The Bristol Nest

Manchester City Match Thread

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s no doubt that we are playing one of the best club sides in the world, and we were never likely to get anything from the game, but for those asking ‘what did you expect’, the answer was definitely different to us not turning up and making it just so easy for them.

I know it’s the way we play, but other sides seem to manage to make things “difficult” for the best sides, whereas we appear to fall into the same trap time and again.

You’ll get no knee jerk reaction from me as to this impacting our season (it won’t), but you surely expect the players to have some gumption and sense, and fight.  

Yup, exactly this. I thought our under 18s had rocked up to begin with. 

Some people seem to think that you must not say what you see and if you do its disloyal.

What I am watching today is a team getting turned over. And it hasn't. improve over the half.

Of course its a top team. Did we think we would beat them? No. But we are looking poor and thats all you can say.

There is a reason to lose this match but that shouldn't be an excuse for not playing well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kirku said:

Get a grip.

How dare you point out we are playing against title winners away from home who are also the most expensive team in history with a few of their players being worth what all of our squad is

Don't you know we should be up 5 nill if we stand a chance of staying up this season? 😉

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Palace were promoted and became competitive 

Leeds get promoted and are competitive

Southampton went up and established themselves 

Watford went up and stayed up for a bit 

etc etc etc 

Norwich go up and every time look totally out of their depth- it’s so depressing 

Relegation fights are predicated on results against Liverpool and Man City. 

Everyone knows that.

• Like 1

Just now, kirku said:

Interesting. And what realistic thing would you propose to remedy this?

We've crossed the halfway line multiple times, by the way, maybe you were otherwise preoccupied..

I was actually.  Had to duck out to deal with some 'rona related issues, hence my caveat. 

Also I didn't suggest I had a solution - but trying anything would be preferable to continual 1 way traffic.  I merely pointed out that the first 30 minutes were not good enough, regardless of our premier league opposition, which I stand by.

I suppose at least we've improved a little now, but that's not saying much.  Hope Farke works some magic, too many heads dropped after that first goal, and it's a bit early in the season for that to happen for my liking.

10 minutes ago, kirku said:

Man City wouldn't be 2-0 up after 40mins at home to "Watford/Brentford/Brighton etc"? 

Bold statement

Typical knee jerk reaction from a section of our fan base I’m afraid 

some most probably think the teams mentioned would be 3-0 up at half time v the premier  league champions . 

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

How dare you point out we are playing against title winners away from home who are also the most expensive team in history with a few of their players being worth what all of our squad is

Don't you know we should be up 5 nill if we stand a chance of staying up this season? 😉

Do you want to list the teams we are allowed to be competitive against? Then we can support our team on those few days and enjoy being spanked on the others. Didn’t realise that is how it works 

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Palace were promoted and became competitive 

Leeds get promoted and are competitive

Southampton went up and established themselves 

Watford went up and stayed up for a bit 

etc etc etc 

Norwich go up and every time look totally out of their depth- it’s so depressing 

Being honest though DCB, you are always miserable 😁

• Haha 2

No need to panic just yet but we are making it really easy for Man City. Their quality is making us look worse than we are but it's the same old problems and issues we saw in 2019/20.

They are working and pressing like demons and we're not matching that desire or work rate. It's a tough ask today, we still look short on fitness, Pukki and absolute passenger.

Please please please Webber stiffen up that midfield next week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Get a grip.

What about this performance looks premier league?

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I can tell you one thing, Brentford wouldn't be 2-0 down to this lot at halftime. Embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Although we can’t read too much into this game, and I know the comparable quality in leagues from top to bottom is worse in the PL than the champs, but it is rather disappointing how easy it appears for them to play through us, whereas sides at the bottom of the championship always looked up for a fight and made it really difficult for us in the majority of our games last season. Why can’t we at least make ourselves a bit of a nuisance to the top teams in this league - even just a little bit? 

Despite the result, I did see some positives out of the Liverpool game but we are making it far too easy for Man City today. 

OTBC

6 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Come on now Steve - we're only two games in, having played the two best teams in the league! Perspective please.

OTBC

Of course you are right Disco, I have been a City supporter for over a half century and am fairly used to City getting battered against the big teams (esp Man C) but the divide is enormous and - hopeless. The divide is now so big the only way my enthusiasm will be re lit is of the greedy ”top 6” **** off and play in their oen league

We look vulnerable on the flanks - Grealish in acres of room. 

I'd like to see Sargent on for Pukki so there's an outside chance of the ball sticking if Krul goes long, which he did need to do. 

To persist with a static three man midfield with a kid in the middle of it, that is easily bypassed defensively, and had nobody in front of it is criminal. 

Play two holders and put someone behind pukki ffs, you know, like we have played for three years! Dowell must be fuming. 

Just now, kirku said:

I can tell you one thing, Brentford wouldn't be 2-0 down to this lot at halftime. Embarrassing.

Really? I’d bet money they will be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Man City have only had 1 shot on target. That's very positive...

Something I pointed out. Own goal and lucky deflection their only goals despite them dominating us. That's at least something I guess.. 🙃

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

No need to panic just yet but we are making it really easy for Man City. Their quality is making us look worse than we are but it's the same old problems and issues we saw in 2019/20.

They are working and pressing like demons and we're not matching that desire or work rate. It's a tough ask today, we still look short on fitness, Pukki and absolute passenger.

Please please please Webber stiffen up that midfield next week.

Exactly. But you must not say that because you are a disloyal, pant wetter whereas in reality you are just commentating on what you are watching without preconceived ideas that we can't play well because its Man C.

3 minutes ago, Orly said:

I was actually.  Had to duck out to deal with some 'rona related issues, hence my caveat. 

Also I didn't suggest I had a solution - but trying anything would be preferable to continual 1 way traffic.  I merely pointed out that the first 30 minutes were not good enough, regardless of our premier league opposition, which I stand by.

I suppose at least we've improved a little now, but that's not saying much.  Hope Farke works some magic, too many heads dropped after that first goal, and it's a bit early in the season for that to happen for my liking.

Using anecdotes from a game you've partially watched probably isn't the soundest basis for criticism, even by forum standards

1 minute ago, Steve White said:

Of course you are right Disco, I have been a City supporter for over a half century and am fairly used to City getting battered against the big teams (esp Man C) but the divide is enormous and - hopeless. The divide is now so big the only way my enthusiasm will be re lit is of the greedy ”top 6” **** off and play in their oen league

I hear you brother. I was hoping the super league would go ahead just so we could get rid of the lot of them for good.

OTBC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Really? I’d bet money they will be.

I was being sarcastic following a previous post

24 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

No one enjoys watching their team lose but I have the ability of foresight and realism

If anyone expected anything different after the preseason and squad turnaround we had then they need their head checking 

we never turn up before the end of august start of September under Farke so why was this season going to be any different 

chill the f*<k out and enjoy the ride 

But for today's game......"chill the f*<k out and endure the ride".....

1 minute ago, kirku said:

I was being sarcastic following a previous post

Oh my apologies! I approve of your sarcasm 🙂 we need to start using a /s or something so hard to tell on here with some of the comments.

Edited by Monty13

Perhaps that shambles of a half will be what it takes for us to finally learn our lesson because to be frank we appear to have learnt nothing from 2 seasons ago.

webber needs the go out snd get us a physical midfielder who can actually tackle tomorrow.

Farke also has to learn. The tactics today so far have been horrific. You need to be hard to push against, play for territory and foul these f**kers whenever moves start to develop. They have done that to us on every (rare) occasion we’ve crossed the half way line. You need to be good at set pieces. You need to rough them up a bit. Snd you fo not need to be constantly playing stupid, short goal kicks that let them press and pin you back from the first minute.

Incredibly naive today, but perhaps not a disaster if we learn as we were always likely to lose anyway.

To be honest we don't look that bothered.

For all these players to come out and say "we're excited to be playing in the PL", they sure ain't don't look very excited to me.

31 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I would take Rupp off, put on Omodabele.

I would take Rupp off, put on Gunn

• Haha 1