Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

24 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

This guy is reported to be Villa's 2nd choice if Emi goes to Arsenal and seeing how close Villa is to WBA i doubt City  could bring him here in those circumstances.

Would love Perreira but I think there’ll be plenty of competition for that signature. And a journalist is reporting on Twitter in the last hour that Aston Villa have moved ahead in the race to sign Emi - Arsenal aren’t close to meeting our demands apparently. Bit of a sideways move if that one happens. 

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Would love Perreira but I think there’ll be plenty of competition for that signature. And a journalist is reporting on Twitter in the last hour that Aston Villa have moved ahead in the race to sign Emi - Arsenal aren’t close to meeting our demands apparently. Bit of a sideways move if that one happens. 

Apart from money can’t see what he gains by moving to Villa, very disappointing, what’s the point of trying to get promoted then sell your only chance of staying up

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I'd be disappointed if Emi joined Villa.

Arsenal and Atletico are clearly big clubs and big steps up, so he'd go with my blessing. But Villa? It would be a small step up but not a significant one, and I genuinely believe he'd be better off staying here for another season and waiting for something better next year.

Emi would push for a move to Arsenal, Atletico or similar and rightly so if they were to offer a realistic £40m, but would he really push for a move to Villa? I'd like to think we could turn down £40m from Villa and Emi wouldn't be upset enough to force a move.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Apart from money can’t see what he gains by moving to Villa, very disappointing, what’s the point of trying to get promoted then sell your only chance of staying up

I agree, the only justification for Emi’s sale as far as I’m concerned is for him to join a top side that can almost certainly guarantee being in the mix for trophies and European football year in year out.

That, with the greatest of respect to Aston Villa, is not them. If he makes a sideways move then there will be a lot of angry Norwich fans, pretty sure of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Dunno, Giannoulis has been a very good find IMO.

No problem with Giannoulis. 

But he is 3 times as expensive as Bjørkan, and he is not Norwegian 🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Surely that can only be a possibility if Aarons leaves? We wouldn't be able to offer first team otherwise, so the loan wouldn't make no sense to Liverpool or Williams.

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Surely that can only be a possibility if Aarons leaves? We wouldn't be able to offer first team otherwise, so the loan wouldn't make no sense to Liverpool or Williams.

Good point, Wacky - for some reason I thought he was a CB, but that could be because he might have been deployed in that position at times this season due to Liverpool’s injury crisis. Can’t say I know anything about him really, but my feeling is that Max will go this window and we will likely benefit overall from such a sale. Love Max but wouldn’t be gutted if he moved on for the right price - the difference being to Emi is that I believe he’s more replaceable, and he has kept his counsel with dignity - he certainly hasn’t made any stupid statements hinting he won’t be leaving the club unless the offer of European football and silverware is put on the table. And that I can totally understand. Emi on the other hand has moved on to a club where it’s highly debatable whether they will provide that so I’m not so sure he loved Norwich quite as much as he said. It’s not the European football and silverware challenging move that as I understood was the whole point of him moving on from us, and one which would have made things far more palatable.

On 05/06/2021 at 16:46, Alex Moss said:
On 05/06/2021 at 16:37, CANARYKING said:

I agree, the only justification for Emi’s sale as far as I’m concerned is for him to join a top side that can almost certainly guarantee being in the mix for trophies and European football year in year out.

That, with the greatest of respect to Aston Villa, is not them. If he makes a sideways move then there will be a lot of angry Norwich fans, pretty sure of that.

I agree too, but why should fans be angry?  Surely the decision would have been Emi's to move to Villa, not the club's?  We don't know all the ins and outs of it, but it feels to me like Emi wanted to move, his agent pushing for it too. Along come Villa and meet the valuation requirement of up to £40m and then it was up to him, presumably.

My overiding feeling is one of disappointment for the player more than anything.  He maybe thinks or been duped into thinking Villa are a bigger club on the up, but is Dean Smith as good a coach as Farke....I doubt it - and as a "big" club they are serial under achievers, often capable of good football, but rarely getting anywhere in the PL. 

Disappointed for him (apart from the money he'll make) but anger?  Towards whom? 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree too, but why should fans be angry?  Surely the decision would have been Emi's to move to Villa, not the club's?  We don't know all the ins and outs of it, but it feels to me like Emi wanted to move, his agent pushing for it too. Along come Villa and meet the valuation requirement of up to £40m and then it was up to him, presumably.

My overiding feeling is one of disappointment for the player more than anything.  He maybe thinks or been duped into thinking Villa are a bigger club on the up, but is Dean Smith as good a coach as Farke....I doubt it - and as a "big" club they are serial under achievers, often capable of good football, but rarely getting anywhere in the PL. 

Disappointed for him (apart from the money he'll make) but anger?  Towards whom? 

Emi. The justification that he would move to a club that were chasing trophies and Europe I could totally understand - that in my opinion was a valid reason. And I think most of us were quite cool about that as for a long time it would appear he’d be going to Arsenal. I honestly didn’t believe Emi would agree to move to Villa, so I was very calm about that not really being a starter even with the bid accepted - I thought if anything Villa would be quite helpful in driving up Arsenals final bid, but how wrong I was. So yes, I’m very disappointed in Emi - as I’ve said numerous times the guy strongly hinted he’d give us another season or so, and I think a lot of us thought perhaps naively that’s what we’d get before he went to an Arsenal, or who knows, someone even bigger next summer. We got neither. He jumped at the first opportunity to neither! He went to Aston Villa!

Honestly, the guys left a sour taste in my mouth to be honest, so in that case I’m actually pleased he’s gone now, and regardless, I trust Webber to find some new players that won’t spend half the season suspended anyway 👍

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Another ship about to sail??

image.png.9d3f7bc4209b0d017b1065327fc128b9.png

Join a team that's about to play in the Europa League or join a team that just sold it's main chance of staying up and has signed a softcore fetish gambling site sponser..

Decisions decisions..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Emi. The justification that he would move to a club that were chasing trophies and Europe I could totally understand - that in my opinion was a valid reason. And I think most of us were quite cool about that as for a long time it would appear he’d be going to Arsenal. I honestly didn’t believe Emi would agree to move to Villa, so I was very calm about that not really being a starter even with the bid accepted - I thought if anything Villa would be quite helpful in driving up Arsenals final bid, but how wrong I was. So yes, I’m very disappointed in Emi - as I’ve said numerous times the guy strongly hinted he’d give us another season or so, and I think a lot of us thought perhaps naively that’s what we’d get before he went to an Arsenal, or who knows, someone even bigger next summer. We got neither. He jumped at the first opportunity to neither! He went to Aston Villa!

Honestly, the guys left a sour taste in my mouth to be honest, so in that case I’m actually pleased he’s gone now, and regardless, I trust Webber to find some new players that won’t spend half the season suspended anyway 👍

I agree with a lot of that, but I don't really blame him, I just think he's been badly advised by whoever he spoke to about it, whether it was his agent, other players, or whoever.  Maybe the money was a big part of it and he does have a family to look after, but apart from that, there doesn't seem a lot of sense in the move.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Agree 100%. There has been an avalanche of hype about Buendia for the last few months but the notion that was put about by some that NCFC would effectively 'vet' potential buyers and only sell to whoever was best for his future career, was always fanciful nonsense. NCFC were his employer, nothing more and nothing less and (in the form of Webber) were only interested in levering out 'our valuation'. It mattered not a jot who the final buyer was. Unfortunately the boy has (arguably) only taken a moderate step up the ladder but was easily seduced by the sacksful of £'s he could see lifting up every weekend as he made his way home.       

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with a lot of that, but I don't really blame him, I just think he's been badly advised by whoever he spoke to about it, whether it was his agent, other players, or whoever.  Maybe the money was a big part of it and he does have a family to look after, but apart from that, there doesn't seem a lot of sense in the move.

Yep, I think it’s very easy to forget the money side of it as well. Ultimately I just think Emi, knowing what he meant to the Norwich fan base, would have been better advised not to hint at staying at the end of the season. And for those thinking he did want to stay, ignoring the constant sound bites to the press both here and in Argentina, and the bit of drama at the start of the season which clearly wasn’t because he wanted to be here (😂) - if the club were looking to ship him out then they certainly wouldn’t have allowed Emi to say some of the things he did at the time.

Going to be interesting if this sale and sponser issues end up affecting any of our potential transfers.

I mean, if any players who are linked to us look us up and our social media posts and fans posts and such I mean..

tenor.gif

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Going to be interesting if this sale and sponser issues end up affecting any of our potential transfers.

I mean, if any players who are linked to us look us up and our social media posts and fans posts and such I mean..

tenor.gif

Yeah, blame the fans. Smooth. 

The fan response to both events was of course, entirely predictable. 

2 hours ago, Renskay said:

I was scouring around transfermarkt to find someone with enough creativity to match half of what Buendia did and the guy I liked the look of is Jesper Lindström.

9 Goals and 9 Assists at Brondby and voted young player of the year in the Danish league .

lindstrom.PNG.5200551d752013de4c638be596d64492.PNG

He looks a good little player for sure, and that’s the great thing - there’s a lot of relatively unknown foreign footballers around the world who are very skilful with plenty of flair - sure, we won’t get Emi back, but I do think the club will surprise us all by unearthing one of those types, probably been following his career closely for some time, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we see a first return on our investment in scouting South America. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Renskay said:

I was scouring around transfermarkt to find someone with enough creativity to match half of what Buendia did and the guy I liked the look of is Jesper Lindström.

9 Goals and 9 Assists at Brondby and voted young player of the year in the Danish league .

lindstrom.PNG.5200551d752013de4c638be596d64492.PNG

Isn't one of the issues for us that this new WP system means signings like this guy will be impossible? The Danish League isn't considered a strong enough league and he's only made on appearance for the national team. Looks like a decent player but likely off the table for us.

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

Isn't one of the issues for us that this new WP system means signings like this guy will be impossible? The Danish League isn't considered a strong enough league and he's only made on appearance for the national team. Looks like a decent player but likely off the table for us.

I think it's possible. Whilst Brondby were only champions of a Band 5 league, Denmark are currently 10th in the FIFA rankings, so his lone cap last year is worth a lot. So 4 + 2 + 8 gets him to 14 points, and it looks like he's got 60+% domestic minutes to qualify for at least the final point.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

image.png.aa231f2d5c4f7444f0b831b3c8a27d5d.png

image.thumb.png.bd7a857349d5029f6c7276135d9ab75d.png

image.png.2c978d51cdaad140dcb3d55be94eb2ad.png

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

A couple of seasons ago villa would have been a sideways move, they are now mega rich and intent on buying their way to being a top 6 club. Whether they achieve that who knows, but seems in a league where wealth equates to success they have managed to convince Emi of it. Time will tell whether this was a mistake for him, but probably the huge salary they are paying him makes the risk worth it in his mind.

Its a massive shame because had we kept Emi, sold Aarons and Cantwell then reinvested that in the team I think we would have a good chance. We now have a much harder job to rebuild the team without our main creator, which means very little margin for error in the transfer market and also hoping have enough time to get the team firing without him before the season starts.

Anyway done now. OTBC

6 minutes ago, CanaryCuddles said:

A couple of seasons ago villa would have been a sideways move, they are now mega rich and intent on buying their way to being a top 6 club. Whether they achieve that who knows, but seems in a league where wealth equates to success they have managed to convince Emi of it. Time will tell whether this was a mistake for him, but probably the huge salary they are paying him makes the risk worth it in his mind.

Its a massive shame because had we kept Emi, sold Aarons and Cantwell then reinvested that in the team I think we would have a good chance. We now have a much harder job to rebuild the team without our main creator, which means very little margin for error in the transfer market and also hoping have enough time to get the team firing without him before the season starts.

Anyway done now. OTBC

Just like Chelsea were a couple of decades ago. Villa haven’t stopped spending yet and will be an interesting watch next season. 

9 minutes ago, CanaryCuddles said:

Anyway done now. OTBC

That is a very fair post, Cuddles. 

All we can do though is wait and see what we do with that money. If it brings in 2 great little players for instance that in the scheme of things actually overall combine to improve the first team as a Premier league unit then everyone’s a winner. As Stuart has said, judge the squad come the end of the window and I think to do otherwise at this stage would be foolish of us.

Don't be delusional. Villa is not a sideways move. Villa has better prospects than Arsenal. They will never run out of money.

Anyway, Emi wanted to go. Norwich wanted £35M. End of discussion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Upo said:

Don't be delusional. Villa is not a sideways move. Villa has better prospects than Arsenal. They will never run out of money.

Anyway, Emi wanted to go. Norwich wanted £35M. End of discussion.

'End of discussion'

If it were that simple- People are going to be talking about this transfer and Emi for years.

Emi hasnt been badly advised, he's stepped up. It's a simple as that. People can say Dean Smith isn't as good as Farke but he's a very competent well thought of. They'll do well next season, end of really. Essentially we need a player with a tireless work ethic to fill that void rather than just a creative influence. Dowell and Cantwell needed buendias tireless work ethic, so that's a real attribute we need in a player to feel this position now.

Edited by jaberry2

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

People are going to be talking about this transfer and Emi for years.

Of course they will. I'd say it's almost disrespectful to Emi if his departure didn't raise any controversy.

That doesn't mean we should delude ourselves about certain realities, however. Our pull factor depends on happy departures.