Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

OTT Potter

Potter is a fool imo. He may be now a rich fool, but a fool nevertheless. Gets a club to a stage where they are starting to produce superb winning football at the top level - and promptly leaves for a toxic club. Stupid is as stupid does. Chelsea are a toxic club, no doubt.....yes, he may get them playing well, he may not, but if he doesn't, he will be sacked at the drop of a hat, as Tuchel has been. Tuchel - rich in ambition ability and experience, totally let down by his players - the same players Potter will have to work with.  Daft....innit? Or is the chance to manage Chelsea that big a draw really?  Or is it just the money? He had something really good going at Brighton - and been seduced away.  History will show whether he has done the right thing, but managers jumping ship mis deason does not reflect well on the game...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hardly foolish. He, like all managers, knows he is only ever one bad run away from being sacked. His bank account just got an awful lot larger and will ensure comfort after he’s forgotten in the game. It’s not what I would want - loyalty is no longer part of the game- but it makes a lot of sense from his perspective 

• Like 5

He's not a fool, he knows how football works.

There are a limited number of clubs who have the finances to win big trophies. It is pretty rare for clubs of that stature to hire from outside the pool of managers who already have that experience. So by taking this job he's betting on himself. It might not work out but the chances of him becoming a Champions League manager at Brighton are vanishingly slim. There is every chance they finish 10th this season and return to lower mid-table after that and he's never discussed for a top job again. Any ambitious manager would take the chance when it presents itself.

• Like 4

As a player he was a lower league defender. So there is no pedigree of playing at a top club and learning the ropes. SO he has done it all himself. He went abroad and did a good job and then moved to Swansea and the rest is history.

When top clubs talk of experience, I wonder how they think coaches get that experience? You have to give somebody a chance. If he fails at Chelsea, and that depends on the parameters of his job but I assume if winning the CL isn't good enough, then they are narrow, then he will have gained experience.

Whilst I do agree in a lot of ways, it's not often a club like Chelsea comes asking if you'd like to manage them for lots of money. He may never get another opportunity to manage a top 4 side so he'd equally be foolish to turn it down. Unfortunately the days of loyalty are long gone

Edited by AJ

He has to back himself and go for it.

His success at Brighton shows that he can run a low or mid table premiership side competently.

Now he has to find out how far he can go with a challenge like Chelsea. 

It's great to see a young British Manager being recognised by a club like Chelsea. Good luck to him. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Potter is a fool imo. He may be now a rich fool, but a fool nevertheless. Gets a club to a stage where they are starting to produce superb winning football at the top level - and promptly leaves for a toxic club. Stupid is as stupid does. Chelsea are a toxic club, no doubt.....yes, he may get them playing well, he may not, but if he doesn't, he will be sacked at the drop of a hat, as Tuchel has been. Tuchel - rich in ambition ability and experience, totally let down by his players - the same players Potter will have to work with.  Daft....innit? Or is the chance to manage Chelsea that big a draw really?  Or is it just the money? He had something really good going at Brighton - and been seduced away.  History will show whether he has done the right thing, but managers jumping ship mis deason does not reflect well on the game...

Alternatively, Brighton may drop off this season and start to struggle more next (as per West Ham?), leaving Potter's reputation on a lower level than it currently is.

Nobody can predict the future, and ultimately, if you have a career with very limited opportunities and which is extremely uncertain in terms of job security, if something like this comes along you would be more foolish to turn it down IMO.

Chelsea could be seen as a risk, but he is obviously confident and has been given longer-term assurances by their board. Risk vs. reward.

I agree to a point with all the above posts, but for me the culture in football is just beyond ridiculous now. He will be on very good money at Brighton, if he has been sensible during his career, he will be very well off thank you and never have to work again.

So maybe not so much the money as people think?  Maybe it's more the football challenge.....which is where I question the sense of it. Is Chelsea the kind of club that will support him through the bad times? No, it certainly isn't. Will it be good experience for him? Maybe, maybe like with Moyes at MU - only to show him how bad managing at an awful club is.

I suppose he's laughing all the way to the bank, great money, chance to have a go at one of the richest clubs in the world, titles, champions league and all that......but at what cost to himself?  I hope he's ready for what Tuchel faced, super rich flaky players needing to be molly coddled and have their egos built up.

He had a good thing going at Brighton.

Only has to look at the likes of Rodgers or Parker to see how you can go from hero to zero so quickly… quite the opposite of foolish I think.

Hardly foolish, it may be his one and only chance to manage one of the big club's, his stock is at its highest so would be foolish not to go for it imo. Chelsea were absolutely a toxic club under its last owner, maybe the new owner will be different and has sold the job to Potter as a long term project. Obviously if he struggles to handle the egos and gets poor results, then he'll be sacked, but that's true of every club. The question is will Brighton be looking at the top of the championship to find a new manager?

5 minutes ago, OnDaBall said:

Hardly foolish, it may be his one and only chance to manage one of the big club's, his stock is at its highest so would be foolish not to go for it imo. Chelsea were absolutely a toxic club under its last owner, maybe the new owner will be different and has sold the job to Potter as a long term project. Obviously if he struggles to handle the egos and gets poor results, then he'll be sacked, but that's true of every club. The question is will Brighton be looking at the top of the championship to find a new manager?

Ange Postecoglu - 6/1

Brendan Rodgers - 6/1

Karel Geraerts - 7/1

Kjetil Knutsen - 8/1

Mauricio Pochettino - 10/1

Nathan Jones - 10/1

Felice Mazzu - 12/1

Russell Martin - 12/1

Thomas Frank - 12/1

Chris Wilder - 16/1

🤔😉 I think Brighton already know.

Edited by Mengo

He would have been a fool if he'd left for another also-ran PL team but this is a team that can win leagues and cups so no, he's not a fool. 99% of managers and players would do exactly the same in his shoes. 

6 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He would have been a fool if he'd left for another also-ran PL team but this is a team that can win leagues and cups so no, he's not a fool. 99% of managers and players would do exactly the same in his shoes. 

💯.  

Next Brighton Manager Odds

Ange Postecoglou- 11/2

Kjetil Knutsen- 6/1

Brendan Rodgers- 13/2

Edited by Mengo

Let's just remind ourselves that professional football is a job to those employed within it and often a short career at that.

As fans it's second nature to moan at players or managers moving on for supposedly better things, but they're certainly no fools - look at it from a positive perspective if Potter succeeds at Chelsea then next stop who knows, he could practically cherrypick his next club.

I've changed jobs before to earn more money and work for a better companies so I don't see what Potter is doing as any different, good luck to the bloke.

He can’t turn down an offer that may never come again. 

Think it will need badly mainly because if I were Kante, Tiago Silva, Sterling, Jorginho etc… I would think what an earth is this bloke who barely played above the second tier going to improve my game or have the football or moral authority over me.

Still he’ll get a massive pay off when it ends.

Edited by Ulfotto

16 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

It has all the hallmarks of David Moyes joining Manchester United when his stock was at the highest.

Moyes lasted 9 months. I would be surprised if Potter lasted longer than that.

The new Chelsea owner obviously doesn't know football or the nuances of football. If he thinks it's all about spending hundreds of millions and that will bring success, he should look at the recent spending of Manchester United over the past decade.

Potter's biggest challenge is to get the midfield working, especially with the lack of depth they have 

Wonder how much the Gilmour buy back price is. And yes, contrary to popular myth, he'd walk into the current Chelsea midfield. Playing Conor Gallagher as a number 6 is akin to playing Ronaldo as a centerback.

Oh dear, Chelsea are in trouble.

As for David Moyes joining Man U, following probably the top PL manager there has ever been was always going to be a big ask.  He's still managing in the Prem so hasn't done badly in career terms.

• Like 1

How can it be a bad move ? It was only last season that Brighton had a dip in form as all clubs do and fans were booing the team after a home game which they won. Potter couldn't believe it and said so.

Football is built on sand so he knows what he's letting himself in for at Chelsea : a massive club, a massive pay cheque each week and a massive pay-off when it all goes wrong and he steps into the next job. What's not to like ?

Brighton are going nowhere and they will win nothing. They might attain mid table mediocrity, they might plateau and head back down. That's the harsh reality.

Ridiculous to call him a fool really. 

• Like 1

I'm wanting to see a manager stay at a club long term. Build something long lasting, his club supporting him when things get tough and build something special.  Potter had drawn great admiration for what he has done at Brighton, but who knows how much further he could have got them - maybe the league? Leicester did it after all. We'll never know - and Brighton fans will never know.

Short termism is rife in the game - and it's ridiculous. Select a good manager and stick with them, even through the tough times. If the players stop playing for them - get rid of the players and bring new ones in. Managers could do the same - stick with the club that supports you and work to build something.

Changing jobs happens of course and fair enough - but not when you are in the middle of building something, which is what Potter has done. That's why I called him foolish.  People take the mick about my attitude to Farke, but there was someone who would have stuck with his job come rain or shine - he was in it for the long haul. Would he have gone to Chelsea had they come calling? No, I don't think he would mid-contract. Potter has plainly left his job at the drop of a hat - seduced by a big club. Weak minded imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Or maybe Potter is a better manager than Tuchel?

I say good luck to Potter - given his managerial record nobody can rightly begrudge him the opportunity of a job at a big club. 

Speculation of course, but I suspect Tuchel’s sacking has as much to do with things behind the scenes as performances on the pitch - I doubt his carry-on with Conte on the touchline will have endeared him to the new owners much.  

Maybe they’re just after a different style & personality of manager to represent their club and Potter fits the profile for them. 

Edited by mrdi

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm wanting to see a manager stay at a club long term. Build something long lasting, his club supporting him when things get tough and build something special.  Potter had drawn great admiration for what he has done at Brighton, but who knows how much further he could have got them - maybe the league? Leicester did it after all. We'll never know - and Brighton fans will never know.

Short termism is rife in the game - and it's ridiculous. Select a good manager and stick with them, even through the tough times. If the players stop playing for them - get rid of the players and bring new ones in. Managers could do the same - stick with the club that supports you and work to build something.

Changing jobs happens of course and fair enough - but not when you are in the middle of building something, which is what Potter has done. That's why I called him foolish.  People take the mick about my attitude to Farke, but there was someone who would have stuck with his job come rain or shine - he was in it for the long haul. Would he have gone to Chelsea had they come calling? No, I don't think he would mid-contract. Potter has plainly left his job at the drop of a hat - seduced by a big club. Weak minded imo.

Brighton seemed pretty content with mid table, they've had a great start but their model is pretty strict with signing young players to improve and sell as soon as an offer comes in. If Potter has ambitions of winning trophies it's much more likely to happen at Chelsea. Potter already turned down Spurs after they sacked Mourinho so it's not like he's jumped the first chance he got. Also if you think Farke would have stayed here if a top 4 club came calling then I don't know what to say. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I agree to a point with all the above posts, but for me the culture in football is just beyond ridiculous now. He will be on very good money at Brighton, if he has been sensible during his career, he will be very well off thank you and never have to work again.

So maybe not so much the money as people think?  Maybe it's more the football challenge.....which is where I question the sense of it. Is Chelsea the kind of club that will support him through the bad times? No, it certainly isn't. Will it be good experience for him? Maybe, maybe like with Moyes at MU - only to show him how bad managing at an awful club is.

I suppose he's laughing all the way to the bank, great money, chance to have a go at one of the richest clubs in the world, titles, champions league and all that......but at what cost to himself?  I hope he's ready for what Tuchel faced, super rich flaky players needing to be molly coddled and have their egos built up.

He had a good thing going at Brighton.

And where do you think he has more chance of winning a trophy? 

Hardly a fool is he.

Chance to manage in the champions league at a club that can attract and work with some of the world's best players. 

It's not like he's leaving Brighton to go manage in Saudi on silly money.

What a stupid Post.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

And where do you think he has more chance of winning a trophy? 

Hardly a fool is he.

Chance to manage in the champions league at a club that can attract and work with some of the world's best players. 

It's not like he's leaving Brighton to go manage in Saudi on silly money.

What a stupid Post.

👍no brainer comes to mind. Potter is not a fool. 

I think this is a great opportunity Potter.  He would be joining at the start of the owners ‘Chelsea’ project, and to be fair I do not like them but they are a fantastically well organised and wealthy club, with top quality players.  This is a great opportunity.

The problem for him is that the owners re going to want to see a quick turnaround in fortunes. I’m not sure Potter has the ability to make that change. If he was tasked with rebuilding and given three seasons , then yes, I’d say a great move, but we all know he won’t be given anywhere near that length of time. 

Edited by astro