cambridgeshire canary

Webbers full interview, out now

1 minute ago, rock bus said:

I must admit I think the PinkUn has been a bit sneaky here (perhaps understandably) the quotes in the article do not reflect the overall tone of the interview at all. I'm not blaming them for that, they're perfectly entitled to do that having been snubbed.

But everyone on here needs to listen to the full interview and not just read the selected quotes before making a judgement.

Having previously been really impressed by Webber I was firmly in the get him out group after the poor performance this season and in particular some of his own ill judged  decisions and quotes (see Times interview).

This interview has brought me back on side to some degree. There are still some idiotic comments in there but I suppose he is just being honest. Most importantly I do think he genuinely wants to do what is best for the club (even if that is just to secure his own longer term career). I also think we need strong characters to run the club and to at least some extent ignore the fans passionate but knee jerk reactions (just beacuasre we love the club more doesnt mean we are best informed).

I'm now back to being willing to give him a chance - he has this transfer window to establish a team that is fighting for promotiion and to prove that the appointment of Smith was the right decision. If that isnt the case after 10 games he should leave and his replacement should in turn be choosing the next manager.

That Pinkun article is so salty. I'd expect better from Paddy Davitt, to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Is there anything about the club you don't like or anyone you think isn't up to it, or even just had their day? Not saying this to get a rise, I just genuinely wonder.

I'm not one of these 'sack everyone' when it goes wrong types but he can't keep going on about the training ground forever when the team looks so poor.

I've criticised Webber, and other parts of the club on this forum in just the past couple weeks. It's just those posts always get ignored by the same people and then I get people ask me this 🙂

Either way, all I've actually said is I'm glad he's here next season because he has a fantastic record at Championship level. That's a fact. 

There were people saying that Neil Adams wouldn't have the mettle in the club's transfer dealings yet Webber is running scared from those well-known media hardmen...Paddy Davitt and Rob Butler?

Oh dear.

4 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I must admit I think the PinkUn has been a bit sneaky here (perhaps understandably) the quotes in the article do not reflect the overall tone of the interview at all. I'm not blaming them for that, they're perfectly entitled to do that having been snubbed.

But everyone on here needs to listen to the full interview and not just read the selected quotes before making a judgement.

Having previously been really impressed by Webber I was firmly in the get him out group after the poor performance this season and in particular some of his own ill judged  decisions and quotes (see Times interview).

This interview has brought me back on side to some degree. There are still some idiotic comments in there but I suppose he is just being honest. Most importantly I do think he genuinely wants to do what is best for the club (even if that is just to secure his own longer term career). I also think we need strong characters to run the club and to at least some extent ignore the fans passionate but knee jerk reactions (just beacuasre we love the club more doesnt mean we are best informed).

I'm now back to being willing to give him a chance - he has this transfer window to establish a team that is fighting for promotiion and to prove that the appointment of Smith was the right decision. If that isnt the case after 10 games he should leave and his replacement should in turn be choosing the next manager.

Good post. Might need a bit more than 10 games to see where we're at though. Last championship campaign the first few games was full of people saying Farke didn't stand a chance of getting us promoted again. We then won the title at a canter.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

There were people saying that Neil Adams wouldn't have the mettle in the club's transfer dealings yet Webber is running scared from those well-known media hardmen...Paddy Davitt and Rob Butler?

Oh dear.

Yeah, I bet the reason is that he's petrified of them.

He's definitely being disingenuous when he acknowledges that fans are unhappy because we were relegated and because we can't compete with Liverpool. He knows damn well that's not the case, it's because we managed a paltry 22 points, roughly the same total as last time with a -61 goal difference and looked utterly inept in 80% of the games this year.

• Thanks 2

Just now, hogesar said:

Yeah, I bet the reason is that he's petrified of them.

Do you? Very interesting. Still, he gave an interview to someone who he could fire if he so wished, that's more than Watford and Burnley have done, so big pat on the back to him for that. Hero.

• Like 2

Looks like he's doing one part of his job very well at the moment...drawing all the fire. 

Apples

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, 1902 said:

Then you are tougher than me. I don't think I felt that way until February. After that it just got depressing.

Watford at home was dead though, even after Pukki equalised.  Those are the games at the forefront of my mind, particularly in relation to what Webber was referring to.

More I think back, anxieties with covid precautions didn't help the atmosphere.... I personally felt more timid than usual being in that environment and there wasn't many moments to 'lose yourself' and feel 'normal', if that's the right word?

Even before and after games wasn't the same, as we have to travel up we stop and get some food and drink and make more of a day of it.  But that vibe didn't really exist outside the ground either.

Just looking forward to next season really, the more I process this.

Let's be honest, he was going to get ridiculed whatever he was going to say.

95% of what he said was completely reasonable. 5% was probably too honest and will be (has already been) taken out of context to ridicule him.

As mentioned by others, I'd prefer a Sporting Director who speaks honestly at set points throughout the season than those at other clubs who rarely speak, apart from the usual waffle. 

His PR has been pretty poor - and I would've respected him more if he'd spoken to the local journos - but, from what I can see, he's generally done a good job since being here and he looks determined to get us back in the PL.

Getting behind him and the team next season will help them perform. People need to get over themselves.

Edited by Yellow and Green
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

People need to get over themselves.

On this we definitely agree. It's just who fits into the "People" bucket where we are disaligned; top of the list is undoubtedly Stuart Webber.

Honestly, avoiding local Norwich journalists. Looks like it wasn't just the football team lacking a solid spine this season.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

The question is, is he good at his job? The tweet thread you shared from Bethnal makes an interesting point that most Sporting Directors aren't in the media to anywhere near the extent Webber is. That is his choice, he's clearly chosen from day one to make media & fan relations part of his job. In this respect he's failing miserably.

I'd argue this is where the real problem - it isn't his choice!  It's the lack of a proper Chairperson / CEO that has forced him to be the media focal point for the club, he has opted for the role but is proving himself to be inept at it whilst believing he knows what he is doing. 

If there was a proper bloody structure at the club with appropriate accountability, it would have been the CEO fronting that interview and there would probably not have been such a bloody poor season they would have been reporting on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I fear those pinning their hopes on the fact that he did a great (let's be honest, a f*cking fantastic) job with our previous two promotions will be sorely disappointed. For me, something has happened to him that's changed him irrevocably. Drunk on his own ego maybe, some form of breakdown, but the old Webber that did such a great job for us is gone and not coming back. What we're left with is a busted flush.

Without an independent Chair / CEO he only answers to his wife.  He isn't being held properly accountable, that's where his performance has suffered.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think he's very aware of his 'personal brand' and wants to make himself as high profile as possible. Nothing wrong with that per se but he needs to get better at this part. 

Today proves he is not very good at it!  It was done with the right intentions but he's so, so clumsy at it!

Imagine the scenario if Stu was the DoF at his beloved Leeds United.....and they went down in the same whimpering manner as we did?....I personally don't think he'd get an easy ride at Elland Road....Or be allowed to pursue other ventures and to be the ascent of man with the Doirty Leedz Owner's blessing....

Mr Webber is very fortunate that he's DoF of 'Ho Hum' NCFC....Other club's and their Owner's and their support would be less tolerant or forgiving....There would be more than 20 so called duffers holding up a manky bed sheet....and he certainly wouldn't be blowin' kisses at them....

He'd be collecting his P45 before he attempted K2....

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Honestly, avoiding local Norwich journalists. Looks like it wasn't just the football team lacking a solid spine this season.

I'm quite ignorant on the sporting director role, but are we expecting him to talk as a chairman if we take the stance that he's ducking journalists?

I've always seen the role as being more internal, and not what I'd considered a public facing or club spokesman style role.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I have my issues with Webber, I'm not sure I support him remaining but I can't think what he could say that wouldn't **** off those who think he should definitely leave.

He shouldn't have been doing it!  An independent Board Chairperson or the CEO should have been doing it!  C'mon Smith & Jones, surely you can see what a mess you've made, sort it out soonest!

17 hours ago, 1902 said:

I have my issues with Webber, I'm not sure I support him remaining but I can't think what he could say that wouldn't **** off those who think he should definitely leave.

As someone who has been convinced for a good while that Webber should go you are probably right that there is little he could have said that would have changed my mind but a proper interview with a knowledgeable journalist asking some searching questions which he answered honestly and more importantly with some real insight about what went wrong and why, and why next season isn't going to be just more of the same..............that would, at least, have been food for thought even amongst us sceptics.

But what we actually got was a combination of delusional drivel and complete denial (since he can't possibly be unaware) of his own responsibility for much of what has gone wrong this season.

So in my case the effect is to strongly re-inforce my belief that we need to get rid immediately - before the interview the prospect of him overseeing another summer window of recruitment was rather depressing, after the interview I think it has become genuinely scary just how damage he may do to the club before the board finally comes to its senses.

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I'm quite ignorant on the sporting director role, but are we expecting him to talk as a chairman if we take the stance that he's ducking journalists?

I've always seen the role as being more internal, and not what I'd considered a public facing or club spokesman style role.

We don't have a Chairman. And who do you think drove the changes that leave us with the structure we have? He has fronted up to the media since he arrived, he made it his job. But now he's been demonstrably sh*t he's hiding from it.

Doing a pathetic, staged interview with an employee isn't what you'd normally expect from an SD, yet here we are.

Busted. Flush.

4 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

He shouldn't have been doing it!  An independent Board Chairperson or the CEO should have been doing it!  C'mon Smith & Jones, surely you can see what a mess you've made, sort it out soonest!

ASAP.

14 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Without an independent Chair / CEO he only answers to his wife.  He isn't being held properly accountable, that's where his performance has suffered.

Agreed, an independent chair or CEO might have just said back in November;

"You want to sack Farke? Are we sure it's his fault or have you ballsed up the playing squad again?"

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Whenever I've seen a football club put a barrier up between them and the local press it means things aren't good behind the scenes. 

To fall out with Archant is one thing, their relationship has always been mutual beneficial hasn't it... Archant get news to sell papers/drive traffic to websites, the club gets free column inches... people pay good money for column inches. 

But to refuse interviews with the BBC is a whole other level of madness, and why? Just because there has been some criticism directed towards Webber from some guests? Feels somewhat Putinesque (plus we've had Butler and Lappin kissing his backside recently, so hardly all one sided).

Mike Ashley was known to ban journalists for negative coverage, he banned 3 local papers for covering a protest march. Its dangerous territory, I never thought our club was like that. 

Lee Power banned journalists at Swindon and all interviews were conducted in-house, he essentially said no money = no access. But even he made an exception for the BBC, a public sector broadcaster.

I'd find it amusing if it were solely an Archant tiff, its clear that he's actually battening up the hatches / becoming insular. Its alarming. 

I agree it is alarming, but I don't think it is deliberate on Webber's part, I just think he knows a little about PR but doesn't know a lot.  So he knows you can get the point you want to make in a "friendly" interview, but forgets that potentially that is not what fans and the media want!  The alarming bit is that there should be someone at the club that realises this and takes the responsibility away from him - an independent Chairperson with media experience and a strong CEO with good communication skills.  The lack of at least one of these positions is the alarmin thing!

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

"You want to sack Farke? Are we sure it's his fault or have you ballsed up the playing squad again?"

100% this is what the club needed. 

Maybe Delia asked Zoe her opinion and she thought it was the manager letting her husband the sporting director down?! 🙂

Thing is, why haven't we got that structure in place.  Is it a cost saver? Lack of external personnel willing to come in? Delia & MWJ Deliberately wanting to keep it under their 'cozy' wrap?

I haven't a clue personally, but you've hit the nail on the head on what needed to be asked at that point in the season.

Edited by Google Bot

Just now, Google Bot said:

100% this is what the club needed.  Maybe Delia asked Zoe her opinion and she thought it was the manager letting her husband the sporting director down?! 🙂

Thing is, why haven't we got that structure in place.  Is it a cost saver? Lack of external personnel willing to come in? Delia & MWJ Deliberately wanting to keep it under their 'cozy' wrap?

I haven't a clue personally, but you've hit the nail on the head on what needed to be asked at that point in the season.

I'm not a Delia Outer, I think they've done a brilliant job as custodians of the club. But she's not without her flaws and has a tendency to be too trusting of people and gets too personally involved with key personnel at the club. At least twice she's had a cosy knees up with Webber and Ward at Merchants of Spice 2, on one occasion with the latter's child present, so hardly a work meeting with food a la Keir Starmer.

I suspect Webber doesn't want anyone above him and has told Delia and MWJ as much and they've said, "Whatever you say Stuart, now, shall we split a portion of bhajis?"

• Like 1

Watched all 33 minutes of the interview.

Webber's remit was to establish Norwich City in the Premier League. He's failed. Twice. 21 & 22 points. Barely over half-way to survival.

In the Championship, brilliant. Two winners trophies. Fantastic.

Developed the training ground. Great. Developed a pathway for youngsters into the first team. Terrific.

As for his comments. No, fans didn't give up early on. The players did - see the two home defeats to Watford and Leeds.

Did the majority applaud the team after the last game? No. Just me and a handful of others. It was awkward for all concerned.

Is the press to blame for the team's failings? No.

Should Webber stay on? His record is success in the Championship and failure in the Premier League.

Logically, if we want to establish Norwich City in the Premier League we should look elsewhere for a Sporting Director. However,  the board may be happy with this cycle of success and failure.

I expected him to be more annoying to be honest. There is some stuff he says I agree with and I’m still not sure whether I trust anyone at the club to do what needs doing this summer if he goes. 

However at no point in that interview does he appear to accept responsibility. Our transfer business was “alright” apparently. We spread ourselves too thinly in terms of signings because we can't afford to take a risk? That makes no sense at all as we actually took more of a risk by relying on too many unproven players.

it’s the model, it’s covid, it’s bad luck, it’s the fans and media “going in” on them and giving up after 4 games. Everything except those at the club doing a sh*t job it seems! 

Edited by Jim Smith

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I suspect Webber doesn't want anyone above him and has told Delia and MWJ as much and they've said, "Whatever you say Stuart, now, shall we split a portion of bhajis?"

Now you're just making me hungry, how do I join this special club?! 🙂

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Fully paid up so don’t make assumptions. I had to cut out the middleman though as he was at his most helpful best (once again) I know you’ll do isolated unblocks though and read this as your ego wouldn’t allow otherwise. 

What are you talking about!