Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just to add, this is more serious than previous plans, in the sense that it seems less like a bargaining tool and more like a genuine intention. And the opposition to it, ie the threat of kicking these clubs out of their domestic leagues, looks more like a genuine threat than in the past.

Even if it is just a really big bargaining tool, it is crucial clubs call their bluff on this. I'd rather they all ****ed off than smaller clubs agreed to give them larger %'s of TV revenue. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Even if it is just a really big bargaining tool, it is crucial clubs call their bluff on this. I'd rather they all ****ed off than smaller clubs agreed to give them larger %'s of TV revenue. 

There is a neat solution to kicking the six out of the PL. You scrap relegation, saving Sheffield United etc,  and just promote the top six from the Championship, and so on down the  pyramid...🤓

I really hope this is the one time that the official bodies such as FIFA and the premier league actually show some guts and stick to their guns on this.

There should be a no compromise message (which they are prepared to enforce) that any clubs that enter the super league will not be permitted to play in domestic leagues or competitions and any player will be ineligible for the national team. Then if they ever wanted to rejoin they would have to apply and start like any other club in the lowest division.

This could actually be a chance to get rid of the greedy top clubs and realign how the domestic leagues are structured and financed. 

All this reminds of of the time when the Premier League proposal first came out. Never going to happen, death of football etc etc. In the end money talked and the big boys got their way. I'm not saying this will all happen as per the proposal but I suspect that despite the present furore there will be some movement in order to placate the Big Six.

The one thing this has taught me over the years is that the structure of English football is never fixed in stone. I don't  think that we will ever return to a time when clubs saw themselves as an integral part of their local communities and were run by local worthies. Sad, but such is life.

• Like 2

Let them go.

Its only a matter of time before Liverpool(let's say) changed their name to reflect their owners and/or sponsors and played their home games in Miami or the Far East.

I will never support any television provider of these matches, cancelling present subscriptions if necessary, and I will never buy any product advertised as being associated with this super league. 

Now if the millions of football supporters in this country and across Europe did the same, you would really see money talk.

Just now, Yellow Wal said:

I will never support any television provider of these matches, cancelling present subscriptions if necessary, and I will never buy any product advertised as being associated with this super league. 

Now if the millions of football supporters in this country and across Europe did the same, you would really see money talk.

Absolutely this. Whilst the clubs currently have the power and prestige associated with being the "top clubs", this is only by virtue of global support and merchandising. It would be nice to think the world could unite against this sort of behaviour and refuse to watch. Probably fantasy, but I think it would certainly cut a few of these owners down to size.

2 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Let them go. Its only a matter of time before Liverpool(let's say) changed their name to reflect their owners and/or sponsors and played their home games in Miami or the Far East.

Agreed. Let them go and form their super league - it won't spoil the leagues that are left, if anything it will improve them. 

And if they want their super league, they have to accept they will not be part of the football pyramid - they just can't be - so they will be a separate footballing entity with no way of joining in with the rest of football. It will probably work up to a point, with far eastern interest, but for the rest of football, we can just get on with proper competitive leagues and watch from afar. 

11 hours ago, kick it off said:

Can't comment on PSG but Bundesliga clubs are majority owned by fans (There's some kind of regulation stipulating this, so it's across the board, not in general). Fans have to own 51% of every Bundesliga club, which includes Bayern. There won't be any German representation in any future Euro Superleague as the fans would have to approve it, and they won't.

Some people think it's PSG taking a stand.

But doesn't the owner of PSG have a large stake in Bein Sports?

I.e one of the biggest broadcasters of the Champions League worldwide?

🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

Absolutely this. Whilst the clubs currently have the power and prestige associated with being the "top clubs", this is only by virtue of global support and merchandising. It would be nice to think the world could unite against this sort of behaviour and refuse to watch. Probably fantasy, but I think it would certainly cut a few of these owners down to size.

Trouble is that its not 'us' they are making this product for, its the hundreds of millions of Indian, Thai,  Chinese.and Arab Nations etc.  'We' are a very small percentage of the Global Market.....effectively powerless.

Edited by wcorkcanary

I have no problem with a Super League, I just have the problem of exclusivity and no relegation. Incorporate it into the European set up but with promotion and relegation and I see no problem.

My son, who has studied football as part of his Uni degree, says its rumoured its backed by an american TV company, DAZN

He says they call the current fans of these clubs 'legacy fans' and they have no interest in keeping them other than from the historical marketing  side.

They want to be charging £200+ a ticket to go to the match as a special entertainment event, like they do with some american sports.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Trouble is that its not 'us' they are making this product for, its the hundreds of millions of Indian, Thai,  Chinese.and Arab Nations etc.  'We' are a very small percentage of the Global Market.....effectively powerless.

yup, seen the existing local fan bases described as "legacy fans". It's frankly disgusting.

39 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There is a neat solution to kicking the six out of the PL. You scrap relegation, saving Sheffield United etc,  and just promote the top six from the Championship, and so on down the  pyramid...🤓

I'm sure that this would be legally challenged. I doubt that the EPL has financial muscle to bear the possible  damages if they lost.

For me I feel they should go and NEVER come back.

The footballing authorities should come out and make a formal statement, that ALL national leagues have signed up to, that:

All of the teams who Form/Join the Super League will be expelled from the national leagues and will NEVER be allowed back.

Any player playing in this Super League will never be entitled to play for their national team.

Any player signing a contract with one of the Super League clubs (after this has started) will ever be entitled to play in a national league OR Nations Team team.

If any of the big 6 bottle it they will be deducted points for next season, they want to go, then go.

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Exactly, hence why i said the world would have to unite. And that is is probably a fantasy to think these "emerging" markets give a crap.

20 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Let them go.

Its only a matter of time before Liverpool(let's say) changed their name to reflect their owners and/or sponsors and played their home games in Miami or the Far East.

Oh you mean like the 

Phoenix Liverbirds

Guangdong Gooners 

Bangkok Chickens

Kuala Lumpur Lions

Vatican Sky Blues

Vegas Red Devils 

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm sure that this would be legally challenged. I doubt that the EPL has financial muscle to bear the possible  damages if they lost.

Sorry, but WHO would challenge being given promotion?

3 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

Sorry, but WHO would challenge being given promotion?

The big 6 kicked out the league would challenge it + with owners worth tens of billions, they might outmuscle the EPL. the law doesn't really operate in the same way if you are really rich. 

6 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Mourinho just been sacked.....hmm I'm sure that's just a coincidence 

Telegraph reporting that it's because he refused to take players onto the training ground following the club's involvement with the Super League.

Astonishing if true.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Telegraph reporting that it's because he refused to take players onto the training ground following the club's involvement with the Super League.

Astonishing if true.

If that's true he would have definitely gained my respect. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Astonishing if true.

They could argue it constituted "gross misconduct" and therefore invalidate any dismissal clauses that he tends to have in his contracts.

14 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Oh you mean like the 

Phoenix Liverbirds

Guangdong Gooners 

Bangkok Chickens

Kuala Lumpur Lions

Vatican Sky Blues

Vegas Red Devils 

More likely to be

AT-T inc. Red Devils

Disney Gooners

Amazon Reds

Emirates Citizens

etc

• Like 1

"Legacy fans" demonstrates where these people are coming from. To them its a commodity pure and simple, hundreds of thousands of people round the world count for more money in the coffers and that is what it is all about. 

Maybe it is inevitable this will come about sooner or later, but to say certain clubs cannot be relegated from it is pushing it too far.  I suspect this is an opening gambit to force the rest of the football world to react and negotiate to a position that would be acceptable.  Lots of water to flow under the bridge on this.

Edited by lake district canary

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

The big 6 kicked out the league would challenge it + with owners worth tens of billions, they might outmuscle the EPL. the law doesn't really operate in the same way if you are really rich. 

If the authorities made their statement that joining such a super league would result in expulsion BEFORE the super league is officially finalised, then that should negate any legal action. (IMO) As any club signing up would understand that expulsion was a consequence.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

All this reminds of of the time when the Premier League proposal first came out. Never going to happen, death of football etc etc. In the end money talked and the big boys got their way. I'm not saying this will all happen as per the proposal but I suspect that despite the present furore there will be some movement in order to placate the Big Six.

The one thing this has taught me over the years is that the structure of English football is never fixed in stone. I don't  think that we will ever return to a time when clubs saw themselves as an integral part of their local communities and were run by local worthies. Sad, but such is life.

at least that was basically just a name change. There should always be a chance for the small clubs to rise to the top, that's the beauty of the game

32 minutes ago, Badger said:

I was posting that as a solution if the six are kicked out, rather than saying I was expecting the six to be expelled. But there is a PL rule (Rule 9) which the six are certainly in danger of breaking.