Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

What do we do with Nunez

It's a strange one. He was brilliant for the first four/six weeks, and looked genuinely too good for the Championship. He's been poor since, and seems to have lost all the confidence he had at the start when he was playing quick, intricate passes instinctively with freedom. 

I'd give him a run in the team to build his confidence and sharpness, because we've all seen that there's a player in there.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Game by passed him completely, a few nice touches but caught in possession, not sure what his best position is ?

A real shame.

Having seen him at Hull earlier in the season, he looked the real deal. Maybe he just needs more game time?

Sara was excellent in the 2nd half.  All players need better coaching to release their potential (assuming they have any!!)

Curious player. 

I think he was a signing to play 4-3-3, and is most comfortable on the right side of a midfield 3. Most systems throughout football have ditched the number 10, and the position is almost antiquated. So he won’t play there. Unlike Dowel he’s not so much of a selection headache. He could play in a double pivot alongside a destroyer in a 4-2-3-1, one to do the tacking and Nunez to progress the ball. I think he’s underrated at recovering the ball also. 

He’s an 8, not quite a 6 or 10, he’s skilful but not to the point that his size is overshadowed. Under the right manager we could see the best of him, or he’ll be surplus. It’s easy to see how he could thrive and easy to see why a new manager would prefer something else. 

I think he’s best in the half-space/inside channel. He looks most dangerous when he can find space around the corner of the box, where he’s very aggressive in looking for a shot or pass.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's a strange one. He was brilliant for the first four/six weeks, and looked genuinely too good for the Championship. He's been poor since, and seems to have lost all the confidence he had at the start when he was playing quick, intricate passes instinctively with freedom. 

I'd give him a run in the team to build his confidence and sharpness, because we've all seen that there's a player in there.

Agreed - this was painfully obvious last night and I feel so sorry for him. He was sublime in the early days and then as the team drifted off so did he. From memory he then had an injury and I was hoping he would come back refreshed but his mind is still stuck in the dark days of October and November. He did show a couple of nice passes in the second half but mostly his touch was miles off and he looked drained of self belief. He is a talent but he needs support and encouragement from everyone - his team mates, coaching staff and above all us the fans. He just needs something to fall for him and he'll be back running.  

I really think he could grow into the Buendia role on the right of the 4-2-3-1 or at number 10. All the players need time on the pitch in a consistent formation. All the chopping and changing and persevering with the 4-3-3 has destroyed the cohesion and it will take a while to get it back.

• Like 3

Give him a chance! 

First season, new country, new league, has been injured.......we know he can play - just give him time and he will flourish under a good manager and a team that has a bit more confidence.

• Like 6

Nunez and Sara are clearly both good players but look completely lost. As we know, it's a team game - they don't fit at the moment. A new coach will have more chance of fitting them in but it will take time.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Give him a chance! 

First season, new country, new league, has been injured.......we know he can play - just give him time and he will flourish under a good manager and a team that has a bit more confidence.

The impatience from fans is incredible. He’s 22 coming from a totally different culture and league where he had already played half a season there. It’s not like we paid 20m for him either

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, YellowSubmarine said:

The impatience from fans is incredible. He’s 22 coming from a totally different culture and league where he had already played half a season there. It’s not like we paid 20m for him either

Reminds me a little of the snap-calls from fans that Vrancic was nothing more than a League One midfielder...and he was older & more experienced!

I do think Nunez needs to be higher up the pitch and if it's on the right of a 4-2-3-1 or a number 10 i'm not sure, but whilst he works incredibly hard he gets bypassed when there's 6ft 4 midfielders powering past him.

Thought Sara had his best game for us last night. Strange how we all see players performances differently. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, YellowSubmarine said:

So we bought him for the future? Who were we planning on getting us promoted then?

31 minutes ago, YellowSubmarine said:

Plus why would you get rid of him and/or Sara when a new manager is imminent? From what I've seen so far they are both talented lads, just need to get the team playing with a bit of consistency and a bit of belief.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

So we bought him for the future? Who were we planning on getting us promoted then?

Do we not buy all our players for the future? 

• Thanks 1

The main reason I turned against Smith was the sense that none of our players were improving. Feel like Núñez was almost the emblem of this. He arrived all smiles and lovely touches, scored that brilliant free-kick and that panenka penalty, and then over the next few months seemed to have all the joy sucked out of him. I would absolutely not be giving up on him, or Sara. Will be interesting to see what a new coach can get out of them. On a similar note, though the formation seemed bonkers to me last night, at least it got pretty much all our best attacking players on the pitch. I'd really like to see the two South Americans, Pukki, Sarge and Idah play as much as possible. Doubt all will start every week, but let's get them on the pitch.

• Like 1

As mentioned his best role is suited to that played by Buendia. I really feel Nunez and Aarons could form a decent partnership down that side. His stamina is good, he'd be able to track back when needed and he could feed Aarons onto his overlapping runs (now he has permission to pass the half-way line) or he cut inside to find Pukki, ala Buendia. 

To compensate this, play Mclean on the left with Mccallum to help the later out defensively and also give us an aerial outball. Mclean has already shown he is competent as a left-back, and can also often find Pukki's runs. 

It's who you play in the middle of the park which is the issue for us...

Just now, Bovril said:

play Mclean on the left with Mccallum

or Dimi, who seems to have become a whipping-boy for successive managers (and didn't even make the bench under the caretakers). Hope that the new guy gives him an extended run.

41 minutes ago, daisy said:

Thought Sara had his best game for us last night. Strange how we all see players performances differently. 

I agree, I posted a thread on it!

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Second rate South Americans. We did well with second rate Germans. Maybe that is the difference.

Some of the 'second rate' players Farke signed were called 4th rate on here the first season they played. It takes time to adjust. Maybe that's the difference 🙃

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

or Dimi, who seems to have become a whipping-boy for successive managers (and didn't even make the bench under the caretakers). Hope that the new guy gives him an extended run.

Problem with Dimi is he gets a chance and is almost immediately individually responsible for conceding a goal.

3 minutes ago, Bovril said:

As mentioned his best role is suited to that played by Buendia. I really feel Nunez and Aarons could form a decent partnership down that side. His stamina is good, he'd be able to track back when needed and he could feed Aarons onto his overlapping runs (now he has permission to pass the half-way line) or he cut inside to find Pukki, ala Buendia. 

To compensate this, play Mclean on the left with Mccallum to help the later out defensively and also give us an aerial outball. Mclean has already shown he is competent as a left-back, and can also often find Pukki's runs. 

It's who you play in the middle of the park which is the issue for us...

Ah! Those overlapping runs of Aarons……..that come to……..nothing………99% of the time…….

just like those twisting…turning…..mazy runs of Hernandez….that come to…….nothing…..99% of the time….

Our supply from the flanks this season has been embarrassing, which suggests the coaching has been nothing short of woeful.

Personally I see Nunez playing centrally in a 3 as part of a 4 2 3 1.  He is the one to produce those cute little passes, after that wide in a midfield 3 in a 4 3 3.  I think it is harsh to describe Nunez as a second rate South American, he is a full international for Chile.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Nunez and Sara are clearly both good players but look completely lost. As we know, it's a team game - they don't fit at the moment. A new coach will have more chance of fitting them in but it will take time.

I thought Sara played well last night and the looked like the midfielder most likely to make something happen. Preferred him in the slightly deeper role rather than at 10.