Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

Lampard turns us down

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I think given his stature in the game, character, and winning mentality,  Lampard gets more out of this group of players in the short term. Smith will be well liked, but I'm not sure he'll get everything out of the players. I imagine, and could be wrong, an air of comfort around Colney and Carrow road with Smith in charge.

I completely get that line of thinking but I also believe its based on blind hope than any evidence. He certainly couldn't get that Derby team overperforming even in the short term. With the players they had, they should have been winning the title, not us that season.

16 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

If he didn’t want to be here - he shouldn’t have been appointed anyway. We learnt that with Naismith. That said we see, once again, the familiar pattern of this club failing to land its targets. I guess we go down the list until announcing Russel Martin in 2 weeks time! 

Total guesswork on my part, but with all the media reporting Lampard wanted to job, I suspect he was keen initially, but withdrew after considering the restrictive spans of control he would have to operate under, and / or the fact that he wouldn't be able to strengthen the squad in the way would want (and that Webber would lead recruitment) and / or the fact that he'd be operating under a director of football who perhaps he didn't gel with.  Webber's hardly charismatic.

Lampard's a winner and needs to succeed in his next role after Chelsea and perhaps he felt the odds were stacked against him here.

1 minute ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Total guesswork on my part, but with all the media reporting Lampard wanted to job, I suspect he was keen initially, but withdrew after considering the restrictive spans of control he would have to operate under, and / or the fact that he wouldn't be able to strengthen the squad in the way would want (and that Webber would lead recruitment) and / or the fact that he'd be operating under a director of football who perhaps he didn't gel with.  Webber's hardly charismatic.

Lampard's a winner and needs to succeed in his next role after Chelsea and perhaps he felt the odds were stacked against him here.

I imagine some of that is correct 

during to chat interview he would of been told wages budget and all about Webber 

somerhing put him off I don’t think it was location as frank has enough r in rangers money for private jet down to London airport or driver after game 

I think it was more about how much control he would have transfers etc 

I think I heard Harry rednapp say he was excited about talking to Us so something went wrong or he is going to safer job in rangers

Just because someone has a "winning mentality" as a player doesn't mean they'll have it as a manager. There's certainly nothing in Lampard's CV so far that indicates he has it as a manager.

Hell, Roy Keane was probably the ultimate in winning mentality, but his record as a manager is bang average.

I would think Lampard would have wanted a sizeable transfer budget in January which obviously wouldn't happen.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I completely get that line of thinking but I also believe its based on blind hope than any evidence. He certainly couldn't get that Derby team overperforming even in the short term. With the players they had, they should have been winning the title, not us that season.

There was still a lot of over paid dross in that Derby team, that Lampard didn't bring in. 

I didn't want Lampard or Smith anyway. Knutson had far more appeal, as did Nuno and others.