Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Starting XI & formation for Friday

Ok, so you're caretaker manager with a free hand, that has no consequences for your current job.

Who do you select? And what formation?

Just now, Pyro Pete said:

Ok, so you're caretaker manager with a free hand, that has no consequences for your current job.

Who do you select? And what formation?

Gunn

AO Hanley Gibson

Aarons Cantwell Nunez Gibbs McClean

Pukki Sargent

I didn't think Sarge played to well against Luton but deserves another chance as part of a two.

Dimi was hopeless so dropped. Sara hasn't got a clue at times so Nunez can come in. And if fit, Todd should have another chance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Gunn

AO Hanley Gibson

Aarons Cantwell Nunez Gibbs McClean

Pukki Sargent

I didn't think Sarge played to well against Luton but deserves another chance as part of a two.

Dimi was hopeless so dropped. Sara hasn't got a clue at times so Nunez can come in. And if fit, Todd should have another chance.

The only change I would make is Tomkinson in for Gibson, he might be young, but I was impressed with his performance earlier on this season.

• Like 2

Gunn
Aarons, Omobamidele, Hanley, Giannoulis
Nunez, Gibbs
Sara, Dowell, Cantwell
Pukki

Sargent on for Pukki on the hour.

Also, doing this you realise just how many players are currently out of form.

Edited by Pyro Pete
  • Like 1

Just now, Pyro Pete said:

Gunn

Aarons, Omobamidele, Hanley, Giannoulis
Nunez, Gibbs
Sara, Dowell, Cantwell
Pukki

Sargent on for Pukki on the hour.

Also, doing this you realise just how many players are currently out of form.

I think this is what I'd do. Though I'd consider Hayden for one of the CM positions, not sure which one though.

Pukki and Sargent are great, but if they can't both fit into our best formation, one has to sit, and Pukki is better for me.

• Like 1

Gunn

Aarons Hanley Gibson Dimi

Gibbs Hayden

Nunez     Sara      Dowell

Pukki

Pukki starts because he has the form, Omo looked rusty. Apart from that a mix of legs / technical ability in an actual midfield. Between the 3 attacking midfielders we should be able to cobble together at least 1 reasonable set piece taker.

4-2-3-1 PLEASE 

Krul

Aarons | Hanley | Omobamidele | Dimi 

Gibbs | Nunēz

Dowell | Pukki | Sara 

Sargent 

Whatever the formation, we need to have two of our most creative talents in the midfield. Otherwise formation is almost irrelevant 

4-4-2

Gunn

Hanley, Omo at CB. 

Gibbs, McLean as a double pivot. 

Aarons and Giannoulis as wide and high wing backs. 

Sara, Nunez in the half spaces. 

Pukki, Sargent. 

Attacking, come out swinging with the crowd behind them, sorry, US, width provided by wing backs. 
South American flair in the inside channels, where WE can s’ping at goal all day. Also, try and thread Pukki and Sarge. 

My pressing triggers and patterns of play are too data driven for this forum. Just, all I’ll say is this: get out of your seats when we’re in zone 14, yeah, and expect to expect expected goals; X2XXG

Pre-game presser: “Feel free to boo me, and call for my head, but if we win we’re all going to the bowling alley, and the half-shandies are on me!”

Post game: “I’m sorry.” 

Edited by Mr. Raumdeuter III
Spelling
  • Like 1

4-2-3-1

Gunn

Aarons, Ombamadiele, Hanley, Giannoulis

Hayden, McClean

Dowell, Nunez, Sarge

Pukki

subs:

krul, Gibson, Gibbs, Sara, Hernandez, Idah, Cantwell

4 - 2 - 3 - 1

GK. Krul

LB. Giannoulis 

CB. Hanley

CB. Omo

RB. Aarons

CM. Gibbs

CM. Cantwell

LAM. Hernandez

AM. Nunez

AMR.  Sargent 

ST. Pukki

Subs: Gunn, McCallum, Gibson, Hayden, McLean, Sara, Idah

4-2-3-1

Gunn

Aarons Omo Gibson McCallum

Gibbs Hayden

Pukki Sara Cantwell

Sargent

(Or Nunez in for Sara and switched with Pukki.  Either way Pukki free to join Sarge from deeper as often as possible.)

Subs: Krul, Hanley, Dowell, McClean, Giannoulis, Idah, Nunez / Sara.

Although as Canaryking has pointed out Carroll does pose a particular problem and it may be that we need to sacrifice Gibson's quicker and better distribution as Hanley may be better placed to deal with that than Gibson.  But personally I'd go with Gibson and trust that we can play on the front foot a bit more.

I suspect it will be a conservative decision in terms of who makes the cut and what the formation is. I just hope it isn't 4-3-3 with Sargent on the wing. I'd be happy with any reasonable 4-2-3-1.

• Like 1

I think regardless of formation or line-up, I'm just more looking forward to seeing any difference in the actual style of play.

We should never have been in a position where the academy director and set piece coach were taking charge of a first team match

Webber clearly should have acted after the Boro game giving himself a week / 2 weeks to appoint a new man....and that new man then having 2 or 3 weekd with the squad.

Valuable time wasted by Webber.

32 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think regardless of formation or line-up, I'm just more looking forward to seeing any difference in the actual style of play.

This. Think the players body language will be something to keep an eye on. Prior to kickoff last match the club posted a video of the players arriving and I pointed out at the tme not a single one of them was smiling and they all looked upset and annoyed. Wonder if it will be any different tommorow?

• Like 1

A lot of you select Cantwell. Do you honestly believe he is not fit? has not played for a long time so has not got injured, Transfer window opens Sunday, he wants out, we want what money we can get, can't risk him getting injured, ergo:- let's not play him and risk injury. 

• Like 1

It's a little depressing seeing the number of people who want to play Dowell and/or Sargent out wide. Dowell is far too slow to cover the ground required - he either plays at 10 or not at all. Sargent is basically wasted out there - he either plays up front or not at all. I'd be playing Nunez or Sara on the right.

Hopefully someone has found the cupboard they locked Cantwell in and let him out. 

I'm also fairly surprised at how many people are picking Hayden given how poor/unfit he's been. Kenny is fine as part of a double pivot. He played there for most of our two titles under Farke.

The main thing we need to do is stop the rot of conceding soft goals. So emulating the QPR game where we drew 0-0 wouldn't be terrible. A solid 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 would be my preference. 

• Like 2

4-4-2!

Rudd
Whittaker Martin (c) Gibson Stiepermann
Snodgrass McLean Fotheringham Dorrans
           van Wolfswinkel Hugill

Okay, just kidding. 4-2-2-2.

Gunn
Aarons Omobamidele Hanley Giannoulis
                        McLean Gibbs
                       Nunez Cantwell
                        Pukki Sargent

But with one of the front two intermittently dropping back into attacking midfield to mix things up. So 4-2-2-2 interspersed with 4-2-3-1, essentially. Then, when we're 2-0 up, get Onel on for Nunez/Cantwell and Hayden on for Pukki/Sargent, and switch to a deep-lying, counter-attacking 4-5-1. We sneak another on the break towards the end, win 3-0, and I get the job permanently.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's a little depressing seeing the number of people who want to play Dowell and/or Sargent out wide. Dowell is far too slow to cover the ground required - he either plays at 10 or not at all. Sargent is basically wasted out there - he either plays up front or not at all. I'd be playing Nunez or Sara on the right.

Hopefully someone has found the cupboard they locked Cantwell in and let him out. 

I'm also fairly surprised at how many people are picking Hayden given how poor/unfit he's been. Kenny is fine as part of a double pivot. He played there for most of our two titles under Farke.

The main thing we need to do is stop the rot of conceding soft goals. So emulating the QPR game where we drew 0-0 wouldn't be terrible. A solid 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 would be my preference. 

Agree, and I did the same. Both quality operators at this level, and I guess that’s one of the first problems for the new manager - Find a systems that allows us to have players like Dowell and Nunez involved, and Pukki and Sargent. I mean just mentioning those 4, they’re weapons at this level if played correctly!

I will add though, I’m not looking for width from the 3 behind Pukki. I’d be looking at them playing tight and centrally, interchanging positions. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 1