Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Drum at Carrow Rd

I hope those voting 'no' :

a) actually go to FCR regularly 

b) will give vocal support when they are there

Same applies to 'yes' voters as well really.

In the end it has to come down to practicalities really. I would hope if someone is thinking about bringing a drum they think about where their seat is, whether it's in the middle or on the end, and who sits in front of them!

45 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd prefer to hear a bugle now and again. The thought of Rashica going off on a charge down the wing with The Tequila Song blaring out sounds like a cracking soundtrack.

Of course, we should have The Great Escape playing after every win now.

Agree with the fundamental idea that if it's incessant, it's just background noise and that it should be judiciously used.

Great idea, anybody who has been to a baseball game will know the trumpet and then “ CHARGE “ 

As well as the support at Watford being loud and sustained, it was great to hear it being something other than yet another half-hearted rendition of OTBC which had become pretty much all we sang at away matches.

Edited by Naturalcynic
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

As well as the support at Watford being loud and sustained, it was great to hear it being something other than yet another half-hearted rendition of OTBC which had become pretty much all we sang at away matches.

Totally agree, the atmosphere was the best I’ve experienced at an away game for ages-apart from getting caught in the crush when loads of fans rushed down the front to celebrate our goals-could have been dangerous.

42 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I disagree.  The drum was at Watford and the support was outstanding - loud and continuous.  I thought you approved of supporters getting behind the team.

Yes, of course, but without drums.

• Like 1

Might be right on the fringes of crowd theory here, but I think there's a chance the fact we've won 3 out of our last 4 games is the reason the atmosphere has been much improved...?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I hope those voting 'no' :

a) actually go to FCR regularly 

b) will give vocal support when they are there

Same applies to 'yes' voters as well really.

In the end it has to come down to practicalities really. I would hope if someone is thinking about bringing a drum they think about where their seat is, whether it's in the middle or on the end, and who sits in front of them!

A) Yes

B) Yes

Drums, to paraphrase Lakey are and will always be tinpot. I've always belittled support that have one, I'm saddened we're now one of them. They are the instrument of support that can't generate natural atmosphere. 

• Like 3

People on here seem obsessed with just making noise and not really knowing what they are talking about.
"Lets take a drum to Carrow Road"

"Lets play the great escape on trumpets"

"Lets drunkenly sing the same song we have sung for the last 20 years and swap replace football player names"

A drum really isnt going to have an impact rather than making us look Tin Pot AF when we are 4-0 down to Pep's Money Cheat Citeh.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

Its a Yes from me. We need a bit of life in us a times...were not as loud as we think we are. Plus the core, loud fans should always centre around the younger lot, not the old codgers who frequent these pages.

The ones complaining around the noise only listen to Aker Bilk and James Last and I claim my 4 shillings and sixpence.

CAFC was loud because of the drummer at times, they they and Palar.se having benefitted from having one.

Subnote - Drummer = Yes, Full band = No, leave them to the Coal Pits and Engerland games.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Its a Yes from me. We need a bit of life in us a times...were not as loud as we think we are. Plus the core, loud fans should always centre around the younger lot, not the old codgers who frequent these pages.

The ones complaining around the noise only listen to Aker Bilk and James Last and I claim my 4 shillings and sixpence.

CAFC was loud because of the drummer at times, they they and Palar.se having benefitted from having one.

Subnote - Drummer = Yes, Full band = No, leave them to the Coal Pits and Engerland games.

As the players come out maybe? 

1 hour ago, Mr Apples said:

This is a very serious issue, remember...drums don't deafen people, drummers do, I seen it in a documentary on BBC2. 😬🤣

Apples

From Bristol Zoo, to B&Q.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

City Elite i believe they are known as. 

Tw*ts is what I would call them. Not many years ago we were proud of not having a drum and would tell opposition fans where to put theirs. It was used well at Watford but poorly at Charlton. I’m sure city fans are capable of creating an atmosphere without one. Also remember there are no/ few spare seats so some people would be forced to sit/stand next to it!! I think the club are right on this issue

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Totally agree, the atmosphere was the best I’ve experienced at an away game for ages-apart from getting caught in the crush when loads of fans rushed down the front to celebrate our goals-could have been dangerous.

Could have been something to do with winning 3-0.

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

You thought the atmosphere at Charlton was ‘ good’. Not negative puerile school kids on their cheap day out. That’s where we differ.

Edited by Commonsense
Spelling

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He nicked that idea off the Man City lady. She was loved by the fans and the stand where she chimed was affectionately known as the ‘Bell End’

image.jpeg.23c68eb0a2ad15a6dcaf44836748f8e5.jpeg

That’s uncanny, because that’s what I‘ve always called him!!

Edited by Commonsense
Spelling

4 hours ago, Greavsy said:

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/norwich-city-fan-groups-drums-at-carrow-road-8644800

Thoughts?

I can see why people would want it, but would you want to next to it for 90 minutes?

It's clearly led to a better atmosphere in the couple of away games it's been used, I'm not sure it has the same effect in a home ground. Too many parts of the ground don't want to sing etc, where as away fans do.

4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

I don't know whether the guy who is playing the drum is on this forum but I know who it is and he was also with that little collection of Delia Out people who were at an away game recently.

At the Valley an older guy brought it in and he passed it to a younger guy.  At least it looked that way to me.

Supporters have been on point and carried the atmosphere, I love it.  Not sure it being an organised thing at home matches - that takes the spirit out of it to me, it needs to be it's own thing really and just a part of the dynamics of the crowd.

But then I love being smoked out with a flare from time to time too.  Can't beat a little anarchy! haha 🙂

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Tw*ts is what I would call them. Not many years ago we were proud of not having a drum and would tell opposition fans where to put theirs. It was used well at Watford but poorly at Charlton. I’m sure city fans are capable of creating an atmosphere without one. Also remember there are no/ few spare seats so some people would be forced to sit/stand next to it!! I think the club are right on this issue

If a game is going badly the drum takes on the character of the drum of doom, one person vainly trying to get a morose crowd to respond and failing miserably. We've all seen it at away games - one game I went to last year where the home drum was just awful - a kind of funereal sound - as we strode away with three points.

Also seen (heard) it used when the opposition has a corner or penalty, rampant drum noise to try and put the player off.

No one fan should be able to make that much noise.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

If a game is going badly the drum takes on the character of the drum of doom, one person vainly trying to get a morose crowd to respond and failing miserably. We've all seen it at away games - one game I went to last year where the home drum was just awful - a kind of funereal sound - as we strode away with three points.

Also seen (heard) it used when the opposition has a corner or penalty, rampant drum noise to try and put the player off.

No one fan should be able to make that much noise.

Should support be restricted to polite clapping only?  Would that be ok?

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Should support be restricted to polite clapping only?  Would that be ok?

All people should be equal to sing/cheer on the crowd as they want. Giving some drongo a drum will just ruin it for many - especially those near to him/her.

Perhaps for those in favour .........he should be allowed to stand directly behind the oppo's goalkeeper for each half

or for those against.........let him play his drum from the top end of King Street  🙂

Can I just state I'm not some old codger against Loud noises etc, those who know me know I'm massively vocal at matches, my objection is a pure and simple one, they just sound crap, always have always will. 

Anything that will drown out the various managers and coaches in the South Stand will be good with me.🥁🎷🪘🎺📯💪

4 hours ago, Greavsy said:

The article states....

the club is working with its supporters panel and fan groups to create a better atmosphere at Carrow Road on match days.

are @Feedthewolf @Lessingham Canary @ncfc star able to comment on this, in the continued absence of the minutes.

You should know by now Greavsy that all matters are confidential until the club produce the minutes of the meetings and obviously crowd atmosphere and the drum come under that heading and any member discussing or seeking views of those who elected them is a big no, no.

• Sad 1

I was sceptical but it has made a big big difference away , Watford was electric 

why do Archant always bring out the same select band of fans for an opinion??? 

I don’t see why a drum is needed - if people need that to get them singing it does suggest something is amiss.  And it made no difference at all at Charlton, most people near me thought it was pretty crappy and they were thankful they weren’t nearby!

Tbh I don’t really care either way, but if there were a vote I’d say ‘no’.