4 minutes ago, Walcombe canary said:

New manager should have been getting to know and coach those players not called away

The players not on international duty are off until Friday 

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

Of course has hasn't won a league, do you know what teams has was even managing and the incredible levels of overperformance he's instigated at each of them?

He took a below average Hertha team to 4th in the league with a very limited budget.,

Took BMG who hadn't been a force in German football in donkeys years from the verge of relegation to 4th and 3rd place finishes in the bundesliga whilst bringing through some great youth players.

Then took Nice to 3rd - their highest league finish in over 40 years.

Finally went to Dortmund and lead them to successive 2nd place finishes (the same highest place as both Tuchel and Klopp since 12/13).

So yes, he hasn't won titles, but what he has done is performed superbly at pretty much every club he's been at, in most cases under circumstances where nobody would have expected the finishes and results they managed. It's like taking sides such as Palace, Leeds and Southampton to finish 3rd-4th in the PL and then being criticised for not finishing above Man City or Chelsea...

Oh, and he's also not had below a 40% win rate since 2000 despite the sides he's been at!

Good record then.

Does he speak English? 

I can only find evidence that he speaks French and German.

These little details are quite important I feel. I can't really see a 64 year old putting himself through an intensive English language course, if he wanted to manage in England he'd have done that decades ago.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Good record then.

Does he speak English? 

These little details are quite important I feel. 

He certainly does:

I'm not saying it's perfectly fluent, but he absolutely does speak and understand it to a reasonable degree.

Edited by Indy_Bones

46 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The players not on international duty are off until Friday 

The first people to know will be the players, so I cannot see any announcement before then.

Probably Saturday to allow them to get back home and then to Colney for the meet up.

I'd be thoroughly underwhelmed if it were Lampard.

As others have rightly pointed out, he's probably worse than Farke - so would make the whole saga a bit nonsensical.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kirku said:

I'd be thoroughly underwhelmed if it were Lampard.

As others have rightly pointed out, he's probably worse than Farke - so would make the whole saga a bit nonsensical.

I always liked Lampard as a player, and he seems a good bloke too. But I don’t want us to hire someone just because of their profile, and the concerning thing is, that seems to be more important than anything else to a lot of the fans! I want someone who might have a chance of getting us out of this mess with any luck, and the single most concerning aspect for me that some seem oblivious to is Lampard’s defensive record at Chelsea. He dropped a long list of players that Tuchel is starting like Alonso and Rudiger (!). Not great judgement there - at all! I daren’t even think how that would translate here, but it’s a *massive* red flag. 

As I say, take the name away and then present that persons managerial record to the Norwich supporters. If they didn’t know who it was then everyone would be going crazy at the suggestion! 

Regardless, I don’t think it’s Lampard unless we’re battling Villa for him, which in a way has come at a bad time for us as we’re likely in direct competition for certain coaches now. 

My thoughts are that if we wanted Lampard and he wanted to come here, I don’t see why it would take so long to sort out. He’s unattached, in the country, it should be a relative formality in the scheme of things.

What would take time however is uprooting a coach and his team from abroad who is already under contract. So as each day goes by, I’m leaning more and more to it being someone from abroad.

• Like 1

The fear for me is that we go for Lampard hoping that his "name" being attached to us will bring positive commentary in the media etc. We don't need someone with a name. We need someone with fresh ideas who is happy to work with the players we have's  potential. 

Knutsen would be a good choice for me, predominantly because of the way his teams play and also getting a tune out of the team. Nobody greater than the sum of their parts etc. They (Bodo) don't have a glut of incredible players to choose from but their spirit and style of play has taken them further than they'd imagined. 

That is what we need. In spades. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Favre is a miserable old sod though.

A video of a recent training session of ours showed that our players are really not enjoying themselves anymore.

We need a manager who can lighten the mood a bit, lift a weight off their shoulders, they are all deeply depressed. We don't need a carbon copy of Farke. 

Alex Ferguson wasn’t exactly famous for his witty repartee but he managed to get a couple of decent results.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Good record then.

Does he speak English? 

These little details are quite important I feel. I can't really see a 64 year old putting himself through an intensive English language course, if he wanted to manage in England he'd have done that decades ago.

[cough] Bielsa [cough]

Lampard nice guy too expensive and not ideal to take us on. Would be good in dressing room for younger players but not as manager but it does look likely unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

The first people to know will be the players, so I cannot see any announcement before then.

Probably Saturday to allow them to get back home and then to Colney for the meet up.

Good point Pants, I didn't actually think of that. 

14 hours ago, Petriix said:

No from me. Nowhere near the footballing intelligence required.

And Farke did have? Certainly not in the premiership!

55 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

As all our players are away until the end of next week there id plenty of time to get in a new head coach.

It's this Friday but agree with you

43 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

And Farke did have? Certainly not in the premiership!

The two Championship titles, record number of points and, in particular, the exciting style of attractive football played under Farke would suggest so. The Premier League was a different matter with a fair amount of mitigation. Lampard has shown no managerial ability in terms of getting a team set up to perform as more than the sum of its parts, particularly in defence. If he couldn't get the Chelsea players defending well then how do you suppose he would fair with our talented group?

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The two Championship titles, record number of points and, in particular, the exciting style of attractive football played under Farke would suggest so. The Premier League was a different matter with a fair amount of mitigation. Lampard has shown no managerial ability in terms of getting a team set up to perform as more than the sum of its parts, particularly in defence. If he couldn't get the Chelsea players defending well then how do you suppose he would fair with our talented group?

I may well have missed something with Lampard (because I don't pay too much attention to other teams), but I thought his time at Derby was hugely underwhelming - didn't they spend a lot of money, get some very promising players on loan (e.g Mount, Tomori, Wilson) and yet only just scrape into the playoffs?

All in the same season that Farke won the league with fewer resources and fewer "big club favours"? 

Edited by kirku

I always campaigned on here that Farke needed a defensive coach alongside him, to enable Farke to focus on bringing youngsters through and the attacking side of the team.  

If it is to be Lampard, as others have noted, his defensive coaching prowess is unproven, so he will need the support of a good defensive coach alongside him.  Perhaps this is the focus of the discussions about backroom staff revealed by the journos.  As long as it is not Terry .....  .

I think it would be exciting for English football

to have three young English managers in the league eg

Lampard to Norwich, Gerrard to Villa and Howe to Newcastle. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I always campaigned on here that Farke needed a defensive coach alongside him, to enable Farke to focus on bringing youngsters through and the attacking side of the team.  

If it is to be Lampard, as others have noted, his defensive coaching prowess is unproven, so he will need the support of a good defensive coach alongside him.  Perhaps this is the focus of the discussions about backroom staff revealed by the journos.  As long as it is not Terry .....  .

We already have a shoddy defensive record, his Derby side was not set up to be that fantastic defensively. But, having said that, it depends on the coaching team built around him. If Norwich feel Lampard is the right man, I'm sure they will give him the tools to do well and assemble a decent team of coaching.

Think of it like Lambert and Culverhouse, since they split neither has done well but the belief is that Lambert was the people person and Culverhouse was the tactic nous. 

Well, if it's fat Frank then the positives are that he should be able to get the best out of Gilmour, and if we get the player he is supposed to be playing in yellow and green then that would be like a new signing. Likes attacking football and his playing career will command instant respect. High profile name (though not for anything he has done from the dugout). Experience of managing a top club and of playing for one, so will instantly notice if things about our set-up are wrong. Pundits will love him and the attitude towards us will Im sure turn positive overnight. No compensation to pay to get him. Likely to have the ear of prominent people to help him and the club out when required. Knowledge of managing in the Prem and Championship, no Brexit-related problems.

Cons - inexperienced, defensively suspect. We were already naive, Frank is wetter behind the ears than Farke. Tactically unproven. Is he adaptable? How will he feel about working under a DoF?

Not the worst appointment, but still would prefer a seasoned hand such as Hodgson. Though England did lose to Iceland and its hard to forget that.

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Well, if it's fat Frank then the positives are that he should be able to get the best out of Gilmour, and if we get the player he is supposed to be playing in yellow and green then that would be like a new signing. Likes attacking football and his playing career will command instant respect. High profile name (though not for anything he has done from the dugout). Experience of managing a top club and of playing for one, so will instantly notice if things about our set-up are wrong. Pundits will love him and the attitude towards us will Im sure turn positive overnight. No compensation to pay to get him. Likely to have the ear of prominent people to help him and the club out when required. Knowledge of managing in the Prem and Championship, no Brexit-related problems.

Cons - inexperienced, defensively suspect. We were already naive, Frank is wetter behind the ears than Farke. Tactically unproven. Is he adaptable? How will he feel about working under a DoF?

Not the worst appointment, but still would prefer a seasoned hand such as Hodgson. Though England did lose to Iceland and its hard to forget that.

Why do you call him fat Frank?

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

'Arry jumping on the band wagon now.

Bang goes the finances.