Badger

Big clubs possible move could ‘end football as we know it'

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Brilliant tweet from Wrexham (Hollywood owners) saying they have declined joining the ESL. Their objective remains the EFL.

Wrexham_AFC.jpeg

• Haha 2

By the way, to anyone here who doesn't get it yet:

Collapse in revenue for teams outside the ESL would destroy Norwich City's player development business model. It would cut any PL promotion money significantly. Forget prestige. PL would become new FA cup. FA cup would simply vanish. We'd wither away in silence.

PL would be still dominated by a small number of teams, which function as farm clubs for the ESL and get the most income. Imagine ManU B and Arsenal U-23s exhanging PL trophies in semi-friendly matches (got to prevent risking the players) stating platitudes about how important PL is, and a few others kept on life support by yo-yoing in and out of ESL every few years.

Not that anyone outside core club fans would notice because who gives a s*** about PL when they get to watch Barca play against ManU every week. World Cup would become ESL players arranged by nationality playing exhibition matches against eachother. A charity event at best.

• Like 1

At the root of all this is player wages and their relentless acceleration. The only thing the top European clubs needed to agree among themselves was a wage cap. 

Instead, they fight to offer ridiculous contracts to players that really aren't worth it and, when something seismic like Covid-19 happens, scrabble around looking for additional ways to service those contracts. 

£100k pw max, say, is still a sickening amount of money to earn. Wages should have been capped and ticket and merchandising prices reduced for the fans, with extra money fairly funnelled down the leagues. 

This will just further line the pockets of the already obscenely rich players and agents. 

Edited by Fuzzar
  • Like 2

Well done to Delia and Michael for having the foresight in seeing this coming and go down the self sufficiency route.👍😀

• Like 2

Just now, Fuzzar said:

At the root of all this is player wages and their relentless acceleration. The only thing the top European clubs needed to agree among themselves was a wage cap. 

Instead, they fight to offer ridiculous contracts to players that really aren't worth it and, when something seismic like Covid-19 happens, scrabble around looking for additional ways to service those contracts. 

£100k pw max, say, is still a sickening account of money to earn. Wages should have been capped and ticket and merchandising prices reduced for the fans, with extra money fairly funnelled down the leagues. 

This will just further line the pockets of the already obscenely rich players and agents. 

I think this a big part of it. The joke of it is that PL clubs condescended EFL clubs when they offered a financial rescue package in light of Covid. They told them that clubs who wanted money needed to cut their cloth accordingly. Seems these 6 PL clubs don’t want to take their own advice. Instead of reducing their outgoings which is mostly wages, they want to carry on like there isn’t a pandemic going on that has effected everybody’s economics. This whole thing is completely tone deaf in the current world climate. They obviously don’t care that as things stand fans couldn’t afford to constantly be travelling across Europe for away games or that they’d have to quarantine for 2 weeks after. For me that’s the way to kill this dead. Governments tell those teams that they are no longer exempt from the quarantine process

• Like 1

Would also like to add that this is what happens when someone buys your club as a business concern not because they are a fan. Those clubs fans were happy to take the influx of cash from rich owners but here’s the flip side now

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Upo said:

By the way, to anyone here who doesn't get it yet:

Collapse in revenue for teams outside the ESL would destroy Norwich City's player development business model. It would cut any PL promotion money significantly. Forget prestige. PL would become new FA cup. FA cup would simply vanish. We'd wither away in silence.

PL would be still dominated by a small number of teams, which function as farm clubs for the ESL and get the most income. Imagine ManU B and Arsenal U-23s exhanging PL trophies in semi-friendly matches (got to prevent risking the players) stating platitudes about how important PL is, and a few others kept on life support by yo-yoing in and out of ESL every few years.

Not that anyone outside core club fans would notice because who gives a s*** about PL when they get to watch Barca play against ManU every week. World Cup would become ESL players arranged by nationality playing exhibition matches against eachother. A charity event at best.

I can’t agree. No one wants this. For this Super League to work, the clubs involved need to be making more money from it than they do now. They wouldn’t be allowed to compete in any domestic or UEFA competitions so that revenue is gone. Absolutely no one wants this but a few greedy owners, even the fans of those clubs don’t want it so how does it make money? TV revenue is the cash cow and if no one is prepared to pay to watch a competition then it’s dead before it begins. There is also the question of whether players are willing to give up playing internationals. I guess some will be for potentially even higher wages but many of them already have wealth beyond their wildest dreams as a kid.

I honestly think this is nothing more than those clubs flexing, trying to squeeze more money out of UEFA. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this announcement came two days after those clubs were sat in a meeting about revamping the Champions League

14 hours ago, ricardo said:

Have 1p5wich signed up for it?

Ha ha ha brilliant Ricky, just spat my morning coffee at this unexpected gem! 😂

14 hours ago, ricardo said:

Can't see how a club with a massive following, fantastic history and 13 billion quid behind it can possibly be left out.

Nothing on TWTD yet🤔

There is no breakaway from the auto windscreens shield yet 🤣

Have not read through the whole of the thread, but I do wonder if this is one of the reasons why Emi and Max etc have not jumped at the chance to join one of the clubs looking to breakaway. I suspect they may want to see how things pan out before they sign up for such clubs.

After all, who’s going to want to join a league which would render you ineligible to play in a World Cup etc? 

52 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

£100k pw max, say, is still a sickening amount of money to earn. Wages should have been capped and ticket and merchandising prices reduced for the fans, with extra money fairly funnelled down the leagues. 

Also look at the fallen “giants” Putting their names into the hat. 

They have come to realise that teams like Leicester, Ajax, Atalanta are all becoming big threats and are looking for any leverage possible.

it’s sickening.

Come on, we all know all these threats of points deduction, players exclusion from international duty etc. won’t happen. Much as they don’t like to admit it, the EPL need these teams too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Come on, we all know all these threats of points deduction, players exclusion from international duty etc. won’t happen. Much as they don’t like to admit it, the EPL need these teams too.

The EPL would have to change...but it can only be for the better if a newly promoted team can compete near the top very quickly.

The ESL is a business proposition, nothing more  and nothing less. It has nothing to do with sport.

Swiss Ramble has commented: 

"Here's a clue as to why 12 clubs have signed up for a European Super League: They lost a combined £1.2 billion in 2019/20 before player sales* And that was for a season where only the last 3 months were impacted by COVID... *Liverpool have not yet published their accounts."

• Like 1

I do applaud the statement of Gary Neville but I hope he goes further and state that he will never take a penny from the new super league formed

UEFA should ban all 12 clubs from European competition for 5 years, and the FA should tell the big six that if they play in this competition they will be suspended from the English league system. 

No messing around, there are other clubs who can win the trophies, football would go on. 

Leicester, West Ham, Everton, and dare I say it Leeds and Villa would all be title contenders. 

Good luck signing the likes of Sancho, Haaland, and Emi if you don't play league football. 

We should meet fire with fire, if clubs are prepared to destroy European football then European football should be prepared to destroy them. 

• Like 5

I think I’m being a bit thick here, but do these 6 clubs still intend to carry on being involved in all the other competitions that they currently are? Including the CL or is it all change? Are we waiting for a statement from EPL etc to find out the next move 🤔

1 minute ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I think I’m being a bit thick here, but do these 6 clubs still intend to carry on being involved in all the other competitions that they currently are? Including the CL or is it all change? Are we waiting for a statement from EPL etc to find out the next move 🤔

They want to carry on playing in both, UEFA and the PL have said that will not be allowed to happen.

• Thanks 1

It's no co-incidence that the prospect of facing the greatest footballing team to ever come out of the Championship has got these teams running scared.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, duke63 said:

They want to carry on playing in both, UEFA and the PL have said that will not be allowed to happen.

No, they want to continue in domestic leagues, but this is their closed shop replacement for the Champions League.

Unsurprisingly, going on to the fans forums of the supposed big six, they all condemn it and suggest they will go back to following local football clubs if it happens.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Unsurprisingly, going on to the fans forums of the supposed big six, they all condemn it and suggest they will go back to following local football clubs if it happens.

Thats what I've seen too. Unsurprising but pleasing to see. This is a coup and we need to fight, that includes fans of the big 6. Solidarity in numbers.

Can’t see fans of these clubs buying into trying to win a nothing trophy, nor the players. Would you rather try and win a prestigious, historic champions league, matching the astounding efforts of Gerard and co in Istanbul, Fergies United in Barcelona as they overcame Munich, or the history of the FA Cup, or win some tinpot cup created by one of the teams CEOs playing the same sides every season where nobody is there has earned there place? If there has ever been a show of flexing capitalist muscle this is it, just the big wigs at these clubs comparing the size of their manhood over a piece of nothing silverware, “oh look how good my playing squad is, financed by my questionable activities in oil farming...”

18 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

That is what they want to do - UEFA etc, have threatened that they will not let them.