CANARYKING

Queen’s funeral

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

just seen this. So youre in the middle of your holiday and have to book another night elsewhere! 

Appreciate their staff should have the time / facility to watch the days events, but im sure they could do that without closing the place.

A good few years ago now, but the last time I went to Center Parcs (Elveden) it was full of Ipswich fans!

It's a bit last minute though for customers to make alternative arrangements.

This is an invision forum. It’s a generic forum template and the search functions and data you can get from it is actually pretty good. Much more stable than the last iteration of the pinkun

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

just seen this. So youre in the middle of your holiday and have to book another night elsewhere! 

Appreciate their staff should have the time / facility to watch the days events, but im sure they could do that without closing the place.

Looks like they've realised what a almighty sh!t show they've created and now no-one will have to move somewhere else but the facilities will be closed and 'long stay' customers will be compensated.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Looks like they've realised what a almighty sh!t show they've created and now no-one will have to move somewhere else but the facilities will be closed and 'long stay' customers will be compensated.

That makes more sense. 

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

this one has also made me laugh

Is that supposed to be funny 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/13/king-charles-staff-given-redundancy-notice-during-church-service-for-queen

Up to 100 employees at the King’s former official residence, including some who have worked there for decades, received notification that they could lose their jobs just as they were working round the clock to smooth his elevation to the throne.

Private secretaries, the finance office, the communications team and household staff are among those who received notice during the thanksgiving service for the Queen, at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday, that their posts were on the line.

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

So they are closing a holiday complex for a bank holiday???

38 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

That makes more sense. 

They're a rip off bunch of conts, their prices drop by half as soon as school holidays end. Ferkem. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

They're a rip off bunch of conts, their prices drop by half as soon as school holidays end. Ferkem. 

Don't all holiday resorts do that though? 

Some of the scenes have been incredible tonight. Literally multi-lane carriageways with parked cars in several lanes, drivers and passengers out, watching the convoy pass. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

10 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Don't all holiday resorts do that though? 

Prices rise when demand goes up. Fancy that. And Centre Parks have now backed down. Perhaps they should do that with the wooden box the queen is in. Stick the view charge up to £100 to work past it and it will soon decrease the demand. I'm sure it will be an extra few quid as well. Save them having to use gofundme.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNonYcVN/

Better than the idiots there. 

BBC report it as follows. 

BBC Sport's chief football writer Phil McNulty reported that the vast majority of Liverpool supporters at a capacity Anfield observed a shorter period of silence impeccably, with one or two rogue shouts at the start of the tribute quickly shouted down before their fixture against Ajax.

40 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Some of the scenes have been incredible tonight. Literally multi-lane carriageways with parked cars in several lanes, drivers and passengers out, watching the convoy pass. 

Incredible is one way of putting it. The Idol worship aspect of the last few days has been pretty revolting in my opinion. 

In theory I understand both sides of the royalist vs republican debate and don't have any particularly strong feelings either way. I suppose I'm missing the emotional aspect that the royalist contingent are feeling right now.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and the royals are just Kardashians for people that like to look down on people that like the Kardashians. 

5 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and the royals are just Kardashians for people that like to look down on people that like the Kardashians

Brilliantly put. Make no one your idol.

• Thanks 1

Human history is littered with people anthropomorphising forces and ideas. Gods of wind, fire, death, love, litter many mythologies that evolved indepently of each other. 

Abstract ideas are the most difficult to deal with, but they're important. People have been talking about climate change for decades and the threat it represents for decades, but little has happened because it's possible to grasp the concept, but difficult to really believe in it without actual tangible evidence of it; some have been very successful in convincing people there's nothing to it at all.

Nations are similar in that they are abstract ideas that represent administrations, systems, and communities on a scale that is possible to comprehend, but not really grasp. As with the other abstract ideas, I think there's a tendency to want to boil that down to core symbols. As I touched on elsewhere, most dictators do seek to build cults of personality around themselves and seek to make the idea of them as an individual synonymous with the country if not convince people that they are the country. 

This is what she has been to me my entire life: a symbol of the country on the world stage alongside the flag and the anthem. She has been an actress all her life, seeking to play a public character that is whatever happens to be what works best for the country as the country has changed with increasing speed. As such, she has also served as an anchor of constancy in the face of phenomenal change. 

There's nothing wrong with idols; they're just representations of ideas that people value. People who believe in religions have their Gods, people who believe in Communism have Karl Marx. The problem with idols is not the idols themselves but how others might use those idols to manipulate others to their own ends. 

You can manipulate and interpret the stories and ideas of God, Allah, Mohammad, Jesus, Karl Marx, to whatever ends you seek to pursue. When the Queen spoke though, she was speaking for herself and there was no question of what she was saying. And that had tremendous value. Her visit to Ireland in 2011 and her words expressing the regret over what our country has done to Ireland carried far more weight in healing rifts than those of any politicians could have ever hoped to have done, because when she spoke, in a way it really was a reflection of an idea of the country itself that was speaking. 

Finally, the comparison to the Kardashians made me chuckle, because that sort of entertainment, and celebrity in general, does tune into the same instincts that the idea of monarchy plays on. Where I'd say it doesn't hold up is that the whole purpose of the Kardashians is to promote the interests of the Kardashians, whereas the purpose of the Royal Family is to promote the interests of the country. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Where I'd say it doesn't hold up is that the whole purpose of the Kardashians is to promote the interests of the Kardashians, whereas the purpose of the Royal Family is to promote the interests of the country. 

Most of that I can agree with - interesting comparison to Japan where they do indeed blindly deify the Emperor (same as is going on here it seems).

However - without a doubt the 'purpose of the Monarchy' as in any family is to promote the continuation of the monarchy - the 'family firm' first.

10 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Incredible is one way of putting it. The Idol worship aspect of the last few days has been pretty revolting in my opinion. 

In theory I understand both sides of the royalist vs republican debate and don't have any particularly strong feelings either way. I suppose I'm missing the emotional aspect that the royalist contingent are feeling right now.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and the royals are just Kardashians for people that like to look down on people that like the Kardashians. 

Is this about the "Royal family" or about Queen Elizabeth II, because you seem to want to make it about the Royal Family, but it is about the death of Queen Elizabeth II. 

I can't imagine there would be this level of outpouring for Prince Edward.

The Queen flew to Belfast to shake hands with the people who assassinated her own cousin in order to try and help broker peace in part of her realm. Kim Kardashian leaked her own sex tape to become famous.

The Queen served in World War II, as an auto mechanic and truck driver, and insisted on driving the Saudi King herself when he visited the country, apparently putting he frighteners on him by driving fast down country roads. What a great political statement. Kim Kardashian once accepted a $1m fee to go on a date with a Saudi. 

There is a lot to be admired about the Queen as a person, even for those who are Republican and don't believe in the system that she represented, such as I, I don't see how the two have to be mutually exclusive. 

Beyond that, conflating the Queen and Kim Kardashian is a bit silly because there is absolutely no reason to think that Kardashian fans are any more or less likely to fawn over the Royal Family, and if anything I'd hazard a guess that your typical Republican is less likely to enjoy reality trashy TV than your typical member of the general public.

I personally think, as a Republican, that it is somewhat offensive to compare Queen Elizabeth II, a war veteran who was thrust into an incredibly high pressure job that she wasn't expecting to have to do,  with somebody who makes a living sticking their fat ar*se on the front of magazine covers.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Most of that I can agree with - interesting comparison to Japan where they do indeed blindly deify the Emperor (same as is going on here it seems).

However - without a doubt the 'purpose of the Monarchy' as in any family is to promote the continuation of the monarchy - the 'family firm' first.

'Family firm'; that needs breaking down.

BMW, Bombardier, Patak's pastes and others are family firms. Their activities sustain the families in question, but they're not the purpose of the family firm as far as what they do is concerned.

It's also the case that all of those family firms need to think about their product and what they need to do to keep their products competitive and relevant. The royal family has also done this over the years with how they have gone about fulfilling their role.

However, in all of those cases, if the family firm goes bust, the families will still remain independently wealthy. This is even more true for the royal family.

Harry 'stepping out' of royal life gives us a taste of what the Windsors might be post-monarchy. In spite of giving up public duties, he and Meghan are trading on the royal brand because none of them can step out.

If they stopped being the monarchy they will immediately be a private family dynasty to knock the Kennedy, Bush, and Clinton dynasties into insignificance as far as power and influence is concerned. They'll be inundated with offers into business and politics and they'll be free to manage their personal finances the way all other phenomenally wealthy people do.

In conclusion, there's no existential need for them to carry on the'family firm'; it's simply a set of responsibilities they've all been brought up to fulfill. Charles' reaction to the possibility of Jamaica dropping them as head of state underlines that the monarchy is a consensual thing valued by many, and without that consent then it will cease to be.

This sits uncomfortably with the questions about right to protest peacefully which is raised by the tiny minority who seem to want to air their opposition to the monarchy to those paying tribute to it in a way not unlike someone running around a mosque waving a bacon butty in everybody's face.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This sits uncomfortably with the questions about right to protest peacefully which is raised by the tiny minority who seem to want to air their opposition to the monarchy to those paying tribute to it in a way not unlike someone running around a mosque waving a bacon butty in everybody's face.

This is true. These people are entitled to their views but some of them seem to want to spoil things for those who want to pay their respects. We all know they exist and most are ok with people having a different point of view, but to see/hear them shouting at funeral processions does them and their cause no credit. They just look like sad losers - save it for more appropriate occasions......time and place and all that.......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Thought you served for Queen and country?

I did, for six years, that's how Long it took me to see I was part of an almighty cook up. I'm not a Royalist nor am am I anti Royal. Ambivalence is my middle name on this subject, couldn't be more 'meh' if I tried. Got nothing against the Queen, not much for her either . I just can't get excited either way on  this topic...each to their own as no one is being hurt. Some peoples feelings maybe, but sticks and stones and all that. 

• Like 1