Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

20 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Thought they were playing too much football.

My guess is that if the authorities "cave in" you would see the EPL significantly reduced to accommodate the extra European action - 16 teams or something like that.

25 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Does the UK Government have an opinion on this - sounds like a hostile takeover of our national sport by a major US bank.... Boris? Anyone?

Presumably  the govt's line is that we should leave UEFA? We could have our own deals with other countries to join their leagues - Man Utd in the IPL or AFL?

• Haha 4

Think we’re likely to see some massive backtracking from these clubs now. Seems they believed they would be able to continue to play domestically as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Arsenal? Fair enough If based on history I suppose.. But spurs? Who's been smoking crack to class them as an elite team?

Perhaps they just thought the ground would look good in the show reel for prospective commercial partners

Let's ban all players that play a single minute of this competition from representing their country or playing for any other team for life. It's no risk for players, go to it, get paid a shedload and if it all falls apart be picked up by a different massive club and continue playing at the highest level on a (not quite as big) shedload of money.

PS, love Gary Neville's opinion. 

I honestly think this is a power play to force UEFAs hand with the restructuring of the Champions League. It’s a threat so the bigger clubs can get what they want. If it’s not than I can’t see it being successful and will be fought at every turn from inside the sport and out. FIFA has previously said players participating couldn’t play at a World Cup etc. Outside that , if governments stop the quarantine exemptions for football clubs and make everyone at the club do their 10-14 days when they enter a new country or return to their own then the whole is f’d in the a

• Like 2

Those yanks who have bought 1p5wich plan to throw the money around to get them into the PL and get amongst the riches just in time for the Big 6 and the pot of gold available in it to sail into the sunset. 😂

Can we move Man City to Abu Dhabi. It will be a franchise after-all so why not ? They can still be called the 'Citizens' same as many a NFL 'move'. St. Louis Rams to LA, San Diego Charger 'back'  to LA, Houston Tennessee Oilers. The list is endless.

Lost their very soul.

The response to this plan has been vigorous to say the least...I see national leaders falling over eachother to condemn 'Super League' like it's a crime against humanity committed by a regime that doesn't sell oil.

What started as a clever hostile takeover masterplan is rapidly morphing into a JP Morgan financed suicide pact. 

What a boring competition that would be. The Premier League is exciting precisely because of the difference in quality from the top to the bottom. The way the upper Championship teams get to fight it out for promotion while the lowere PL teams scrap to avoid relegation while the top teams battle for the Champions League spots.

It's great watching the occasional hammering while knowing that just about anyone can beat anyone else on their day. Cagey 0-0 draws between Liverpool and Real Madrid have none of that excitement, especially if neither of them can ever be relegated or fail to qualify.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Has to be approved by 14 members. Which one will the big six buy out to stop the vote? Sheffield United?

If it needs to be approved by 14 clubs surely the 6 would need to ‘buy’ 8 votes? 

It is just another version of the cake-and-eat-it plan that gets aired every so often, either as a genuine proposal or as a bargaining tool, or an option-play gambit as a bit of both.

A true European super league would involved these clubs willingly leaving their domestic leagues. Instead they plan to carry on playing domestically while calling what they think is Uefa's bluff about a ban.

Probably find the only reason PSG and Bayern Munich haven't signed up (yet) is because they both have relative monopoly's in France and Germany, which they're afraid to lose without guarantees the ESL is worth joining instead.

Just think, we might actually have a chance at winning the Premier League next year. And Champions League football as well.

What is there to hate about this?

Edited by Paint Me Yellow
  • Like 1

I don’t mind if it does go ahead, and they may regret it as it might cause them to lose fans. Like Neville has said though, if it doesn’t dock them all points at the start of next season as it’s finance related.  

37 minutes ago, Paint Me Yellow said:

Probably find the only reason PSG and Bayern Munich haven't signed up (yet) is because they both have relative monopoly's in France and Germany, which they're afraid to lose without guarantees the ESL is worth joining instead.

Can't comment on PSG but Bundesliga clubs are majority owned by fans (There's some kind of regulation stipulating this, so it's across the board, not in general). Fans have to own 51% of every Bundesliga club, which includes Bayern. There won't be any German representation in any future Euro Superleague as the fans would have to approve it, and they won't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is just another version of the cake-and-eat-it plan that gets aired every so often, either as a genuine proposal or as a bargaining tool, or an option-play gambit as a bit of both.

A true European super league would involved these clubs willingly leaving their domestic leagues. Instead they plan to carry on playing domestically while calling what they think is Uefa's bluff about a 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

6 hours ago, Badger said:

Absolutely, would love to see our 'big six' p*ss off into some sterile Pay TV reality show as long as they are excluded from all other club competitions.

Hopefully that will collapse the Premier League as well and get us back to a proper league structure with some real and enjoyable football.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Our invite got lost in the post. 

You say that. I think that it’s no coincidence that they waited until we were promoted before announcing it. I think they’re scared of playing us!!

Officially confirmed now, they've released a statement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56795811

Be interesting to see if they pursue it with the threats coming down on them from all angles.

If they do, it will either be the best possible thing to happen to English football, or the worst.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

My thoughts would be let them go, don't ever allow them back into the football League unless they start right from the bottom. They are welcome to leave but not to come back

• Like 1

Also having read this will take place in midweek, let's see these clubs manage financial fair play whilst possibly playing 4 games every 7 days

EG Monday PL, Wednesday CUP,  Friday ESL, Sunday PL

Good luck with that around Christmas...