Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Ben Godfrey

This lad has come on so much since he has nailed a first team place. Always a threat at corners and great pace from defence (showing his midfield credentials). No wonder Daniel Farke has stated he could be world class.

And that header today was worthy of a Steve Bruce performance....the tenacity to get to it was remarkable....he was virtually horizontal as he headed the ball back across the keeper.

For all the wonderful stuff from Pukki and Buendia, this performance today was stunning. He never has a bad game.

Made the winner today.

• Like 3

Agreed.  Probably his best performance in a city shirt for me.  Was him or Trybull for my MOM.

• Like 1

Looked like he was getting forward a lot more today too. A big unit, quick and good on the ball. He will grow into the complete defensive player.

At one point in 2nd half we broke and Godfrey was 3rd Norwich player in their box.  I turned to my neighbouring fan incredulously and asked how the hell was he there?  The guy improves match on match.  Still not as good as Emi though!  But only just .....

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Spoilt for choice to name players who have improved over the season . Beautiful to watch and admire . 

I think thats down to the quality of coaching the players are receiving. Every single member of the squad, from Godfrey through to Srbeny has improved their game dramatically and just keep improving.

it's great to see young talent come through like Ben, Max and Jamal, and  with the steal that is Emi joining them, it's been the boost to the squad that we needed. 

Also, watching my Football Index portfolio rising nicely in value is pretty satisfying too!

I thought Michael Bailey summed it up well by saying that he has now caught up with Lewis and Aarons rather than looking like a young player out to impress

Who’d have honestly thought at the beginning of the season he’d be keeping Klose and Hanley out of the starting 11?

Well done Ben, and all of the youngsters. I just hope we can keep them together, I’d love to see how far they can go as a team, in a city shirt. 

19 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Who’d have honestly thought at the beginning of the season he’d be keeping Klose and Hanley out of the starting 11?

Well done Ben, and all of the youngsters. I just hope we can keep them together, I’d love to see how far they can go as a team, in a city shirt. 

This, and with Farke and Webber both at the club.

If we can keep them both - whilst maintaining the playing style, recruitment and overall improvement of the facilities, it would be fascinating to see how far they take us.

He needs to sort out those 1980s shoulder pads though😀

Watching his apperances for the Shrews last year and I knew he had talent but I also didn't think he would advance this quickly. A few games as a dm, a few as a filler elsewhere, but I didn't expect him to make and cement his position in defence.

Well done Ben.

Ben reminds me a lot like Rio Ferdinand. A good centre back, comfortable on the ball, starts play from the back, great at set pieces. I think he will go on and have a successful career like Ferdinand. 

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Ben reminds me a lot like Rio Ferdinand. A good centre back, comfortable on the ball, starts play from the back, great at set pieces. I think he will go on and have a successful career like Ferdinand. 

Preferably without the merking.

From Martin, Whittaker, Bennett, Bassong, Turner to Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey, Zimbo in just a season or two..have to pinch myself at times at the transformation of our defence, from an old aged and struggling to keep up defence to a massively younger defence that has the energy of youth and to strive forward but also be such a solid unit at the back. Having this and it being part of a Championship winning elect  team that cant stop winning..its stunning, simply stunning. Daniel Farke has been genius getting these young guys into a unit and also recognising the potential of Godfrey as a CB.

Should the Prem be our destination next season, which is now very much  becoming a reality, i truly hope DF can keep all these lads together, will be exciting to see what they can do up against the likes of Aguero etc. Well done Ben Godfrey, well done DF. OTBC.

Edited by Essjayess
added word
  • Like 1

Ben Godfrey has met every challenge this season very well indeed, has, as you say ' settled' into CB position as if he was born to it. Now looking composed and have seen him take control of situations when decisive action is needed.Tries to play out, or bring out the ball with pacey , powerful runs, but when required will hit row Z. 

Would anyone have figures for our squad value in August 18........and it's value now. It would make very interesting reading.

8 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Just a mention for our goalie at this stage, there's no doubt that he's had a massive impact on how our back four have developed over the course of the season. So when he gets a 7/10 for his own performance he's also helped those in front of him to raise their game. 

13 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Just a mention for our goalie at this stage, there's no doubt that he's had a massive impact on how our back four have developed over the course of the season. So when he gets a 7/10 for his own performance he's also helped those in front of him to raise their game. 

Are you saying there's more to what Krul does other than shot stopping and distribution? 

Hmmmm, interesting 😜

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Would anyone have figures for our squad value in August 18........and it's value now. It would make very interesting reading.

It's quite astonishing.   The amount of players we have bought in for little or no money or brought through the youth system and that have proved themselves at this level is quite remarkable.  Taking the 18 players that were in the squad for Saturday and you would be hard pressed to think of many of them that are worth less than £10m.   One or two maybe, but each and every one of  them has proved they are up to this level, with the thinking behind quite a few of them that they would be up to PL standard too.

Just now, lake district canary said:

It's quite astonishing.   The amount of players we have bought in for little or no money or brought through the youth system and that have proved themselves at this level is quite remarkable.  Taking the 18 players that were in the squad for Saturday and you would be hard pressed to think of many of them that are worth less than £10m.   One or two maybe, but each and every one of  them has proved they are up to this level, with the thinking behind quite a few of them that they would be up to PL standard too.

Zimmerman must have appreciated considerably.

Yes Godfrey has generally been immense.The odd little error in terms of positioning such as Martin's goal last week but on each occasion he has bounced back with a massive performance in the next game and generally looks fantastic. He has all the attributes to be a very top defender as he has both pace and strength to recover. he also seems to be increasingly confident bring the ball out of defence and making the odd break forward. I think there was a counter about 5 minutes from the end of the game on saturday where he appeared in the Rotherham box!

6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes Godfrey has generally been immense.The odd little error in terms of positioning such as Martin's goal last week but on each occasion he has bounced back with a massive performance in the next game and generally looks fantastic. He has all the attributes to be a very top defender as he has both pace and strength to recover. he also seems to be increasingly confident bring the ball out of defence and making the odd break forward. I think there was a counter about 5 minutes from the end of the game on saturday where he appeared in the Rotherham box!

I think he was in the Rotherham box when he scored!

You have to give a great deal of credit to Farke and his coaching team.  I think most of us saw Godfrey as Tettey's replacement in a defensive midfield role.  Farke sees his centre backs as more than just stoppers - he demands that they are good with the ball at their feet as well.  This enables us to play the way we do, using Lewis and Aarons as outlets and also having trust in Krul as a ball-playing goalkeeper.  It also enables Godfrey to move forward confidently into a midfield position when he needs to because of how comfortable he is with the ball.  Klose does this very well too.

15 minutes ago, Woodman said:

You have to give a great deal of credit to Farke and his coaching team.  I think most of us saw Godfrey as Tettey's replacement in a defensive midfield role.  Farke sees his centre backs as more than just stoppers - he demands that they are good with the ball at their feet as well.  This enables us to play the way we do, using Lewis and Aarons as outlets and also having trust in Krul as a ball-playing goalkeeper.  It also enables Godfrey to move forward confidently into a midfield position when he needs to because of how comfortable he is with the ball.  Klose does this very well too.

Exactly this. Also big compliments to Farke (yes, I'm using HIS terminology) for spotting Ben's potential as a CB.

He may well be, one day, "world class" as Farke predicted.

Oh yes, I was pretty cynical when he said that. I thought Farke was tagging him along a bit to keep a Brit in the squad and the player was going along with it until the next manager came along.

27 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Tbf, Alex Neil also was convinced Godfrey's future was at CB. I didn't agree but clearly I was wrong!