Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Talk Norwich City's all time 11

36 minutes ago, sonyc said:

And no Bruce or Watson at the back? Now, I liked Malky very much but he would struggle with two other CBs beside him let alone by himself!

And ...Huckerby gets to be called "Hucks" but no other player gets a moniker? (WFLGH, Dion, Wessi, Emi). Selectivity at its finest.

Have to agree with Keelan and Peters too. If you are running a social media platform on our club then it would help to have conducted some research of your own or a survey or watched some videos over time (because they are plentiful).

3/10 for effort though.

I've no problem with him picking only players from his era that he's actually seen play, but even with that criteria it's a pathetic selection.

I'm similar to @Worthy Nigelton in that my first game at Carrow Rud was in 1992 so I'd stick to players from then to now.

I'd go 4-2-3-1 with;

GK- GUNN

RB- AARONS

LB- BOWEN

CB- BUTTERWORTH

CB- FLEMING

DCM- SKIPP

CM- CROOK

RW- BUENDIA

LW- HUCKERBY

CAM- HOOLAHAN

FWD- PUKKI

Ask me later in the day and I might have Holt or Sutton instead of Pukki, too hard to decide.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

DCM- SKIPP

Who’s your pick if loanees are banned ?

Also if they are not, & evaluation not restricted to a player’s time at C Road, wouldn’t Kane be a candidate for no.9 

1 minute ago, GenerationA47 said:

Also if they are not, & evaluation not restricted to a player’s time at C Road, wouldn’t Kane be a candidate for no.9 

I am restricting it to time at Carrow Road.

CM was a little bit of slim-pickings to be honest. Without Skipp I'd probably have to go pre-2005 Gary Holt. Not a great deal of talent in the last 30 years at defensive midfield.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Sack off DCM and put in another winger, Fox (or eadie, but he was lw and is < Hucks), move EMI central with wessi so it doesn't get too crowded. Chippy might have his work cut out in the middle, but he can cope....

Edited by cornish sam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

And ...Huckerby gets to be called "Hucks" but no other player gets a moniker? (WFLGH, Dion, Wessi, Emi). Selectivity at its finest.

Bit petty.

They both known Huckerby's son (the alright one, not the wannabe gangster), so a good chance they know Darren Huckerby and feel ok to use his nickname.

Yet again, Cambridge has taken a social media post out of context.

It was their "lifetime" XI, so players they've seen play regularly.

There are plenty of things to pick holes in with TNC (not least, in my opinion, very questionable opinions) but this post has been presented as something it isn't.

For what it is, Dublin at CF, Drury at LCB and Emi at CM is proof enough that the guy doesn't really know what he's talking about..

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I stopped at Krul.... there is only one keeper in my mind... this is him just after hearing he had not been picked

Himage.jpeg.054b430ce2750a80469995722eb5344f.jpeg

Brilliant goalkeeper ..... as good as any of the other great English goalkeepers of the era.  Should have had international caps.  Can understand Banks keeping the #1 spot but Bonetti, Shilton or Clemence better than Keelan?  Nah. 

Edited by Numan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

My first memory is of the 92/93 season so I pick players from that team onwards for my best XI. I'm guessing his team is from 2003 onwards which gives him some excuse. When I factor that in, mine isnt massively different from his with six players the same:-

Green

Aarons 

Drury

Bassong

Hanley

Buendia

Huckerby

Hoolahan

Howson

Pukki

Holt

Hanley and Bassong shows how bad our centre halves have been for ages!

Hmmm, I can think of at least 5 CBs better than Hanley and Bassong since 92/93 without even trying!

Edited by Mr Angry
repetition

4-4-2

Keelan

Culverhouse / Forbes / Stringer / Bowen

Suggett / Crook / Peters / Huckerby

MacDougall / Pukki 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numan said:

Brilliant goalkeeper ..... as good as any of the other great English goalkeepers of the era.  Should have had international caps.  Can understand Banks keeping the #1 spot but Bonetti, Shilton or Clemence better than Keelan?  Nah. 

I always thought he was American for some reason, never realised he was English keeper.  God knows where I got that from lol.

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I always thought he was American for some reason, never realised he was English keeper.  God knows where I got that from lol.

He finished his career in the US at New England Tea Men. He has lived in Florida for many years.

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

He finished his career in the US at New England Tea Men. He has lived in Florida for many years.

But was born in Calcutta, India I believe.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Weirdly, even if they're only picking from 2003 onwards, why Dublin is ahead of Pukki? 😝 Dion Dublin signed for us at 37 and scored 12 goals in two seasons.

In that team that’s a massive achievement 

As a caveat I think the lads said this was their ‘life time’ XIs 

still a few noticeable absentees and as ever Chris proving his superior football knowledge of the two 

2 hours ago, Numan said:

4-4-2

Keelan

Culverhouse / Forbes / Stringer / Bowen

Suggett / Crook / Peters / Huckerby

MacDougall / Pukki 

...and this. But what?! No Trevor Hockey to add some bite to the midfield?

• Like 1

This is tough from my lifetime. Gotta got Bellamy in there somewhere but that means leaving out iwan, Sutton, pukki, Holt. At the moment it's looking like 5/6 upfront!

3 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Hmmm, I can think of at least 5 CBs better than Hanley and Bassong since 92/93 without even trying!

Since 2003 is when I was picking them. Polston, Newsome, Newman, Butterworth all better and probably others I've forgotten. I was trying to pick a team from when Chris Reeve was picking his.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

24 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Since 2003 is when I was picking them. Polston, Newsome, Newman, Butterworth all better and probably others I've forgotten. I was trying to pick a team from when Chris Reeve was picking his.

Andy Linighan, Steve Bruce, Dave Watson etc, etc

Since 85, off the top of my head, in a modish 4231. Possibly a bit lightweight in midfield but given we'd never give the ball away, who cares?

Green 

Culverhouse Bruce Watson Bowen 

Crook Phelan 

Buendía Maddison Huckerby 

Sutton

Edited by Robert N. LiM

Krul 

Helveg Whitbread Bassong Drury 

Eadie Crook Hoolahan Huckerby 

Holt Bellamy 

subs Green, Fleming, Omobalidele, Howson, Buendia, Roberts, Redmond

1 minute ago, Taylor324 said:

Keelan

Aarons

Bruce

Watson

Bowen

Buendia

Crook

Peters

Huckerby

Sutton

Ashton

Good team, that. And what a compliment to Max. 

On 17/11/2021 at 20:50, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah I'm not sure on this one.. 🤔

wat.jpg

That's only one half... there were two line up's given, Chris' and Jacks' and people were asked to say which they felt was the better of the two line ups and then to suggest their own.

So not Talk Norwich City's "all time 11" at all... more just a talking piece.

Woods, Culverhouse, Bowen, Bruce, Watson, Townsend, Peters, MacDougall, Boyer, Crook, Huckerby.

B team

Gunn, Steeeenooo, Drury, Fleming, Forbes, Phelan, Buendia, Sutton, Drinkell, Paddon, Eadie.

C team

Keelan Edworthy, Olsson, Mackay, Stringer, Mendham, Gordon, Holt, Deehan, Williams, Neighbour

This could go on and on.....will have missed some very obvious ones no doubt. But who remembers David Williams? Very classy...