Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

What do we do with Nunez

14 minutes ago, Bovril said:

As mentioned his best role is suited to that played by Buendia. I really feel Nunez and Aarons could form a decent partnership down that side. His stamina is good, he'd be able to track back when needed and he could feed Aarons onto his overlapping runs (now he has permission to pass the half-way line) or he cut inside to find Pukki, ala Buendia. 

To compensate this, play Mclean on the left with Mccallum to help the later out defensively and also give us an aerial outball. Mclean has already shown he is competent as a left-back, and can also often find Pukki's runs. 

It's who you play in the middle of the park which is the issue for us...

I agree with this and think it would work well.

For what it’s worth I’d play Gibbs/Hayden alongside Sarr in middle for most games but for toughest games Gibbs with Hayden.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Some of the 'second rate' players Farke signed were called 4th rate on here the first season they played. It takes time to adjust. Maybe that's the difference 🙃

But the goal was to get straight back up. If not, why sack DF?

I think that Nunez isn't match fit, he hasn't been a regular starter for quite a few weeks, with being injured & Smith not starting him when he wasn't injured. We hear of foreign players trying to adapt to a new club/country & language, I think Nunez & Sara need to be given a lot more time. Hopefully they will both keep improving & become mainstays in our midfield for many seasons. 

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Problem with Dimi is he gets a chance and is almost immediately individually responsible for conceding a goal.

He certainly doesn't make it easy for his coaches! But he does seem to be immediately canned when he does make a mistake. Farke taking him off at HT at Man City and throwing Bali to the wolves is the example that springs to mind. Overall I think he's worth persevering with despite errors 

Nunez played like someone who hasn't had much game time recently. Sara did pretty well, with some nice passes. Both show signs of huge potential so I'm amazed why someone on here wants to sell them after barely half a season FFS!

Nunez needs to go looking for the ball more if he wants to nail down a creative AM role. 

Not sure I'd want Kenny at DM every game so either Gibbs or Hayden need to start, but if KM takes another slot it pretty leaves Sara and Nunez to compete for that last place. A lot will come down to the new manager's style of play.

• Like 2

He'll be fine in a side that is coached in possession, we basically bypassed the midfield last night when trying to get it forward. There was one moment where he shot instead of sliding Pukki in but apart from that he didn't really get the chance to do anything.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Nunez played like someone who hasn't had much game time recently. Sara did pretty well, with some nice passes. Both show signs of huge potential so I'm amazed why someone on here wants to sell them after barely half a season FFS!

Nunez needs to go looking for the ball more if he wants to nail down a creative AM role. 

Not sure I'd want Kenny at DM every game so either Gibbs or Hayden need to start, but if KM takes another slot it pretty leaves Sara and Nunez to compete for that last place. A lot will come down to the new manager's style of play.

But aren't we now saying that passing the ball to a teammate makes a player good or special. Swansea passed the ball to a teammate most of the time. Its what they are supposed to do. The better teams and players do it quickly.

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But aren't we now saying that passing the ball to a teammate makes a player good or special. Swansea passed the ball to a teammate most of the time. Its what they are supposed to do. The better teams and players do it quickly.

That's all a result of coaching. Our players are more than capable of doing what Swansea do but they haven't been coached to do so.

• Like 1

Remember this thread when Nunez is being sold for mega money. He's quality, just needs time to settle, the backing of a manager, confidence and to play week in week out.

If Farke had been his manager we'd be talking about him as a superstar.

22 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Buendia could put in a tackle - not something Nunez seemed capable of last night …..

I would actually instruct Nunez to man mark. He has quick feet if he turns over the ball. He looks lost in his current positioning, 2 yards of the opposition. 

4 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed - this was painfully obvious last night and I feel so sorry for him. He was sublime in the early days and then as the team drifted off so did he. From memory he then had an injury and I was hoping he would come back refreshed but his mind is still stuck in the dark days of October and November. He did show a couple of nice passes in the second half but mostly his touch was miles off and he looked drained of self belief. He is a talent but he needs support and encouragement from everyone - his team mates, coaching staff and above all us the fans. He just needs something to fall for him and he'll be back running.  

There was an old manager Deano

Whose coaching came straight from the Beano

Soon Max was depressed

And Teemu regressed

And then he destroyed Marcellino

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

He hasn’t played a great deal of minutes for a long period of time, because of Smith.

He needs to be given time to get up to speed, did play a great through ball to Sargent second half who should have scored.

1 minute ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Perhaps the whole team needs a bit of confidence following an inept manager...

Didn't really look like an epiphany last night though.

6 hours ago, Petriix said:

I really think he could grow into the Buendia role on the right of the 4-2-3-1 or at number 10. All the players need time on the pitch in a consistent formation. All the chopping and changing and persevering with the 4-3-3 has destroyed the cohesion and it will take a while to get it back.

I think I said something similar a while back about playing him on the right of a 4-2-3-1 - would offer more creativity and should be more comfortable than Sargent with the defensive side of things as well.  But I suspect we'll continue to try and shoehorn Josh and Teemu in anyway.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

It wasn't going to be.

3 days does not undo 300+.

It was a marked improvement last night 

• Like 1

I think the same issue applies equally to both Nunez and Sara - consistency. Not just game to game but minute to minute. Both are capable of playing a lovely through-ball but too often follow it up by giving the ball away easily to the opposition or over-hitting a pass out of play. Lots of potential there, just need to do the good things more often.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

But the goal was to get straight back up. If not, why sack DF?

When Farke was sacked the goal was to continually build the club and stay up. We didn't. So the goal now is to continue to build the club and get promoted. Trouble is that goal isn't in ASDA next to the Instant Whips. (My favourite was butterscotch).

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Nope, but wait till Jan 6!

He needs a clear structure and tactical framework to play within, something we've not had all season. I have a feeling he'd have loved playing under Farke.

40 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

When Farke was sacked the goal was to continually build the club and stay up. We didn't. So the goal now is to continue to build the club and get promoted. Trouble is that goal isn't in ASDA next to the Instant Whips. (My favourite was butterscotch).

I think when DF was sacked, staying up was preferred to building.

8 hours ago, YellowSubmarine said:

Do we not buy all our players for the future? 

I don’t care if they have any future as long as they smile at the fans!

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

There was an old manager Deano

Whose coaching came straight from the Beano

Soon Max was depressed

And Teemu regressed

And then he destroyed Marcellino

A head coach who went by Dean Smith

Took a job here but just didn't fit

We got relegated

Mid-table awaited

Because our midfield was horse-shít

His helper was called Craig Shakespeare