played for huge clubs in huge games at the highest level.

Really? He should have mentioned it

• Haha 1

Have to be brown, stringer and walker for me. To win at Liverpool and man United in 88/89 was special. 8 points clear at Christmas in the first premier league season. If only we hadnt lost to United at home the week after beating villa who knows what the following seasons would have held. 

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

By the time of Lambert, I just wanted to see the club restored to its late 80's / early 90's position. We have never quite achieved that, so while Lambert and Farke were good, the short period of time of their tenure and the failure to consolidate our position, means they don't quite compare to that earlier run. 

Think it's only fair to say that by Lambert's time it was far more difficult for a club of our size to compete in the top division. His achievement in keeping that team up was not too far behind Walker et al in my view. Just so sad how swiftly it all fell apart.

I saw a bit of the 1989 team but in all honesty was probably too young to appreciate how good they were. I think those arguing they shaded the 92-94 team could well be right. But I think I'd have to put the Walker era first. Just before the end of Walker's time I saw us play Spurs off the park at White Hart Lane. We won 3-1 simply because we were a much better team than them. I think there's an argument for saying that in August-December 1993 we were the second best team in the country, behind a Man Utd side who won the double. Just so sad how swiftly it all fell apart.

All that having been said, probably the happiest I've ever been as a Norwich fan was that 7-0 win over Huddersfield. We were laughably good that day. Loved that Farke team so much. Just so sad how swiftly it all fell apart.