Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Lampard turns us down

I think a bit like Lampard, we all need to be wary of the assured messaging it’s Smith.. the only places that seem to be insinuating that are the ones 24 hours ago talking about Frank’s Norwich. Can’t help but feel the Smiths agent is using us a foil to make others aware of his availability. 

Lead likely a short list of 2-3 with Dean smith hastily added to it, so to be honest we have no idea who first choice is or what is going on behind the scenes. Best just hold tight and see where we are this time next week, things will move and when they do it will likely be very quickly. 

If he didn’t want to be here - he shouldn’t have been appointed anyway. We learnt that with Naismith. That said we see, once again, the familiar pattern of this club failing to land its targets. I guess we go down the list until announcing Russel Martin in 2 weeks time! 

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If he didn’t want to be here - he shouldn’t have been appointed anyway. We learnt that with Naismith. That said we see, once again, the familiar pattern of this club failing to land its targets. I guess we go down the list until announcing Russel Martin in 2 weeks time! 

Do you know who the targets are that we have failed to land

13 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Do you know who the targets are that we have failed to land

I don’t know anything for certain re managers but it certainly looks like Lampard was the target but has dropped out.

with players  - Ajer was our top target and am informed Sargent was only signed after we lost out on several other attacking options. 

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

I wrote that it was probably  a contract thing, maybe he does not like the power Webber has in the club 

Is that a serious comment? 

Maybe he has an aversion to the colour yellow, maybe he was bullied by someone with the initials NCFC when he was a kid, maybe he’s planning to run Parliament next year…

PLEASE WILL PEOPLE STOP MAKING RANDOM STUFF UP!!!

Webber is going to look a bit of an idiot if he's sacked Farke and replaces him with Smith. Smith can't have even been on his list let alone the bottom of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe he has an aversion to the colour yellow, maybe he was bullied by someone with the initials NCFC when he was a kid, maybe he’s planning to run Parliament next year…

I've heard he has a serious hatred of mustard. His people keep telling him that mustard isn't made in Norwich anymore but he keeps ranting on about Colman's and muttering "no way, burny nose, no way."

• Haha 2

Not that fussed about Lampard “turning us down” if indeed he has. If he doesn’t have enough belief in himself to take the job on then frankly we are better off without him. If he goes to Rangers it’s a cowards option. Success up there with them proves nothing. I could manage them to the title. 

What I am bothered about though is the apparent lack of plan when we sacked Farke, even though I was of the view he needed replacing. It’s amateurish. Just go and get the Norwegian guy. Pay what it takes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurwellCanary said:

And perhaps that's the problem because (and I hate to say this) we are not going to be a PL club next year

Surely the point is that we can try and find a manager who would give us some chance of staying up, or at least make a fist of it, or we can admit defeat *already* and appoint someone who we think gives us our best chance of coming up again once we’re relegated (AKA the Farke scenario). Webber thinks we still stand a chance of avoiding relegation. We need that attitude from top to bottom throughout the club, including on here, or we are doomed. (…doomed, we’re doomed ©️ Lapps).

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’ve actually heard that everything was agreed, handshakes done etc only for Zoe Ward to catch Webber checking out Christine Bleakley. At this point she immediately vetoed the whole thing. Webber is said to be furious but not as furious as his wife, it seems.

Delia is still said to be keen on a Martin/Worthington “dream team”. 

• Like 1

Avoid relegation that’s a joke 

we’re a few points from safety 

Just need a manager who believes in the so called quality of the squad and who is 100% behind NCFC not some waster  who is using us as a stepping stone like Terry and Lampard

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Herman said:

I've heard he has a serious hatred of mustard. His people keep telling him that mustard isn't made in Norwich anymore but he keeps ranting on about Colman's and muttering "no way, burny nose, no way."

I heard it was because we refused to have a clause in the contract that we would buy Christine some rolls of gold wallpaper to decorate their new Norfolk home. "I want some gold wallpaper like what that Carrie Antoinette has," she told Sky Sport.

59 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Webber is going to look a bit of an idiot if he's sacked Farke and replaces him with Smith. Smith can't have even been on his list let alone the bottom of it.

Hard for Smith to have been on that list when he wasn't sacked by Villa until three days after Webber recommended Farke's sacking to the board, and a day after our board agreed.

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Hard for Smith to have been on that list when he wasn't sacked by Villa until three days after Webber recommended Farke's sacking to the board, and a day after our board agreed.

And hard for him to have been in Webber's thoughts either, as even a possible replacement or reason to sack Farke. 

If someone the calibre of Smith is deemed capable of keeping us in the Premier League when having an even worse record than Farke is quite astonishing.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

And hard for him to have been in Webber's thoughts either, as even a possible replacement or reason to sack Farke. 

If someone the calibre of Smith is deemed capable of keeping us in the Premier League when having an even worse record than Farke is quite astonishing.

I don't think his record is that impressive either, but certainly better than Lampard's, for what that is worth. As for the comparison with Farke, sometimes a manager comes to the end of their useful working life with a club, and I think that is what happened with Farke, much as I liked him, so I don't think you can compare Smith's record, or anyone else's, with that of Farke at his best. You have to factor in a decline (which might well be ended at another club with a new challenge, as happened with Worthington after he left us).

Edited by PurpleCanary

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think that's the point 😉

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I can't quite fathom why anyone would welcome Lampard as manager (I personally didn't want him) but not Dean Smith, who at least has some relevant experience.

Because we might as well have stuck with DF. Smith has shown that he is no better, maybe worse because of his spending, at getting his team to play well in the EPL.

None of us really wanted Lampard either. But he probably had more pros than Smith has.

Interesting that the BBC headline has change from Lampard rejects Norwich to Lampard pulls out of talks. Completely backs up Bailey's claim that he has never been offered the job and pours a lot of doubt on the fact of him being first choice.

No doubt we are talking to a number of candidates as anyone would for any job. People on here citing that the club is a shambles after being 'rejected' are the same people who will use anything they can to wallop the club with at any opportunity.

4 hours ago, repman said:

Obviously Webber made the decision pre-Brentford to sack Farke because he couldn't see where the next win would come from. He had no idea who would come in, but he must have been convinced we would be going down with Farke at the helm.

In which case Webber's judgement was doubly faulty.

Time for Webber to hand in his resignation.

25 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Because we might as well have stuck with DF. Smith has shown that he is no better, maybe worse because of his spending, at getting his team to play well in the EPL.

None of us really wanted Lampard either. But he probably had more pros than Smith has.

I agree we might aswell have stuck with DF than get Smith, but for me it applies just as much if not more to Lampard, who has even less relevant experience.

What a waste of time - Smith is no better at this point in time - he's just got the boot for a similar downturn in fortunes - might as well have stuck it out with Farke.

Glad Lampard is out though - we need Knutsen!

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

I agree we might aswell have stuck with DF than get Smith, but for me it applies just as much if not more to Lampard, who has even less relevant experience.

I think given his stature in the game, character, and winning mentality,  Lampard gets more out of this group of players in the short term. Smith will be well liked, but I'm not sure he'll get everything out of the players. I imagine, and could be wrong, an air of comfort around Colney and Carrow road with Smith in charge.