Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

9 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Not a rumor or anything but what's the point in starting a new thread when this is here... 

Romaine sawyers has been released alongside Sam Johnstone from WBA... If Krul was leaving Johnstone would be a quality replacement but I'd guess he's heading to Fulham or the like. 

Sawyers, would he be worth a punt? Attacking midfield competition for Dowell. 

Johnstone is a very good player but he’d surely want to be 1st choice wherever he went. Doubt Gunn would be too happy at being kept as 2.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Johnstone is a very good player but he’d surely want to be 1st choice wherever he went. Doubt Gunn would be too happy at being kept as 2.

Apparently not, reports suggest he's off the be the bench warmer for Man U.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

Apparently not, reports suggest he's off the be the bench warmer for Man U.

Bit different warming the bench at Old Trafford to Carrow Road King. I didn’t consider him joining a top 6 club as backup but money talks.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Bit different warming the bench at Old Trafford to Carrow Road King. I didn’t consider him joining a top 6 club as backup but money talks.

It does feel like when a decentish English/Scottish/Irish keeper goes on a free, someone in the top six ends up signing him. Forster off to Spurs as back up for Lloris. Johnstone to Utd as back up to De Gea. Carson still earning a living seemingly hanging around at Man City. Robert Green's year at Chelsea. 

I wonder if it's worth a cheeky quid on John Ruddy ending up somewhere like Arsenal as third choice? 

7 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, wasn't suggesting he'd do the same at Norwich, just interesting he is going to be a backup. 

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It does feel like when a decentish English/Scottish/Irish keeper goes on a free, someone in the top six ends up signing him. Forster off to Spurs as back up for Lloris. Johnstone to Utd as back up to De Gea. Carson still earning a living seemingly hanging around at Man City. Robert Green's year at Chelsea. 

I wonder if it's worth a cheeky quid on John Ruddy ending up somewhere like Arsenal as third choice? 

All about the 'homegrown' quota and Ruddy is probably a good shout as an option. Johnstone is a bit of a surprise as he's only 29 though, usually it's the career choice for a keeper in their mid 30's- could see Krul doing similar in a year or two.

Unless Krul leaves City don't need another keeper, midfield and support for Pukki are the areas to address. Personally, I'm not sure gambling on bouncing straight back up is the way to go, Smith needs to be given time to blood the younger players and get a squad together that could survive in the PL as the core of the current starting XI is too old.  

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

I don’t think we need to sign any more wingers at the moment - I actually think we need to sell some. Need to look for a CB, DM, and CF

That's radical thinking that hazza, can't believe no one's thought of that before....😉

When does the club release the "retained list" as others have done over the past couple of days?  Then we would know where we are.

I know that would mean that the club would have to communicate externally, but stranger things ......... 😉 

Edited by shefcanary

All of our efforts this summer should be initially centred around recruiting at least 2 midfielders who would be capable of making the step up to the premier league if promoted, a creative player and some pace to support Pukki. I don't think we need that much else if Andy O is going to be fit again come the new season.

We need to build a more solid/athletic midfield unit and let them get used to playing together, hopefully in a promotion chasing team. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

When does the club release the "retained list" as others have done over the past couple of days?  Then we would know where we are.

I know that would mean that the club would have to communicate externally, but stranger things ......... 😉 

We've already done it haven't we? Hence why we know Rupp is off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

We've already done it haven't we? Hence why we know Rupp is off.

Ah, but it didn't seem to be a definitive list with absolute confirmation of loanees, etc.  There were informal statements from Deano about Rupp as well as a general summing up of what he thought would happen in the transfer window.  There was also a release regarding academy players, but not one complete list.  Perhaps journalists have just relied on information shared by the FA?

The total summer signings will be - tea person- litter picker,  maybe a extra security person and yoga person when Webber is seen on match days and is stress by all them naughty people whom shout naughty comments at him, has for the playing staff -someone out there with spare pair of boots ready to slot in when called, must be free or just expenses paid ie travel ,😅 

Edited by baldy09

As ever, my stance is let the youngsters have a couple of weeks early to see if they're promising enough and basically do an Omobamidele. After that, we're a couple of central midfielders light. Wouldn't be too surprised if Mumba had a run in central midfield instead of wing-back as IIRC that was where he started at Sunderland. Need to arrange a few loans for wingers, quite a bit depends on what Rashica and Cantwell do in terms of transfer activity or pulling their head out of their **** chute.

Placheta needs a loan, one of Rowe or Springett do as well - probably Rowe for me, as he looks explosive but not enduring, so a season hardening up in a lower league might give him that. Sell Hernandez, as much as I don't like that decision on a human level, but he's looking like he's on the slide.

Idah and Omobamidele need to get these injuries remedied. They've both got loads of potential, Omo is the future centre-half if he stays fit and those two really should get as many minutes piled into them as possible.

17 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Ah, but it didn't seem to be a definitive list with absolute confirmation of loanees, etc.  There were informal statements from Deano about Rupp as well as a general summing up of what he thought would happen in the transfer window.  There was also a release regarding academy players, but not one complete list.  Perhaps journalists have just relied on information shared by the FA?

All here- https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/norwich-city-retained-list-lukas-rupp-to-depart-at-the-end-of-the-season

The Express are saying that Man Utd are considering buying Max Aaron's & then sending Ethan Laird to us on a season loan. What with Byram & Mumba, it seems a waste of a loan space to me....IF it's true.

3 minutes ago, Top corner said:

The Express are saying that Man Utd are considering buying Max Aaron's & then sending Ethan Laird to us on a season loan. What with Byram & Mumba, it seems a waste of a loan space to me....IF it's true.

No more loanees.

38 minutes ago, Top corner said:

I really like Laird but I'd only be interested if there was 'perm upon promotion' sort of clause.

45 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No more loanees.

IMO loanees, quality ones are often the difference in the championship. I cant blame people for not wanting loanees again based on this season, as they were purely the wrong person/s for what we were looking to achieve. James Garner, Morgan Gibson-White, Nat Phillips and Harry Wilson to name a few were quality additions to teams competing for the top spots and were amongst the best performing championship players. As always its about paying for quality in the real positions we need to fill. Sadly for us that's a number of spots.

Edited by jaberry2

54 minutes ago, Top corner said:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1615665/Manchester-United-transfer-news-Norwich-City-Max-Aarons-Erik-ten-Hag

The link in case anyone wanted a read. Seems they got it from Football League World, who have a mixed record from what I can see. 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sources-man-united-weigh-up-norwich-transfer-swoop-as-canaries-eye-old-trafford-player/

I do wonder whether a right back might be on Smith's list this summer. If Byram suffers another injury, we're left with Mumba who, as promising as he is, might be best served playing a season in league one? 

1 hour ago, Top corner said:

We need cash to totally rebuild a shot midfield, a loan of yet another big club defender won’t be on the cards I would imagine. 

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1615665/Manchester-United-transfer-news-Norwich-City-Max-Aarons-Erik-ten-Hag

The link in case anyone wanted a read. Seems they got it from Football League World, who have a mixed record from what I can see. 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sources-man-united-weigh-up-norwich-transfer-swoop-as-canaries-eye-old-trafford-player/

I do wonder whether a right back might be on Smith's list this summer. If Byram suffers another injury, we're left with Mumba who, as promising as he is, might be best served playing a season in league one? 

Byram should not be playing CB, as he is currently. Mumba is a bit of a question mark currently, as he hasnt had a great season but hopefully can show some form in pre season form so he can be cover in RB slot. TBH a back line of Hanley, Gibson, Dimi and Byram is adequate for the championship, we just know again, most of which aren't able to compete at a higher level.

I'm not so against loanees per se, but we should look to get a guarantee that if we are promoted we either loan them for another year or sign them permanently. I think Laird is pretty good and wouldn't be opposed to it, he's also played as a wing back with 3 in central defence. I'm certainly not opposed to Byram as the right sided centre back in that system.

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

All of our efforts this summer should be initially centred around recruiting at least 2 midfielders who would be capable of making the step up to the premier league if promoted,

It is enough for newly promoted teams to recruit players capable at a premier league level even after the have been promoted - it is an even bigger one to try to recruit such players after relegation!

Players capable of playing at a premier league level want to play at "established" premier league clubs - even at means being a "squad player." You don't  have to look much further than the fact that they are guaranteed premier league wages. Take Jamal  Lewis and Jacob Murphey, for example:  they had relatively games over the  last few years but will have been on premier league wages all of that time (even when on loan).

44 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'm sure that Sorensen could do a good job at right back if needed.

Why would we consider letting Man U, a cash rich club, take a player we value at between £10-20m, and we get a loanee for a season.

Am I missing something. IS Laird valued at that price, or at least it's a cash + player

We need the cash more than we need this swap, as there are more pressing positions we need to fill first!  

11 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Why would we consider letting Man U, a cash rich club, take a player we value at between £10-20m, and we get a loanee for a season.

Am I missing something. IS Laird valued at that price, or at least it's a cash + player

We need the cash more than we need this swap, as there are more pressing positions we need to fill first!  

It would be a cash plus a player on loan if it happened.

• Like 1

Bumping this a little as I’m seeing other threads pop up, but rumours doing the rounds that we’re in for Conor Hourihane, set to be unveiled next week.

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Bumping this a little as I’m seeing other threads pop up, but rumours doing the rounds that we’re in for Conor Hourihane, set to be unveiled next week.

Not what we need IMO and other than the Villa connection (which is odd because Dean deemed him surplus there) I’m not sure why we’d be linked as he’s not the sort of signing we have been making.