rock bus

Dean Smith just isn’t right for our club

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

There's something very odd about a 60odd year old man calling a 19 year old boy "Gibbo" 

Smith is in his fifties, but I get your point.

This so-called old school ****e is so difficult to accept for the many of us who thought we were in for a decade of Daniel Farke's progressive, up to the moment stuff.

Did Webber actually do his homework? Actually?

The man is a stuck in the mud personality who appears to be totally unaware of the requirements for success in today's game.

He's no tactician. That's for sure.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I read somewhere once that Smith was supposed to be a modern progressive manager but to me he comes across as very old school, like a pound shop Steve Bruce.

My complaint about his appointment is that he was very much a manager on the way down whereas previously (Farke, Neil, Lambert) we'd gone for managers on their way up or those with something to prove. I don't get the sense that Smith is trying to build something here or sees it as his opportunity to prove his doubters wrong. It takes time to reflect and learn from your failures and it feels like he's using his time with us to do that and then his next job will be his attempt at a comeback.

You can say the same about some of our players, particularly Rashica who came straight from a relegated side and again doesn't play like someone with something to prove. Then you've got the likes of Hanley who is a competent enough defender on his day but certainly not the inspirational figure you want to see as Captain, and McClean who is just an average Championship journeyman now. Maybe it's blasphemy to say it, but even Pukki looks like he's going through the motions at this point.

Our recent success was a combination of so many things but chief among them was a manager with a defined style of play and a squad of players that bought into what he was trying to do and played like they had something to prove.

We need a manager and players who are hungry for success and eager to prove themselves and grateful to Norwich for giving them that opportunity. Right now we've got too many journeyman, has-beens and never-weres in the squad and the coaching staff.

Edited by Peanuts
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, rock bus said:

Knee jerk reaction to going behind to Hulll.., maybe? But even if we come back to win today I still don’t think smith is right to for us.

i don’t think he’s heart Is in it and we have no love for him. He’s still trying to get over villa and we’re just trying to get over Farke.

Let’s just admit it’s not working.. he can leave with some dignity and find a league club. We can find a manager who can motivate our players and knows what style they want and at least give us a fighting chance of making the play offs.

Need to do it now before it’s too late!

Agree

3 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

I read somewhere once that Smith was supposed to be a modern progressive manager but to me he comes across as very old school, like a pound shop Steve Bruce.

My complaint about his appointment is that he was very much a manager on the way down whereas previously (Farke, Neil, Lambert) we'd gone for managers on their way up or those with something to prove. I don't get the sense that Smith is trying to build something here or sees it as his opportunity to prove his doubters wrong. It takes time to reflect and learn from your failures and it feels like he's using his time with us to do that and then his next job will be his attempt at a comeback.

You can say the same about some of our players, particularly Rashica who came straight from a relegated side and again doesn't play like someone with something to prove. Then you've got the likes of Hanley who is a competent enough defender on his day but certainly not the inspirational figure you want to see as Captain, and McClean who is just an average Championship journeyman now. Maybe it's blasphemy to say it, but even Pukki looks like he's going through the motions at this point.

Our recent success was a combination of so many things but chief among them was a manager with a defined style of play and a squad of players that bought into what he was trying to do and played like they had something to prove.

We need a manager and players who are hungry for success and eager to prove themselves and grateful to Norwich for giving them that opportunity. Right now we've got too many journeyman, has-beens and never-weres in the squad and the coaching staff.

Once again I agree should never buy player who have been relegated and a manager that was struggling 

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Is he by Christ???? Must have had a bloody hard paper round(bet he delivered to the wrong addresses more often than not😉

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Is he by Christ???? Must have had a bloody hard paper round(bet he delivered to the wrong addresses more often than not😉

He threw a paper at the porch but it ended up on the neighbours roof

he just needs more time, the previous paperboy was far more accurate and we’re just bitter that he isn’t him

we mustn’t also forget that Harry Kane was a bad paperboy for a while for some reason

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peanuts said:

Its almost as if Lambert, Neil and Farke wanted to manage Norwich whereas Smith just wanted a job. Lets be honest, Webber didnt know he was available when getting rid of DF and it just happened that it suited both parties at the time - perhaps not for the right reasons. Temporary fix and coming back to bite us

On 13/08/2022 at 19:15, nutty nigel said:

Maybe it's time to stop trying to make all our players fit in with Pukki. He can't be the main man forever.

I already feel bad for this suggestion...

Good suggestion.👏😀

Two home games and let’s not overly carried away, we were awful second half against ten men on Tuesday, far better last night.

I’ve said all along and stand by my thoughts on Smith, he’s not very dynamic and his style is still in question. But I genuinely want the guy to succeed as I said from the first day, he’s certainly not my choice for us but he’s our coach and being successful means we’re successful so who doesn’t want that. I’d still be looking to change if I was in charge, but I’m not and we shall see where we end up.

Few things to take from last night, Sargent up front at last, Gibbs is definitely our Skipp replacement, Nunez is a fantastic full on midfielder, Sinani reads the game and links up well with Sargent and Omobamdele is a very calm and good defender, solid core which needs to be where we build from each week.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

Smith is a dour, some might say dull, Brummie. Llkeable nevertheless (they mostly are.) He is also old looking for his age and out of shape. This doesn't help and probably gives a false impression of his managerial worth in this era of young, dynamic (foreign) coaches.

Dinosaur was the term I have (unfairly) used recently, but I get the impression that there is more to him beneath the surface than on it, and it does seem that he has a very good rapport with the players as well.

I don't think that he'll ever figure in my list of all-time favourite City managers, but I am gradually being converted to the belief that there is enough in the man (the pair of them, actually) to get us seriously challenging this season. 

After that, who knows?

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

I dunno I just find him unlikeable probably because he followed farke and probably because he has all the charisma of a wet paper bag.

Wrong fit for the club, got some results finally but still not a Smith fan.

Will take me a lot to join in the deano chant 

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I dunno I just find him unlikeable probably because he followed farke and probably because he has all the charisma of a wet paper bag.

Wrong fit for the club, got some results finally but still not a Smith fan.

Will take me a lot to join in the deano chant 

despite being really pleased with last two games and the performances shown. I don’t think I’ll ever be a huge smith fan and I stand behind my original post in that I still don’t have a sense of connection with him.
I certainly won’t ever be buying a Smith bobble head to replace my Farke one which will always have pride of place in my home!

It's pretty childish to refuse to like someone on the basis he's not the manager we had before.

As for style,  there's really not much difference between how we played under Farke in terms of passing style. The counter pressing off the ball and energy levels are much better, but we arent quite as slick attacking.

Good to hear the majority of the crowd is right behind him though, evidencing this forum isn't really representative.

• Like 6

It's only 5 games in and playing twice at home in a matter of days has certainly helped. We now need to start getting points away from home.

Many were saying he needs until October or 10 games whatever. Let's see where we are then.

I've really enjoyed his brand of football this week and the work rate and spirit from the players looks good. Long may it continue!

Forgot to add, and don't tinker with the midfield 😉

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 1

I still am not convinced that Smith is right for us. 
He was forced into making the Pukki change Tuesday and it has paid off. 
I am concerned that Smith wont make changes because he wants to keep too many happy and as a manager in any industry that never works. 
Smith out. 

You just know as soon as Pukki is fully fit Smith will slot him back into his position and push Sargent back out of his preferred position rendering him useless again. If a striker has hit form leave him where he is.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

It's pretty childish to refuse to like someone on the basis he's not the manager we had before.

As for style,  there's really not much difference between how we played under Farke in terms of passing style. The counter pressing off the ball and energy levels are much better, but we arent quite as slick attacking.

Good to hear the majority of the crowd is right behind him though, evidencing this forum isn't really representative.

People still cryring over Farke like he's an ex that broke up with them

2 hours ago, rock bus said:

despite being really pleased with last two games and the performances shown. I don’t think I’ll ever be a huge smith fan and I stand behind my original post in that I still don’t have a sense of connection with him.
I certainly won’t ever be buying a Smith bobble head to replace my Farke one which will always have pride of place in my home!

This^^  I wasn't even bothered to hear what Smith had to say after the match yesterday.  Farke is one of the most intelligent managers we have ever had, as well as being one of the most charismatic, always worth listening to. 

The bobble head thing is true for me as well 😀

It really is sad that so much critisism came (and continues to come) Smith's way simply for not being Farke, and the extremes it went to in the first few games this season (despite us playing well and a definite style emerging) shows how little people know, and were actually watching of the football.

Smith inherited a useless PL squad, that Farke must have had a say in building and certainly had a major say in getting to play so poorly. Smith made changes to try and get the best out of it (bypass the non existent midfield), playing to the very few strengths we had, and yet that meant we had no 'identity' and were throwing away the messiahs philosophy, as if Farke had the patent on passing slick football, despite Smith's history as a football manager and the way he had teams such as Brentford and Villa playing. Those players were not able to play the way we are now in the PL and get results. As it turned out we weren't good enough full stop, but Smith's way gave some glimmer of hope and but for injuries and poor management of the Covid situation, who knows.

That we're now seeing Smith's way of playing is very similar, and equally attractive on the eye (without the two players supposedly responsible for our promotion last time) as Farkes is hilarious. Nice to see some giving some due credit, and it's not all rosy now as the season is long and still improvements and consistency needed. But what the team has shown this week is a philosophy, a clear way of playing, a tactical and motivational coach and also a club all pulling in the same direction. All despite the unintelligible ramblings and inpatient blubbing 'support' of many 'fans'. It's all very well having an opinion, please can it be based on actual evidence and basic sense, rather than just the latest result and whether the coach drinks tea out of a mug and is getting a bit podgy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Agree with this. I'm someone who will always think of Farke fondly. He was a big personality and more so a completely decent human being. It's a powerful thing personality! And it is very influential on who we like (and don't like). I doubt (save for someone like Mourinho) that anyone coming in after Farke would have been immediately loved anyway. 

It's not personality though that's important but results and also (I stress, for me) it's about how we play. Whether I feel entertained. I rarely was under Hughton but he could set us up at times to be hard to beat. Yet, in this latest team I'm enjoying our play. I got to the Hull match and though it was utterly frustrating to lose that match I felt we were very decent for long periods. To put all our failures in play (individual mistakes) onto Smith is unfair. To say we don't like him because he is dull is odd. But it's the way of modern life. People constantly judge. There again we have posters here who've posted that they are changing their minds. It's a sign of a very balanced person who can say that. And a sign of a happier person too.

Our play has been expansive in most matches (Cardiff the least so but we at least ought to have had a draw). Smith appears to have galvanised the squad. His subs are often refreshing. He has backed youth. He hasn't been afraid to drop some players. What's not to like really! Especially now our playing style is getting results?

Hope it all continues (and I see the Five Three Eight website now has us as above 40% for automatic promotion , just behind Watford). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

It really is sad that so much critisism came (and continues to come) Smith's way simply for not being Farke, and the extremes it went to in the first few games this season (despite us playing well and a definite style emerging) shows how little people know, and were actually watching of the football.

Smith inherited a useless PL squad, that Farke must have had a say in building and certainly had a major say in getting to play so poorly. Smith made changes to try and get the best out of it (bypass the non existent midfield), playing to the very few strengths we had, and yet that meant we had no 'identity' and were throwing away the messiahs philosophy, as if Farke had the patent on passing slick football, despite Smith's history as a football manager and the way he had teams such as Brentford and Villa playing. Those players were not able to play the way we are now in the PL and get results. As it turned out we weren't good enough full stop, but Smith's way gave some glimmer of hope and but for injuries and poor management of the Covid situation, who knows.

That we're now seeing Smith's way of playing is very similar, and equally attractive on the eye (without the two players supposedly responsible for our promotion last time) as Farkes is hilarious. Nice to see some giving some due credit, and it's not all rosy now as the season is long and still improvements and consistency needed. But what the team has shown this week is a philosophy, a clear way of playing, a tactical and motivational coach and also a club all pulling in the same direction. All despite the unintelligible ramblings and inpatient blubbing 'support' of many 'fans'. It's all very well having an opinion, please can it be based on actual evidence and basic sense, rather than just the latest result and whether the coach drinks tea out of a mug and is getting a bit podgy.

Excellent 📫 post. Thanks 👍

6 hours ago, Herman said:

Good suggestion.👏😀

They should have done it before. If someone had come in with a good offer he would have been gone.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Halo effect, basically.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

No I utterly disagree.
Lambert and Farke are two managers who really caught the imaginations of the fans.
Smith was not first choice and replaces possibly the most charismatic boss we have ever had.
He has 2 wins of any value to his name and he is yet to prove himself.

I will get behind the team and I will get behind Smith to a degree but I still dont think hes a fit for the club.
Will this change? Of course, stock up the wins get something to shout about, get us up / do or die and you will sway the fan base.

Its like a rebound girlfriend, you still love your ex and you desperately want to get over her / him / them (2022) is the rebound girl the one to do it? Probably not, probably the one after or even the one after that BUT very possibly its the rebound that turns out to be love of your life. 
And thats all Ok, not childish at all - Human nature. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

You just know as soon as Pukki is fully fit Smith will slot him back into his position and push Sargent back out of his preferred position rendering him useless again. If a striker has hit form leave him where he is.

My preference would be to play Sargent where he is and play Teemu off him. 

That would be hard on Dowell but worth it. The best we have played this year is when Adam Idah played the focal role and Teemu played the No 10 in January before Idah's injury. Sargent could easily play that role.

If my memory is correct I believe Sargent and Teemu played together early last season and looked quite dangerous (Sargent's famous Brighton miss). It could be a dangerous pairing for other clubs to play against.

Do not underestimate Teemu's ability to adapt.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 13:36, Yellow Wal said:

That would be hard on Dowell but worth it.

It certainly would be hard on Dowell. Think he was involved in all four of our goals last week. But I agree it would be good to see if we can find a way of playing two up front. I love Pukki to bits but he really only scores one type of goal. Having Sargent or Idah up there with him (or just in front of him, as you suggest) just gives defences something else to think about.

I’ve was definitely going to struggle to warm to whoever followed Farke just as I imagine that until Saturday many Leeds fans were Luke warm on the Jesse who followed Bielsa. But if I can back Bryan Hamilton I can get behind the Boards current choice, and I do, nevertheless…….

On 14/08/2022 at 10:02, BroadstairsR said:

This so-called old school ****e is so difficult to accept for the many of us who thought we were in for a decade of Daniel Farke's progressive, up to the moment stuff.

Did Webber actually do his homework? Actually?

The man is a stuck in the mud personality who appears to be totally unaware of the requirements for success in today's game.

He's no tactician. That's for sure.

On 20/08/2022 at 07:42, BroadstairsR said:

Smith is a dour, some might say dull, Brummie. Llkeable nevertheless (they mostly are.) He is also old looking for his age and out of shape. This doesn't help and probably gives a false impression of his managerial worth in this era of young, dynamic (foreign) coaches.

Dinosaur was the term I have (unfairly) used recently, but I get the impression that there is more to him beneath the surface than on it, and it does seem that he has a very good rapport with the players as well.

I don't think that he'll ever figure in my list of all-time favourite City managers, but I am gradually being converted to the belief that there is enough in the man (the pair of them, actually) to get us seriously challenging this season. 

After that, who knows?

In the space of 6 days on the same page of the same thread you wrote these!

The other day I wrote about fickle fans supporting on a whim from hysteria to euphoria.    Not quite euphoria here but two wins ….. that’s all it took!   It’s a beautiful game!   🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

In the space of 6 days on the same page of the same thread you wrote these!

The other day I wrote about fickle fans supporting on a whim from hysteria to euphoria.    Not quite euphoria here but two wins ….. that’s all it took!   It’s a beautiful game!   🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh dear!

So much trouble to reveal contradictions that would not really be seen to be there if time had been taken to diagnose exactly what I said and if you had approached my postings with some degree of in depth analysis rather than with a need to try and be clever.

Hardly black and white, and as for hysteria to euphoria? You have to be kidding. Get a grip! I actually pointed out  that my conversion was 'gradual,' a path it seems many have taken.

There will always be a certain amount of fickleness in the views of most, if not all, football supporters, it's in our DNA.

I did actually admit that I used the term 'dinosaur' unfairly, but still consider him old school compared with Daniel Farke. Nothing to see there, it's called discussion.

It is also not beyond the realm of possibility that Smith's performance has actually improved from the dire to the acceptable in the space of two games. He's certainly shown a bit more tactical acumen than hitherto revealed, and certainly didn't appear so clueless on the touchline. Something had to change. Many thought that these last two home games were make or break for our management team. They made it, so we can be allowed to be more positive.

For the record, I still don't feel that Dean Smith is a good fit for our club and cannot see his term at Carrow Road being a particularly long one. However, I'll support him if he continues to get results. In the meantime, my respect will be guarded.

I still feel that Webber's decision-making will prove to be ill-judged in the medium/long-term. Hopefully not for this season, but it's in the balance more than it should be.

Hardly worth arguing further, though, as it might start you off onto another little time-consuming investigation. 

Edited by BroadstairsR