Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

On Football Insider twitter account, they are saying we are after Plymouth Argyle keeper Michael Cooper. 22 years old & he won the golden glove award for this season. 

25 minutes ago, Top corner said:

On Football Insider twitter account, they are saying we are after Plymouth Argyle keeper Michael Cooper. 22 years old & he won the golden glove award for this season. 

£7.5m is an overestimate, Argyle only looking for 2m. 

51 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Do wonder if Krul is off, and Mcgovern is getting on a bit.. Would he be happy jonining us to be second fiddle to Gunn though?

48 minutes ago, Top corner said:

I mean - I'm torn. He sounds full of promise. I wouldn't have said a goalkeeper is on the list though. 

52 minutes ago, Top corner said:

This is the kind of signing that would start to restore my confidence in our recruitment team. Which is why I'm pretty dubious about us being interested considering recent transfer windows.

Hourihane's Villa contract expires this Summer.  Surely an opption for Deano.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I like the idea of buying players who have performed really well in the lower league's, just a few who can fit in amongst more experienced player's. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I mean - I'm torn. He sounds full of promise. I wouldn't have said a goalkeeper is on the list though. 

If Mcgovern leaves and or moves into coaching and Krul goes (which sadly seems likely gives his wages ) and the only keeper we get left with is some academy keepers and Gunn might be good to get a solid keeper in. You forgotton our keeper injury crisis last time in the champs already?

Not sure I could see us taking millions from the budget for a 22yo keeper, with a raft of similar-aged prospects already in-house- Barden, McCracken and Mair are all 21.

Unless we're absolutely certain he's an absolutely clear upgrade on Gunn, and this is assuming Krul is off.

Sounds promising, and would create a good battle for the No.1 goalie spot (if Krul is leaving)

I've read to day Smith has dismissed the Kipre link

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do wonder if Krul is off, and Mcgovern is getting on a bit.. Would he be happy jonining us to be second fiddle to Gunn though?

Weird career move at that age, give up first team football and development.

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Not sure I could see us taking millions from the budget for a 22yo keeper, with a raft of similar-aged prospects already in-house- Barden, McCracken and Mair are all 21.

Unless we're absolutely certain he's an absolutely clear upgrade on Gunn, and this is assuming Krul is off.

Difference in them being this lad has had a full season in league one and won the golden glove, whereas, as good as our youngsters seem to be, they haven't played full seasons in the league and done well... 

So bring this lad in as back up to Gunn, loan out the youngsters and then have McGovern as 3rd choice for one last time. 

.... Also would imagine this spells the end for Krul if true. 

Be interesting if he starts Sunday for his possible 'goodbye' to the fans. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

20 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Difference in them being this lad has had a full season in league one and won the golden glove, whereas, as good as our youngsters seem to be, they haven't played full seasons in the league and done well... 

So bring this lad in as back up to Gunn, loan out the youngsters and then have McGovern as 3rd choice for one last time. 

I agree, but goalkeeper position is of course unique in that you may only need 1 for an entire season. Hasnt been the case for us recently, but Krul is a strangely injury-prone first choice keeper.

Unless we feel he is absolutely clear first choice over £5m Angus I can't see us dropping a few million for a seat on the bench. Even if we did, I'm not sure a young lad would jump at the chance to be backup, in the Championship at least.

39 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

.... Also would imagine this spells the end for Krul if true. 

Be interesting if he starts Sunday for his possible 'goodbye' to the fans. 

Reckon he will head back to the Netherlands or stay here in England? Could easily become a regular number one at a lot of teams in the Eredivisie if he wished no doubt in my mind

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Reckon he will head back to the Netherlands or stay here in England? Could easily become a regular number one at a lot of teams in the Eredivisie if he wished no doubt in my mind

I would imagine going back to Netherlands is the sound bet. 

7 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I would imagine going back to Netherlands is the sound bet. 

Not necessarily, his wife is from Newcastle 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If Mcgovern leaves and or moves into coaching and Krul goes (which sadly seems likely gives his wages ) and the only keeper we get left with is some academy keepers and Gunn might be good to get a solid keeper in. You forgotton our keeper injury crisis last time in the champs already?

If if if if if if if

It looks like Gunn is going to be our no. 1 next season, as Smith’s playing him instead of Krul now. Krul is also 34, and so we need to get Gunn ready for when Krul departs. We also know McGovern will retire next summer

I think this League One Golden Glove winning keeper would be suitable backup in the Championship, it’s just if we go straight back up again next season I don’t think he would be in the PL, I also can’t see him getting much game time next season if we sign him

If Krul goes this summer I think we would sign a keeper with some good Championship experience in case we get promoted again, if he stays I think the youngsters will be sent out on loan, with Gunn taking over from Krul as the first choice no. 1

Gunn I think is a good championship keeper and whilst he might not yet have the influence or leadership skills of Krul he definitely has the potential to get there. If any type of fee is on the table for Krul it prob covers the Plymouth keeper. Good business. Simples 

Edited by Big O

I’d like grimes (Swansea), rothwell (Blackburn) and then maybe a punt from abroad. 

On 20/05/2022 at 19:20, cambridgeshire canary said:

I've said since the interview where he wouldn't give a straight yes/no answer to the question of being here next season that I felt he was off. I don't think it is purely to do with staying in the Netherlands squad for the world cup. Were it happening in the summer, he'd probably be selected, and probably stay here. With it being when it is, there is more football before it happens, and he needs to be in a top division to keep in contention.

I also wonder if he is also hoping to make the next Euro tournament. He'll be 36ish then. Not unachievable especially when you consider the age of keepers playing these days. Eredivisie sounds spot on. He could feasibly play on until 36 at least if he looks after himself and still be No.1 for a team there and possibly get some European football as well. I don't think anyone would hold that against him. Not only that, many could afford to pay a couple of million for him too which wouldn't be too shabby.

What am I missing. Why is everyone expecting Krul to leave? Or thinks he needs replacing? He has had a little dip recently but is still a good player and a great team mate.

7 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

What am I missing. Why is everyone expecting Krul to leave? Or thinks he needs replacing? He has had a little dip recently but is still a good player and a great team mate.

We paid a huge fee for Gunn. We're not in a position to spend that much on a keeper to sit on the bench. We could easily have got someone for nothing so we obviously had a long term plan. 

Even if Krul leaves, spending millions on another young keeper makes no sense. Every year serviceable keepers move for free and this summer will be no different.

• Like 1