Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Surprising to hear there's been no interest in Rashica whatsoever! He didn't exactly cover himself in glory last season admittedly but thought we'd have had a few enquiries

Interesting that he's said to be 'fully committed' to us and the championship 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Interesting that he's said to be 'fully committed' to us and the championship 

Thats because no one wants to buy him. Funny how players change their minds (if true).

38 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Thats because no one wants to buy him. Funny how players change their minds (if true).

Smith is hardly likely to say he's not training well and his attitude is rubbish though... especially if he is one of a few saleable assets

21 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Smith is hardly likely to say he's not training well and his attitude is rubbish though... especially if he is one of a few saleable assets

Clearly not, there would be no benefit to that for club nor player.

Edited by jaberry2

19 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Championship winning players like McLean, Dowell and Gibson you mean? Are they that average?

Yes, in my opinion they are.... they wouldn't have won no championship two seasons ago without Buendia, Skipp, Pukki and Farke... thats an absolute certainty.    They are bang nowhere near average in the EPL and if that is where we aspire we will need to replace them well before the event.... like now!   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Yes, in my opinion they are.... they wouldn't have won no championship two seasons ago without Buendia, Skipp, Pukki and Farke... thats an absolute certainty.    They are bang nowhere near average in the EPL and if that is where we aspire we will need to replace them well before the event.... like now!   

Teams don't win a league with a 46 game seasons with large numbers of bang average players very often.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

https://www.footmercato.net/a7646604695950683053-asse-denis-bouanga-proche-de-la-mls

Foot Mercato (fairly reliable) suggests we were in for Denis Bouanga. 9 goals, 6 assists from left wing for Ligue 1 club Saint Etienne. Seems though he prefers the bright lights of Los Angeles to Norwich. 

Yes just reading similar article saying he doesn't want [play in Championship, and looks set to join Los Angeles FC

http://sportwitness.co.uk/norwich-city-seriously-followed-player-preparing-leave-club-summer/ 

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

We conceded 36 goals in 46 goals that season. Farkeball was built on a great defence, which Gibson was central to. Disrespectful to say he was carried in that team. Dowell’s goals to starts ratio was better than Buendia albeit over a shorter period. We faulted near the end and his form was a big part of getting us over the line. Notable contributions against Derby, Huddersfield and QPR.

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Just goes to show what Norwich are up against when even their own fans are delusional to think that championship winning players aren't good enough for a championship campaign and will only be happy if proven premier league players are brought in, which we neither could afford nor attract due to us being in the championship.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Just goes to show what Norwich are up against when even their own fans are delusional to think that championship winning players aren't good enough for a championship campaign and will only be happy if proven premier league players are brought in, which we neither could afford nor attract due to us being in the championship.

If you read any of my posts this summer you might understand my argument.  Nothing to do with affording proven Players, we can’t do that, which is exactly why we need to develop them and the lads that clearly and evidently can’t cope in the EPL need to be replaced by lads who can develop into better than what we have.   

If we get to the EPL this season we can’t replace all of these players for exactly the reason you state.     We don’t have the money…. The £100m pot of dosh  doesn’t go very far as no doubt you know, having witnessed our recent  efforts.   

If your going to criticise my point answer this simple question.    How do you bridge the gap next summer if we get promoted.   Would put my house on a non-answer!   Go on have a go!     Our fans are delusional if they think this squad is any where near EPL level.     

Hope that clarifies…. and if developing a few extra players takes two seasons then the timing of a promotion may well be better then than next year!  Not delusional but sensible in my opinion and I’m entitled to that!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If you read any of my posts this summer you might understand my argument.  Nothing to do with affording proven Players, we can’t do that, which is exactly why we need to develop them and the lads that clearly and evidently can’t cope in the EPL need to be replaced by lads who can develop into better than what we have.   

If we get to the EPL this season we can’t replace all of these players for exactly the reason you state.     We don’t have the money…. The £100m pot of dosh  doesn’t go very far as no doubt you know, having witnessed our recent  efforts.   

If your going to criticise my point answer this simple question.    How do you bridge the gap next summer if we get promoted.   Would put my house on a non-answer!   Go on have a go!     Our fans are delusional if they think this squad is any where near EPL level.     

Hope that clarifies…. and if developing a few extra players takes two seasons then the timing of a promotion may well be better then than next year!  Not delusional but sensible in my opinion and I’m entitled to that!   

It's the same fantasy about a mystical set of players who are going to miraculously develop into a PL quality side. Care to identify some actual players who should replace those you label as "bang average"?

8 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

What is this 100 million pot you are talking about?

Both Farke and Smith have reputation for bringing through young players. If these young players aren’t ready, then they aren’t ready. Hijacking a perfectly winnable campaign to play players who aren’t as effective as seasoned winners (which they are) isn’t sensible, it’s negligent.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Soto and Martin are training with the squad or even the development squad?

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

Teams don't win a league with a 46 game seasons with large numbers of bang average players very often.

Interesting how you added ‘large numbers’ (of bang average players) to make you feel better about that contribution!    Well done.

I don’t think those particular few players will make our starting XI any better but we’ve got to speculate to get a deeper squad of better players if we have ambitions of coping in the EPL.    In the absence of money that means developing players and we can’t do that if certain Championship quality players get in the way….      

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Does anyone know if Soto and Martin are training with the squad or even the development squad?

No chance Soto will be with the first team and I highly doubt Martin will be. Not this close to the real season starting.

Here's a recent training vid for you to trawl through if you're interested.

34 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

No chance Soto will be with the first team and I highly doubt Martin will be. Not this close to the real season starting.

Here's a recent training vid for you to trawl through if you're interested.

Josh Martin will end up out on loan again, clearly wanted a fee but nobody came forward with one. 

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Josh Martin will end up out on loan again, clearly wanted a fee but nobody came forward with one. 

Same with Soto, I think. Both out of contract next summer, so if we're unable to sell them in this window then realistically they'll be able to sign a pre-contract elsewhere in January. Neither of them will feature for our first team again.

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

As far as I’m aware we’re trying to get rid of them as they’re out of contract next summer and not in Smith’s plans for this season 

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

It's the same fantasy about a mystical set of players who are going to miraculously develop into a PL quality side. Care to identify some actual players who should replace those you label as "bang average"?

Not only that, but it's not like we are the only team trying to do it. Hence it is becoming harder and harder to spot those players before big bucks get thrown around.

We can go back to Srbeny, who was vastly cheaper than a League One or Two prospect, which is why we bought him.

Now we are not able to even try and find those sort of players abroad. We are having to look at players on the fringes of international sides that teams higher up don't feel play at a high enough level to take the gamble on.

I really don't think a lot of people realise how much harder it has become now. We can rarely fish in the top tiers abroad of the leagues traditionally seen as the safer hunting grounds for transfers to play in England.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

As far as I’m aware we’re trying to get rid of them as they’re out of contract next summer and not in Smith’s plans for this season 

Martin isn't - pretty sure that was in an article. 

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Same with Soto, I think. Both out of contract next summer, so if we're unable to sell them in this window then realistically they'll be able to sign a pre-contract elsewhere in January. Neither of them will feature for our first team again.

Both under 24, so unless we gave them our blessing, we could go to tribunal for minimal fees if we wanted to go through the effort. I suspect not though if no one is prepared to spend the money on them in the first instance.

5 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If your going to criticise my point answer this simple question.    How do you bridge the gap next summer if we get promoted.   Would put my house on a non-answer!   Go on have a go!  

Ged, you had several answers to this in other threads but you have either not read them, not realised they were answers to your questions or forgotten them.

But just for sh1ts and giggles, I will repeat mine. We have some PL quality players now - Pukki, Hanley and Krul are three. If we buy a couple of PL quality players this season (we know Hayden played regularly for Newcastle in the PL and we hope one or both of Sara and Nunez will be) and two or three when we go up, then that gives us enough of a nucleus to have a proper go at staying up. Yes, other squad members won’t be really up to PL standard, but they will be good enough with the support of players who are to form a decent team. After all, no teams (even Forest!) completely replace their whole squad upon promotion, so they are using a number of non-PL players but some still manage to stay up. 

There, that’s an answer (that has already been posted in another thread). You don’t have to agree with it, but please stop this “no-one ever answers my questions” stuff. It’s not true.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, chicken said:

Both under 24, so unless we gave them our blessing, we could go to tribunal for minimal fees if we wanted to go through the effort. I suspect not though if no one is prepared to spend the money on them in the first instance.

Yeah tribunals generally need the team in question to offer the player a new deal at the same terms they are already on. Doubt we'd bother and risk signing a player we don't want for longer in order to maybe get a minimal fee.

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Ged, you had several answers to this in other threads but you have either not read them, not realised they were answers to your questions or forgotten them.

But just for sh1ts and giggles, I will repeat mine. We have some PL quality players now - Pukki, Hanley and Krul are three. If we buy a couple of PL quality players this season (we know Hayden played regularly for Newcastle in the PL and we hope one or both of Sara and Nunez will be) and two or three when we go up, then that gives us enough of a nucleus to have a proper go at staying up. Yes, other squad members won’t be really up to PL standard, but they will be good enough with the support of players who are to form a decent team. After all, no teams (even Forest!) completely replace their whole squad upon promotion, so they are using a number of non-PL players but some still manage to stay up. 

There, that’s an answer (that has already been posted in another thread). You don’t have to agree with it, but please stop this “no-one ever answers my questions” stuff. It’s not true.

The weird thing is he hasn't seemed to listen to a word of the club's own very clear explanation of its "self-funding strategy". When Alex Neil's team were relegated from the PL the club was in serious debt and in real danger of falling into administration. Ed Balls gave an excellent long interview with Radio Norfolk in which he announced that a top to bottom review of every aspect of the NCFC business structure would take place before a new managerial team would be appointed. The self-funding model was duly announced and the key appointments of Webber and Farke secured. The subsequent success of that model speaks for itself (no debt and two promotions). A key concept of that model is the notion of becoming a "top 26 club". It is both aspirational and, crucially, the only realistic plan for the club to achieve established PL status. Until a beneficent billionaire turns up ready to splash 2-3 hundred million on players (not something the club could possibly plan for) the club's only plausible strategy for generating the cash required is two-fold; to achieve promotion, and to develop young talent capable of demanding high transfer fees. The "top 26"  aspiration was very specifically adopted precisely because the club was realistic and honest in its recognition that a single promotion would still leave the club short of the sort of funds needed to compete with PL clubs funded by billionaires and massive debts. Yo-yoing between the PL and Championship is built into the plan not as a desirable outcome, but as a near inevitable part of a process of building up the financial resources required for achieving established PL status. We were able to spend an enormous amount of money last time we went up (by our own benchmark)  precisely because of the self-funding model. No one should conflate the fact of that record spending with the subsequent reality that the players bought didn't prove capable of keeping us up. 

The idea that we should abandon players proven to be Championship winners and promote less capable academy players to the first team in their place, spending years "consolidating" in the Championship in the hope that those players develop into PL superstars, is frankly insane. Firstly, there are no grounds at all for believing such a team could be formed; we have already seen that a single academy only very rarely produces PL quality players (witness the top six with their massive academies). Secondly, such a team would by definition contain no players with any PL experience, thus would be far worse off in that respect than our current squad. Perhaps most importantly of all, spending years in the Championship would result in a massive loss of funds. Any young talent capable of competing in the PL that we did develop would have to be sold off to keep the club solvent. Thus the idea that we could develop a young squad over several years capable of promotion and consolidating itself in the PL is nothing more than pure fantasy.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah tribunals generally need the team in question to offer the player a new deal at the same terms they are already on. Doubt we'd bother and risk signing a player we don't want for longer in order to maybe get a minimal fee.

There's no generally about it; to get a fee at a tribunal for a player under the age of 24 who is out of contract, their current club must offer a new contract on equal or greater terms, and I believe the deadline for doing this is the third Saturday in May, which is the same date as the retained list must be submitted.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Do they? Or could we just be in talks? I'm pretty sure if those players reject contract offers it's the same deal isn't it? I do think it's likely we'll let them go for free though if nothing transpires this summer.

That'll be a bit of a hard one to swallow for people who felt Martin should be pushing for a starting place here. 

16 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

I miss the days when we had posters on here saying Soto should start ahead of Pukki based on nothing aside from liking the sound of his name and a goal they saw on YouTube against a Dutch Lidl XI

They were fun times

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kirku said:

I miss the days when we had posters on here saying Soto should start ahead of Pukki based on nothing aside from liking the sound of his name and a goal they saw on YouTube against a Dutch Lidl XI

They were fun times

Don’t worry, something similar will be along in the next few months.