Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

John Lundstram has been released from Sheffield United. 27, couple of years of Premiership experience, knows the league and the Championship. Might not always be a starter, but could certainly give us an option, I'd think.

Be interesting to see where he goes, he had an outstanding season when Sheff Utd were initially promoted but refused to sign a new contract and so I think Wilder dropped him for a while. I’d imagine a lower or mid Prem club will come in for him, Burnley perhaps? But it’s a good shout Gunny, as Webber’s acknowledged that we need a bit more muscle this time around, and he certainly would provide that.

28 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Be interesting to see where he goes, he had an outstanding season when Sheff Utd were initially promoted but refused to sign a new contract and so I think Wilder dropped him for a while. I’d imagine a lower or mid Prem club will come in for him, Burnley perhaps? But it’s a good shout Gunny, as Webber’s acknowledged that we need a bit more muscle this time around, and he certainly would provide that.

Precisely my thinking. There's a nicely rounded midfielder in there at his best, but definitely one who will provide physicality and bite. Sure, we're not going to confuse him with Vrancic any time soon when it comes to hitting incisive passes, but he could be a more physical version of Rupp.

@shefcanary will probably know far more going off the objections raised but as far as I understood it, Lundstram did not sign a new contract and was also essentially replaced by Berge before the Norwegian got injured, then essentially didn't play too well afterwards. I just wonder if a settled contract and settled role with us as a good rotation option with the chance to take over if he plays well, as Farke will usually do, could tempt him?

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Precisely my thinking. There's a nicely rounded midfielder in there at his best, but definitely one who will provide physicality and bite. Sure, we're not going to confuse him with Vrancic any time soon when it comes to hitting incisive passes, but he could be a more physical version of Rupp.

@shefcanary will probably know far more going off the objections raised but as far as I understood it, Lundstram did not sign a new contract and was also essentially replaced by Berge before the Norwegian got injured, then essentially didn't play too well afterwards. I just wonder if a settled contract and settled role with us as a good rotation option with the chance to take over if he plays well, as Farke will usually do, could tempt him?

I think it’s a really good shout actually, Gunny. Not someone I think that immediately springs to mind, but he’s a very good example of a player with some qualities that were missing for us last time around. He arguably played a massive part in *that* Sheff Utd season. And available on a free too. Would actually be very surprised if that’s not one we’ve at least looked at anyway. But I could also very much see him going to a Burnley or suchlike who would almost certainly offer a more lucrative contract than ourselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

£14m?! Carlton Morris cost them £300k and bagged 7 in 21. Thought Dike was a bit of a donkey in the play offs and just kept getting in the way of Morris. If they wanted another Norwich striker we'd probably sell them Hugill for hallf that.

That deal was in place to keep them from being gazumped if they managed to get promoted and Barnsley actually wanted first crack. His market isn’t £14M+20%sell on, but he is for sale. Only mentioned because he was linked, whether seriously or just ****e in print. He is only 20 with 44 games as a professional. Morris is 25 and has kitted up for the entire football league, he outplayed his fee but he is what he is at this point. I’m not sure Barnsley could afford Hugill.

On 30/05/2021 at 21:52, Terminally Yellow said:

Not sure what the obsession is with getting business done quickly. For me, I'd rather we get it right than get it quick but wrong.

As a general rule, it's considered better to have new players in early so they can go through the same pre-season schedule at the same time as the rest of the team. Consider it an integration aid, not to mention a prime opportunity to bed them in pre-season matches with nothing much at stake beyond fitness top-ups and places in the team.

The struggles we've had with January window signings (Duda and Rupp's initial spell being particularly fine examples) should clarify that.

• Like 4

bit of a 2 plus 2 here but listening to Peterborough chairman's podcast, sounds like Flynn Clarke has refused a deal and is off to a "prem club" which is "where he was looking at previously"

We were heavily linked in Jan so it sounds like he's coming our way unless some other side has got involved privately?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

bit of a 2 plus 2 here but listening to Peterborough chairman's podcast, sounds like Flynn Clarke has refused a deal and is off to a "prem club" which is "where he was looking at previously"

We were heavily linked in Jan so it sounds like he's coming our way unless some other side has got involved privately?

I reckon you might be on to something here 👍

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

21 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I reckon you might be on to something here 👍

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterborough-united-teenager-is-off-to-the-premier-league-3257902%3famp

You were spot on @Tetteys Jig

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Seems like another good bit of recruitment for the future, and in a key position too as a number 10. Really exciting to imagine the potential of some of these signings coming to be, especially as we look for future replacements for key players.

12 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Yeah this is actually a great shout. Fits the bill.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Telegraph linking us with Adam Armstrong today who could be an excellent Pukki alternative. 

Can we say this is the first 'exciting' link we've had or are we all thinking this one is a non-start with the fee and a link to West Ham? I'd be really happy to see Pukki have some direct competition but I'm also surprised to see us linked with a striker who is going to cost north of 10 million and isn't a wide man. 

10 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Can we say this is the first 'exciting' link we've had or are we all thinking this one is a non-start with the fee and a link to West Ham? I'd be really happy to see Pukki have some direct competition but I'm also surprised to see us linked with a striker who is going to cost north of 10 million and isn't a wide man. 

He can play anywhere on the front line essentially. I think he would get bullied too much by a Prem defence in all honesty, he's just too small. A good operator but just unsure whether he's be able to cut it in the Prem

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Telegraph linking us with Adam Armstrong today who could be an excellent Pukki alternative. 

Would be very chuffed to pull this off 

58 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Seems like a total non-starter to me - but a player that I would like to see Norwich sign. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Seems like a total non-starter to me - but a player that I would like to see Norwich sign. 

It would certainly be a statement of intent, would be worth it just to shut the 'Norwich doing it on the cheap' crowd up!

Can't see it myself though, no doubt we like the look of him but barring a player leaving for big money I just cant see us coughing up the cash, especially if we have to compete with top flight competition for him.

I haven't seen much of him and we kept him quiet when we played them. Can he play in the 3 behind or is he another poacher like Pukki? I don't think we need to spend big on another Pukki like striker just yet, he has a few more years at the top level for me and the money would be better spent elsewhere and since we've had him he's never been injured long. I think we need a strong pacy attacker who can dribble past players if we're going to sign a forward this year basically a big upgrade on Hernandez or a Huckerby style player with more strength.

23 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Lundstram had looked like the Curate's egg in the promotion season for them; he was far from consistent and Wilder didn't use him as a physical midfield presence, which has been suggested on this thread.  He surprised many in the Blades first season in EPL by seemingly finding a degree of consistency and physicality that had been lacking.  He was never fast though, and not particularly creative.  Something happened in his relationship with the club / Wilder over the close season, as right from the start he seemed to be sulking, irrespective of Berge's arrival you would have expected a more positive reaction.  If fans had been in Bramall Lane he would have been a target, judging by my Blades mates, who couldn't wait for him to be sold. When it became known he wanted away the fans were disappointed he wasn't sold quickly, and there's no doubt his on field demeanour demonstrated that team spirit had disappeared. 

So, in conclusion, if he puts his mind to it, he can be a midfield presence, but he's far from either being a Kante or a Grealish.  In fact, in McLean we have a better and more versatile player already, and I'm by far Kenny's biggest fan as I see him as a Jack of all trades, master of none type player.  Lundstram is a shade poorer in my view, and has an attitude problem to boot.  Sorry, but he won't pass the "personality profile" test Norwich use to select new signings.  Take it from me, Lundstram will not be high on Webber's list, don't think he'd make it at all.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Lundstram had looked like the Curate's egg in the promotion season for them; he was far from consistent and Wilder didn't use him as a physical midfield presence, which has been suggested on this thread.  He surprised many in the Blades first season in EPL by seemingly finding a degree of consistency and physicality that had been lacking.  He was never fast though, and not particularly creative.  Something happened in his relationship with the club / Wilder over the close season, as right from the start he seemed to be sulking, irrespective of Berge's arrival you would have expected a more positive reaction.  If fans had been in Bramall Lane he would have been a target, judging by my Blades mates, who couldn't wait for him to be sold. When it became known he wanted away the fans were disappointed he wasn't sold quickly, and there's no doubt his on field demeanour demonstrated that team spirit had disappeared. 

So, in conclusion, if he puts his mind to it, he can be a midfield presence, but he's far from either being a Kante or a Grealish.  In fact, in McLean we have a better and more versatile player already, and I'm by far Kenny's biggest fan as I see him as a Jack of all trades, master of none type player.  Lundstram is a shade poorer in my view, and has an attitude problem to boot.  Sorry, but he won't pass the "personality profile" test Norwich use to select new signings.  Take it from me, Lundstram will not be high on Webber's list, don't think he'd make it at all.

I don’t know anything about his personality, but all I will say is that for a player you’ve painted as basically cr@p, he remarkably therefore got the nation an absolutely outstanding amount of points in Fantasy Football League that first season. I understand there’s an obvious bitterness towards JL in the red and white half of Sheffield right now, but I’m sorry, he was easily their best player by far other than Henderson in PL 2019/20. 

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

I don’t know anything about his personality, but all I will say is that for a player you’ve painted as basically cr@p, he remarkably therefore got the nation an absolutely outstanding amount of points in Fantasy Football League that first season. I understand there’s an obvious bitterness towards JL in the red and white half of Sheffield right now, but I’m sorry, he was easily their best player by far other than Henderson in PL 2019/20. 

He was a big hit in fantasy because he counted as a defender but played in midfield and scored a few goals! 

• Like 1

A big unit, gets around a bit and knows where the goal is. If his head is right, why not? Unless wages are an issue?

Lundstram?? No thanks, we already have better in our back up players, would be a pointless signing. 

40 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He was a big hit in fantasy because he counted as a defender but played in midfield and scored a few goals! 

Was good for an assist too, Jim! Not sure he’d fit the bill from a character POV as ShefCanary has pointed out, but in many aspects I think we could do with a couple of big geezers in the side - people always go on about the physicality of the Championship, but the sides are even stronger and fitter in the Premier League.

With the links in recent days to Adam Armstrong and Daryl Dike, it’s reminded me that we rarely go for ‘well known’ players. I wouldn’t be surprised at all in fact if every single one of our summer signings is plucked straight out of relative obscurity, I don’t expect to have heard of any of them before in all honesty!

This Rade Krunic link on the home page is very interesting- I know agents like to chat but its rare they mention clubs by name like this.

I wonder if he might be a loan to buy option- there is talk that lots of bigger teams are keen to clear ages so more open to loaning out players than before. If so sounds like it would be quite a coup.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

This Rade Krunic link on the home page is very interesting- I know agents like to chat but its rare they mention clubs by name like this.

I wonder if he might be a loan to buy option- there is talk that lots of bigger teams are keen to clear ages so more open to loaning out players than before. If so sounds like it would be quite a coup.

A Bosnian midfielder being linked with us you say..?

86e.png

On 17/05/2021 at 23:49, sonyc said:

Latest winger to be linked. This ticks two boxes in terms of what we are allegedly looking for (young and upcoming as well as a winger). Also, wasn't it mentioned that we were going to look closely at the top two French tiers? 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/employee tracking system-rumours-mehdi-zerkane-bordeaux-7979878

With Brighton putting a 40 million price tag on Bissouma from Mali, where does that move Aarons and Cantwell to. Especially with UK players at a premium

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Interesting, cheers Kingo. Can’t confess to knowing anything about him but if Paolo Maldini thinks he’s a good player then that’s good enough for me! Would be a nice signing to show other prospective players that we mean business this year.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/agent-claims-canaries-are-interested-in-milan-midfielder-8025034

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

He's a good player and would be an upgrade on Kenny. Was surprised to see the agent specifically mention Norwich alone, rather than reeling off a list of club names that they normally do. Does seem like he is trying to drum up a bit of interest as Norwich probably isn't where Krunic was hoping to land. 

Milan's finances aren't terrible it seems so they might hold out for an upfront fee - Krunic may only prefer a loan though.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

I really hope it isn’t a loan