Sign in to follow this  
Kirby_86

Simon Lappin has left

[quote user="Kathy "]Lappinitup, you''re going to have to change your name to something else. ****itup. Be careful![/quote]Not so Kathy. I was registered on this board long before he signed for us. He changed his name by deed poll out of admiration for me. [:D]He''ll always have my respect for seeing Roeder off. A better footballer than many made him out to be although not up to Premier League standard. Good luck Simon.

Top pro.  Sad to see him go, but glad he can go and play football every week elsewhere.  Be a good signing for a Champ club.  Best of luck Lapps.

BTW - one for the statisticians. I know he''s started only a handful of games since we got promotion,but was he ever on the losing side in the Prem? If not, anyone know how many games since he was last on the losing side?

Great to see such a positive thread for one of my favourite players.

I hope this deal has been done to see Simon right.

I loved the way he wore his heart on his sleeve and how much he respected Norwich City. Simon put in some very good Premier League performances and deserves ''Premier League Player'' on his CV. He was a figure to latch onto during the dark days and his renaissance was Norwich City''s too.

I for one loved those days when we didn''t have two ha''pennys to rub together but we had characters with spirit burning up League 1 and The Championship, we really were ''all in it together'' in those days which for all it''s other attractions the EPL does not have.

I hope you find a great Club, sorry to see you go and THANK YOU ''King of Spain.''

Farewell ''King of Spain''!  A great servant of the club. Here''s hoping you find a good club that appreciates your commitment and loyalty.

I must be the only one that thinks he''s just sat around for the last 2-3 years happy to get payed and not play, bit of a drain on wages. Most say complete professional, the cynic in me is inclined to say not very ambitious, happy to barely make the bench for so long and just pick up a wage.

Anyway always put a shift in when called upon so good luck Simon.

All the very best to a very loyal player. He suffered by the club advancing beyond his personal ability levels which were really league 1/championship. I for one wish him all the best in the future goodbye to the king of Spain

A real hero :( Sad times.Still he has been a bit player even in the Championship, whoever picks him up on a free is getting a bargin :)

So sad to see such a loyal player leave us, good luck Simon and thankyou, your next club will be lucky to have such a model professional onboard.

Sorry to see him go, I''ll always have very fond memories of our squad from that League 1 campaign and he typified the team''s approach that led to us winning that year.  Inevitable that it would happen sooner or later, hope he gets a good move.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I must be the only one that thinks he''s just sat around for the last 2-3 years happy to get payed and not play, bit of a drain on wages. Most say complete professional, the cynic in me is inclined to say not very ambitious, happy to barely make the bench for so long and just pick up a wage. Anyway always put a shift in when called upon so good luck Simon.[/quote]

I say he''s a complete professional because at any time when he wasn''t getting in the team he could of thrown his toys out of the pram. He could of also look disinterested when he was given a chance. Instead he kept it to himself, didn''t make any Tevez style headlines and gave his all whenever he was asked to play. Sure he wasn''t a great player but I don''t think you can fault him for attitude.

Good luck Simon and I hope you find a team soon.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I must be the only one that thinks he''s just sat around for the last 2-3 years happy to get payed and not play, bit of a drain on wages. Most say complete professional, the cynic in me is inclined to say not very ambitious, happy to barely make the bench for so long and just pick up a wage. Anyway always put a shift in when called upon so good luck Simon.[/quote]

I say he''s a complete professional because at any time when he wasn''t getting in the team he could of thrown his toys out of the pram. He could of also look disinterested when he was given a chance. Instead he kept it to himself, didn''t make any Tevez style headlines and gave his all whenever he was asked to play. Sure he wasn''t a great player but I don''t think you can fault him for attitude.

[/quote]

This is nonsense. If you''re Ronaldo or Messi and you''re being left out of the team for no good reason you might be entitled to complain, but we''re taking about a journeyman player who was being extremely well paid in comparison to the vast majority of the population. I find it bizarre that he is being complimented for just behaving just as he should have done.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I must be the only one that thinks he''s just sat around for the last 2-3 years happy to get payed and not play, bit of a drain on wages. Most say complete professional, the cynic in me is inclined to say not very ambitious, happy to barely make the bench for so long and just pick up a wage.

Anyway always put a shift in when called upon so good luck Simon.[/quote]Very well said.

Being frozen out by Glenn Roeder was the best thing that ever happened to Simon Lappin. And for all the talk of loyalty I''m pretty sure he had the opportunity to move back up to Scotland during this time but the team who were interested (Motherwell?) couldn''t afford his wages. He got a second chance because of how far we fell (something that signings of his calibre undoubtedly contributed to) and then played an important part in our League One campaign. He was marginalised to a certain extent in the Championship and later in the Premier League but always tried his hardest and never let anyone down. A half decent pro but I''ve never really understood the hero worship. Good luck to him in the next stage of his career.

How people can criticize him is beyond me.May i remind you he earned his contracts by playing good football.Mr Holt - take note. Loyalty costs nothing.

Thanks for the years of service always a model professional even when told he had no future under Roeder and proved him wrong. All the best for the future.

For those saying he sat around earning wages, he doesn''t pick the team if he wants to play for Norwich city but the manager does not then its not his fault.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Davo"]

[/quote]

This is nonsense. If you''re Ronaldo or Messi and you''re being left out of the team for no good reason you might be entitled to complain, but we''re taking about a journeyman player who was being extremely well paid in comparison to the vast majority of the population. I find it bizarre that he is being complimented for just behaving just as he should have done.

[/quote]

It''s no more nonsense than you calling someone who has only played for 4 clubs (two of which were loans) by the age of 30 as a journeyman. Scott Parker had played for 6 clubs by the time he was 30. Christiano Ronaldo has played for three clubs, with rumours that we wants away from Madrid and he''s three years younger. Fat Ronaldo was on his 5th club by then. Lappin can be described as many things but journeyman is not one of them.

His behaviour may be what you would expect as normal behaviour but footballers don''t behave the way us supporters do. His attitude was right but it would of been just as easy for him to complain to the press and kick up a fuss. He has behaved professionally, especially when he was training with the youth team during Roeder''s stint, when we know footballers who have no where near that amount of professionalism. He did however unfortunately lack the talent to be a top player.

Davo

Whatever way you look at it Simon Lappin built a relationship with the fans that lasted throughout the fall and rise 2009-12. Many of our heroes have had questionable ability and were journeymen. The late great Trevor Hockey played only a handful of games and was a journeyman but for many of us is one of the club''s all time greats. Having these heroes is a lot of  what being a supporter is about.

"Great servant"- erm what? He is earning a shed load (compared to the rest of us) and instead of going out looking for first team football he was happy to sit on the bench.Waste of a wage."

Seriously, you need to take a long hard look at yourself buddy - that kind of attitude stinks!

What you have said could be said about any number of our players not currently in the starting 11. If they are all such a waste we would have a squad of 18 or something equally stupid.

Lappin has been fantastic for us, I believe behind the scenes he helps a lot too. Always eager and always ready. Perhaps even one of those rare players that knows his limitations and worked twice as hard as a result.

Will go down as a club hero in my books, simply for wanting to stick at a club that he licked and related too and had the burning desire to prove his doubters wrong. Was a massive part of the team that got us to the Premiership and deserves credit for that too.

I hope he can go out and play for a decent Championship side and enjoy his footy as much as he has with us. A true down to earth chap - one of us even.

There will only ever be one king of Spain. Goodluck.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Davo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Funny that. Between 1997 and this day Simon had two clubs: St. Mirren and City. He decided to stay when times were getting rough, and others chose to turn their backs on the club. He provided invaluable help in turning our fortunes around.

Sad day for me was always a fav of mine, and like other postershave said  here, he was a loyal servant to the club.I hope our paths cross again one day he deserves an ovation from the yellow and green faithfull.

I feel for him, I really do. Such a model professional with a sweet left foot - but sadly the Prem is one step above hard work and the King of Spain.

He was a huge part of keeping the team together and pushing for back-to-back promotions, and despite his treatment under Roeder never gave up.

I can only be thankful for his time here, and hope that he gets picked up by a good club, because he deserves that. And Kudos to Norwich for letting him go in full knowledge he was far from the first team.

All the best Lapps!

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Davo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s no more nonsense than you calling someone who has only played for 4 clubs (two of which were loans) by the age of 30 as a journeyman. Scott Parker had played for 6 clubs by the time he was 30. Christiano Ronaldo has played for three clubs, with rumours that we wants away from Madrid and he''s three years younger. Fat Ronaldo was on his 5th club by then. Lappin can be described as many things but journeyman is not one of them.

His behaviour may be what you would expect as normal behaviour but footballers don''t behave the way us supporters do. His attitude was right but it would of been just as easy for him to complain to the press and kick up a fuss. He has behaved professionally, especially when he was training with the youth team during Roeder''s stint, when we know footballers who have no where near that amount of professionalism. He did however unfortunately lack the talent to be a top player.

Davo

[/quote]

A journeyman in sport is a solid professional with limited ability as opposed to a really gifted player. It has nothing to do with how many clubs he''s played for. A journeyman is exactly what Lappin is.