The Bristol Nest

Manchester City Match Thread

5 minutes ago, Orly said:

We haven't crossed the halfway line in control of the ball once in this match that I've seen.  I don't care who the opposing team is, if you're still in the literal same league, that isn't good enough.

Interesting. And what realistic thing would you propose to remedy this?

We've crossed the halfway line multiple times, by the way, maybe you were otherwise preoccupied..

8 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Watching the goals... Both lucky finishes... 

But we can't get hold of the ball... And as soon as we do it's out for a throw in... 

That's because top top teams are not only good in possession but equally good at winning it back.

Always the problem when we can’t play out from the back, Krul launches it high and have no chance of winning it or the second ball- hence they can attack again. The PL is such an unfair playing field, time to switch off and want until we are in the Champs again

You can see why we need that midfielder in the DM role. As soon as we get a chance on the break they foul us. It's happened every time so far... 

If we are going to sit back like this then we need to play the players who can tackle and win the ball. 

7 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

For all the talk of lessons learned it's very clear that we haven't learned a damn thing. I know it's Man City but they wouldn't be doing this to Watford/Brentford/Brighton etc. 

We're still trying to tippy tap it around our own penalty box, still not getting back to defend counter attacks, still getting skinned after leaving our FB exposed, still leaving Pukki alone and isolated. Just so poor, why we didn't play Sargent so we had an out ball I have no idea. 

Man City wouldn't be 2-0 up after 40mins at home to "Watford/Brentford/Brighton etc"? 

Bold statement

It’s no doubt that we are playing one of the best club sides in the world, and we were never likely to get anything from the game, but for those asking ‘what did you expect’, the answer was definitely different to us not turning up and making it just so easy for them.

I know it’s the way we play, but other sides seem to manage to make things “difficult” for the best sides, whereas we appear to fall into the same trap time and again.

You’ll get no knee jerk reaction from me as to this impacting our season (it won’t), but you surely expect the players to have some gumption and sense, and fight.  

• Like 1

Man City's press is absolutely killing us. When we beat them we played through it fantastically, not happening today

• Like 1

Just now, Steve White said:

Always the problem when we can’t play out from the back, Krul launches it high and have no chance of winning it or the second ball- hence they can attack again. The PL is such an unfair playing field, time to switch off and want until we are in the Champs again

Come on now Steve - we're only two games in, having played the two best teams in the league! Perspective please.

OTBC

Could really do with getting that marquee centre mid through the door or at least McClean playing over Rupp. Really fail to see what he offers at prem level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Could really do with getting that marquee centre mid through the door or at least McClean playing over Rupp. Really fail to see what he offers at prem level.

I don't see what Rupp offered at Championship level to be honest, he's one that we should really be looking to offload. (I appreciate that's not happening). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Come on now Steve - we're only two games in, having played the two best teams in the league! Perspective please.

I think Chelsea and Man Utd will finish ahead of Liverpool, but I take your point.

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I have never thought he wlhad been good, not even when he was having his "good period" in the championship. Pukki is so isolated. Would much rather see Sargent or Idah on just to give us something to hit. 

9 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Compact, tight, aggressive, organised, determined .....

... and if we can't get out, then we should have Idah on the park so we can hit the ball long for him to chase, to release the pressure and move us up the pitch... 

Have you watched Norwich in the last 4 years? 

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

I don't see what Rupp offered at Championship level to be honest, he's one that we should really be looking to offload. (I appreciate that's not happening). 

Complete non-entity

5 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

For all his undoubted effort, I think Rupp is a Championship level midfielder. An OK squad player, but not first 11 in the Prem.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

9 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Of course it’s predictable, they are a top team and we aren’t 

They are a premier league team and we look nothing like it. Nowhere near in the game. 

Although we can’t read too much into this game, and I know the comparable quality in leagues from top to bottom is worse in the PL than the champs, but it is rather disappointing how easy it appears for them to play through us, whereas sides at the bottom of the championship always looked up for a fight and made it really difficult for us in the majority of our games last season. Why can’t we at least make ourselves a bit of a nuisance to the top teams in this league - even just a little bit? 

On the plus side the goals have come from an own goal and a deflection.. And that's about it I can't really think of anything else postive

And why in the hell when there's one minute left until the break did we think 'gee let's play it out at the back' when every single time we have done that it results in Man City getting the ball and a chance? Suicidal play

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Palace were promoted and became competitive 

Leeds get promoted and are competitive

Southampton went up and established themselves 

Watford went up and stayed up for a bit 

etc etc etc 

Norwich go up and every time look totally out of their depth- it’s so depressing 

Just now, WD40 said:

They are a premier league team and we look nothing like it. Nowhere near in the game. 

Get a grip.

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Although we can’t read too much into this game, and I know the comparable quality in leagues from top to bottom is worse in the PL than the champs, but it is rather disappointing how easy it appears for them to play through us, whereas sides at the bottom of the championship always looked up for a fight and made it really difficult for us in the majority of our games last season. Why can’t we at least make ourselves a bit of a nuisance to the top teams in this league - even just a little bit? 

You mean like when we beat them last time?