Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Looking more likely this would go ahead at a cost of expulsion from all current competitions, domestic and continental. Would be a seismic shift in the game as we know it. The only way I can see if happening is if those involved are certain to get absolutely minted from it.

And if it doesn't take off in the way that is expected, i.e. domestic leagues still attract more viewers than the Super League which could conceivably happen within the domestic market, where would that leave those clubs who have left the Premier League? They surely wouldn't be able to come straight back in.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And if it doesn't take off in the way that is expected, i.e. domestic leagues still attract more viewers than the Super League which could conceivably happen within the domestic market, where would that leave those clubs who have left the Premier League? They surely wouldn't be able to come straight back in.

It could conceivably be possible that two clubs are created. One for this competition and the other for domestic leaguea, I suppose.

Spurs and Arsenal 🤣 That would virutally kill them as clubs, they'd be the bottom 2 by a mile every season, no big player would want to sign for them, it would kill off any small % they have of being clubs that ever win anything.

Let them go. Let them find out that fans would have no interest in this and that the clubs will be banned from playing in any other level of football worldwide. Let them discover that their players will be banned from playing for their countries. If they try it they will fall flat on their faces 

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The problem is Hazza, fans are the last thing on the minds of the people behind this. The income from then in terms of gates and in stadium spending is a drop in the ocean by comparison.

But fans also watch the game on TV and buy Sky subscriptions.

I get the impression that European fans would prefer to watch their domestic league, but worldwide viewing figures in places like China and the USA may be what these clubs are looking for.

It's a dangerous game, because they're effectively risking their own fans in their own city/country in order to attract a few more on the other side of the world.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Quite possibly. Man City Under 23s in the Premier League to maintain a domestic presence.

That would surely get voted against by all the other Premier League clubs?

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The problem is Hazza, fans are the last thing on the minds of the people behind this. The income from then in terms of gates and in stadium spending is a drop in the ocean by comparison.

Yeah - we all know that with those clubs that gate receipts mean nothing to them as it’s their owners that fund them. Maybe the reason why not all the big clubs have signed up is because some see it as an opportunity to get more silverware 

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But fans also watch the game on TV and buy Sky subscriptions.

I get the impression that European fans would prefer to watch their domestic league, but worldwide viewing figures in places like China and the USA may be what these clubs are looking for.

It's a dangerous game, because they're effectively risking their own fans in their own city/country in order to attract a few more on the other side of the world.

Its basically a franchise system.

And as in the states teams could even move to a different city and loose any local flavor.

It's a rubbish idea.

Let them go if they wish but it is on two conditions: The teams can never return to any domestic competition and players that play for these clubs can no longer play International games.

Can’t see how this works at all if the super league teams stay in the national league. Can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you get 10x the revenue of those outside the league, unless you field a totally different squad (paid with a different ringfenced budget) it just doesn’t work.

Let them clear off, they all deserve each other. The fans are the ones who will suffer of course, there is no ‘history’ without the context of the football pyramid. 

Well I hope the English PL and UEFA remain true to their stance thus far and effectively tell these monstrously inflated egos precisely where to go. Irrespective of actual 'money', if these clubs ARE really excluded as mentioned, I cannot see their fans accepting it at all. At the end of the day, football fans in this country are traditionalists and (deep down) love the variety and unpredictability of domestic competition and matches at grounds such as FCR. I know some posters will say...............'they don't give a damn about their fans but just want the TV revenue generated from Asia and the US',  they will soon start to give a damn if their natives vote with their feet and these matches are played in vast empty stadiums whilst true fans pack the grounds of other English PL clubs!     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

That would surely get voted against by all the other Premier League clubs?

I think the whole thing is going to get voted against by the Premier League and its clubs anyway. Seems unlikely to stop the 'big six'.

They'd probably get away with it by keeping the official Man City in the Premier League and then creating a new one for the Super League, but the main squad would play for the latter.

Any club joining this would be banned from all other competitions. I’d be gutted not having a domestic league to compete in. This is where having a foreign owner leads to if you have no love of the club. Just in it for the profit. Can’t see this going ahead. 

I would imagine that for these big clubs at least 100x more fans pay to watch on tv than ever pay to get in the stadiums.(maybe thousands times more). Those that pay a premium rate for going to games are really just tv extras and should probably be paid accordingly.

• Like 1

If they did leave and then asked to rejoin at a later date the EPL and FA should say OK but you have to start at Nation Leagues North and South.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crafty Canary said:

If they did leave and then asked to rejoin at a later date the EPL and FA should say OK but you have to start at Nation Leagues North and South.

I'd start them lower

• Like 1

They should start at the lowest level (9th tier). That would be interesting for the tv companies. Do they want to show Man Utd v Liverpool in the 9th tier or show Mansfield v Cambridge at the top of the Premier League.....

Can't see this happening. German clubs won't do it. If the rest are not allowed to compete in their domestic leagues and their players cannot take part in the World Cup, I really just cannot imagine it going ahead.

All it needs to stop it is for EUFA and the Domestic leagues to stay strong and stick to their guns.

• Thanks 1

If they left it has tobe a one way ticket.

Then we quickly have Man U AFC, Liverpool AFC and so on. Rather like when Rangers went bust.

It will be intersting to see where the power dynamic actually lies. UEFFA, the FA and the EPL are whistling in the wind if this is serious and the elite clubs have the financial backing necessary. It would kill the EPL & the Champions League and push SkySport to massive lossses. If it is decided to ban players from international competition, even if legal, would kill the Euros and World Cup.

Of course it could be a bluff, or it may be that they don't have enough financial firepower.

10 minutes ago, BigFish said:

It will be intersting to see where the power dynamic actually lies. UEFFA, the FA and the EPL are whistling in the wind if this is serious and the elite clubs have the financial backing necessary. It would kill the EPL & the Champions League and push SkySport to massive lossses. If it is decided to ban players from international competition, even if legal, would kill the Euros and World Cup.

Of course it could be a bluff, or it may be that they don't have enough financial firepower.

Banning players who play for these clubs wouldn’t need to be legal. A national manager can merely overlook them for contention. Also how many of the players would be keen to play in a closed shop league knowing they can no longer represent their countries?

Edited by JF