cambridgeshire canary

Webbers full interview, out now

Just now, Google Bot said:

Are people that fragile that they think he's blaming fans? 

He's explaining how they failed on the pitch in the opening games, and how confidence towards the team drained incredibly quickly despite the previous season success.  And he's right, it's been dead at home most of this season, loved going back - but equally it's been frustrating.

So why people are pretending that we were all bouncing and rallying behind the players is beyond me? Think back to the **** players like Gilmour and Cantwell received from "Fans".

You're basically lying to yourselves, and your posting history is damning if you want to go down that route - Only a few people here truly stood out at defending the cause. (LDC etc.).  I was saying I had full belief early on, but I never truly felt it.

I agree with this elements of this.

Being uncompetitive leads to crap reactions from fans. That's part and parcel of being a fan of your football club, keeping the excitement going through some of the rubbish we have seen this year is impossible.

The question is whether you think he is blaming us. I'm not sure he is, it's just another example of Webber speaking a truth when he should probably be silent.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I for one am absolutely flabbergasted to discover that PL points are available based on the fans enthusiasm within the stands. Who knew 🤷‍♂️

If only we knew we would have all stuck on a morph suit and danced for 90 minutes solid right!!!!! 😂

Someone get the drum!!!!!! 🥁

54 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm the same. He does say stuff which I almost wonder if it's designed to wind up the people he wants to wind up. A little immature, but equally a little funny. 🙂

He is some fine Angler alright. So good in fact, that he gets bites from the same fish time and time again. If he reads this forum, which I doubt, then he'll be chuckling to himself at the outrage. I don't think he wants to be loved, he wants to be successful and those two things don't necessarily go hand in hand....and I doubt it bothers him one iota.

• Like 1

Lots of fans angered by the giving up thing. Now, I don’t want to go thread trawling but fairly sure there were some lively predictions of us being worse than that Derby side that got 11 points before we’d played 10 games.

I think he has a point, but could have worded it more carefully. I think fans in the ground were resigned to relegation earlier than in any previous occurrence. But ultimately that just reflects what is seen on the pitch, which he also alludes to. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I didn’t think it was that bad an interview tbh, this feud between him and Archant is becoming quite the sideshow though. 

• Like 2

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

FB_IMG_1653568569070.jpg

I think that if they are going to discuss the interview then they should play it first. If they think he's being obtuse, then they shouldn't ' play the same game'.

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Thought I'd approach with an open mind

I've paused it at 4 minutes 17 seconds in.

He's blaming the fans for not making Carrow Road a difficult place to visit

Tell you what Webber, why don't you just sling ya hook.

It's absolutely fine to say that you don't like the man and don't think he should be here, but there was nothing he could reasonably say that wouldn't have aggravated you if you think he is responsible:

Webber says

Recruitment good: 'hes deluded'

Recruitment bad: 'hes admitted he's at fault, he should go"

Atmosphere good: 'he is blind to the empty seats and thinks we can be taken for fools'

Atmosphere bad: 'its the fans fault'

I have my issues with Webber, I'm not sure I support him remaining but I can't think what he could say that wouldn't **** off those who think he should definitely leave.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 4

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

Lots of fans angered by the giving up thing. Now, I don’t want to go thread trawling but fairly sure there were some lively predictions of us being worse than that Derby side that got 11 points before we’d played 10 games.

This, this and this. 

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Are people that fragile that they think he's blaming fans? 

He's explaining how they failed on the pitch in the opening games, and how confidence towards the team drained incredibly quickly despite the previous season success.  And he's right, it's been dead at home most of this season, loved going back - but equally it's been frustrating.

So why people are pretending that we were all bouncing and rallying behind the players is beyond me? Think back to the **** players like Gilmour and Cantwell received from "Fans".

You're basically lying to yourselves, and your posting history is damning if you want to go down that route - Only a few people here truly stood out at defending the cause. (LDC etc.).  I was saying I had full belief early on, but I never truly felt it.

This is spot on. I think back to Watford at home early on in the season, after we had our incredibly difficult start, at 1-1 in that game it was clearly the moment for the crowd to really get behind the team and try to push them on. What happened instead was that the ground was basically silent, and then Watford went on to score. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Being uncompetitive leads to crap reactions from fans. That's part and parcel of being a fan of your football club, keeping the excitement going through some of the rubbish we have seen this year is impossible.

It's not impossible at all, you go up there and you support your team.  People are ****ing depressed walking in to the ground, I speak to people and wonder why they even bother going, and it's basically cause they want to keep their seat that they've paid for... For what reason?!? For when we win?!

Does my nut in.  I'd rather have been in the away end for most matches this season.

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I think that if they are going to discuss the interview then they should play it first. If they think he's being obtuse, then they shouldn't ' play the same game'.

That's actually copyright infringement without express permission from the club, they'd only be able to play short clips for editorial purposes, something like 30 seconds I think?

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's a coward

Thought Leeds fans had more balls to be honest

Those are the ones with that little extra bit about them.... Some call it that extra 10% 

4 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I didn’t think it was that bad an interview tbh, this feud between him and Archant is becoming quite the sideshow though. 

Its not just Archant though, if he's also refusing interviews with BBC Radio Norfolk?

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

It's not impossible at all, you go up there and you support your team.  People are ****ing depressed walking in to the ground, I speak to people and wonder why they even bother going, and it's basically cause they want to keep their seat that they've paid for... For what reason?!? For when we win?!

Does my nut in.  I'd rather have been in the away end for most matches this season.

Then you are tougher than me. I don't think I felt that way until February. After that it just got depressing.

The reaction after the first few games was overkill though.

7 minutes ago, 1902 said:

It's absolutely fine to say that you don't like the man and don't think he should be there, but there was nothing he could reasonably say that wouldn't have aggravated you if you think he is responsible

History (at other clubs) tells us that things are not rosy when clubs start trying to distance themselves from the local press.

That is the thing which sets alarm bells ringing most for me.

Also, as for things he could "reasonably say", please don't forget that he chose the questions to this interview, its a propaganda piece. I'll judge it accordingly, and could be more forgiving if the answers weren't pre-written and rehearsed. 

Its a bit embarrassing that some fans are accepting this video as the Webber interview we were promised. Marcus Evans was the last person I saw pull this out of the bag, at around the time the TWTD chap was banned from Portman Road. I fear that things are worse behind the scenes than we know.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Honestly think there is a real over reaction with some of the complaining about Webber.

And now this PinkUn live stream just comes across as them having a good old moan that they don't have a good relationship with the club at the moment (rightly or wrongly).

Edited by ncfcstar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its not just Archant though, if he's also refusing interviews with BBC Radio Norfolk?

I was just talking about the PinkUn tweets of “key lines” that appeared to have been perhaps framed to be slightly inflammatory.

The interview also appeared to have been recorded Monday? (Sure he referred to the Spurs game as “yesterday”?) So the refusal to give RN an interview might be as simple as him being away? Although why they wouldn’t just say that…

• Thanks 1

Is there any chance people could listen to it properly and not take out small phrases out of sentences?  It's easy to latch on to little phrases and plonk your agenda on to it. Try and be honest with your appraisal with what he says, not just lay into him because three words within a sentence happen to fit with what you think. Context is everything.

I thought it was a typical Webber interview, bullish, honrest and believing he's done the right thing with the way he's approached the season. Wouldn't have expected any different.

Could he have commented on individual players?  Probably not a good idea when those players are still at the club. Could he have commented on the loan players he got? Maybe....but then he could also have commented on fans getting on the loan players backs, which would have stirred the pot more.

So overall a fairly well balanced interview. Certainly the proof of the pudding is as he said - what happens next season - the young players do well, we get one or two new players for Smith and we are high up the table and it will look a whole lot better than it does right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I thought it was a typical Webber interview

It doesn't qualify as an interview in my eyes. 

How about an interview with an independent third party, with questions which aren't pre-screened. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How about an interview with an independent third party, with questions which aren't pre-screened. 

People weren't demanding an interview from him though. All they've been demanding is that the 'club speaks'. They've done that, on their own terms of course.

IF Webber is focusing on putting the club first then I wouldn't expect him to do a third party interview, where would that benefit the club?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Of course it's an interview. He's been given the opportunity to speak and he's spoken. He could do an interview with a third party and could get questions he doesn't like, but he's quite adept at handling difficult questions, so it doesn't make any difference imo. He's got his point of view across and that is it. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

People weren't demanding an interview from him though. All they've been demanding is that the 'club speaks'. They've done that, on their own terms of course.

IF Webber is focusing on putting the club first then I wouldn't expect him to do a third party interview, where would that benefit the club?

Whenever I've seen a football club put a barrier up between them and the local press it means things aren't good behind the scenes. 

To fall out with Archant is one thing, their relationship has always been mutual beneficial hasn't it... Archant get news to sell papers/drive traffic to websites, the club gets free column inches... people pay good money for column inches. 

But to refuse interviews with the BBC is a whole other level of madness, and why? Just because there has been some criticism directed towards Webber from some guests? Feels somewhat Putinesque (plus we've had Butler and Lappin kissing his backside recently, so hardly all one sided).

Mike Ashley was known to ban journalists for negative coverage, he banned 3 local papers for covering a protest march. Its dangerous territory, I never thought our club was like that. 

Lee Power banned journalists at Swindon and all interviews were conducted in-house, he essentially said no money = no access. But even he made an exception for the BBC, a public sector broadcaster.

I'd find it amusing if it were solely an Archant tiff, its clear that he's actually battening up the hatches / becoming insular. Its alarming. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Haters are gonna hate I suppose.

Club lickspittles have gotta lick spittle....I suppose.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Gilmour is exactly the kind of player who we would do well with in the Championship. In a team who are on the front foot, he would probably do well. In a relegation battle when you have about 0.23%, possession, he is a liability.

You think we will be a team predominantly on the front foot next season?

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I like him. Plenty on here are about to use that against me, of course. 

The fans comment was unneccessary but I'd rather him say what he thinks, even if it's going to upset a few people. He did say the entire club lost belief, not just the fans. 

He could quite easily have done the usual relegation interview but he decided to be open and honest again. He'll be criticised by the same people, their opinion isn't going to change.

Primarily, I'm glad it looks like he's staying and the rest is just noise.

Is there anything about the club you don't like or anyone you think isn't up to it, or even just had their day? Not saying this to get a rise, I just genuinely wonder.

I'm not one of these 'sack everyone' when it goes wrong types but he can't keep going on about the training ground forever when the team looks so poor.

I must admit I think the PinkUn has been a bit sneaky here (perhaps understandably) the quotes in the article do not reflect the overall tone of the interview at all. I'm not blaming them for that, they're perfectly entitled to do that having been snubbed.

But everyone on here needs to listen to the full interview and not just read the selected quotes before making a judgement.

Having previously been really impressed by Webber I was firmly in the get him out group after the poor performance this season and in particular some of his own ill judged  decisions and quotes (see Times interview).

This interview has brought me back on side to some degree. There are still some idiotic comments in there but I suppose he is just being honest. Most importantly I do think he genuinely wants to do what is best for the club (even if that is just to secure his own longer term career). I also think we need strong characters to run the club and to at least some extent ignore the fans passionate but knee jerk reactions (just beacuasre we love the club more doesnt mean we are best informed).

I'm now back to being willing to give him a chance - he has this transfer window to establish a team that is fighting for promotiion and to prove that the appointment of Smith was the right decision. If that isnt the case after 10 games he should leave and his replacement should in turn be choosing the next manager.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

@nutty nigel 

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting the same people who didn't like him before to still not like him. No interview he done, nothing he could have said to have actually changed that. For me it's about next season and certainly at that level I rate him.

I am one of those who has never warmed to the guy and this clip has not really changed my view in any material way:  

i don't take his arrogant and abrasive nature as indicating that he has any uncommon ability or unusually high commitment or passion for this particular club;

I am not sure (but happy to be corrected) that he really deserves all the credit for off the field things, such as the academy redevelopment, that happened on his watch but may have had many parents and may have been conceived long before his employment.

And I don't see how this season  is anything other than as bad as it could reasonably have been

But.... his record at the new level does suggest to me that he should be given the opportunity to continue.  He should be grateful for that opportunity and may want to reflect on that (although perhaps not when he is hanging from a rope in the mountains)

• Like 1

I’ve spent 6 mins on it. And it just sounds like the same interview he trotted out post 19/20. 

There’s nothing to suggest anything will change. Just the tired line of “we go again”. Yeah but how about “we sit down, work out where the failures were and then we go again.” As the Jamal Lewis Newcastle quote in that excellent Bailey article points out, there needs to be a better approach to learn from past mistakes not just on the pitch but off it too rather than that tired line of “we dust down go again.” Fu(k off. Learn something from it.

Edited by Danke bitte
Anger