cambridgeshire canary

Aston Villa buying Ollie Watkins for £33 million..

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

You know when people last season said

"I don't know why we can't cherry pick the best players from the championship and splash out on those, they dont cost a huge amount"

It's just ridiculous. Really good player but no guarantee of the step up - certainly less guarantee than Maddison in my book.

The fee is staggering- there were reports not long ago that he had a release clause around the £18m mark so no idea what has happened there- however it is pretty exceptional.

Last season Brighton got Maupay for about half this fee.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

The fee is staggering- there were reports not long ago that he had a release clause around the £18m mark so no idea what has happened there- however it is pretty exceptional.

Perhaps no one bothered to tell villa about the release clause 

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm glad you mentioned that release clause because I swore id seen that too. Wonder if it expired recently?

Its unbelievable money for what is a very good championship goalscorer - but nothing more yet.

That is Crazy Money 

Banked around 28 million and got Toney Brentford have done well  

i think we should have bought Toney for £5 million plus add on's  i think he would have done well here before we bought Hugill 

but what do i know ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

On the subject of our promotion rivals losing players, Watford have just sold Abdoulaye Doucoure to Everton for £20m.

I'd like to see Sarr move up to the Prem to weaken them further. I like him, great player.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Allan, Doucoure and Rodriguez for a combined total of £65-70m is phenomenal business in the current market. 

That's all well and good but Villa only paid £50M and they got Cash and Watkins.....

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Allan, Doucoure and Rodriguez for a combined total of £65-70m is phenomenal business in the current market. 

It does seem like it when you now see Watkins go for half of that combined total almost!

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It does seem like it when you now see Watkins go for half of that combined total almost!

I'd imagine Rodriguez is probably getting paid about 4 times the wages Watkins is tbf.

16 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

I know that in the end Callum Wilson preferred a move to Newcastle, but the contrast here is stark.

Watkins at 24 has just had a single standout season in the champs and goes for over 30 million, whereas Wilson is a proven PL striker and just hitting his prime and yet he's gone for 20 mil.

Watkins may prove to be a good signing, but at this stage I don't understand how anyone can really value him at nearly 15 million more than Wilson, on the back of a good season in the champs.

I appreciate there's often additional value in getting players in their younger years, but FIFTEEN million more???

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the value of the contract though with the Wilson fee, he was on £70k a week at Bournemouth. I'm assuming no pay cut. 

Wonder what Watkins is starting on, half that perhaps? 

There is also sell on value to consider, Wilson approaching his thirties and highly unlikely to achieve £20m again? Not impossible as I'm sure somebody would pay £10m+ for Jamie Vardy right now even with his limited time left in the game, but likely. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

13 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'm glad you mentioned that release clause because I swore id seen that too. Wonder if it expired recently?

Its unbelievable money for what is a very good championship goalscorer - but nothing more yet.

I thought in early August Brentford said that the clause didn't exist, and asked for £25m.

For the fee to reach £33m then I wonder whether the £25m was the cash up front price, and £33m is the spread over three or four years price! 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I thought in early August Brentford said that the clause didn't exist, and asked for £25m.

For the fee to reach £33m then I wonder whether the £25m was the cash up front price, and £33m is the spread over three or four years price! 

Ah, must have missed that. Makes sense!

16 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

33m is absolutely insane. Che Adams cost Southampton 15m and was a year younger. 

It's transfers like this, that leave me disappointed when we sell a young, international, best left back in the league for 13.5m. Premier League clubs are there to be ripped off when you play hard ball. 

Thought it was £15m rising to £20m in the end for Lewis? Feels about right to me, with Lewis needing some work on his decision making at both ends of the pitch. Not sure Newcastle is the right place for a player with his elegance and grace though, Bruce hardly famed for his good football is he? Although they can play a bit, usually when Shelvey is having a good day. 

Rico Henry got to have been competition for the 'best left back in the league' tag if Lewis had stayed surely? 

Comparing a left back with a free scoring forward is a bit silly though? Always been a big premium on goalscorers, hardest thing to get right but when you do you are laughing. 

Hopefully this McCallum is ready to step up this season, if not I'm sure the Spanish chap will prove decent. 

Fantastic business yet again by Brentford. Expect them to get another £20-25 million for Benrahma. Losing these two won't weaken them that significantly either, they already have players ready to come through. Keep an eye out for Marcus Forss - 21 year old Finnish player. Capped at U21 level and scored 12 in 18 for Wimbledon last season. 

Brentford's model has been fantastic. They took a risk scrapping the academy, but it's paid off 10 fold by a combination of innovative scouting and picking up youth players released from the big London clubs. Nothing too difficult really, it just shows how poor championship clubs like Derby, Sheff Wed and Notts Forest are in terms of scouting and sustainability. Almost a complete disregard to the value of a proper scouting system.

Glad to see Norwich following a similar route to the Bees. Many more clubs will have to follow though. 

What an embarrassing fee! Surely that completely smashes the championship transfer record? Who is second?

Villa are now exactly like western tourists in the east Asian countries getting charged a bomb by the locals to buy anything. It's a pity they didn't come in for Lewis!

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Thought it was £15m rising to £20m in the end for Lewis? Feels about right to me, with Lewis needing some work on his decision making at both ends of the pitch. Not sure Newcastle is the right place for a player with his elegance and grace though, Bruce hardly famed for his good football is he? Although they can play a bit, usually when Shelvey is having a good day. 

Rico Henry got to have been competition for the 'best left back in the league' tag if Lewis had stayed surely? 

Comparing a left back with a free scoring forward is a bit silly though? Always been a big premium on goalscorers, hardest thing to get right but when you do you are laughing. 

Hopefully this McCallum is ready to step up this season, if not I'm sure the Spanish chap will prove decent. 

The initial rumours were that 13.5m had been accepted. Seems like the official price is 'undisclosed'. 

I don't think it is silly at all to compare the transfers. Both players have had one excellent season in the Championship and made team of the year. Yes strikers cost more. However, we are meant to be the financially stable club that will only sell their best young talent for silly fees.

15m is a fair price for Lewis - it is pretty hard to deny that.

My point is that Premier League clubs are there to be ripped off. Our rivals are not selling their players for fair prices. I don't think we should be either. If we're so financially stable, we should be taking clubs to the cleaners like Brentford have. 

3 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

What an embarrassing fee! Surely that completely smashes the championship transfer record? Who is second?

Villa are now exactly like western tourists in the east Asian countries getting charged a bomb by the locals to buy anything. It's a pity they didn't come in for Lewis!

I think the record is probably still Moussa Sissoko when Newcastle sold him to Spurs? He is definitely the record for a player signed from this league whose never played in the top flight though.

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It feels fair to me, although it always depended on how realistic the add ons are. For instance if we get another £1m if Newcastle stay up and another £1m after he's made 50 starts for him, those feel realistic. However you do hear of some the basically involve the player winning the Ballon Dor or the signing club winning a European competition...