Sign in to follow this  
ncfc fan

If we get relegated Alex Neil needs to be sacked

Although I don''t think we should get rid of Neil, if you look at the situation as his objective was to keep us in Prem, and he doesn''t do that, then (ignoring the other factors, bad transfers and refs etc), hasn''t he failed his and the club''s objective? Whether or not that is a mortal failure is up for the club to decide I suppose

If Neil did all the scouting, decided tactics, picked the team and played in every position, then yes, he should take all the responsibility. Since, last time I looked, he doesn''t, the sensible thing to do is look at on balance how much of the failure is down to him. While he is definitely not blameless, IMHO much of the blame lies elsewhere.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]People who immediately cry out for sacking the manager when things aren''t going so well are the real idiots in my view.

The simple fact is we don''t have the quality in the squad: 2nd cheapest in the league. The effort has been there, the ideas have been there, it has always been individual quality where it has fallen over. Timm Klose singlehandedly made a difference to that and things were turning around, now he''s out of action and we''ve had it.

AN has done a good job with the resources at his disposal. Fact is that you can''t polish a turd.[/quote]

I don''t think we will sack him if we go down and personally i would be ambivalent to whether we did. He may well bring us back up again because he did quite well in the championship (but i would give him no more than 10 games to have us up there).

However i would take issue with the claim he has done a good job this season. I would say you could class his performance as ok at best, quite possibly poor.

The reason for this is that I don;t really see where he has won us any points through any managerial excellence or through any "in game" decisions that have changed the shape of a game and I think he;s made quite a few mistakes with team selections, tactics and substitutions (or lack of timely substitutions) that have cost us points. Perhaps the selections at man U away and home to Arsenal are the only two instances where i think we''ve gained points due to a good tactical approach/selection.

Realistically, for us to avoid a relegation fight this season with our squad we needed the manager to get more from the team than the sum of its parts. Lambert, during his time with us was worth half a dozen extra points through his ability (or perhaps lucky knack) to read the game and make changes that saw us score late goals or win games we perhaps did not deserve to. Neil does not have that (yet).

"IF" we get relegated i''d still like AN at the Helm, he knows how to run a promotion campaign having been successful with two of them (Hamilton & Us)

The question i''d ask is who would be better at the helm if we end up in the Championship?

He also probably has two transfer plans already in place for the summer, one for Champs (should the worst happen) and the one for PL once our survival is guaranteed.

Andy G has hit the nail on the head.

Who do you replace Neil with? And with replacing Neil that means replacing all of the coaching staff. So let''s hear your realistic alternatives! (Unfortunately Jose looks like he might be going to PSG...)

If we do get relegated, and I don''t think we will, AN is the man to get us back up. He''s done it once, what more of a track record do you want than that.

Recent Norwich history would support a change in the summer.

The last three managers in charge of a relegated team have gone on to be given the job to get us up and each has gone before January!

Worthy, Gunn and Adams, so will Neil follow that pattern?

I believe we have to go with Neil, we have to hope he gets full backing from the board in terms of finances and last that players want to stay to give it go to get back up.

I will be so disappointed if he resigns or is sacked at the end of the season. All of us are in agreement that we''ve had a poor last few transfer windows under different managers. We''ve improved the squad slightly in the last two but we started from a poor position and in typical NCFC fashion we''ve lost our best player and the catalyst for our upturn in form Klose.

We''ve been on some poor runs this year but it seems the majority of our fanbase are still behind Neil which says a lot! Particularly in this era.

As shown last year you can still get promoted after a very average first half of the season in the Championship. For me we risk very little in keeping AN next season. But whatever happens it''s down to our scouting network and football board to prove their worth for once and improve our team. They''ve let us down so badly in the last couple of seasons, they owe it to us to make up for it this summer.

If we''re struggling outside the play offs before the Jan window I think we''d consider a change based on circumstance. But I can''t think of anyone more qualified, in our price range to lead a promotion charge next year than AN.

If anyone''s paid any attention to my posts you''d know I always try to support the club, even if my defenses make me sound a bit mental at times but I do honestly believe now we''re not going to survive this year. So that''s why I''m talking about next year as if we''ll be a championship team, sorry, but i just don''t think we''ve got enough quality to get the results.

Ricky

"We''ve been on some poor runs this year but it seems the majority of our fanbase are still behind Neil which says a lot! Particularly in this era. "

I think your right Ricky, the fans are sticking with him and that''s good news, says a lot about the regard in which he is held and also the quality of our fans. If we go down or stay up, I''m sure Alex will learn from the experience and use it to motivate himself and the team in the future.

On the assumption that the worst does happen.

Hull kept Bruce and Burnley kept Dyche. Both have a decent opportunity of returning to the top flight at the first time of asking. For me that should be our blueprint and way of attacking it next season if we need to.

Personally, I''d keep Neil and review the football board to ensure that the correct recruitment of players is carried out this summer. That''s the main reason we''ve fallen down this season.

Neil has made some tactical errors this season but it''s worth remembering that he''s managed a grand total of 63 competitive games in England and he''ll have learnt a lot from this season.

Why would we want to effectively allow another club to benefit from those experiences by letting him go?

Jackie

"Personally, I''d keep Neil and review the football board to ensure that the correct recruitment of players is carried out this summer. That''s the main reason we''ve fallen down this season. "

Nail on head Jacko. The FB really should be held to account.

He has his weaknesses - perhaps one is to continue with "favoured" players when they should be dropped, another is an inability to motivate for the big occasions (-the Wembley game was a great exception).

I would criticize him most for signing some mediocre players, Pinto, Jarvis, Wisdome, even Naismith, but how far was this his fault, and how far either the scouts or others who recommended them, or the club unwilling to spend money?

I have said it before, but with the exception of Klose we lack top quality players who can turn a game on their own. We have some very good players, Howson, Brady and Redmond at his best, but generally we have honest strivers who are short of Premiership quality.

If we are ever to survive in the Premiership, we shall need to grow some outstanding players, or else be prepared to spend real money.

So he can''t motivate the players, with the exception of the times he has and the players aren''t good enough with the exception of the ones that are. Great stuff ! 😀

We stick with him in the same way that Burnley and Hull have remained loyal to their managers.

Changing managers often is NOT the solution.

It''s obvious he''ll be kept on even if we go down and that would be the right decision IMO.

One good thing, if we do go down, is that suddenly all the commentators will be saying we have a squad full of Premier league players.  which will be a refreshing change from being told most of them are championship players this year.

I don''t need to post on this forum because Nuff Said has the same opinions and always beats me to it. (Er, at least in this one and the shocking Ched-thread.)

Please can everyone consider his posts as worth 2 in future and I will spare the forum the double posts. (On the same principle, the opinions of a poster with multiple accounts would be worth a fraction of an individual adult''s) Thanks.

Nuff said!

I think the thing with anyone managing Norwich in the Prem is that that they will always lack the finances of most of the competition so they''ve got to be the type who can find that bit extra from the players they''ve got.

I''m not sure AN has really shown he''s got that kind of savvy at this level. But we''re not down yet.

this is my thoughts i did think AN was the man that could get that little extra out of players ,

AN and his coaches have not improved one of our players this year which is my biggest worry in fact some players have either stood still or got worse

i do agree we need a manager who stays for years in the alex mould young hungry but like others have said as we can not spend as much as others we need a manager who will get that extra out of players get them playing above their ability and gel a team

this i think AN has failed this year in my opinion

we have 4 right backs none which you would 2 signed by AN

players go missing after a few games never to be seen again

my worry is stay with him if we go down then if we are lucky to go up finding AN is not good enough for the premier again thats alot of time and money spent in 2 season backing someone who if / has taken us down

is he a great manager ? or a hughton type who gets teams up and looks great in championship then fails at the top table ??????

those are my doubts

[quote user="norfolkngood"]this is my thoughts i did think AN was the man that could get that little extra out of players ,

AN and his coaches have not improved one of our players this year which is my biggest worry in fact some players have either stood still or got worse

i do agree we need a manager who stays for years in the alex mould young hungry but like others have said as we can not spend as much as others we need a manager who will get that extra out of players get them playing above their ability and gel a team

this i think AN has failed this year in my opinion

we have 4 right backs none which you would 2 signed by AN

players go missing after a few games never to be seen again

my worry is stay with him if we go down then if we are lucky to go up finding AN is not good enough for the premier again thats alot of time and money spent in 2 season backing someone who if / has taken us down

is he a great manager ? or a hughton type who gets teams up and looks great in championship then fails at the top table ??????

those are my doubts[/quote]A great example of how someone should have paid more attention at school during english lessons.

[quote user="Paul"]He may of got us promoted through the play off final but this year he hasn''t done anything for us. He may as well move on at the end of the season back to Scotland where he cane from![/quote]Of course he should keep his job if we''re relegated - he''s made a few dubious signings, of two or three that may depart, and he needs to prove his/their worth. A better question to pose would be one of whether or not he should remain as manager if we do stay up - which I reckon we will.

A great example of how someone should have paid more attention at school during english lessons.

til this is a football forum not a engish exam !

i am a very lazy writer , grammar is not important to me never has been ,

does that mean my opinion is not worth reading ?

Make the effort and people may read what you have written rather than skipping most of it. If it''s too hard then people won''t bother.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]A great example of how someone should have paid more attention at school during english lessons. til this is a football forum not a engish exam ! i am a very lazy writer , grammar is not important to me never has been , does that mean my opinion is not worth reading ?[/quote]

Yes it does.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]A great example of how someone should have paid more attention at school during english lessons.

til this is a football forum not a engish exam !

i am a very lazy writer , grammar is not important to me never has been ,

does that mean my opinion is not worth reading ?[/quote]It may well be worth reading but not after three attempts at trying to work out what the content actually means.