Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

12 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

John hartson?

Oh geez. 

I remember watching him play and him never leaving the centre circle. It wasn't because he didn't try, he was just so slow that by the time play reached a penalty area he had only managed to reach the opposite end of the centre circle.

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Oh geez. 

I remember watching him play and him never leaving the centre circle. It wasn't because he didn't try, he was just so slow that by the time play reached a penalty area he had only managed to reach the opposite end of the centre circle.

People who think our recent recruitment was bad should remember it's been worse! 

38 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

People who think our recent recruitment was bad should remember it's been worse! 

I give you Tony cottee, Antoine siberski and Steve Walsh 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

I give you Tony cottee, Antoine siberski and Steve Walsh 

I raise you Jason Jarrett and Julien Brellier

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Let's get this thread started with a rumour from the Pink Un

Jean-Paul Boetius, 28 year old, out of contract midfielder from Mainz. Seemingly once thought very highly of but has lost his way a bit in recent seasons.

Seems like a good option if we lose any of Rupp, McLean, PLM or Normann.  With the mix we need some talented and experienced players.

Edited by Newtopia

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Oh geez. 

Do you know, that's my abiding memory of him too 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Steve Walsh was my personal favourite example of poor recruitment, although Ian Murray was utterly pointless.

Once bitten twice shy, unless we sign Mbappe or Haaland then I totally refuse to muster any excitement for new signings after having the wool pulled over my eyes last summer. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Let's be honest - you'd never heard of him before today. To say your 100% against just because he's "only" got 2 goals and 2 assists is a bit premature.

I think from what you’ve said about my thoughts being a bit premature is actually a fair claim there. To get an assist to you’re name you have to provide the ball to the goal scorer, but you can still have a hand in the goals - like win the ball and provide the ball to the assister. His team’s played 32 games and 8th in the table so they probably have quite a few goals for, he’s played in all but one of those games, so he could have played a part in loads of his teams goals. He must have quite a few starts if he’s played in 31 of 32 games, and you can’t be awful to get a start for a team that’s 8th in the table. New signings aren’t made without scouting the players first either

9 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I think from what you’ve said about my thoughts being a bit premature is actually a fair claim there. To get an assist to you’re name you have to provide the ball to the goal scorer, but you can still have a hand in the goals - like win the ball and provide the ball to the assister. His team’s played 32 games and 8th in the table so they probably have quite a few goals for, he’s played in all but one of those games, so he could have played a part in loads of his teams goals. He must have quite a few starts if he’s played in 31 of 32 games, and you can’t be awful to get a start for a team that’s 8th in the table. New signings aren’t made without scouting the players first either

Out of interest I had a little dive into some stats.

Firstly Mainz aren't a free scoring type of team- 46 goals in 32 games, the lowest scorers in the top half of the Bundesliga so not many players are racking up huge goal or assist stats there.

His key passes stats (usually a better indicator than assists, although still not great) shows he's creating 0.8 chances a game, the 5th most on his team. 

So a quick glance suggests a middlingly creative player in a team that doesn't score many. Interesting to see WhoScored rank 'defensive contribution' as his strongest element so maybe he's more of a worker/grafter than creator.

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Was he?

Edit - Thinking it over, that's a bit unfair. He lacked the consistency to make him great but I think he had his moments.

Fer - when we signed him - would waltz into our current team.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Interesting to see WhoScored rank 'defensive contribution' as his strongest element so maybe he's more of a worker/grafter than creator.

No! 😯 Not a potential converted CDM prospect?

Whilst in the Championship we aren't going to be signing much better than a proven performer who's played nearly every game for a Bundesliga team in the top 8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Once bitten twice shy, unless we sign Mbappe or Haaland then I totally refuse to muster any excitement for new signings after having the wool pulled over my eyes last summer. 

Wool? Last summer? I had It happen a few years back, when we bought  a sheep in Wolf's clothing. I really thought we had the next Gary Lineker. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, kirku said:

Waltz....yep that's what Leroy did.

25 minutes ago, kirku said:

I remember him joining for a fair bit of money, being a regular starter in a relegation season, then moving to QPR, then playing a part in their relegation.

He did have some good moments though. .

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I remember him joining for a fair bit of money, being a regular starter in a relegation season, then moving to QPR, then playing a part in their relegation.

He did have some good moments though. .

I seem to remember it was £3.5-4m we signed him for. Didn't Everton want him in a window before us but he'd failed a medical or something? He was ok. Not sure if he did anything particularly fantastically though. He scored a couple of nice goals.

Looking back at it, he was 23/24 that season, so still not quite into his peak. Perhaps a bit much to expect?

That said, like you say, he moved to QPR and was relegated with them. He then moved to Swansea and was relegated with them.

At 32, he's still playing, now in Turkey after a spell with Feyenoord. 

31 minutes ago, chicken said:

I seem to remember it was £3.5-4m we signed him for. Didn't Everton want him in a window before us but he'd failed a medical or something? He was ok. Not sure if he did anything particularly fantastically though. He scored a couple of nice goals.

Looking back at it, he was 23/24 that season, so still not quite into his peak. Perhaps a bit much to expect?

That said, like you say, he moved to QPR and was relegated with them. He then moved to Swansea and was relegated with them.

At 32, he's still playing, now in Turkey after a spell with Feyenoord. 

He cost over £4m but left for £8m. Like Todd at the moment, potential stood still and then went backwards 

9 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I see your Jarrett and Brellier and I'm all in with Simon Whaley and Victor Segura

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I see your Jarrett and Brellier and I'm all in with Simon Whaley and Victor Segura

Call with Fernando Derveld, Raymond DeWard and Jean-Yves De Blasiis

1 hour ago, Mat McGoo said:

We are keen to sign him......... 

BUT the club have made no contact with the player or agent??? 

Our DoF is a bit busy at the moment. 

An attacking midfielder and winger, formerly known as the Mainz Messi by their fans.

It's a meh from me.

3 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I'll call you with Tony Warner and Micheal Theoklitos

Just had a quick root on Kicker for this chap. Average of 3.75 is fairly average so we're not talking about a major player in the ranks (the lower the average score, the better - kicker uses the German school scoring system where 1 = exceptional and 6 = excrement). 

Jean-Paul Boetius | 1. FSV Mainz 05 | Bundesliga | 2021/22 | Spielerprofil - kicker

He's had a couple of spells where he's looked more like a key player for them (WK = Weltklasse / world class, IK = Internationale Klasse / international class, NK = Nationale Klasse / national class) and been above the average in the whole of the Bundesliga in the eyes of kicker reviewers and editors, including the second half of last season. So, signs that he's lost his way seem to be from those highs a year ago.

Jean-Paul Boetius | 1. FSV Mainz 05 | Spieler-Rangliste | Bundesliga 2021/22 - kicker

13 goals in 127 Bundesliga games, so pootling around at 1 goal per ten. Not seen any video yet, but gut instinct's telling me this could be a Rupp upgrade.

17 hours ago, king canary said:

I feel like papers will often link us to any out of contract Bundesliga player going. Not sure I see this one happening.

You're probably right. And anyone who plays 31 out of 32 games in the top half of the Bundesliga is going to be too good for us. 

Leeds had a bid refused 2 years ago. 

It looks like he's lost weight

Screenshot_20220505-094832_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cbdd2370e5c7a0b7666286a92ff93496.jpg

18 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I'll call you with Tony Warner and Micheal Theoklitos

Wow, when you see the names mentioned in this thread so far, we have signed a lorry load of sh1te in the past 😁

• Haha 2

I've actually played with and against Simon Whaley. He lives back up in Bolton now. If Ben Marshall had been older I'd probably have faced him in our vets league too.