Jump to content
cambridgeshire canary

Aston Villa buying Ollie Watkins for £33 million..

Recommended Posts

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12066647/ollie-watkins-aston-villa-close-to-deal-for-brentford-striker-for-club-record-fee

 

Villa sure do love to splash the cash don't they? Seems rather high for a player who's never played in the Prem before. I mean, clearly a top and very talented striker but that is a rather silly price tag to put it lightly.

 

Did of course score 26 goals for Brentford last season and all, but hell Pukki scored 29 season before.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing is for sure, Brentford have just lost one of their most important players. Don't think they'll be as far up the table without him as they were last season.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mad fee...and he races to the top of my list for biggest expected flop next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

One thing is for sure, Brentford have just lost one of their most important players. Don't think they'll be as far up the table without him as they were last season.

You say that, but they have an incredible track record of replacing stars as they get moved on. They are, in my eyes, probably the best club in England for their recruitment. 

I'm sure they'll find a replacement for Watkins who will cost a fraction of the price and go at least a fair way go replacing him. Especially with £40m (a ridiculous fee , btw)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astonishing amount, Villa certainly like to spend a lot on their players, whether they are worth it or not!  I’ve seen a fair bit of Brentford and their best player is Benrahma, I’ve always thought Watkins benefits from having him in the side and is decent enough but certainly not a £30m player. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know when people last season said

"I don't know why we can't cherry pick the best players from the championship and splash out on those, they dont cost a huge amount"

It's just ridiculous. Really good player but no guarantee of the step up - certainly less guarantee than Maddison in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Villa ought to put a bid in to us for Stuart Webber, for say £30m. 

He'd save them that much in the first couple of transfer dealings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Brentford have done pretty well there. Lost a decent player but they have already brought in Ivan Toney from posh for £5m as a replacement and he looks like he could be a handful. 

Sets the bar for any further sales we might be thinking of making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that in the end Callum Wilson preferred a move to Newcastle, but the contrast here is stark.

Watkins at 24 has just had a single standout season in the champs and goes for over 30 million, whereas Wilson is a proven PL striker and just hitting his prime and yet he's gone for 20 mil.

Watkins may prove to be a good signing, but at this stage I don't understand how anyone can really value him at nearly 15 million more than Wilson, on the back of a good season in the champs.

I appreciate there's often additional value in getting players in their younger years, but FIFTEEN million more???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Villa have paid circa £50M for 2 Championship players. 

Wow is the only word I can think of at this time

They were said to be pretty keen on Emi at one point weren't they? At this rate, we'll only sell for £60m if they come calling. They'd probably pay 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33m is absolutely insane. Che Adams cost Southampton 15m and was a year younger. 

It's transfers like this, that leave me disappointed when we sell a young, international, best left back in the league for 13.5m. Premier League clubs are there to be ripped off when you play hard ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You say that, but they have an incredible track record of replacing stars as they get moved on. They are, in my eyes, probably the best club in England for their recruitment. 

I'm sure they'll find a replacement for Watkins who will cost a fraction of the price and go at least a fair way go replacing him. Especially with £40m (a ridiculous fee , btw)

Like us they already have the replacement in the building.......Ivan Toney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Like us they already have the replacement in the building.......Ivan Toney

Toney is a great player and all but will be interesting to see if he's able to handle the step up

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

33m is absolutely insane. Che Adams cost Southampton 15m and was a year younger. 

It's transfers like this, that leave me disappointed when we sell a young, international, best left back in the league for 13.5m. Premier League clubs are there to be ripped off when you play hard ball. 

I wish people wouldn’t get so caught up on this ‘international‘ thing - it’s NI, they’ve only got a handful of players to choose from. A guy can help where he’s from (tho in his case it’s Luton), but it doesn’t make you worth any extra millions (see Sinani).

£15m + add ons for Jamal is a decent price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You say that, but they have an incredible track record of replacing stars as they get moved on. They are, in my eyes, probably the best club in England for their recruitment. 

I'm sure they'll find a replacement for Watkins who will cost a fraction of the price and go at least a fair way go replacing him. Especially with £40m (a ridiculous fee , btw)

One of the first clubs in the UK to adopt the Moneyball approach, supplemented by a network of scouts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit like willy waving and a ridiculous over the top amount to spend - it's not so much as "I mean business" as "look how much money I've got to spend".  Good player, but now has to live up to that valuation and that will not be easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I wish people wouldn’t get so caught up on this ‘international‘ thing - it’s NI, they’ve only got a handful of players to choose from. A guy can help where he’s from (tho in his case it’s Luton), but it doesn’t make you worth any extra millions (see Sinani).

£15m + add ons for Jamal is a decent price. 

And apart from that we needed to sell someone to pay for the incomings to date. I suspect the next one we sell will be rather more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Watkins is pretty good. For all the attributes he has (and probably a bit of potential on top) I reckon the fee is about right in this day and age.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shows you how poor the fee for Jamal Lewis is in comparison 

norwich shafted in the transfer market shocker 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villa also interested in Josh King from Bournemouth for £16m.  What happens to the two expensive striking signings from last season the Brazillian and the African who will not interest any clubs due to being useless.  Villa likely to struggle again have become serial strugglers in the PL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Shows you how poor the fee for Jamal Lewis is in comparison 

norwich shafted in the transfer market shocker 

Or "Norwich player who was a part of one of the worst defences in Premier leauge history ends up being cheaper than an inform striker who scored almost 30 goals shocker"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Shows you how poor the fee for Jamal Lewis is in comparison 

norwich shafted in the transfer market shocker 

No, it shows you the balance in transfer fees paid for attackers over defenders...and also what a badly run club who are going to go **** up when they get relegated looks like....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Astonishing amount, Villa certainly like to spend a lot on their players, whether they are worth it or not!  I’ve seen a fair bit of Brentford and their best player is Benrahma, I’ve always thought Watkins benefits from having him in the side and is decent enough but certainly not a £30m player. 

Of course Villa stayed up last season but only just and spent upwards of £100m. I think someone on here worked out that the vast bulk of those signings  made only very modest contributions. Brenford are a fantastic club at bringing through talent and have been handsomely rewarded with this one. Always a gamble buying a striker from the championship especially for this type of money. I suppose if he is a flop he still will have  a lot of value for a top championship club albeit few will have much or any disposable income in the next year or so 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...