Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match thread v Portsmouth*****

Bollox. Hit by the last minute counter. Nevermind, did alright with ten men for most of the game.

What a farce this competition has become when I'm genuinely sat here thinking... cool no reply... no distractions... when that 90+5 goal went in.

• Like 1

Always disappointing to go out of the cup. Playing a second string side, I’m not sure a replay would have been too much bother (and could have perhaps given squad players a chance to get sharper). Can’t be too upset with the performance though given that it was a second string side and we played with 10 men for most of the game.

• Like 2

I’d never want us to lose, but I’m not going to lie - a weekend off giving the lads a chance to recharge themselves could truly be for the far greater good regarding our number 1 target this season. Not gutted by this in the slightest, dare I say it, but nevertheless, nice to see a largely second string get some minutes on the pitch 👍

• Like 1

Zimmermann MOM. Passlack did well and McLean looks handy. Rhodes and Srbeny non existent, Marshall meh at best. Glad we are out rather than a replay.

I'd rather Hanley fail that audition than one at WBA.

Most refs would have given Hanley a yellow for that challenge, that early in the game - it wasn't out of control dangerous and it wasn't a "clear" goalscoring opportunity. It was clumsy and oafish but not usually a straight red. Apart from that, they played OK without any kind of cutting edge so just like most of last season. The ball fell for Portsmouth when it needed to so we could avoid a replay, just as I was wondering whether we could just concede an own goal.

The players who came in were clearly rusty. Those of you who think Passlack is worth a place in the first team - were we watching the same player?

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Zimmermann MOM. Passlack did well and McLean looks handy. Rhodes and Srbeny non existent, Marshall meh at best. Glad we are out rather than a replay.

I'd rather Hanley fail that audition than one at WBA.

Agree with all of those. Cantwell had a good, busy game too.

• Like 1

Just now, Chelm Canary said:

How did Passlack play? 

Intrigued as I've never seen the bloke play and he comes from a big club. 

Put it this way, providing we got promoted, I’d be happy if we signed him permanently in the summer - Aarons and Passlack would be good as our 2 choices at RB, the others we could move on. Passlack has great ability, no question - but then he wouldn’t be at Dortmund if that wasn’t the case. Klopp a big fan apparently. 

Given that Passlack hasn't featured in the league once and Dortmund haven't hauled him back, there must be some trust in Farke that he's going to coach Passlack to his full potential.

Also, farke must see something to want to keep him here. 

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

Given that Passlack hasn't featured in the league once and Dortmund haven't hauled him back, there must be some trust in Farke that he's going to coach Passlack to his full potential.

Also, farke must see something to want to keep him here. 

There isn’t a recall clause in the contract apparently. Feel Dortmund might have given up on him slightly to be honest. 

Really not bothered in the least to be out of the cup THIS year. It's our league matches now that define our season. And yet we've rested some players, and given fringe players some time on the pitch.

Marshall? Not sure still on him. Yet had to play out of position

McLean ... promising

Passlack... curate's egg

Srbeny...not his best

Zimmerman....MOTM

McGovern...not so great

6/10 performance. So glad no replay.

5 minutes ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

I think Passlack has also been victim of the homegrown rule this season.  He showed lots of positives today.

Totally agree.

Like many others I feel relief for avoiding a rematch, and judging from Farke's subs, wanted it to be decided one way or another.. We dropped out in style in a reasonably entertaining game, playing ten men for most of the time. No disgrace in that. The league, at this point,  is far, far more important. 

OTBC

Fair result today. They were very dangerous attacking and we lacked quality in the last 3rd. Todd was excellent today. Not impressed with Passlack or Marshall but mcClean is quality. 

I am happy we lost as we need to really go for the league title. 

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Totally agree.

True to some extent. But Pinto was on the bench v Brentford ahead of him but then Passlack started tonight ahead of Pinto. So not sure the homegrown rule is the full reason.

Farke is also happy to have Srbeny on the bench when he already has a striker in Rhodes available. I think the homegrown thing is a slightly convenient excuse and Passlack could be on the bench easily is Farke wanted him there. 

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Totally agree.

He is no where near as good as Arrans

38 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Most refs would have given Hanley a yellow for that challenge, that early in the game - it wasn't out of control dangerous and it wasn't a "clear" goalscoring opportunity. It was clumsy and oafish but not usually a straight red. Apart from that, they played OK without any kind of cutting edge so just like most of last season. The ball fell for Portsmouth when it needed to so we could avoid a replay, just as I was wondering whether we could just concede an own goal.

The players who came in were clearly rusty. Those of you who think Passlack is worth a place in the first team - were we watching the same player?

It was a red card all day long! He was last defender and it was a clear goal scoring chance. The referee was correct. Look at the players, including Hanleys reaction. That should tell you something!

Dont think I have ever felt so mello getting home from a game that we lost.

So many positives, Todd back on form, it was Todd wasnt it?😀

Players returning from injury, played with 10 men but never really looked like it, Zimmerman is back to his best, Big Ben growing bigger and better with every game.

Strangely happy.

Edited by Van wink