cambridgeshire canary

Webbers full interview, out now

Good interview. 

Always enjoy listening to Webbers views and his honesty. Does need to stop blaming the fans for “giving up early” though.

intrigued as to what the few announcements are that will excite us.

9 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

But what we actually got was a combination of delusional drivel and complete denial (since he can't possibly be unaware) of his own responsibility for much of what has gone wrong this season.

"There's no way to dress it up other than ultimately, we've not been good enough. We've not achieved what we wanted and, reflecting back, it's not been good enough so we'll dust ourselves down and go again."

I'm sure you want him to say 'my signings were terrible and it's the main reason we got relegated,' but it's not how it works. He can't overly criticise players who still need to perform for us. Also, it's not just him. Look back through his interviews and you'll see that he always says 'we', which reflects that it's him, the recruitment staff, the manager(s) and the players who have failed. He also says 'we' when they got promoted, openly stating that they all get praised when they win and they stick together when they lose. 

'Delusional' would be saying that they actually got 40 points, and their place in the league has been stolen from them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What are you talking about!

Look back to my last message explaining I don’t have PayPal. Offered an alternative idea and surprise surprise I heard nothing back. Anyway who cares, so much easier to cut out the middleman like I said. 

@shefcanary I’ve noticed a few of your posts over the past few weeks have championed this notion of a CEO.

Forgive my naivety but what difference would that appointment make in the current setup?

Though I appreciate what Webber’s come out with again I do find it at odds with itself at points, both chastising fans then praising them and it seems contradictory to that of the Athletic article which paints a rather more sobering picture of events (obviously Webber and Canaries TV isn’t going to go into nuanced detail about what Bailey’s article did). For me, there is nothing in that interview that hasn’t already been said before and therefore I worry that these failures aren’t being addressed properly. IDK just my feeling.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Look back to my last message explaining I don’t have PayPal. Offered an alternative idea and surprise surprise I heard nothing back. Anyway who cares, so much easier to cut out the middleman like I said. 

So you're actually saying I'm unhelpful as regards to getting money to the CSF. Are you going to expand on that?

The last post I saw you were going to look up what you owed. I've been waiting for further news which hasn't been forthcoming. 

Perhaps you'd like to put that right now?

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Good interview. 

Always enjoy listening to Webbers views and his honesty. Does need to stop blaming the fans for “giving up early” though.

intrigued as to what the few announcements are that will excite us.

Anyone with a 1,000 shares will be given free access to Colney and all the time on the Soccerbot they want.

Behind the scene the club has been working on a new project, they will announce that they have successfully cloned Oliver Skipp and Dolly Skipp will be available to play CM next season.

During the 3 week break for the world cup the club will host a series of outdoor events including Bruce Springsteen, BTS and an NFL match.

The whole 1st team squad will be at the new kit launch which will take place during the Keswick Mountain Festival.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What are you talking about!

I've never known you to be difficult in accepting donations to the CSF or PuPs. I even told Midlands I wasn't fussed what the amount was as long as he was comfortable. Couldn't have been fairer in all honesty.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

So you're actually saying I'm unhelpful as regards to getting money to the CSF. Are you going to expand on that?

The last post I saw you were going to look up what you owed. I've been waiting for further news which hasn't been forthcoming. 

Perhaps you'd like to put that right now?

Stop twisting as per usual. I was clearly saying you blanked me regarding sending funds after I pointed out I don’t do PayPal. It’s all sorted, my conscience is clear and I’ll say no more. 

36 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I'd argue this is where the real problem - it isn't his choice!  It's the lack of a proper Chairperson / CEO that has forced him to be the media focal point for the club, he has opted for the role but is proving himself to be inept at it whilst believing he knows what he is doing. 

If there was a proper bloody structure at the club with appropriate accountability, it would have been the CEO fronting that interview and there would probably not have been such a bloody poor season they would have been reporting on!

Whilst I agree with the lack of accountability comment, which actually lies at the feet of Delia and the board, your whole Chairperson/CEO obsession is quite odd. The structure at the club has been widely praised until this season, when it seems some people (not necessarily you) want to sack everyone and start again. 

If Webber is running the football side of things (as he is), the last thing that I would want is for some corporate suit (or ex-politician) to explain why things have failed this season. I would want the guy in charge of things sharing his thoughts.

Back to your accountability point, we've had two great promotions and two poor relegations. As long as there is evidence that they are actively trying to address the latter (and learn from their mistakes) then I am happy for him to stay. The club is in a much, much better place than when he first arrived and I firmly believe that he will continue to do what is best for the NCFC.

Hmmm yes what he says is balanced and reasonable but - and it’s a but big enough to star on challenge Aneka-  that isn’t the point …because what matters are the major questions he dodged by cowardly hiding from local media and picking his own interviewer! 

Silence therefore on his performance in the transfer market 

silence on why we couldn’t land our top targets

silence on why there was no progress at all 

silence on how much money has been wasted

silende on why he won’t talk to media (sulking like a small child isn’t a good look)

silence on how the model changes to ensure we have learnt lessons

i could go on 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Stop twisting as per usual. I was clearly saying you blanked me regarding sending funds after I pointed out I don’t do PayPal. It’s all sorted, my conscience is clear and I’ll say no more. 

I'm glad you sorted it. It really doesn't have to go through me unless you wanted it included on the forums total.

But I'd like you to explain what you meant by me being at my "unhelpful best once again"?

The last time this happened I paid it for you.

His lack of acknowledgment of his own role in the failures does worry me again in the context of our lack of governance at the club. If what he says in the interview is really what he thinks, who is there at the cloub taking him aside and reviewing his own performance?

The power that he and Zoe wields is a huge worry. 

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm glad you sorted it. It really doesn't have to go through me unless you wanted it included on the forums total.

But I'd like you to explain what you meant by me being at my "unhelpful best once again"?

The last time this happened I paid it for you.

Again I tried that time but with the same result. Look it up if you wish and have the time. Why would I intentionally renege on paying a pledge? In the past you have thanked me though for contributing through merchandise I gifted. I doubt you’ll remember that too though. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 hour ago, repman said:

This is spot on. I think back to Watford at home early on in the season, after we had our incredibly difficult start, at 1-1 in that game it was clearly the moment for the crowd to really get behind the team and try to push them on. What happened instead was that the ground was basically silent, and then Watford went on to score. 

what actually happened is that we were not given an absolutely blatant penalty (and VAR declined to intervene as usual for us) and then Watford went up the oteher end and scored.

For me you can’t have it both ways, many of here accused him of hiding over the last few weeks but now he has come out and been honest as he always is that isn’t right either 

time to leave it now, enjoy your summers and see what next season brings 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Again I tried that time but with the same result. Look it up if you wish and have the time. Why would I intentionally renege on paying a pledge? In the past you have thanked me though for contributing through merchandise I gifted. I doubt you’ll remember that too though. 

I do remember it. So how does that, and me paying a pledge for you, equate with me being "my unhelpful best once again"?

33 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Hmmm yes what he says is balanced and reasonable but - and it’s a but big enough to star on challenge Aneka-  that isn’t the point …because what matters are the major questions he dodged by cowardly hiding from local media and picking his own interviewer! 

Silence therefore on his performance in the transfer market 

silence on why we couldn’t land our top targets

silence on why there was no progress at all 

silence on how much money has been wasted

silende on why he won’t talk to media (sulking like a small child isn’t a good look)

silence on how the model changes to ensure we have learnt lessons

i could go on 

Hello darkness my old friend...

• Haha 1

Heard nothing on that interview that tells me he is the right man to turn things around 

19 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

@shefcanary I’ve noticed a few of your posts over the past few weeks have championed this notion of a CEO.

Forgive my naivety but what difference would that appointment make in the current setup?

Though I appreciate what Webber’s come out with again I do find it at odds with itself at points, both chastising fans then praising them and it seems contradictory to that of the Athletic article which paints a rather more sobering picture of events (obviously Webber and Canaries TV isn’t going to go into nuanced detail about what Bailey’s article did). For me, there is nothing in that interview that hasn’t already been said before and therefore I worry that these failures aren’t being addressed properly. IDK just my feeling.

@Danke bitte

Firstly I am not criticising Webber on specifics here, just the mechanisms that have led to the statement, albeit noting that the fans and the local media are not 100% supportive of what is going at the club at the moment. 

The contradictions made by Webber in this interview bear out why a CEO is necessary.  Webber is currently the front person in the media for Board and senior executive decisions; he is not from a PR background, coming across as an enthusiastic amateur.  It is great to hear from the club and that he has taken on this responsibility.  However I think it true to say that recent events and today's interview when added together show a lack of control over the message of the questions that fans and the local media want answering. Today's message does demonstrate what is on Webber's mind, be it his view of the past, Mount Everest or what happens to recruitment next. 

A CEO would help him to get across a clearer message.  More likely they would take the responsibility on themselves and importantly let Webber get on with the job of providing some ammunition to Deano. There are more issues at the moment that fans and the media want answers to other than Webber's position.  A CEO would take counsel from all the executive and report this in a more even handed way, not only showing they are in charge of all aspects of the club, but have challenged executives over what learning they take from a very disappointing season and hopefully presenting a clear action plan for what is going to happen next. 

With the best will in the world, can you see Zoe challenging Stuart over his recruitment policy, whilst he challenges her over the ticket pricing?  Can you also see Zoe reporting to the Board on Webber's behalf and taking responsibility for the decision he makes?  If that is what they discuss at work fine, but how does it affect thier homelife?  As I have said elsewhere her role on the Board is reportage and conduit of the Board's view, but does not provide an ability to ensure their views are implemented as in the current organisation she cannot instruct Webber what to do.  That is the role of a CEO!

This highlights the other main weakness of corporate governance at the club.  The acronym of PLC at the end of the organisation's name should be taken seriously.  The club is a public company with over 6,000 shareholders.  Sure, two of them (another married couple natch) jointly have 53% of the shares and thus control things, but if it is truly the "community club" that one of those two say it is, they need to demonstrate this by having Board accountability as well.  An independent Chairperson would provide this, ensuring that executives are held properly to account for their decisions, but also ensure the Board maintain a proper stewardship of the club.

The Chair would also ensure that the Board has a clear strategy for the CEO to follow (the five year plan no less), challenging the CEO and in turn the executive that they are doing everything possible to meet that strategy, and if not what resource is required to do so, wheter appropriate personnel or additional resource.  [As an aside here Webber today made out that this seasons' relegation was part of the plan, was it the Board's plan?]. The club has had good independent chairs in the past (e.g. Bowkett) so why it has ditched this role and the CEO baffles me. 

Given what has happened this season, I'm afraid the picture of Board meetings I have are unlikely to bring great comfort to those shareholders.  A couple on the Board effectively handing over running of the club to another couple just looks too darn cosy, with polite but inconsequential conversation around a pub table over pints and a pie springing to mind.  Meanwhile, we have a maverick who whenever he tries to right a position just seemingly makes a bigger hole for himself diverting his attention from the problem at hand, supported by someone who probably doesn't have the necessary skills but more importantly the true independence to challenge him on those mistakes.    

So a CEO allows executives to do what they are best at, challenging them to admit frailties' and highlight where they need help (which the CEO should provide), whilst seeking action plans that when pooled together ensure the Club meets its strategy.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Local media put out because Club given up talking to them.  Not surprised when all they do is stir things up, looking for a reaction to sell more papers etc.  Talk for the sake of talking and saying nothing that we don’t all see and know.  Always having polls which is undermining for the club and players.  Everything is cyclical and we’ve seen it all before over the years.  The season is over and we should move on.  OTBC!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Whilst I agree with the lack of accountability comment, which actually lies at the feet of Delia and the board, your whole Chairperson/CEO obsession is quite odd. The structure at the club has been widely praised until this season, when it seems some people (not necessarily you) want to sack everyone and start again. 

If Webber is running the football side of things (as he is), the last thing that I would want is for some corporate suit (or ex-politician) to explain why things have failed this season. I would want the guy in charge of things sharing his thoughts.

Back to your accountability point, we've had two great promotions and two poor relegations. As long as there is evidence that they are actively trying to address the latter (and learn from their mistakes) then I am happy for him to stay. The club is in a much, much better place than when he first arrived and I firmly believe that he will continue to do what is best for the NCFC.

Hopefully my previous response to Danke Bitte's similar question provides some clarity as to my point of view.  I too am not about sacking people or imposing "suits" on people, but to enable people like Webber to be the best he can be. It is only my opinion, but my view of his performance recently is that he is taking too much on his shoulders and a good Chairperson / CEO would see that and enable him to do a better job.  Also if he wasn't able to accept that, then it is down to the Chair / CEO to find someone who can accept that and still deliver the goods.  That's what accountability is all about.  Norwich currently has **** all. 

43 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

His lack of acknowledgment of his own role in the failures does worry me again in the context of our lack of governance at the club. If what he says in the interview is really what he thinks, who is there at the cloub taking him aside and reviewing his own performance?

The power that he and Zoe wields is a huge worry. 

I would argue they don't really wield power, from my observation they muddle through with the best of intentions but it is diverting both from what they are good at.

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I do remember it. So how does that, and me paying a pledge for you, equate with me being "my unhelpful best once again"?

As on this occasion you gave me no alternative payment method when I requested one. You can be a little pedantic Nutty and I can only try to pay. 

4 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Local media put out because Club given up talking to them.  Not surprised when all they do is stir things up, looking for a reaction to sell more papers etc.  Talk for the sake of talking and saying nothing that we don’t all see and know.  Always having polls which is undermining for the club and players.  Everything is cyclical and we’ve seen it all before over the years.  The season is over and we should move on.  OTBC!

News will be newspapers - these "polls"  to gauge opinion are nonsense but it is still not a good idea to start a battle with a local newspaper where most fans get most of their news.

In the final analysis it is likely to damage both parties. 

• Like 2

My advice to Webber is maybe he should live by the mantra 'sometimes it is better to say nothing and have people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and prove them right'. 

Nothing from this passing the buck exercise changes my opinion either way on the man. 

• Like 1

The bottom line is that this season's failure lies with Webber - it is ultimately his job as Sporting Director to recruit the correct players. Did he try? Yes. Did he have the right approach? Yes. Did he execute the correct transfers? No. 

In Webber's position, you clearly aren't going to state publicly that the players you signed (who are actively still at the club) weren't/aren't good enough, that's suicidal for club morale and any future transfer dealings upon selling these players. 

So, whilst I understand some of what he said given the scenario, he has massively failed on two major points

- Blaming the fans for giving up (never, ever, criticise the fans in any scenario - it only leads one way)

- seemingly accepting no blame for the failure 

It's far from an easy job recruiting Premier League capable players on a shoe-string budget, but he's had two attempts now and failed miserably both times. He's achieved a great many positive things whilst at the club but now time to move on. 

4 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Narcissism-fueled delusion.

An obscure reference I know, but did anyone ever see a program called Crisis Command about 20 years ago? (only availble episode above, no other archive footage exists - I even contacted the presenter once to see if the old film exists somewhere - he said he would see what he could do as there are other fans out there who thought this was great)

Theres a bit where the terrorists fly the plane into the Houses of Parliament. The Yo! Sushi guy Simon Woodruffe reflects and says 'I still think we made the right call'. Presenter says 'The Houses of Parliament are burning...' Yo! Sushi guy shrugs and doubles down - 'I still think we made the right call'...

Reminds me of that...

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

My advice to Webber is maybe he should live by the mantra 'sometimes it is better to say nothing and have people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and prove them right'. 

Nothing from this passing the buck exercise changes my opinion either way on the man. 

Webber has tried to put lipstick on a pig of a season. 
clearly thinks little of fans with his dont like it dont renew line

arrogant vetted interview

• Like 1