Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

16 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I'm surprised there's not been much activity given that the first pre-season game in just four weeks away.

To be fair the transfer window doesn’t even open for 8 days

On 27/05/2022 at 22:11, Tetteys Jig said:

We should sign him just for the fact he wouldn’t then be able to score against us next season

He will just score the most own goals for instead😂😂

Need to sell first so don't expect too much happening.  We go with what weve got. 

5 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

To be fair the transfer window doesn’t even open for 8 days

Yet several teams have already signed players.

On 02/06/2022 at 16:42, DraytonBoy said:

There have been a handful announced (Haaland, for example), but no one has actually signed anyone yet as the window isn’t open.

22 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Contracts have been signed but don't start yet -

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61632388

Precisely - no transfers have actually happened yet as they can’t outside a window.  Haaland is ‘Man City bound’ rather than their player, until the window opens.  Sorry, but that is a fact.  

And there have been just a handful of such agreements. 

• Like 1

On 29/05/2022 at 10:52, HazzaJet said:

I remember how bad Hughes was but didn’t know he arrived with a good history - was too young to look into new signings in detail then. But then no new signing is guaranteed to pull out the same performance for their new team as they did for their previous team - here’s some examples:

RvW - top scorer in the Portuguese first tier, scores on his PL debut for us but then never scored again all season 

Becchio - good for Leeds, rubbish for us

Lafferty - rubbish for us, great for his country 

Sanchez - great for Arsenal, rubbish for Man Utd

On the other hand, my favourite mediocre journeyman.

Teemu Pukki.....

33 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Precisely - no transfers have actually happened yet as they can’t outside a window.  Haaland is ‘Man City bound’ rather than their player, until the window opens.  Sorry, but that is a fact.  

And there have been just a handful of such agreements. 

If you want to believe Perisic isn't a Spurs player now and he's free to sign for someone else then that's up to you.

2 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

If you want to believe Perisic isn't a Spurs player now and he's free to sign for someone else then that's up to you.

Who said I believe that?  You, meanwhile appear to misunderstand the legal position. If Spurs played tomorrow he could not play for them. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, DraytonBoy said:

Perisic was a free agent. As such, he was actually allowed to speak to other clubs from January onwards. During this time, he is also able to sign a pre-contractual agreement that becomes a signing with the opening of the transfer window. So it is slightly different. Technically though, his registration isn't yet with Spurs.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Perisic was a free agent. As such, he was actually allowed to speak to other clubs from January onwards. During this time, he is also able to sign a pre-contractual agreement that becomes a signing with the opening of the transfer window. So it is slightly different. Technically though, his registration isn't yet with Spurs.

It is of course largely a technical thing, but there have been very few such moves and they are not really a stick to use against the club.

I imagine a number of deals will go through fairly early when the window does open, and hopefully we will start to plug the obvious gaps as soon as we can.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It is of course largely a technical thing, but there have been very few such moves and they are not really a stick to use against the club.

I imagine a number of deals will go through fairly early when the window does open, and hopefully we will start to plug the obvious gaps as soon as we can.

Oh, no, I am in full agreement. The point is that free agents work differently. I'm not overly fussed at this point, anyone getting their undies in a twizzle at this point probably need to look outside, fire up the BBQ and invite some friends over... 

On 02/06/2022 at 16:42, DraytonBoy said:

You can sign who ever you want when you want, remember we signed van wolfswinkle in March. You just can’t register them as your player until a certain time period 

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Mathew Dennis sold to MK dons. 

I'm hoping we sign Scott Twine from MK Dons, could of used him in the deal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HB1989 said:

I'm hoping we sign Scott Twine from MK Dons, could of used him in the deal.

Me too, maybe it's just the sweetener before the deal is done 😉

• Like 2

I guess the problem with L1 players is that there is a big gulf between there and the Championship, almost akin to that between the Championship and PL - it feels many sides go straight back down to L1, Rotherham seem to be the Norwich/Fulham of that level!  There must be some decent players there, though, Twine appeared to be pretty good last season and well worth a look. 

11 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Mathew Dennis sold to MK dons. 

For an undisclosed fee too, so that's one to add to the "we never make any money on signing these youngsters" list... 

On 04/06/2022 at 22:41, chicken said:

For an undisclosed fee too, so that's one to add to the "we never make any money on signing these youngsters" list... 

Also, more recently, Rocky Bushiri.

These may not even be six figure fees, but they add up.

There's been another coach added to the payroll this last week, so every little helps.

That this stable contains many who would benefit from a season loan in the lower leagues is clear. Some of them could be used as a bargaining card when looking for talent in these leagues.

A hint of the cattle market that, but it's the way football works, as ever.

Scott Twine seems to have been the standout league One player last season, with many clubs now reported as looking at him. The Binners enthuse over him, but I suspect that the player might seek higher than the prospect of mid-table L.1., whatever the bull shine.

Who could we offer as 'bait' in the way of a loan to MK Dons? Rowe? Springett? Gibbs? There are so many spoken of as decent prospects nowadays it has become commonplace, whilst even those three might be considered nearer to a Championship squad (along with Martin and Mumba)  and probably a.n.other who might break through on the conveyor belt, Dixon-Peters? 

The sweetshop of promising talent that Colney has become is a credit to the club hierarchy in every way.

The self-sufficient model might fall short in many ways when needing to be  competitive in the upper echelons of the modern game, but they (Webber et al.) have most certainly gone at it at full tilt as there has been no messing about, no half measures when it comes to this vital aspect of self-sufficiency. Our youth output has never been better, imo.

The acquisition of Liam Gibbs from ITFC must surely be viewed as a juicy cherry on top of the cake, especially as it looks as if the coming season could see his breakthrough.

Omo will likely be our biggest sale so far, but how great it would be if Gibbs were to eventually bring in a sizeable bundle for our club.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If it were me, I'd be looking to hijack this.

Perhaps but Armstrong from the North East so that might be the attraction for him

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

2 goals in 23 appearances? He's no Pukki

And in a better team which presumably supplied him with more opportunities.